• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Console gamers. Are you ready for 120fps?

120fps is kind of pointless if you're using a controller. The difference between 60 and 120+Hz in PC shooters feels huge when I'm using a mouse, but when I'm on a controller I can barely feel it.

It's mostly marketing babble and very few games or players are going to make use of it.

Last edited:

GametimeUK

120fps is great and is instantly noticeable, however I think you don't truly appreciate it until you go back down to 60 afterwards and it looks like a slideshow. Ignorance is a bliss with that framerate.

120fps is kind of pointless if you're using a controller. The difference between 60 and 120+Hz in PC shooters feels huge when I'm using a mouse, but when I'm on a controller I can barely feel it.

It's mostly marketing babble and very few games or players are going to make use of it.

I actually decided to play through Halo at 120fps recently to see what it would be like with a controller instead of Keyboard and mouse. My experience seems to have been different to yours as I could feel the difference and funnily enough my girlfriend saw it too when I "tested" her on it.

Same with Tony Hawk 1&2. Felt so much better at 120fps with a controller and once again my friend that was with me saw a noticeable difference too.

Last edited:

Krisprolls

Banned
Input lag on controller is awful on old school 2D games, remember NES/SNES type games were almost always 60 FPS, I couldn't stand playing Mega Man Legacy Collection on my PS4.

PS4 controller input lag was measured as being 13.3 ms, that's hardly "awful". You must use bluetooth mode though, wired input lag is 20.5 ms (which isn't awful either).

When you go from 60 Hz to 120 Hz, frame time goes from 16.67 ms to 8.33 ms, difference shouldn't be completely negligible even with a controller...

rU4qkOw.png

Last edited:

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
120fps is great and is instantly noticeable, however I think you don't truly appreciate it until you go back down to 60 afterwards and it looks like a slideshow. Ignorance is a bliss with that framerate.

so true, never had a issue with 30fps destiny till I played at 60 (Now 120), went back to PS4 pro and it was like a slide show. Took a few days To adjust back to it.

Last edited:

Kuranghi

Most people can't tell the difference between 30hz and 60hz, let alone 120hz, it matters about as much as the design of the consoles.

Don't buy an HDMI 2.1 TV just for next-gen consoles, only if you will connect a PC to it as well. Otherwise you'll regret it in 2-3 years when new TV tech is around and all the sets will support 2.1 instead of the small choice of sets you have now.

Just buy it because/if its a big jump in PQ over your current set. Which I know for most people OLED or FALD LCDs are.

Buyukbaba

Neo Member
Wait until later in the gen, when they have to push the graphics further and further to achieve some progress.

Same thing happened with the ps4, there where games that ran at 60 but later it was all 30, if not less.
This gen is different than the previous one. First of all last gen machines were nowhere near this gen in raw horse power, meaning they would not have enough possibilities to serve 60 fps genre no matter how hard they try. But look what happened, there are lots of 4k 60 fps games in last gen, producers literally squeezed every inch of those machines in order to achieve best possible experience.

But this gen has great possibilities for 4k 60 fps, since these machines are min. 4 times stronger (which i heard like this) than the last ones. I would not expect anything less from this gen. In my opinion, if a game cannot reach 4k 60 fps from now on, I blame game producer, not the machine. At least, there should be performance mode to achieve that.

Aidah

CX 65” inch here. Cannot wait for Forza Horizon 4 in 120fps having never experienced such a frame rate. And how cool that XSX 120fps filter.

Getting close now folks!
Yeah, that filter is very useful, especially over time. There's only Gears 5 at the moment that shows up for me, but it's very cool they're also catering to such a niche.

With a CX you'll be able to set your Series X at 4K/120/VRR without Issue. With a C9 it just gives a black screen, apparently the issue isn't specific to the Nvidia 30 Series cards (fix is only via LG service centers at the moment).

Edit: Nevermind the 120fps filter, it was removed with a system update today for some reason.

Last edited:

sinnergy

Just got 120 Hz 1440p working on my nu8000 and One X, works ! 1440p is the sweet spot for a good 4K upscale ?Series X 120 Hz 1440p, here I come!!

