• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Confessions from purported ex-EA Viral Marketer who knows their M&A strategy somehow

Nabs

Llyranor

Ha. I remember being accused of being a viral marketer by someone in the iOS thread for having lots of praise for a 1$ SRPG. I even got it during a free promotion.

In all seriousness, this guy is probably a counter-viral marketer from Valve. Think about it. Valve knows that Origin has added a variety of exciting new publishers and developers as partners in digital distribution lately, and the deals just keep getting better and better. Why stick with the past when the future is clear? The Origin of the future starts today at http://store.origin.com

Mr2day

I do wonder about the...zeal, sometimes, in certain official threads. I always just figured it's standard game community worship/cultism/fanboyism/I-numb-my-self-loathing-with-obsession thought processes, but sometimes it feels like more than that. Not sure how much of this stuff is true though. Maybe he's a viral marketer for Activision.

shyamalantwist.jpg

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
My favorite part is where they ask about whether they pressure game journalists to use the "entitled" nonsense argument when people complain about EA games, and Andromeda's just like, "no, oddly enough that's all on them". LOL.

Vire

Some people are just inexplicable fanboys though.

See Mr.Whitta when it comes to Apple.

P.S.

I love you Gary.

Corto

Ha. I remember being accused of being a viral marketer by someone in the iOS thread for having lots of praise for a 1$ SRPG. I even got it during a free promotion.

There's nothing wrong in an old fashioned witch hunt. The false positives are very infrequent. God will tell them apart.

LuchaShaq

Banned
There was one troll/psyco in rage OT/rage reviews thread I would have bet anything was a viral marketer. Personal out of line attacks on reviewers who gave it low score, calling people who were distracted by pop in liars etc. Got banned for OT comments I believe though.

Some people are just inexplicable fanboys though.

See Mr.Whitta when it comes to Apple.

P.S.

I love you Gary.

Love gary but even as someone who owns an iphone he is hilariously out of touch at times.

OMG REVOLUTIONARY VOICE DICTATION.

Oh what my Android phone did 2+ years ago when I had it?

Also Gary is a viral marketer for Bayda Bass and their book of eli music video.

Grymm

Banned
I can almost undoubtedly name some of these guys between the different EA forums and I'd almost go so far as to say I could name 1 or two here on GAF. NM fuck almost, I can definitely name 1 or two who I would suspect were are on GAF.

I'm not gonna spit out any screen names but I'll put it like this. These same two dudes who were in every thread here about Origin defending EA, like the Origin is spyware thread etc were the same two dudes bumping the Battlefield 3 OT when CoDMW3 came out were the same two dudes defending EA during the Tiger Woods PC scandal who also happen to be big DA2 defenders.

That shit makes me sick and I know there's no way to verify who is and isn't employed by EA's reputation.com force,and EA isn't the only company that does it, but sometimes it's just too fucking obvious. The make up of forums today and how we have to be all sensitive and shit and not call anybody out on this stuff makes it rough because you're getting corporate trolled.

I don't know, I'm glad this came out because hopefully GAF can find a way to stop this. I don't know how exactly, my only thought would be the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, so if someone is just an over bearing corporate zealot maybe it's best just to cut that person off for the good of the rest of the board.

NZNova

Somehow I'm imagining a future where a gaming forum is populated entirely by viral marketers slinging slogans at each other, the actual gaming public having long since abandoned it...

I wonder if this comes as any surprise to anyone. Especially here on GAF where we tend to be a bit more savvy. Still, surprise or not, what a seedy practice.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
I don't know, I'm glad this came out because hopefully GAF can find a way to stop this. I don't know how exactly, my only thought would be the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, so if someone is just an over bearing corporate zealot maybe it's best just to cut that person off for the good of the rest of the board.

All you can do is ignore it or go to town on them as calling them out on it doesn't really add much to the conversation. I recall the dedicated server issues surrounded Modern Warfare or the EA-Steam bullshit; I stood by my convictions in each thread and there was always a person or three who was clueless but easily could have been a viral marketer trying to smother whatever flames there were.

Cipherr

This is ridiculous. In no way could I see EA hiring people to pimp their games. Instead of reading this rubbish you guys should be playing the exciting new SSX available RIGHT NOW.

In all seriousness, this guy is probably a counter-viral marketer from Valve. Think about it. Valve knows that Origin has added a variety of exciting new publishers and developers as partners in digital distribution lately, and the deals just keep getting better and better. Why stick with the past when the future is clear? The Origin of the future starts today at http://store.origin.com

Lol, GAF is on fire today.

Also notice the point where he said to expect another buyout from EA soon that "no one will be happy with".

I was trying to come up with worst case scenario studio buyouts. My first nightmare was Valve, but they arent publicly traded so meh.

