• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Congrats hackers, you made devs work on a Sunday!!

ThatGamingDude

I am a virgin
Just...don't go in?
I'm literally unreachable by work, outside of my working hours. 🤷‍♂️
Yeah that's not how your contract is written in IT lol
You don't show when you're on call, or if it's like an all hands type situation
You're uh, fired, unless you have a damn good reason lol

Last edited:

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
I suspect that anybody that works on a live service game has a similar situation to someone who works on an on call profession(ie. EMTs, firefighters). It sucks but it is what it is.
100% your team needs to have proper escalation policies. If someone who was on PTO to see his new born had to jump back into the office is on the management for not having enough backups.

TheDreadBaron

Gold Member
To be fair, most (non essential) things should be closed on Sundays as it's the lord's day, and time should be spent with god /in church / with family ( I know I'm vastly in the minority here), but these people don't help themselves anyway.

Is there a list in Leviticus that determines which businesses are non essential?

I kid, it’s true that having a dedicated day of rest set aside can be spiritually nourishing, and Sunday has been that day traditionally. I wish it was kept more sacred in secular society because it’s great just having that free time to count on for rest or family as you said.

As for the tweet, the guy was annoyed he had to come in on a Sunday, is that really so hard to understand y’all? He probably isn’t responsible for not “fixing” the Titanfall hack for years, just some guy that has to go into work on a Sunday. Drop your pitchforks.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
Is there a list in Leviticus that determines which businesses are non essential?

I kid, it’s true that having a dedicated day of rest set aside can be spiritually nourishing, and Sunday has been that day traditionally. I wish it was kept more sacred in secular society because it’s great just having that free time to count on for rest or family as you said.

As for the tweet, the guy was annoyed he had to come in on a Sunday, is that really so hard to understand y’all? He probably isn’t responsible for not “fixing” the Titanfall hack for years, just some guy that has to go into work on a Sunday. Drop your pitchforks.

He is placing his anger on the wrong party though. If his contract says he has to come on a weekend when shit goes awry and there is nobody else but him to do the job then that’s on him or his management team for not having enough backups.

I am technically on call 24/7, but I make sure there is always at least 2 people a junior and a senior engineer ready to answer calls in case of issues so that shit doesn’t go wrong on my weekend. These individuals, rotate on call schedules so that they are never on call for more than 24 hours every two weeks.

Last edited:

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
Sounds like he made a choice to accept a contract where he could be "on call" then.
Also, he's not in "IT", he's a PR guy, I don't believe it was in any way "essential" for him to come in on a Sunday

Also, throwing all your engineers at a problem isn't automatically going to fix it; if one doesn't come in cause you can't reach him, and your entire shit falls apart, then you need better managers.

Last edited:

Boss Mog

Are you saying the hackers got his sister pregnant?

And you never complained, right?
And I'm sure you never complained about these things ever.

I'm sure if on a National Holiday during a family gathering you were called in, specifically because some assholes messed with your store.. you'd never mention it, ever? lol
I actually addressed that before you guys posted. I may have said something to my family or a friend in passing from time to time but I never once complained publicly like he just did.

TVexperto

Sounds like he made a choice to accept a contract where he could be "on call" then.
Also, he's not in "IT", he's a PR guy, I don't believe it was in any way "essential" for him to come in on a Sunday

Also, throwing all your engineers at a problem isn't automatically going to fix it; if one doesn't come in cause you can't reach him, and your entire shit falls apart, then you need better managers.
lmao seriously? I thought he was a dev...what exactly did he do on sunday? did he release a statement? no. so what exactly did he do all day that couldnt wait until not even 24 hours later?

G Boaty

Banned
I actually addressed that before you guys posted. I may have said something to my family or a friend in passing from time to time but I never once complained publicly like he just did.

So complaining is fine but complaining in public makes you a whiney bitch. Ok lol

MastaKiiLA

Depending on the company org chart, a PR guy could very much be needed to go in to help formulate the support response to customers. CS team members are mostly drones, and coming up with the proper wording for a public statement on an issue is generally handled by specific people in the firm. For example, while I'm a product manager of 2 apps in our suite, I'm also the Asia support team lead, and I'm generally tasked with coming up with our public statements, because I can be creative with words.

For larger companies, they won't need PMs to get involved, but a PR person would have the requisite skills to fashion a cohesive press statement, that consoles users without giving too much away. Coordinating with the devs who fixed the issue can provide context for what went wrong, and allow the corresponding statement to be more effective. You can dance around the issue better, deflect blame in a more convincing manner, and formulate a CS team response to any user enquiries.

That said, I don't know if the guy is a PR person or not, but it does make logical sense to involve someone who is in touch with the CS side of things, so that it's not the wild west in support chat. Left to their own devices, support will give a muddled response, that could be more damaging to the company.

PSYGN

Why do these devs post on Twitter like it'll make a difference? Someone willing to risk prison for some damn game ain't going to give a flying fluff about your ruined weekend. Sometimes it's better to shut up than to acknowledge the annoyance it has caused, honestly it probably gave the hackers a hearty chuckle.

Last edited:

Tg89

Shame. I'm lucky enough to not have to worry about that, I'm unreachable outside of business hours and the few times I've been asked to be available I've laughed or made sure it was well worth my while.

