• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Console gamers only. 30 or 60 fps?

What setting do you use?

• Total voters

Spyxos

A lot of console gamers here are upset about 30 fps. I would like to know how many people here actually only play at 60 fps. Pc players are not asked here, please do not vote.

mansoor1980

Gold Member
30 fps
perfect frame pacing
max detail

gta-6-gta-vi.gif

GTA-6-strand-scaled.jpg

Last edited:

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
As long as it doesn't look like Vaseline, I'll always opt for 60. But to be honest, the 40 fps setting is my preferred option as it provides the best of both worlds for a console.

GymWolf

Quality mode during walking sections and cutscenes and easy open world fights, perf mode for prolonged combat scenarios and boss fights or for prolonged traversal parts.

Not ideal, but it wasn't ideal to release a cheap box with 6-8 years of life span to begin with.

But i play 99% of the times on pc so it's no biggie.

Last edited:

LordOfChaos

60. Personally I would argue that framerate IS a graphical quality thing itself. You can have higher details at 30, but I miss the point if everything is choppy and blurry in motion. The sacrifices to other graphics to run performance mode usually aren't that bad compared to the full screen disjointedness of 30. And that's before talking about responsiveness and how connected you feel to the game.

If the game is fast paced/competitive multiplayer (like COD) or has a ton of frame animations and particle effects galore (Final Fantasy 7 Rebirth), then 60fps should be strived for.

In most other cases, 30fps is acceptable as long as it is completely locked, and motion blur implementation is of high quality.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
So because a game runs fine at 30fps, it wouldn't be even better at 60fps?
"runs fine"

lol

All those NPCs you see, all the mindblowing stuff you see in that trailer.. Would have to be reduced significantly at 60fps. GTA6 is proof that other things are more important. 30fps allows for more ambition with the actual.. game. Its going to be by far the most next gen shit ever and thats because it will have all that budget poured into making ONE mode.

killatopak

Don’t really care much for fps as long as it’s playable and fun. I would miss too many games if I cared about it. Obviously, higher is better but it doesn’t really affect my purchasing decisions.

On PC, I reached top 1% on League on a PC that ran the game at fluctuating 21fps. Upgraded my PC to reach 200+ fps and it felt great but it didn’t really change much in terms of overall fun I had and skill impact.

ReBurn

Gold Member
We don't really get a choice. Best case we get a toggle. Which is why power and framerate arguments on console are pointless and stupid. We only get what developers give us.

Roberts

After playing pretty much everything at 60fps since the beginning of this gen, I couldn't really stand 30 fps. Just so sluggish.

That said, I think Starfield did 30 fps very well, especially for an fps. I decided to play Alan Wake 2 at 30 fps, because the visual gain was worth it. Even though there was no 60fps mode in Plague Tale: Requiem at launch, I checked the 60 fps update and if I ever decide to replay the game, I will probably stick with 30 as the visual downgrade at 60 is too noticeable.

If the controls are responsive and motion blur implemented well, then I can tolerate 30 fps but I am not really a fan. Some games are just fucking terrible at that framerate.

Last year I've played a bunch of 30 fps games and the experience was more than fine: Zelda TotK, Astral Chain, Raincode, around 40h of Starfield, etc

It just has to be a stable 30 fps and if possible for the game to have a decent motion blur implementation.

That being said, if I'm given both options I'm usually choosing the 60 fps option even if that means degraded image quality.

Muffdraul

If I could press a magic button and have every game I play be 60 fps I'd press it. 60 is super. But for me it falls under "nice to have." I understand that the vast majority of game devs are always going to push current graphics technology past the point where 60 fps just isn't feasible and I'm fine with that.

Audiophile

60fps for first person and especially tight fovs.

Everything else I'll take 30fps if the visuals are much better and it's locked with good frame-pacing.

That said, 40fps is the way forward imo. Sony should mandate a 40fps mode on every game on PS6 going forward. It's a very noticeable upgrade.

Also, some games actually look/feel better to me in 30/40fps. I made a thread on it and got slaughtered of course but I played Miles Morales on PS5 and the 30/40fps modes had a greater sense of weight whereas the 60 felt floaty, the whole "cinematic" thing may be cliched but the silky look of the lower framerates just made the whole thing more engaging to me, whereas the 60 felt mundane.

60 FPS should be the bare minimum for every game, irrespective of platform, except maybe point and click adventures, cinematic david cage/until dawn'esque QTE games and a few other genre I couldn't think of right now.

And then there's HFR like 120, 144, 240, 360, 480 etc. which should be tried for competitive games.

Xtib81

I don't touch a game if it's 30fps only, it's as simple as that. If GTA6 is 30fps only, I won't buy it and if 30fps becomes the norm again, I'll move to PC and won't look back.

Last edited:

Pelao

I stopped buying games that only run at 30fps years ago. Luckily this generation the vast majority of games have offered 60fps modes or even higher.

Last edited:

proandrad

The most frustrating part of performance modes this generation is how little effort gets put into it. Resolution isn’t the only thing that moves the framerate, yet devs just choose to nuke the resolution until they get to 60fps. Jedi survivor is a prime example of this, rather than just having a mode without ray tracing they just dropped the resolution until it resembles a PS3 game. It’s even more ridiculous if the game has a pc version that allows the user to change settings. It just shows the devs didn’t even try anything else.

Top Bottom