• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Considering purchasing a PS5 for FFXVI today. Would appreciate some feedback/advice.

Dorago

Just do it.

I got a PS5 in January because Death Stranding 2 is eventually coming out. Best thing about PS now is the store has really good sales on catalog titles and collections. Also most of your PS4 game discs will boot on PS5 and a good number of them have visual upgrades.

Bernardougf

Gold Member
So I been watching the PS5 Tech review by Digital Foundry. They are really selling it to me, if I'm being honest. I've always wanted to grab a PS5, but originally missed the opportunity to pre-order, though I was able to get a Series X in the same moment. I currently have a PC with a 4090, 5800x. I also own a PS4 and Switch. The consoles I own, I consider bargaining chips.

I've been holding off for the longest due to supply constraints and lack of compelling games that I really wanna play. However, I'm a Final Fantasy fanatic, having played every mainline entry, and both MMO's for years, even to this day. Yoshi P has admitted that though FFXVI will be exclusive to PS5 for 6 months, the team would not be able to optimize for PC in 6 months, so it could come out maybe a year after. This leaves me with a decision to make.

I was dead set on waiting and purchasing the PS5 Pro, which may not come out until end of next year. But I really wanna play this game...NOW.

So here's what I'm thinking. I sell the Series X, One X and PS4 to subsidize a PS5 purchase, and then later sell the PS5 to get the Pro.

I haven't sold anything to, say, a Gamestop in YEARS. So am I wasting my money? Is this a good idea? Am I falling prey to hype? Like share and comment below. Thanks.

Man... for sure this game will be playable in better conditions down the line.. be through upgrades or with the Pro .... but fuck it.. do it

Last edited:

cash_longfellow

Gold Member
I wouldn’t put any stock in ps5 pro without an actual announcement. Way too much bogus leak stuff nowadays. Switch 2 has been coming out for the last three years according to those boneheads. I would do it. If it’s financially feasible go for it. Grab PS Plus Extra for your PS Plus as well. You will have plenty of other fantastic games that to play as well.

cash_longfellow

Gold Member
Man... for sure this game will be playable in better conditions down the line.. be woth upgrades or with the Pro .... but fuck it.. do it
They’ve already said they are balls deep into working on patches for it already. Performance mode will be a steady 60fps within a month I’d bet.

sendit

You have a PC with a 4090, adding a PS5 will net you positive with the best gaming combo. The Xbox Series X and Xbox One X should be a door stops at this point with day 1 releases on the PC.

Last edited:

Bernardougf

Gold Member
They’ve already said they are balls deep into working on patches for it already. Performance mode will be a steady 60fps within a month I’d bet.
Yeah this was a case of launching the game with the 30 fps mode on perfect condition and continuing to work in the perfomance mode ... as many games are beeing launched this way including HFW ... ill wait to play when it is in a better shape..

Buggy Loop

Waiting on PC. There’s so many games to play, wanting to buy a console for 1 game for day 1 release is pure FOMO and doesn’t make any sense. Your brain is going UNGA BUNGA, snap out of it!

angry 3rd rock from the sun GIF by Laff

checkcola

I bought a playstation for FF7 and an XBox for KotOR, only two times I can think of jumping into a system based on a game... I wouldn't do it for this game.

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
So I been watching the PS5 Tech review by Digital Foundry. They are really selling it to me, if I'm being honest. I've always wanted to grab a PS5, but originally missed the opportunity to pre-order, though I was able to get a Series X in the same moment. I currently have a PC with a 4090, 5800x. I also own a PS4 and Switch. The consoles I own, I consider bargaining chips.

I've been holding off for the longest due to supply constraints and lack of compelling games that I really wanna play. However, I'm a Final Fantasy fanatic, having played every mainline entry, and both MMO's for years, even to this day. Yoshi P has admitted that though FFXVI will be exclusive to PS5 for 6 months, the team would not be able to optimize for PC in 6 months, so it could come out maybe a year after. This leaves me with a decision to make.

I was dead set on waiting and purchasing the PS5 Pro, which may not come out until end of next year. But I really wanna play this game...NOW.

So here's what I'm thinking. I sell the Series X, One X and PS4 to subsidize a PS5 purchase, and then later sell the PS5 to get the Pro.

