• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Conor McGregor "retires" (again). Uh ok. See ya in August, Conor.

So, I woke up this morning to see Cunth Cunth post that Conor has announced his retirement for I believe the third time now.

On Sunday morning, McGregor told ESPN that he has lost his excitement for the sport.

"The game just does not excite me, and that's that," McGregor said. "All this waiting around. There's nothing happening. I'm going through opponent options, and there's nothing really there at the minute. There's nothing that's exciting me.

"They should have just kept the ball rolling. I mean, why are they pushing [Khabib Nurmagomedov vs. Justin Gaethje] back to September? You know what's going to happen in September, something else is going to happen in September, and that's not going to happen. I laid out a plan and a method that was the right move, the right methods to go with. And they always want to balk at that and not make it happen or just drag it on. Whatever I say, they want to go against it to show some kind of power. They should have just done the fight -- me and Justin for the interim title -- and just kept the ball rolling."

--------------------------------------------

So, I am gonna basically just repeat myself from the last time. I don't believe this for one second. I am almost certain he will "come back" and fight the winner of Gaethje/Khabib in the fall.

IF this is actually legit, IF Conor has indeed truly retired, what kind do you consider his legacy to be? How do you look back on his career?

His rise to the top and his time as champ (basically from his first fight to the Alvarez fight) was an amazing run. Very exciting time for the UFC. After the Alvarez fight is when things got wonky, the Mayweather thing happened, throwing shit at buses happened, getting mauled by Khabib happened. The Conor I saw fight Eddie Alvarez looked like a world beater but the Mayweather timeline afterward robbed us of 2 or 3 more chances to see that version of Conor fight in the octagon.

Again, I don't buy it. I would bet 99 percent of my net worth (about 6 bucks) that we see Conor fighting again before the end of the year.

Last edited:
Seems like he's just throwing his toys out of the pram because he's not getting his own way. He'll be back.

He's also a cock.

Yes.

I think a few things are happening:

A.) He wanted to fight Justin for interim title and that doesn't make sense, so UFC said nah. we are just gonna do Khabib vs Justin

B.) He wants no piece of Usman at 170. He knows he would get taken down at will

C.) Masvidal at 170 is a dangerous proposition for no real belt on the line (BMF belt really isn't a thing, as cool as it sounds). If they convinced Masivdal to cut to 155 again I would say it's a decent fight for Conor but still, no real belt on the line

D.) The Anderson Silva talk was dumb as fuck. That makes no sense whatsoever.

E.) He's just trying to set himself up to be a savior down the road if the UFC needs a big name since Jones, Masivdal, Cejudo are either retired or asking for more money/to be released

F.) There isn't an easy fight that makes sense for him right now. He used that up with the Cowboy fight.

G.) He knows his best days are behind him. He's not the same guy anymore

Last edited:
He's bought too far in to his own hype and expects the organisation to revolve around him. IMO this is the result of him finding out that it doesn't.

Definitely not anymore. At one point he did have that kind of clout, but the wheel kept moving and Conor has been left behind, at least somewhat

we deserve one more diaz fight, then he can retire

That would make sense. Definitely needs a third fight

Last edited:
He has more retirements than title defences.

giphy.gif

V2Tommy

Conor is my favourite idiot. He can fight anyone he wants, anywhere. Stop blaming other people. Guy could fight Tyson next week for 30 million dollars.

Tesseract

Banned
if you try for nate, you might get nick

deep down nick hates that nate fights, he's said as much after his marijuana ban

REE Machine

Banned
Dude needs to be the center off attention especially street an amazing card last night, i give it 3 months before a fight announcement for him. Esp if its against Justin or Khabib

LarknThe4th

Jasus Connor is some eejit always something with him, didn't he announce this retirement at like 6 am, only one way he is up at 6 😂😂

GymWolf

You guys really hate the diaz brothers, you want them with even more brain injuries?

Conor probably beats both of them right now.

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Conor understands the game more than anyone and has exposed the game over and over gain.

Top Bottom