Unfortunately the dynamic of power in the workplace makes this impossible for a lot of people though.

I have worked in retail on the weekends FOR YEARS even though I tried to get weekdays. So I understand how that would suck. It rubs me the wrong way to see so many of you who love and enjoy games immediately dismiss their thoughts and concerns in the workplace. You aren't a game developer, you don't know what the work environment is like and it can vary depending on the studio.

I'm not gonna Stan for the hackers here, Respawn was already aware of the problem, and controlling DDOSers is incredibly difficult. Siege has had this problem for YEARS. Idk, I feel like they deserve some sympathy now and then.

Tg89

I have worked in retail on the weekends FOR YEARS even though I tried to get weekdays. So I understand how that would suck. It rubs me the wrong way to see so many of you who love and enjoy games immediately dismiss their thoughts and concerns in the workplace. You aren't a game developer, you don't know what the work environment is like and it can vary depending on the studio.

I'm not gonna Stan for the hackers here, Respawn was already aware of the problem, and controlling DDOSers is incredibly difficult. Siege has had this problem for YEARS. Idk, I feel like they deserve some sympathy now and then.
Surprising number of people on this forum who are cool and almost proud with wasting their lives away at work.

Last edited:

oagboghi2

Exactly, these people think Respawn is gonna put 100 guys on the game because of this. They ain't, it's only gonna take longer now.
Take longer? What a fucking joke
I think most people misunderstand the point of the developer. He's saying that they're perfectly aware of the issues, are working on them anyway, and hacking the game (or other games) to complain only makes it worse for the people trying to fix it.
Sure it's their job to go to the bridge when an issue appears, but you can't expect them to congratulate people creating those issues, especially when they claim they're doing it "to help". It's like some ER doctor having to work overtime because some smart-asses created accidents to show that ER services aren't efficient. Sure it's part of their job to work overtime, but it doesn't mean it's fine to make them do so on purpose.
If the issues hadn’t persisted for years, this anger wouldn’t exist. This isn’t a few cheats and bugs. This is a publisher selling close to a defective product

hemo memo

Gold Member
Well, Sunday is official day work here. Title should be “Congrats hackers, you made devs work on a weekend”

Alx

If the issues hadn’t persisted for years, this anger wouldn’t exist. This isn’t a few cheats and bugs. This is a publisher selling close to a defective product
Anger is never a good excuse.

I mean yeah if you're on call you can't just not go in and expect not to be fired lol. But at a "normal" job? Yeah they can fuck right off trying to HMU on days I'm not working.

I’m a software engineer. I worked on Fourth of July. It happens.

if it was any random DDOS attack, would he be bitching on Twitter?
Idk I'm not in his head but it is pretty BS for the hackers to disrupt their work schedule and they inconvenience other players from enjoying Apex . If you want to just say that they are crying and complaining then fine. It just seems like every time a game developer expresses their thoughts in the workplace it's largely dismissed.

Last edited:

GeekyDad

George Clooney Lol GIF by Omaze

This thread...

Bragr

Banned

I think we found the hacker.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Work harder pigs 🐖🐖
they should make an 8th working day for those lazy ass devs 😂

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Dev comes off as a whiner. Did he ever work retail, you gotta work weekends all the time. One of my first jobs was manager in a large retail store and I had to go in all the time on my days off, sometimes work over night and during xmas it was 80 hour weeks.
Why do these devs post on Twitter like it'll make a difference? Someone willing to risk prison for some damn game ain't going to give a flying fluff about your ruined weekend. Sometimes it's better to shut up than to acknowledge the annoyance it has caused, honestly it probably gave the hackers a hearty chuckle.
It's the usual video game employee whiner-tude attitude. Twitter is their best friend. One part attention seeking, one part zero professionalism. Even though gaming workers work in an office like tons of other industries, they got this wild west attitude to just blurt out whatever they want on social media. Depressed. Bad work, bad bosses, CEO is a bum etc.... Some attitude.

As for working during weird times, too bad. If the job requires ASAP responses, then you got to do it. And if that even includes online access then you got to be ready to take action.

I'm not on call in a traditional sense, but at an time I can be contacted (got a company cell phone too which is always a sign) for some ultra urgent work needing to be done because my boss (VP) needs something right away because he has something to show his boss (a VP in the US) and he cant wait until morning and he cant figure it out himself.

Or those Xmas holidays emails and texts I get needing something when I'm not supposed to be back until January.

If I got to do it, I got to do it.

That's part of the job and I don't even have a job officially classified as on-call. And I don't need to complain like an asshole on Twitter. If I got an issue with my boss, I'll speak to him one on one. Don't need to be the usual tech nerd going on social media telling the world.

Last edited:

njean777

I'm not even in IT, but if I am on call (management), and I don't answer, or just disappear then I am in big trouble unless I talk to my director beforehand. Sometimes this is just how the world works. When you are on call, well you are on call and except that responsibility the second you get hired or agree to the position. No reason to complain.

Seyfert

I also work on live service and it is normal that work is sudden come up on holiday. That's part of the job and you signed up for it.

Also, this come up because they brought this upon themselves. not to blame ground floor dev but still, it is unbelieveable that you would leave that game problem for this long.

If it is still didn't get fix, i don't know it will ever get fix again.

Top Bottom