• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Console gamers only. 30 or 60 fps?

What setting do you use?

• Total voters

Lokaum D+

"runs fine"

lol

All those NPCs you see, all the mindblowing stuff you see in that trailer.. Would have to be reduced significantly at 60fps. GTA6 is proof that other things are more important. 30fps allows for more ambition with the actual.. game. Its going to be by far the most next gen shit ever and thats because it will have all that budget poured into making ONE mode.
200.gif

Last edited:

Monserrat

Banned
30 fps is a thing of the past now with FSR3, it has been modded to run on ancient cards so it should run on these much more powerful consoles... unless it is blocked by Sony or Microsoft for some shady reason.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
30 fps is a thing of the past now with FSR3, it has been modded to run on ancient cards so it should run on these much more powerful consoles... unless it is blocked by Sony or Microsoft for some shady reason.
fsr3 30 to 60 feels way worse than just 30.
That's not a proper use for frame generation.
God I hope console devs wont start using fsr 3

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Completely different. Also modern TVs have algorithms to smooth out low fps content, sorry if yours doesn't. Panning horizontally at 30fps on a game will lead to either a garbled mess or a blurry mess if the game has motion blur.

main-qimg-f976dff8564cddb6a9b9405aa6d3776b-pjlq

This is the "max detail" you will see while panning horizontally. Pathetic.
Are you dumb?
Motion blur is actually good and helps with 30fs. But you can disable it.
If you move the camera or your head around quickly, stuff is also blurry.
Good motion blur is good

fart town usa

Gold Member
Depends really but it's usually 30.

ER for example, I want the locked 60 so I play the PS4 version via PS5.

Rebirth and FF7 are 30. Something like Demon's Souls, the fidelity mode is unplayable in 30 IMO, though it does look nice, whereas A Rift Apart feels fine at 30.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
60 fps or GTFO...60 should be the minimum at this point, yes I know you can get more fidelity at 30 fps, but if that's the case, lets just go down to 15 fps and get even more fidelity...I think 60 should be the absolute minimum at this point
thank god people like you don't decide for others

Boss Mog

Are you dumb?
Motion blur is actually good and helps with 30fs. But you can disable it.
If you move the camera or your head around quickly, stuff is also blurry.
Good motion blur is good
Motion blur is good? And you're calling me dumb? Motion blur is a technique to hide the garbled judder than panning horizontally causes in low fps content. It's a parlor trick to make the abhorrent more palatable, nothing more. At high fps there is no need for motion blur. Image quality stays consistent while panning horizontally.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
60 fps or GTFO...60 should be the minimum at this point, yes I know you can get more fidelity at 30 fps, but if that's the case, lets just go down to 15 fps and get even more fidelity...I think 60 should be the absolute minimum at this point
higher fidelity, higher resolution, more NPC's on screen, ray tracing, higher quality lighting, better shadow and texture quality, i could go on and on.

how is higher framerate worth all of that sacrifice?

With your logic: Sure you can get 60fps, but if thats the case, lets go up to 120, hell 240... 400... 1000 frames! Who needs anything else? All we need is frames! Everything else, be gone!

Last edited:

fart town usa

Gold Member
60fps for first person and especially tight fovs.

Everything else I'll take 30fps if the visuals are much better and it's locked with good frame-pacing.

That said, 40fps is the way forward imo. Sony should mandate a 40fps mode on every game on PS6 going forward. It's a very noticeable upgrade.

Also, some games actually look/feel better to me in 30/40fps. I made a thread on it and got slaughtered of course but I played Miles Morales on PS5 and the 30/40fps modes had a greater sense of weight whereas the 60 felt floaty, the whole "cinematic" thing may be cliched but the silky look of the lower framerates just made the whole thing more engaging to me, whereas the 60 felt mundane.
Cliche but certainly valid. If it's not a twitch shooter I prefer 30 usually. It does give it a more cinematic vibe in the eyes.

I'm curious if 60fps purists have true motion as the default on their TV or if they watch soap operas all day? Do they prefer those hobbit movies at a faster shutter speed? 🤮

Last edited:
thank god people like you don't decide for others
Well, it is just really annoying that games get made at 30 fps, play like absolute dog shit because of it, I know some games play fairly well at 30, but know what they would play even better with? 60 fps. If it were up to me they should just release a base console that does 30 fps as the minimum and 60 fps for performance mode, and then also along side that release the Pro model day 1 with 60 fps as the minimum and 120 fps as the performance and just charge $200-300 more for the Pro console. If they did that it would solve the whole fps issue and guess what 90% of the gamers would buy day 1? The Pro model.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Depends really but it's usually 30.