Last edited:

FrankWza

Depends if my new Denon receiver plays nice with the PS5...I just upgraded my TV and receiver and now the Panasonic chipset bug hit, but I am hearing some rumors that the PS5 isn't affected, so hopefully everything works smoothly and I get that 120Hz buttery goodness!

keep us posted on this. Post some overall impressions when you get your PS5.

OrtizTwelve

Honestly,

I just want good games. Whether they run at 30, 60, or 120 FPS, I just want good games.

As long as they're good games, fun to play and become immersed in, and let me get away for a bit -- I don't really care.

keep us posted on this. Post some overall impressions when you get your PS5.

It is going to be the first thing I will test out once I get my hands on a 4K/120fps game and I will definitely post the results in here since I know several other people are in the same situation as me!

Console gamers need to verify their TVs are native 120hz. Not the fake 120hz. Far as I know 4K only does native 60hz without the frame interpolation.

TheContact

can't speak for TVs or consoles, but I recently upgraded from a 144hz to a 240hz PC monitor and there's a noticeable difference even between these two refresh rates, moreso than I expected

spartan30gr

Sorry
But i prefer a solid 60 frames per second in the games
Who give a shit for this mode?Only a few of games whe support it

Last edited:

Shmunter

I think the biggest difference this generation is >60fps gaming.

The only refresh rate I've experienced is 90hz on a phone and that looked like butter. I have a TV ready for a 120hz input.

Are your TV's ready and anyone else never seen >60hz before?

EDIT: Not so much for next gen games but for the smaller scale games Rocket League, you could argue Street Fighter could achieve a good result with it.
4K@60 or 2K@120
I want Apple to release update allowing IPads with USBc like the Pro to allow it to become a display via the cable. It’s 120fps and hdr.

-Arcadia-

Banned
I want Apple to release update allowing IPads with USBc like the Pro to allow it to become a display via the cable. It’s 120fps and hdr.

Can PS5 even output video through USB-C? Might need to be an update on both sides. I know Series X straight up doesn't have one. I agree that that would be an amazingly cost-effective way of doing it, especially with the bigger iPads (12 inch would be neat).

Aidah

Sure, it's a bigger deal with KB/M in terms of improving feel. However, That temporal clarity difference is incredible regardless if it's KB/M or controller.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
for the few games that will support it i'm sure it will blow minds. i play at 165hz on PC and 60fps hurts my eyes now.

<40 - just no. nope. no way. no thanks.
40-60 - barely playable. not a good experience at all
60-80 - slightly better. not ideal but playable.
80-90 - the minimum for me. 80 is when it starts to feel smooth.
90-100 - now we're talking. this is good!
100-120 - the sweet spot. oh lord it's smooth.
120 or more - diminishing returns. i can't tell much difference between 120-144 or 144-165. you only need 120 or more if you play competitively.

my TV has 4K 120hz so i hope i can put it to use with some games on consoles.

Last edited:
Not sure I understand the reasoning. Now that games will be 60 fps then 120 fps on consoles, shouldn't we sell PC and go consoles instead ?
No because Dev gets to choose and I think 30 to 60 will be the choice most of the time. On PC you can always get max fps then just pretty it up till fps drops. I would rather 144fps locked over any graphics pretty much. Hell in single player top down games I still go max fps before pretty graphics.

Krisprolls

Banned
No because Dev gets to choose and I think 30 to 60 will be the choice most of the time. On PC you can always get max fps then just pretty it up till fps drops. I would rather 144fps locked over any graphics pretty much. Hell in single player top down games I still go max fps before pretty graphics.

To each his own. I think 60 fps is perfectly fine and I prefer power budget to be used elsewhere after that.

It seems most next gen games will be either 60 fps or have a 60 fps mode, so I think I have one less reason to upgrade my PC.

R6Rider

Gold Member
I think Siege on PS5 will be the first time I experience 120fps. I realize not many games will be 120fps, but the few that will have the option will still be worth it.

Con-Z-epT

Live from NeoGAF, it's Friday Night!
Even if most AAA games won't suport it, there is a chance that smaler games utilize a 120 frames per second.

Hopefully.

I really would love to see 16 bit style 2D sidescrolers use this.

There is potential.

D

Deleted member 801069

Unconfirmed Member
idk I have a 2018 65 inch Samsung Frame

am I ready?

Top Bottom