• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Console Gamers: Do you have a valve game in your personal top 10 or 20 games ever?

Any Valve games in your top 10 or 20 games ever?

• Yes, top 10

Votes: 31 21.1%
  • Yes, top 20

Votes: 19 12.9%
  • In my personal favourites, but no idea about position

Votes: 21 14.3%
  • No, not in my personal favourites at all

Votes: 61 41.5%
  • I haven't played any of them

Votes: 3 2.0%
  • Not a console gamer, where's my option?

Votes: 12 8.2%

• Total voters

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
I've never thought about a top 20. I don't tend to go back and replay games, they feel too of a time to me. I loved playing Ocarina of Time on the N64 but I wouldn't actually want to play it now.

Most likely Portal 2. Not sure if I'd have thought of it when asked about a top 20 unless valve were mentioned at the same time.

Last edited:

Naked Lunch

Ive shifted to consoles and dont play much on PC anymore but my picks in my top 20 are:
Team Fortress Classic and Counter Strike Source.

SCB3

I honestly don't know how any singleplayer fps fan could not have half life 1 and 2 on their top 20
I can see why they may not, especially for younger gamers that maybe grew up past 2005 onwards, for all its greatness they are relics of an era now compared to stuff like CoD

Don’t get me wrong I’d love to see remasters of some of these older fps games (like no one lives forever 1 & 2 being my main want) but I can see why they also would not sell now

kicker

Banned
Console exclusives put them ol' PC standards to shame.
Half-life is overrated, probably because it's all PC gamers have to hang their hats on when it comes to PC exclusives
It's almost sad how many great games you guys will miss out on because of the "exclusives are the best things in gaming" mindset.

Exclusives don't matter for PC. And you seem to think it's because there are no great games, when it's really because we don't have a digital uncle grooming us into believing that 3rd-person-cinematic-action-adventure-crack-shimmying games are special and the absolute peak of any possible gaming experience

You really should get out of the console exclusives mindset. There are hundreds of great games to play out there.

squarealex

I honestly expected portal to be most commonly mentioned, but great choices either way
Portal 1 I liked but it's damn short. But I like connection with Half Life Univers.

Less fan for Portal 2, great dialog, script, writing but I'm always bored to play it

Seraphym

I'm old, first console was SNES with Mario Allstars and my younger brother had bought it.
So for me, Half Life 2 is easily Top 10, bought on launch week and I remember the 'hassle' of Steam. Game is great, shame it never really got finished.
Have Orange Box on Xbox, Team Fortress never did anything for me and Portal was fun but not enough for me to play the sequel.

radewagon

It's almost sad how many great games you guys will miss out on because of the "exclusives are the best things in gaming" mindset.

Exclusives don't matter for PC. And you seem to think it's because there are no great games, when it's really because we don't have a digital uncle grooming us into believing that 3rd-person-cinematic-action-adventure-crack-shimmying games are special and the absolute peak of any possible gaming experience

You really should get out of the console exclusives mindset. There are hundreds of great games to play out there.
I'm not missing out on anything. Whole reason I know that Valve's output is, within a larger context, fairly lackluster is that I've played their games. Recognizing that console exclusives tend to be better than other titles doesn't mean that I ignore wide releases or even PC exclusives. Additionally, if I were going to talk up the strength of the PC exclusive, I'd have to turn to Id, Blizzard, and, of course, Lucas Arts' amazing run of SCUMM games. I agree that there is a lot of great content out there that is not console exclusive.

EDIT: Yes, I'm aware that the PC Exclusives I mention have been ported to no end, but, for a time, they were really only playable in an uncompromised way, on the PC (or Mac.... LOL).

Last edited:

poodaddy

I play on console and PC, so I don't know if I'm the focus here, but I will say Portal, Left for Dead 2, Team Fortress 2, and both Half Life's are all undisputed classics regardless of what platform you chose to play those on. Not many devs have that many stand out titles all to their name. They're great devs man.

Tams

Just Portal and Portal 2.

I loved TF2, but I eventually got bored of it and it fell right down my list. The changes also made it worse.

I'm primarily a PC gamer these days but I remember buying Portal 2 for PS3 when that was the only gaming platform I had. It came with a free copy of the game on PC so that's when I started using Steam on my crappy cheap laptop. It could hardly run the game :messenger_tears_of_joy: but that's when I first got into PC gaming. I mean, I had tried playing some old games on my laptop before and used to play games on my shit prebuilt PC in the 90s but I was always more of a console only player. I ended up buying the Orange Box for PS3 so I could play the first Portal. I tried Team Fortress but couldn't get into it. I tried Half Life but it bored me. Even when I bought the games again on Steam I still never really enjoyed them. That's when I tried Counterstrike Source but playing with a trackpad was awful. I ended up building my first gaming PC in 2015 and now it's my main platform. The only Valve games I like are Portal and CS:GO. I wanted to get into DOTA but it was too overwhelming.

