• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Confessions from purported ex-EA Viral Marketer who knows their M&A strategy somehow

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
I'm surprised at the number of viral marketers they have. Didn't think it would be that high.

It's half the reason why I never cared for those obtuse OPs or the drive by comments by people in other threads where "X product sucks!"...

that's the one that's always gotten me. &, if it's not viral, it's even stranger (as in, just sorta compulsively doing it?)...

I would personally get some shaudenfreude if EA went down because the cost of buying good coverage in the all the various youtube channels, forums, blogs and social networks was too expensive compared to trad advertising and buying the good will of game hacks.

RDreamer

Wow. I'm not surprised they do this at all, but I am surprised at the number of people doing it. That seems like a ton. I suppose that might be a worldwide number, but still...

Viral marketers have been around on GAF for ages. It's half the reason why I never cared for those obtuse OPs or the drive by comments by people in other threads where "X product sucks!" Detective GAF used to be pretty good at sleuthing them out alongside EviLore personally checking every application of membership.

With thousands of members and the new batches having hundreds it would be tough to track them all down. Not to mention they can use their home Internet so it's not an EA/Ubi IP or use a proxy. I'm sure they're out there. There's one group of fans who I don't think there's many, if any, viral marketers and that's Nintendo fans. They're too passionate about it to be marketers... part of their charm.

I bet EA has bought THQ. I bet you all a lot of good money, that EA has taken THQ's dying heart and is going to pump it full of poison to resurrect it.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
So when is Evilore going to pop his head in here and tell us it's all going to be okay, that GAF won't be corrupted?

Or are we already dead.jpg?

Vamphuntr

Yeah I'm not going to believe something out of /v/. The fact he gaves free origin games doesn't prove much either. I do believe there are viral marketers on popular gaming sites, though. Especially on Reddit. Pretty sure some of those bloated OT are often from viral marketers too.

Grymm

Banned
On a forum such as this where it's supposed to be for gamers and about games corporate cheerleading should be bannable.

I don't mean like "ooo Nintendo they are my favorite!" because hey, that's fine.

But obviously some one who goes out of their way to post how something like Origin is better than Steam, when let's be realistic there's no fucking way any person can rightly form that opinion and then that same person goes out of their way to maybe say like "oooooh please give me more DLC DAY ONE BUY" etc etc they're backing corps and not the people on this forum. They're not with gamers, they're against gamers. So they shouldn't be here on a forum for gamers.

Kinda like how if you're not a fan of the game you shouldn't click a topic, right? Because anything you post is basically trolling or not pertinent or helpful to the discussion of that game.

Well if you're just a corporate cheerleader you shouldn't even visit this forum for gamers.

I probably could put that better but hopefully my point gets across.

Jarmel

Banned
EA looking to acquire another firm? What if it's CDProjektRED?

Oh god why did I have to think of that!?

Oh jesus. My first reaction would be Valve but that's highly unlikely. Most likely it's Obsidian who is circling the drain. Obsidian does have a bit of a hard-on for Bioware gameplay mecahnics so it makes sense to buy Obsidian at cheap and attach them as another name under the Bioware publishing umbrella.

But obviously some one who goes out of their way to post how something like Origin is better than Steam, when let's be realistic there's no fucking way any person can rightly form that opinion and then that same person goes out of their way to maybe say like "oooooh please give me more DLC DAY ONE BUY" etc etc they're backing corps and not the people on this forum. They're not with gamers, they're against gamers. So they shouldn't be here on a forum for gamers.

Oh please. Don't act like it's fucking impossible for someone to have a different opinion. At the expense of irony, I find it very hard to believe that you believe this.

You mean Bioware Poland?

You know, not that I would want it to be happy, or it would be a good fit at all, but this would be hilarious. CDP going back to BioWare after getting their start on BW games.

All Ill say is the Sony marketers/shills are the most obvious on this board.

And god help sanits row and devils third if EA buys THQ.

Pretty stupid for capcom not of picked them up, but I digress.

Brofist

I'm surprised at the number of viral marketers they have. Didn't think it would be that high.

I'm surprised it's that low. Seems like they have that many just for ToR. Can't go into any post on any forum on the internet criticizing the game without 10 people jumping down the person's throat about being a WoW fanboy etc.. Then again MMO fans do tend to be a special breed.

I don't like the sound of another buyout one bit. Here's hoping it isn't Obsidian, if it actually happens.

Why would EA buy Obsidian? They have no valuable IPs or history of making profitable games. They have some writers and designers that a niche likes, but that's of little value to EA.

Grymm

Banned
This isn't the first time this issue has come up either. I remember not too terribly long ago wasn't G4 or someone caught using viral marketing on reddit?

