• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Considering purchasing a PS5 for FFXVI today. Would appreciate some feedback/advice.

damidu

This is such a flamebait post.

I have a PC and need to sell a Series X to a get PS5 = A cleverly disguised post to shit on the Series X and say you don't need it if you have a PC and say how wonderful the PS 5.
i mean duh its the truth
he has a 4090 and
series x is a box running first party games at 30fps
he wouldn’t need a ps5 either, if sony was doing day1 on pc

i mean duh its the truth
he has a 4090 and
series x is a box running first party games at 30fps
he wouldn’t need a ps5 either, if sony was doing day1 on pc
And the same PC will run PS5 games better and I bet FF will also make it way to PC in the fullness of time with a ton of extras

It's just a clever way of allowing people to bash the Xbox and deep down most will see this thread for exactly what it is...

Psychostar

I've always tried to have a Playstation, Nintendo and gaming PC over the years. Call it FOMO but I love gaming with a passion and try to consume the best art across all platforms where possible.

One thing I have noticed recently is that I have not really touched my PC or Switch half as much as I have my PS5. It was totally worth the purchase from day one and has remained so even 2 years in. There are just so many great exclusive games which if you're like me and don't have the patience to wait for a PC port, make it absolutely worth playing there - especially since PC ports have not been so great anyway lately!

I almost exclusively choose to play my games on PS5 as opposed to pc, despite having a 3080 and a good setup, purely because it just feels funner and more comfortable to game on the couch for good story based exclusives. I love the new controller's haptic feedback and it's mute feature is really convenient in general for my lifestyle.

OP, you are buying it for FFXVI, and for that alone it's worth it ( I got an early copy and am really enjoying it), but moreso for a multitude of other games you have so far missed out on. The list of exclusives has risen, and they are all worth a play.

PanzerCute

Yes, do it.

I have and love every system, but PS5 is by far the one I use the most.
Oh and FF16 is absolutely incredible, you won't regret it (I'm 16h in).

So I been watching the PS5 Tech review by Digital Foundry. They are really selling it to me, if I'm being honest. I've always wanted to grab a PS5, but originally missed the opportunity to pre-order, though I was able to get a Series X in the same moment. I currently have a PC with a 4090, 5800x. I also own a PS4 and Switch. The consoles I own, I consider bargaining chips.

I've been holding off for the longest due to supply constraints and lack of compelling games that I really wanna play. However, I'm a Final Fantasy fanatic, having played every mainline entry, and both MMO's for years, even to this day. Yoshi P has admitted that though FFXVI will be exclusive to PS5 for 6 months, the team would not be able to optimize for PC in 6 months, so it could come out maybe a year after. This leaves me with a decision to make.

I was dead set on waiting and purchasing the PS5 Pro, which may not come out until end of next year. But I really wanna play this game...NOW.

So here's what I'm thinking. I sell the Series X, One X and PS4 to subsidize a PS5 purchase, and then later sell the PS5 to get the Pro.

I haven't sold anything to, say, a Gamestop in YEARS. So am I wasting my money? Is this a good idea? Am I falling prey to hype? Like share and comment below. Thanks.
So FF16 is making you sell your Xbox!? Phil must be envious!

Kerotan

You have answered your self...just need to jump...

memes-just-do-it.gif
I was literally about to post this.
FFXVI is actually launching at a good time. Ps5 stock issue's generally gone.

cash_longfellow

Gold Member
No ill wait for the patched ps5 perfomance mode... and if dosent get any better .. well ill wait for ps5 pro... decided not to play another game in 30 fps never more .. and i dont mind the wait ... patience is a virtue
Understandable. I am definitely not touching resolution mode myself. I’ll deal with some drops for a bit. By the time I get to Final Fantasy Mode I’m hoping it should be buttery smooth 60.

Dr_Ifto

If you want to not wait, then do it. If you can wait to see if it hits PC any time soon, then wait. Spoilers will be everywhere starting today.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
So FF16 is making you sell your Xbox!? Phil must be envious!
Well it's more like the PC is. I like the Series X for what it's worth. But I'm just trying to be a bit smarter with my money. You should check out the thread I made when I was about to buy the 4090. Absolute meltdown. Heavy breathing, sweat running down my armpits. It was a mess man.

I should remind you that after further discussion in the threads, there's two positions that seem to dominate or make the most sense.