Last edited:
Portal 2 is easily top 10 for me, such a masterpiece, super bummed we may never get another one
I don't know what else they could do with it but I'm surprised we haven't got a VR game. Maybe it'd make people too nauseous getting thrown about and your surroundings changing quickly all the time.

Ivan

I used to think HL 1 and 2 are the best things ever... I still respect 1 a lot, but I look differently at both titles as fps games today.

They have that magical valve's geeky type of quality some true pc games have, but as a shooter it is really lacking. But is it a shooter? I don't know, it is a masterpiece but today I don't have as much joy while playing it.

Last edited:
I don't know what else they could do with it but I'm surprised we haven't got a VR game. Maybe it'd make people too nauseous getting thrown about and your surroundings changing quickly all the time.
At least for me they don't have to do anything different per se, I just absolutely loved all the crazy physics puzzles. It could literally be "Portal 2, but more" and I'd get it Day 1. Also need more of the coop, those were amazing and was really annoyed when they made the DLC area but only ever made one chapter in it.

VR would definitely make people super nauseous, it's pretty easy to get disoriented in Portal when it's on a TV, couldn't imagine how many people wouldn't get motion sick from Portal VR lol, but it would definitely make me get a VR headset so I guess could be a win for them

Saber

Gold Member
Left Four Dead 1 and 2 are probably on the top yeah. But only those as far I can remember. Maybe Portal, but I wouldn't put them in the top of my games.

Half-Life 2 would definitely be up there I think. Held up really well last time I played it too, I was really impressed with the graphics for such an old game now.

oji-san

Banned
Only played HL2 from The Orange Box on Xbox 360 and had a great time, but no it's not in my all time favourite.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I played the HL games and the first Portal on PC, but Portal 2 on PS3, and yeah, it's probably in my top 20.

Last edited:

Romulus

Maybe because they were incredibly dated within 5-10 years of them coming out? They have not held up well gameplay wise.

HL2 physics, variety, and atmosphere are better than most modern games. I have the exact opposite opinion.

It's one of the only old games I can think of that technology is somehow superior.

Physics. Being able to pull a radiator out a wall with the gravity gun and launching an enemy through a window is something modern games don't do.

Pushing a cart forward while taking machine gun fire as it breaks apart and debris flies around you is still top tier physics for an AAA game.

Physics are a joke in almost all modern games.

Last edited:

RIPN2022

HL2 physics, variety, and atmosphere are better than most modern games. I have the exact opposite opinion.

It's one of the only old games I can think of that technology is somehow superior.

Physics. Being able to pull a radiator out a wall with the gravity gun and launching an enemy through a window is something modern games don't do.

Pushing a cart forward while taking machine gun fire as it breaks apart and debris flies around you is still top tier physics for an AAA game.

Physics are a joke in almost all modern games.
Using weapons in the environment has been done better in previous games. Nothing special about it.
Likewise, pushing the cart example is done much better in other games. I think you're remembering it with rose tinted glasses my friend.

skit_data

Counter-Strike, Half-Life 1 & 2 and Dota 2 are indeed included among the games that have given me the most memorable gaming experiences I don’t know if they’d be included among my top 10. They definitely were at some point, but I don’t have the time to pour into Dota 2 or CS anymore and Half-Life has been outshined by many FPS games by now (ones that have like, you know, an actual conclusion to the story).

Grildon Tundy

Gold Member
Portal 1 & 2 were great on first playthroughs, but due to the puzzle-game nature, replays are a slog for me because I remember the solutions.

Half-Life 1 & 2, Counter-Strike, TF2, and the L4Ds fare much better in that regard.

Half Life Alyx was great, too, but not my favorite VR game. That would be Walking Dead: Saints and Sinners.

I think I appreciate Valve games more than I have forget-the-world flow-state fun with them. I'd love to see them make an immersive sim someday.

Romulus

Using weapons in the environment has been done better in previous games. Nothing special about it.
Likewise, pushing the cart example is done much better in other games. I think you're remembering it with rose tinted glasses my friend.

Lol. I'm playing it VR as we speak, yesterday episode 2. The physics are incredible. "Using weapons in the environment has been done before". You don't list examples for a reason because they pale in comparison.

And pushing a cart in modern games they doesn't bounce, sway and move as the machine gun fire pushes different sides of it. Hell they rarely even attempt it because their engine is inferior for physics.

I ran through a pier with the airboat a week ago and the 4x4 posts snapped based on the speed. I did it 3 times with varying speed and it crushed different numbers of posts while enemies and shards of wood crashed into the water realistically.

No. That is not a thing anymore.

Last edited:
Top Bottom