I haven't sold anything to, say, a Gamestop in YEARS. So am I wasting my money? Is this a good idea? Am I falling prey to hype? Like share and comment below. Thanks.

OP, you're in the same position as me a couple of months ago.

Went to GameStop, traded my XSX (they gave me 300€ for the console and another 75€ for some extra joypads), got a PS5 GOW Ragnarok bundle and I haven't looked back.
IF next year Sony comes up with a Pro model... I'll take my PS5 to trade it for one.

Gamepass is good but PS plus extra isn't shabby at all, right now, there's all the great PS exclusives like FF7Remake, Ghosts of Tsushima, Returnal, Demon's souls remake, Ratchet and Clank, Both Horizon games, Uncharted remasters, Death stranding DE, Days gone etc included so that's always a plus.

Really nice console, and since you already got a good PC you can still continue to enjoy Gamepass - best of both worlds really.

Enjoy

Last edited:

teraflops

Neo Member
Personally I would because I don't have patience. I know FF16 is eventually coming to PC but who knows when/if all other Sony exclusives will. My PS5 is literally my Sony exclusive machine and they have absolutely made it worth it so far. Hopefully they don't ruin it with their current GAAS fixation.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Hey thanks for everybody's input. I'm gonna hold off a couple of days to see some more impressions. If the hype really grabs me while reading or watching some videos/streams on it, then I'll stop everything and go purchase.

I do have another option, which is selling my 3080, which I been holding onto to sell to friends. That proved to be a mistake because they've flaked on me.

Leonidas

Sounds like a bad idea. You're selling $1300 worth of consoles to subsidize the price of a PS5?
And then you're going to sell PS5 to get PS5 Pro? Sounds like at the end the PS5 will end up costing you around $1500-$1600 total.

Why not just wait for the game on PC, there are tons of games available to hold you over aren't there? I've never felt the compulsion to buy/play a game on day one in many years.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Sounds like a bad idea. You're selling $1300 worth of consoles to subsidize the price of a PS5?
And then you're going to sell PS5 to get PS5 Pro? Sounds like at the end the PS5 will end up costing you around $1500-$1600 total.

Why not just wait for the game on PC, there are tons of games available to hold you over aren't there? I've never felt the compulsion to buy/play a game on day one in many years.
Well hell when you put it like that :(. I guess the smartest thing is to sell the 3080.

Last edited:

Exentryk

We have very similar situations OP, and I ended up getting a PS5 for this just before the demo released. I held off on buying a PS5 with the supply constraints and even though I wanted to buy it for God of War, it wasn't available and I just decided against it. Now though the console is readily available and FF is something I've grown up with. The demo sealed it as I really enjoyed it.

While I prefer playing games now on PC, I don't I want to wait for a year to play this as by then all the discussions and the hype would have passed. And it's fun to participate in this atmosphere.

Also, I'll probably just end up keeping the PS5 till the end of the generation, unless I get a good deal for selling it.

Last edited:

cash_longfellow

Gold Member
Yeah this was a case of launching the game with the 30 fps mode on perfect condition and continuing to work in the perfomance mode ... as many games are beeing launched this way including HFW ... ill wait to play when it is in a better shape..
If you are waiting for the pc version, good luck if you are looking to jump in at launch. Square Enix not the most solid at that lol. Also, not fully solid in all modes at launch, welcome to 2023 in game dev, it’s not going to get any better.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
For those considering getting the PC version and those who are excited for the game, maybe you should also consider when this game is coming out on PC. There's not definite proof it's coming out exactly 6 months from now, heck might even be 2 years.

For those considering getting the PC version and those who are excited for the game, maybe you should also consider when this game is coming out on PC. There's not definite proof it's coming out exactly 6 months from now, heck might even be 2 years.
FFVII Remake was released a year later on PC. I would bank on FFXVI and FFVII Rebirth to follow a similar schedule.

FFVIIR wasn't a good PC port or anything. These days PC ports aren't doing so good so you might end up waiting for nothing if the PC port sucks.

If you want to play it now, get a PS5. If you are certain with 100% accuracy you won't unexpectedly die for some reason between now and a year from now, then sure you can wait.

Last edited:

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Do what makes you happy. Life is short. If you died tomorrow youd be filled with regrets.