There was definitely a thread about it here and I didn't have an account at that point but man ever since I've been looking and just sometimes my jaw drops at how a gaming site can tolerate such obviously anti consumer anti gamer sentiment without banning the living fuck out of certain people.

Jarmel

Banned
Why would EA buy Obsidian? They have no valuable IPs and don't make profitable games. They have some writers and designers that a niche likes, but EA doesn't care about that.

They could very easily be incorporated into already existing Bioware studios. As cruel as this sounds, it could very easily be a good thing for both Bioware and Obsidian. Bioware gets better writers and designers and Obsidian could possibly create better produced games.

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly

So young and so innocent. Influencing, shaping and inevitably controlling public opinion has become one of the larger industries of modern society.

Now think. If a mere video game publisher is willing to employ that kind of work force just to help sway some gamers buying decisions, to what extent do you think more serious industries would go to accomplish similar goals?

Off-topic, I know, but still something to think about.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
All Ill say is the Sony marketers/shills are the most obvious on this board.
Thing is, I think those are mostly just overzealous fans.

It happens every generation with fans of a certain company's output, when that company is the least popular platform holder of the choices available. People get frustrated that "their" company isn't doing better (why can't they all just see how superior the product is?) and go off the rails.

Massa

Why would EA buy Obsidian? They have no valuable IPs or history of making profitable games. They have some writers and designers that a niche likes, but that's of little value to EA.

So they can have three teams making RPG's instead of just the two they have at Bioware.

So young and so innocent. Influencing, shaping and inevitably controlling public opinion has become one of the larger industries of modern society.

Now think. If a mere video game publisher is willing to employ that kind of work force just to help sway some gamers buying decisions, to what extent do you think more serious industries would go to accomplish similar goals?

Off-topic, I know, but still something to think about.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Century_of_the_Self

This really is nothing new people.

Thing is, I think those are mostly just overzealous fans.

It happens every generation with fans of a certain company's output, when that company is the least popular platform holder of the choices available. People get frustrated that "their" company isn't doing better (why can't they all just see how superior the product is?) and go off the rails.

Maybe, but there seems to be a zeal here that isn't seen on any other board that ive been on in my life....at times its kinda disturbing. Sony are not that far behind (if they are at all any more)

RDreamer

Buy Obsidian, stick them in Bioware, and the more hardcore RPG fans don't know whether to hate Bioware or not anymore. Win!

Grymm

Banned
Oh please. Don't act like it's fucking impossible for someone to have a different opinion. At the expense of irony, I find it very hard to believe that you believe this.

Sure it's possible to have different opinions.

But for example it's my opinion that Skyward Sword blows. However I don't go into the Skyward Sword topics or Nintendo topics and say "Hey guys, Skyward Sword blows."

That wouldn't be tolerated.

So why are people who promote things that are obviously anti gamer and anti consumer tolerated on a gaming consumer forum?

People who do things like beg for even more DLC or try to promote obviously inferior products like Origin over Steam or defend garbage titles can be justified if it's one of the above that they're doing because, hey, everyone can have an opinion. But there are certain posters who do all of the above, and really that kind of anticonsumer shit shouldn't be tolerated because it's not good for any of us. It's good for the corporations, but this isn't a corporate forum.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
The 8 Remaining Worst Company In America Contenders Sure Are An Elite Bunch!

wcia_bracket_2012_round3.png

SCHEDULE OF ROUND 3 BOUTS:
March 27
* Bank of America vs. Ticketmaster
* PayPal vs. Walmart

March 28
* 10:00 a.m. ET: Facebook vs. AT&T
* Noon ET: Comcast vs. EA

http://consumerist.com/2012/03/the-...in-america-contenders-are-an-elite-bunch.html

This is some amazing stuff. hahahaha.

Afrikan

see, I have no problem with someone pimping a game...viral or not......I'd do my own research and make my own decisions.

but what I do have a problem with are those who go out of their way to bash games or systems that they don't own....bash them enough to derail threads or spread misinformation.

So why are people who promote things that are obviously anti gamer and anti consumer tolerated on a gaming consumer forum?

People who do things like beg for even more DLC or try to promote obviously inferior products like Origin over Steam or defend garbage titles can be justified if it's one of the above that they're doing because, hey, everyone can have an opinion. But there are certain posters who do all of the above, and really that kind of anticonsumer shit shouldn't be tolerated because it's not good for any of us. It's good for the corporations, but this isn't a corporate forum.

So you think we should ban every user that has ever written any post deemed "anti-gamer"?

Good luck with that one.

Top Bottom