ER for example, I want the locked 60 so I play the PS4 version via PS5.

Rebirth and FF7 are 30. Something like Demon's Souls, the fidelity mode is unplayable in 30 IMO, though it does look nice, whereas A Rift Apart feels fine at 30.
Demons Souls 30fps mode is notoriously terrible on ps5.
Compare it to bloodborne and bb is way more responsive.

Motion blur is good? And you're calling me dumb? Motion blur is a technique to hide the garbled judder than panning horizontally causes in low fps content. It's a parlor trick to make the abhorrent more palatable, nothing more. At high fps there is no need for motion blur. Image quality stays consistent while panning horizontally.
Motion blur is great.
"At high fps thjere is no need for motion blur". How high? I can assure you, that point is not 30 neither 60fps. It's closer to 240-480hz/fps.
30 and 60 Motion is not a collection of freeze time stills. It's a collection of time captuires.
for 33ms, you need each frame to capture 33ms of motion. That's when you record a waterfall, you set your camera to double to 1/60 when you record at 30fps. Not 1/1000. You don't want to see individual droplets but whole waterfall as one like if you do in real life.
And You dont need motion blur at 500fps because you got enough frames to fill in the gaps. Something that you dont have at 30 or 60.... but even at 500fps, you are still looking at motion on a screen, so distances are smaller than actual motion would be, so some artificial motion blur is still appreciated.

Educate yourself before spewing motion blur hate.
I like this examples

MarkMe2525

What a weird question. I don't believe anyone would give a blanket answer as some games benefit from increased visuals at a lower framrate, while others benefit from the faster response of 60 fps.

are you blind when screen moves? Is your tv broken
Not sure if he's the blind one for realising how bad the games look as soon as you move the camera horizontally lmao

You can check min 4:08 , good luck watching any detail when he moves the camera.

For the question on the thread, i started FFVII Rebirth on performance mode, changed to quality mode just a few minutes after due to how blurry it looked, and didn't even last 1 hour before changing back to 60 FPS

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Well, it is just really annoying that games get made at 30 fps, play like absolute dog shit because of it, I know some games play fairly well at 30, but know what they would play even better with? 60 fps. If it were up to me they should just release a base console that does 30 fps as the minimum and 60 fps for performance mode, and then also along side that release the Pro model day 1 with 60 fps as the minimum and 120 fps as the performance and just charge $200-300 more for the Pro console. If they did that it would solve the whole fps issue and guess what 90% of the gamers would buy day 1? The Pro model.
It's on the dev. Bloodborne plays amazing at 30fps but demons souls ps5 30fps mode is dogshit.
It's all about input lag and dead zones with these things. And some motion blur.
Besides - for game like ff7 rebirth, it took me 1 evening to completely get used to 30 again. It's less of a deal than it seems at a first glance and direct comparison.

higher fidelity, higher resolution, more NPC's on screen, ray tracing, higher quality lighting, better shadow and texture quality, i could go on and on.

Because what is the point of all that fidelity if the game feels like it moves sluggish, it ruins the whole experience to me. I get ray tracing and all that stuff looks amazing and some people are just perfectly happy playing these games at 30 fps, but I prefer a higher framerate over visuals if it makes the game play 1000% better. I would gladly pay a premium up front to do that which is why I wish they would just release the Pro model along side the base model when the consoles release.

NickFire

- COD, I prefer 120fps.
- Fortnite, I prefer 60fps as 120fps doesn't have the UE 5.1 features.
This is the way for each of them.

Online shooters need to be at least 60. 120 if it doesn't take away graphical features like Fortnite does.

Everything else is 40 when available. Then look for 60 except in rare cases like Robocop. That one was fine at 30. Ran like shit either way so might as well take graphics (very fun game).

marjo

With your logic: Sure you can get 60fps, but if thats the case, lets go up to 120, hell 240... 400... 1000 frames! Who needs anything else? All we need is frames! Everything else, be gone!
The 'argument' works both ways. Why stop at 30? Imagine all the 'fidelity' you could get at 15 fps, or even better, 10!

When will a dev be brave enough to release something with that much fidelity.

MacReady13

See here's the thing, I played the latest Zelda t 30 frames and it didn't really bother me at all. Then I'll throw on Helldivers 2 on PS5 and switch between 30 and 60 fps and going to 30 on there feels like a slideshow! It's amazing how once you play something at 60, going back to 30 feels completely foreign and just totally wrong.

Represent.

