• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Confirmed: Without bonus costumes Fatal Frame V sees further censorship in main story

PtM

Banned
Not sure what you're getting at with this image. Are you trying to say something about how I called her a girl? Cause I refer to most females as girls just like I refer to most males as guys. Maybe you'd prefer I'd call her m'lady?

Or are you trying to say that she couldn't be in her 20's, because I'm on mobile right now so I can't really go about collecting and posting a bunch of images of gir- I mean- frauleins I show you otherwise, but I can in a few hours.
Why doesn't it cross your mind to call them women? Food for thought.

cerulily

Lol not you. But Nintendo/the publisher. Content shouldn't be censored at the whim of their sensibilities. They're not the creator's, writers, directors, etc. This time it was arguably Otaku fodder/questionably executed exploitation scene. What if next time it's something even more vital to the story and character? We don't need a bad taste police.

You're aware that nintendo is the publisher, yes? it is absolutely up to them what goes to market under their publishing name.

Why doesn't it cross your mind to call them women? Food for thought.
Well I answered that in my post, but if you'd like me to elaborate: as a very broad and general rule, I call most females under, I don't know, maybe 35, "girl"

That was more like McDonald's or a saltine for thought if I'm being honest.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
This is a frankly idiotic way of framing it.

NINTENDO OF AMERICA changed the content to be more in line with their brand image in THIS territory. That is free market economics. NOA is trying to control their brand image. END OF STORY.

If you don't like how Nintendo of America operates. Stop rewarding them with your $$, like i did when they refused to localize Fatal Frame 4 and Xenoblade.

Yup. The government didn't force Nintendo to change the game. This is not censorship. This is the owner/publisher of the material making an editorial change. Censorship requires government intervention/threat.

Zebetite

Banned
i'm in a weird place with this

a) i think the outfits are dumb and have zero interest in them
b) i would like the opportunity to judge on this and other merits the game that the creators made, not the game that Nintendo of America instructed them to make

like, i'm more interested in a game coming to us, warts and all, and letting us decide for ourselves how we feel about it. i dont want a middle man watering down my hot takes.

i'm speaking of course strictly as a matter of principle. there's obviously a clear reason that this was done and its some boring powerpoint presentation about brand alignment and i'm falling asleep just thinking about it. it's nintendo's right to do this and it's my right to feel vaguely patronized even if i dont ultimately care about the content in question.

Yup. The government didn't force Nintendo to change the game. This is not censorship. This is the owner/publisher of the material making an editorial change. Censorship requires government intervention/threat.

self-censorship is a thing, you know. which isn't to say this is an instance of self-censorship, but rather to indicate that censorship exists in multiple forms and it isnt all government dictatorship shit.

the distinction is that freedom of speech only protects you from government censorship. other forms of censorship (say, an editor wanting you to edit out a part in your book that you, as the artist, are more inclined to keep-- this is still a person in a position of power and authority infringing on your capacity to express yourself) are not protected against because you do not stand to end up in jail for not obliging it.

Astral Dog

What is the fucking point of censoring/localizing out a bikini when it's an M rated horror game.

I dont know, they supposedly never censored Bayonetta 2 (the game has a lighter tone and less violence, but that could be another thing) it could be something from NOA or the new president.

Nairume

Banned
Lol not you. But Nintendo/the publisher. Content shouldn't be censored at the whim of their sensibilities. They're not the creator's, writers, directors, etc.
Actually, they are in this case.

KoeiTecmo and Nintendo codeveloped the game. Even more specifically, two of the three lead writers were Nintendo staff.

Rated M game but still gets censored by Nintendo. lol Didn't Nintendo tried to censored Binding of Isaac so the developer decided not to publish it on their system?
They seemed to have worked through any apparent issues

pariah164

Meh. Nintendo gonna Nintendo. Despite the game's rating, they will censor whatever they want. It's their decision. If that's the only censoring, it's not really a big deal. Silly, yes, but that's it.

Platy

Every other companies does what nintendon't.

7tIaq3n.jpg

Other companies does the same.

The diference is the amount of backlash

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...ts-too-sexy-male-star-of-mobius-final-fantasy

"After we released the screenshots in December, we looked at the various reactions we were getting online, and in the end, showing this much skin..."[...]"It's kind of sexy," said host and Japanese entertainment personality Asuna. "A little too sexy."

Should be like 10 times worst since this "CENSORSHIP" happenened during game development, not localization

It's creep service. I wasn't familiar with that term but it is. If it isn't, if it's a serious scene about child exploitation then why is it available as an unlockable reward costume. Nobody can answer this.

Nintendo are smart for avoiding what would be a huge backlash in the media. It doesn't really affect the game at all. This is a serious non issue for anybody who isn't into scantly clad little girls.