The 8 Remaining Worst Company In America Contenders Sure Are An Elite Bunch!

wcia_bracket_2012_round3.png

SCHEDULE OF ROUND 3 BOUTS:
March 27
* Bank of America vs. Ticketmaster
* PayPal vs. Walmart

March 28
* 10:00 a.m. ET: Facebook vs. AT&T
* Noon ET: Comcast vs. EA

http://consumerist.com/2012/03/the-...in-america-contenders-are-an-elite-bunch.html

This image is amazing. UPS versus USPS = epic.

LuchaShaq

Banned
What if I was an EA viral marketer? That would blow some fucking minds wouldn't it? :D

Reverse psychology I like it! Make EA haters seem so angry/foaming at the mouth that they must be crazy and EA is great!
jk obviously we disagree alot but no hate

There was one troll/psyco in rage OT/rage reviews thread I would have bet anything was a viral marketer. Personal out of line attacks on reviewers who gave it low score, calling people who were distracted by pop in liars etc. Got banned for OT comments I believe though.

Well, this sounds more like a borderline crazy fanboy, I bet these professional viral marketers tend to be more sublime.

But I too met some suspects an GAF myself, where I am quite sure, that they get paid to defend everything. Shitty times....

Chairman Yang

if he talks about books, you better damn well listen
Everything the former EA viral marketer says is either verifiably true or has the ring of truth.

Let's hope EA sinks quickly before it continues its moronic, anti-consumer, value-destroying activities.

Easy_D

never left the stone age

Always knew something was up with you.. You were always just a bit too positive about the amazing products offered by EA

spirity

This actually makes me think of games I've stood up for in the past, when it seemed like I was almost the only one into it. Skyrim comes to mind, which has gone from strength to strength through a robust program of patches and a development team that puts the consumer first. www.bethsoft.com

Seriously though, I've always suspected the viral marketeer thing, not just here but in other forums. But I've usually put it down to me being paranoid. I guess you just don't know.

Always knew something was up with you.. You were always just a bit too positive about the amazing products offered by EA

So, yesterday I was feeling pretty ill, so I decided to take a ride on my snowboard through the scenic countryside of Kirkwall and the Free Marches, finally ending up in the grand city of Mirror's Edge. It was my Origin, the town where I grew up. It had everything I needed, free from the Steam-base cities of confusion. The mayor's name was John, a fine old man of great health and fine business ethic. All was good until those fucking Reapers decided to land on the planet and start blowing shit up. It became a region of Dead Space. I had to buy a copy of Mass Effect 3 N7 Digital Deluxe Edition in order to rescue the lands of Amalur, which were being held captive by the Steam monsters.

Durante

While that is one possible interpretation, it seems more likely that he is legitimately enthralled by the unique experiences and exclusive deals available only on Origin.

I'm convinced that EA is far too large to ever meaningfully "turn it around". Their administrative bloat and glut of AAA titles each quarter continually ensure that they are their own biggest competition. It's naive to think that company growth = infinite revenue ad infinitum. More acquisitions will only compound the problem. The solution is to do what Activision did - shed the fat.

Yagharek

Everything the former EA viral marketer says is either verifiably true or has the ring of truth.

Let's hope EA sinks quickly before it continues its moronic, anti-consumer, value-destroying activities.

In an ideal world Microsoft would buy out EA, seeing as they too have a habit of buying up companies and shutting them down. They're the only one who could do it. It would also mean that the licenses for fifa/nfl/nba etc would be up for tender again since no platform holder can get exclusivity from these sports agencies.

1-D_FTW

I don't know what's considered bad form so I want throw any names out there, but there's certainly one poster who has a major EA bent/anti-Steam agenda. Sad thing is, it's probably pro-bono.

hym

Banned
EA used to be fun, instead of hiring people to browse forums, have them act all offended and hold a fake religious protest rally against Dante's Inferno, now that's entertainment.

Yagharek

I don't know what's considered bad form so I want throw any names out there, but there's certainly one poster who has a major EA bent/anti-Steam agenda. Sad thing is, it's probably pro-bono.

I think the one factor I use as a discriminant is where certain fanboys are irredeemably hostile. That usually suggest to me that they are doing it out of love for the company. Not naming names, but they stand out when making fools of themselves.

Viral marketers I expect to be much more of a "slip under the radar" type of poster. Which makes them harder to pick if there are any at all.

chixdiggit

Yea, no need to say the name. I'm pretty certain we all know who he is.

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
I got the pickup truck and the torches. I saw some troll nets a ways back for 10 bucks a piece. I say we ride around the forum till we catch us a few of dem "veeral markitars".
*spits on ground*

Top Bottom