#1 Sell the 3080 to buy the PS5

#2 Wait like a mature adult because it's coming to PC and will be much better.

Last edited:
Reactions: GHG
Well it's more like the PC is. I like the Series X for what it's worth. But I'm just trying to be a bit smarter with my money. You should check out the thread I made when I was about to buy the 4090. Absolute meltdown. Heavy breathing, sweat running down my armpits. It was a mess man.

I should remind you that after further discussion in the threads, there's two positions that seem to dominate or make the most sense.

#2 Wait like a mature adult because it's coming to PC and will be much better.
Lol t's was a light hearted joke dude.

But seriously if its about what's financially responsible go with what will save you most money.

Ok, so we're one day in.

Who has bought it?

How does it feel?

Are you playing in 30fps or 60fps?

How does it look resolution wise?

I'm not really a final fantsasy guy but this one has me kind of interested from a graphical awe standpoint. Plus I also enjoy medieval fantasy.

GHG

Just do this.

Youre selling something you're not using to get something you will use. That thing you're not using will also get some use elsewhere by the person you sell it to.

Nobody loses, everybody wins, you get what you want without any outlay. The end.

Sethbacca

And the same PC will run PS5 games better and I bet FF will also make it way to PC in the fullness of time with a ton of extras

It's just a clever way of allowing people to bash the Xbox and deep down most will see this thread for exactly what it is...
Not everyone is willing to wait potentially multiple years to play games and have everything spoiled for them. Playing the waiting game constantly is a sucker's bet.

• Strength
Reactions: GHG

NickFire

Shouldn’t cost you much with all 3 consoles to trade. Might get bonus trade in value since FF would be picked up too.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Ok, so we're one day in.

Who has bought it?

How does it feel?

Are you playing in 30fps or 60fps?

How does it look resolution wise?

I'm not really a final fantsasy guy but this one has me kind of interested from a graphical awe standpoint. Plus I also enjoy medieval fantasy.
It’s really fun and day 1 feels great. It’s the style of FF with a totally different combat system. This isn’t your run of the mill Final Fantasy. I am performing air combos, dashing to enemies, and trying to increase damage during enemy stutter. I am parrying dragon tail swipes and watching very well crafted cutscenes. I feel good for playing it now (like always.

There’s always two sides to everything..

There’s over 100+ reviewers and influencers around the world who have played it from start to finish. The people who got it early and whatever. There’s YouTubers who recorded the ending already. If you live outside that bubble, sure today is launch day! Be excited 🎉🥳

It’s really fun and day 1 feels great. It’s the style of FF with a totally different combat system. This isn’t your run of the mill Final Fantasy. I am performing air combos, dashing to enemies, and trying to increase damage during enemy stutter. I am parrying dragon tail swipes and watching very well crafted cutscenes. I feel good for playing it now (like always.

There’s always two sides to everything..

There’s over 100+ reviewers and influencers around the world who have played it from start to finish. The people who got it early and whatever. There’s YouTubers who recorded the ending already. If you live outside that bubble, sure today is launch day! Be excited 🎉🥳
Are you playing it in 30fps Quality mode?

saintjules

Sounds like a bad idea. You're selling $1300 worth of consoles to subsidize the price of a PS5?
And then you're going to sell PS5 to get PS5 Pro? Sounds like at the end the PS5 will end up costing you around $1500-$1600 total.

Why not just wait for the game on PC, there are tons of games available to hold you over aren't there? I've never felt the compulsion to buy/play a game on day one in many years.

I mean those $ amounts are estimations. I doubt OP would be getting that much based, let alone if those pieces of hardware are used.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Are you playing it in 30fps Quality mode?
I think my settings carried over from the demo. Performance mode, but I’ll switch it up. So far nothing too crazy has gone on. I’m up to the part where the 2nd part of the demo took place. It’ll get crazy here soon. So far things have ran solid. Load times have been great. I’ve got a QLED 4K Samsung, so things have looked good regardless.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Yeah, yeah

I think most can work out this is a trolling thread.
Sorry you feel that way, but I'm sure the mods would have shut it down if it was. I can be a very impulsive buyer and I know it's something I need to work on. I figured since I frequent here so much and trust most of the opinions here that I would just kinda put the idea out to the community and see what I get back.

Everything I've mentioned I'm seriously considering. I'm not trolling. Sorry to disappoint.

Top Bottom