Dude, no one in the media gives a shit about Fatal Frame.

And for those worrying about any legal aspects, uh, both NA and EU get games MUCH more risque stuff all the time with girls that not only look much younger than 17, are canonically much younger than 17 as well. Despite how much everyone loves to use the "1000 year old dragon" defense, it's not a widespread thing. Hell, there are VNs that have been officially released in America that have straight-up sex scenes with what appear to be prepubescent girls.

So yeah, doubt Nintendo was worrying about that.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Yet you're missing the point of why it's that creepy: it's still trying to titillate by putting you in the abuser's POV. That's why it's getting censored, to defuse that particular situation.

Imo it doesn't feel titillating at all and it just really creepy and uneasy (not due to her age, I wouldn't be able to tell she's not an adult). The newly changed scene is just strange.

This is unfortunate to me. Even if it was small change, and despite regional differences and undertstandings, it would've been nice if everyone could have the original version. If there's worse things in the game than the content removed, that makes it a bit stranger.

mugwhump

Dammit, I hate this shit, I was on the edge about not buying this game and this probably pushed me over. What the hell are you doing, NOA?
besides releasing it a year late as a digital-only game with no marketing

To give further context to this, this character is a Gravure Idol, she wants to be an actress but is caught in this line of work trying to 'break out'. Her mom is missing, and she is being overtaken by her own loneliness and being exhibited so she can reach her dreams, objectified. This ties into the suicide themes the game has and deals with a real issue in Japan of girls in similar positions, which it explores.
Damn, that makes it even worse. And it's obvious the issue wasn't her being 17 because they could have just changed that to 18. Why fuck with a super-niche M-rated game like this? I wonder if they'd actually read it if I wrote them an email.

PtM

Banned
I wasn't aware of the change. I actually like the "censor" version better.
So much for principles, heh.
Imo it doesn't feel titillating at all and it just really creepy and uneasy (not due to her age, I wouldn't be able to tell she's not an adult). The newly changed scene is just strange.
Having watched the video a third time, I think it depends on the audio. It brings the whole mood down and dispells any else possible impression of titillation.

Henkka

Banned
I'm not sure censorship is the right word. Localization, maybe? It's possible they saw the controversy characters like the Witch in Dragon's Crown or Quiet caused in the west, so they chose to tone down the sexy.

We wanted less sexualised female characters, and now we got 'em. Don't see the problem.

Henkka

Banned
^No, censorship is definitely the right word.

I'm guessing xenoblade is gonna have cut content as well :(

I guess it depends on who made the call and for what reason. If it was executives at Nintendo and it was against the dev's wishes, then it's censorship. But it's entirely possible the devs themselves decided or came to an agreement that it's best to avoid controversy.

Klossen

Banned
I guess it depends on who made the call and for what reason. If it was executives at Nintendo and it was against the dev's wishes, then it's censorship. But it's entirely possible the devs themselves decided or came to an agreement that it's best to avoid controversy.

It's not the devs localizing the game. It's NoA. Possible, yes? Likely? No. I also wonder why revealing clothes is such a controversy in 2015 but I guess that's for another thread. You make it sound as if a swimsuit in an M-rated game is some death blow to a game's reputation. When has that ever been the case? And if so, wouldn't that be a tad bit tragic?

EmiPrime

If that cut content is not being able to dress up the female characters (one of whom is 13) in bikinis and bunny girl costumes then I am happy.

Cut away NOE and NOA, remove that creepy otaku wank material.

Incredibly, monumentally stupid. This is an M-rated game that's only being released digitally on the Wii U. It's already the niche-iest of the niche-iest of the niche.

What's the point of even doing this? To keep like three people from not buying it? To shield kids from a game they literally cannot find in stores (and has an ESRB explicitly saying its not for them)?

Xenoblade is not expected to be rated M so it would have a pass at getting those bikinis taken out

but for Fatal Frame 5 it is a stupid move

they have already messed with Xenoblade X enough with the Dolls to Skells crap so who knows what else Elma might get extra changes for her skimpy end game suits

...did the playable dude had skimpy outfits ?

spoilers
http://bcl.rpen.us/zerowiki/index.php?title=Fatal_Frame_V_Costumes

weekev

Banned
Itd be interesting to get a feminists view on this. It seems to me like Nintendo is trying to cater to folks who have been outspoken about things like Quiet etc but in doing so have actually removed a theme which would actually resonate with feminists at addressing an actual issue that exists in the real world.

By removing this scene in the West are they basically admitting it only exists to sell to perverted guys who get their kicks from forcing emotionally compromised teens to model in skimpy outfits?

Top Bottom