Sell everything and get a ps5. I have a good pc, ps5 and switch and I'm covered on all fronts. A series x is useless when you have a pc, especially with game pass being available on pc as well.

John Wick

Just sell your PS4 and One X privately, should get you about £300. Sell any unwanted games etc and you should nearly be there lol. Demo was fantastic. Game deserves every success.

Ronin_7

Banned
Yep, I'll just get it again on PC later on a discount.

The whole point of me having consoles alongside my PC is for scenarios exactly like this, where there's an exclusive I want to play and I'm not willing to wait.
Sell everything.

Keep PC + PS5 & Switch.

Subscribe to PlayStation Plus Extra.

Thank me later 👍

TheShocker

I’d say go for it. With that PC you have, there is zero reason to keep the Series X around. You’ll still be able to play all their exclusives as non are console specific to the series X. PS5 is a great console.

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
Just go for it, the console built a good library of titles already and with ff16 exclusive more will follows from here on so it’s a good time to jump in

Go_Ly_Dow

Hey thanks for everybody's input. I'm gonna hold off a couple of days to see some more impressions. If the hype really grabs me while reading or watching some videos/streams on it, then I'll stop everything and go purchase.

I do have another option, which is selling my 3080, which I been holding onto to sell to friends. That proved to be a mistake because they've flaked on me.
With this new information, it makes sense to sell the 3080 assuming it's just collecting dust and put it towards a PS5, no? 🤔

Ozriel

M$FT

At the very least, the 3080, PS4 and One X should be sold. That’ll fund your PS5 easily.

It’s a great console and will have tons of great games this gen that you’d have to wait a year or years to play on PC. Might as well get it now and you can always trade it in if a PS5 Pro shows up.

You can play Xbox games on PC, though you can decide what to do with the Series X if you have other factors like couch gaming, TV vs Monitor etc to guide that decision

Last edited:

Denton

I would wait.

I did not wait with RDR2, played it on 30fps on Pro and then it came to PC and I saw how much more enjoyable it was and I was kicking myself for not waiting. Not gonna make that mistake again.

Go_Ly_Dow

At the very least, the 3080, PS4 and One X should be sold. That’ll fund your PS5 easily.

It’s a great console and will have tons of great games this gen that you’d have to wait a year or years to play on PC. Might as well get it now and you can always trade it in if a PS5 Pro shows up.

You can play Xbox games on PC, though you can decide what to do with the Series X if you have other factors like couch gaming, TV vs Monitor etc to guide that decision
Yup, no use hanging on to possessions you won't use. Makes sense to sell them.

Chastten

Banned
Buying a console for a single game is never a good idea.

Especially if you need to sell three other consoles to buy it.

damidu

makes sense
xbox totally redundant if you have even a midrange pc nowadays.
ps5 basically makes ps4 redundant with full and enhanced bc
and switch probably just had its last swan song before the next hw

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Wait for PC op...i wouldnt reward devs with launching a game in such a piss poor state. Or pick it up in the future if it's fixed.

I'm only getting mine today because I get new releases for 15 pounds.

Last edited:

Bernardougf

Gold Member
If you are waiting for the pc version, good luck if you are looking to jump in at launch. Square Enix not the most solid at that lol. Also, not fully solid in all modes at launch, welcome to 2023 in game dev, it’s not going to get any better.
No ill wait for the patched ps5 perfomance mode... and if dosent get any better .. well ill wait for ps5 pro... decided not to play another game in 30 fps never more .. and i dont mind the wait ... patience is a virtue

hyperbertha

Very stupid decision if you buy ps5 imo. Your 4090 is dying to play this game in its highest glory. Just put up some spoiler blocking plugins in your browser. And buy some pc games to tide you over. With a 4090, bad pc ports aren't a problem.

And double dipping is fucking stupid. I get the urge to replay games but replay the same copy you bought. All your ps5 exclusives will eventually come to pc, and by the time you buy ps5 pro, chances are exclusives will be day one or close. with Jim Ryan's attitude, he wants that day one pc sales. Current staggered release is just way to get ps5 owners to get used to it.

This is such a flamebait post.

I have a PC and need to sell a Series X to a get PS5 = A cleverly disguised post to shit on the Series X and say you don't need it if you have a PC and say how wonderful the PS 5.

Top Bottom