• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Console Gamers: Do you have a valve game in your personal top 10 or 20 games ever?

Any Valve games in your top 10 or 20 games ever?

• Yes, top 10

Votes: 31 21.1%
  • Yes, top 20

Votes: 19 12.9%
  • In my personal favourites, but no idea about position

Votes: 21 14.3%
  • No, not in my personal favourites at all

Votes: 61 41.5%
  • I haven't played any of them

Votes: 3 2.0%
  • Not a console gamer, where's my option?

Votes: 12 8.2%

• Total voters

kicker

Banned
Straightforward question.
Do any of their games make it into your personal favourite top 10 or 20 games ever?

Valve games:
Half-Life games
Portal games
Ricochet (hah)
Counter-Strike games
Dota games
Left 4 dead games
Team fortress games

edit: Valve is still considered to be a pc-focused developer so it wouldn't be surprising to see that a lot of console gamers don't care for their games (even though they've made some damn good games regardless of platform). Still, I'm curious to see what people say

Last edited:

Fart Knight

Al Pachinko, Konami President
I Dont Think So No Way GIF by FTX_Official

I could live without Valve games tbh. Most of the publishers and developers who make my favourite games are gone now. I think I mostly prefer Japanese publishers output at this moment in time.

I'm not into sports or racing games so EA don't really appeal to me. Nor am I into a lot of the stuff Ubisoft make, though I love Rayman and PoP. Activision make a lot of games I like, though I probably won't be able to play them anymore soon. 2K Games have made some, I do like GTA and I loved The Darkness - though I know they licence the comic book rights to make that. I can see myself coming to like a lot from Embracer as well tbh.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
L4D, TFC and Day of Defeat for me.

Valve really had some stellar online experiences throughout the years.

I'd say the original Half-Life but I always felt it was overshadowed by Oposing Force which is Gearbox developed.

But that's the PC player in me, I remember playing through the PS2 version of Half-life with my cousin called Decay in coop.

I kind of wish that had made it over to the PC it was pretty cool.

But Valve has been PC >>> Console for a long time, Orange box was solid value though.

Last edited:

Skifi28

Half Life 2 will always be in my top 5. Then again, I've always played on both console and PC.

Last edited:

Shakka43

I voted no but then I thought of HL Alyx and I guess that does slide into my favorite VR games so there's that.

Fbh

It's not like I have a specific top 20 of games in mind at all times
But if I were to make a list right now I could see Portal 2 making it into the top 20.

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
I would probably put CS (old school pre-1.6 even) and TFC in my personal top 20, I played those so much back in ancient times.

Minsc

Gold Member
It's pretty surprising so many people are saying yes - thinking about all the first party games Sony and Nintendo and even Square and Capcom and other 3rd party teams made over the past 30 years since all the way back to Sonic and Mario Bros 3, to think Valve has one or multiple games that break in to the 20 best from that long list of thousands is pretty amazing!

Crayon

I'm 50/50 console/pc. I have some great memories of hl2 in particular, but I don't think any of their games are sniffing my top 20.

Crayon

It’s first person puzzle game, right? I enjoyed puzzles games like Catherine, Portal just doesn’t seem my type of game.

It's got surprisingly fascinating atmosphere, voice acting, and writing. Almost all down to the one character in the game.

Guilty_AI

It’s first person puzzle game, right? I enjoyed puzzles games like Catherine, Portal just doesn’t seem my type of game.
Well, its story driven puzzle, though with a more subtle approach rather than full Visual Novel like Catherine

👆Like the guy above said

Last edited:

Hero_Select

No not really. Not that they're bad games by any stretch of the imagination - just that I like other games more. Portal 2 might sit somewhere between 20-30 if I thought about it.

I’m pretty evenly split between consoles and PC and I’ve had a PC the majority of the time I’ve been playing since I was a young lad in the late 90s.

Portal 2 is in my top 10 and both HL2 & L4D2 are in my top 20 though funnily despite having a PC at the time I played P2/L4D2 on console at the time. HL2 was played on my pc.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Completed Portal 1 on Switch recently, it’s an ok puzzle game.

Played about 10 games of Counter Strike recently on my laptop (first time playing). It’s an FPS game, doesn’t appear to do anything better than something like the original MW2 or Halo 3.

That’s all of my experience sorry folks.

Guilty_AI

Catherine isn’t even close to a VN. There’s really no static text screens, and it has 3d gameplay through the entire game.
I think calling it an ADV game would be more appropriate.

But even then, there's still plenty of games considered visual novels with voice acting or even 3d gameplay, so its one of those gray area things.

fart town usa

Gold Member
Half Life is great, as is Portal but they aren't in my personal favorites. Just great games that I should probably play again.

Half-Life 2 is easily a top 20 for me. It's ability to stay interesting and fun; supported by so much content from the mod community, has easily kept it alive in the video-game cultural zeitgeist for all these years. Great game, I can't wait to replay it in VR when the mods eventually come out, or replay it with raytracing.

Rippa

Not a single one of their games in my favorites.

It’s because I’ve come to loathe FPS games as they generally copy/paste from each other while adding a fresh coat of paint to cover up the shame.

Same ‘Ol floating guns/elemental hands on the sides of the screen.🙄

thegame983

Half Life 1 is probably the most mind blowing hame I've ever played. I couldn't believe what I was seeing at the time.

It's my No 2 of all time.

begotten

Probably not.

Personally I love Portal 1 & 2, but neither would be anywhere near my Top 20.

Half Life is overrated, probably because it's all PC gamers have to hang their hats on when it comes to PC exclusives. L4D is a chore even with friends. When I think of cringe PC communities I think of the TF2 community.

CSGO, Source & Dota 2 however I have great memories of, they're good at making competitive MP and have put on great eSport events through these particularly TI.

I just prefer other developers and games associated with PC more.

LakeOf9

I would hope at least portal and portal 2 make it on console gamer lists. portal is a masterpiece, and has been on xbox playstation and nintendo, so there's no real excise

Half-Life is amazing and deserved a remake, but other than that I don't care for their games. Half-Life 2 was a big disappointment for me, felt mediocre. But it's absolutely not among my 20 favourite games or all time.

Top Bottom