The 'argument' works both ways. Why stop at 30? Imagine all the 'fidelity' you could get at 15 fps, or even better, 10!

When will a dev be brave enough to release something with that much fidelity.
The best part of Ninja Gaiden 2 was the insane staircase with a bazillion enemies on screen at 20fps.

I wish more would try it.

Im ok with 60fps if there is ONE mode. Do not give me an option. Make the game and deliver it the way its meant to be experienced.

TLOU 2 was 30.
COD is 60.

One mode. No options. High quality experience.

It's on the dev. Bloodborne plays amazing at 30fps but demons souls ps5 30fps mode is dogshit.
It's all about input lag and dead zones with these things. And some motion blur.
Besides - for game like ff7 rebirth, it took me 1 evening to completely get used to 30 again. It's less of a deal than it seems at a first glance and direct comparison.
Yeah, I get what you are saying, I know some games play well at 30 fps, but I know they would play even better at a higher fps. Maybe I have just run into too many games that play like crap at 30 fps and I have gotten spoiled with 60 fps games, but I do look forward to if/when the PS5 Pro comes out, I will even take a lower resolution with good upscaling to get a higher fps

Pelta88

60fps or above on the FPS genre should standard.

Whatever the devs feel give the best experience on everything else.

cireza

60fps only.

I will tolerate 30fps for a game that is mostly static, no free roaming, no camera to turn around, no scrolling etc... So that's not a lot of games.

Lokaum D+

Prove me wrong
OK, if locking a game to 30fps would help a game to achive all those things that you listed, Redfall, Starfield and Gotham Knights should've been bangers, incredible games pushing the tech foward, news flash for you, they dont push nothing.

What makes a great game that pushs the tech foward is a team of competent devs and that R* has no shortage, this game only runs at 30fps ( at the moment ) on consoles because consoles lacks horsepower, GTA6 would run fine above 60fps if launched on PC day one, the only reasson that this is not gona happen is bacause R* knows that a lot of idiots ll double dip the game to play at 60fps later on.

Last edited:

gtabro

For games with barely noticeable differences like Demon's Souls Remake 60 fps was great.

But Spider-Man 2 at 60 is closer to last gen than current... so I resorted back to 30 :'(

Audiophile

One that always blew me away was Driveclub. Of all the game types that normally need 60fps you'd think it'd feel like crap, yet it felt so smooth. Frame-rate was locked, frame-pacing was perfect and the motion blur was great. If I see any other racing game at 30 it looks horrible but I barely even noticed with Driveclub. Pure witchcraft and a sense of speed like no other.

Why would anyone pick 30
Because not everyone only ever plays twitch action games or shooters. Us older guys who grew up playing console games and niche, grid-based and turn-based rpgs are used to it. Why should we want something we don't care about to the detriment of everything else?

Roxkis_ii

The most frustrating part of performance modes this generation is how little effort gets put into it. Resolution isn’t the only thing that moves the framerate, yet devs just choose to nuke the resolution until they get to 60fps. Jedi survivor is a prime example of this, rather than just having a mode without ray tracing they just dropped the resolution until it resembles a PS3 game. It’s even more ridiculous if the game has a pc version that allows the user to change settings. It just shows the devs didn’t even try anything else.
I have a feeling most of the game that came out so far have added proformance mode as an after thought. I think games will be alot better when they are designed for 60 fps, and not just added just to say they have it.

Represent.

OK, if locking a game to 30fps would help a game to achive all those things that you listed, Redfall, Starfield and Gotham Knights should've been bangers, incredible games pushing the tech foward, news flash for you, they dont push nothing.

Tears of the Kingdom
God of War 2018
TLOU 2
Biohock
GTA 5
Uncharted 4
Ghosts of Tsushima
GTA 6

all games that were locked at 30fps upon release date. The only reasons those games you listed didn't push anything is because the devs... fucking suck. Thats a talent issue.

What makes a great game that pushs the tech foward is a team of competent devs and that R* has no shortage, this game only runs at 30fps ( at the moment ) on consoles because consoles lacks horsepower, GTA6 would run fine above 60fps if launched on PC day one, the only reasson that this is not gona happen is bacause R* knows that a lot of idiots ll double dip the game to play at 60fps later on.
R* could have easily target 60fps for GTA6 if they wanted to, yes, on THESE consoles....

They'd just have to dumb literally everything down.

But they don't do that because they are smart. It would require too much of a sacrifice for everything else in the game.

No matter how much talent or budget you have - 60fps will still require sacrifice.

So they did the smart thing and went with 30. Everyones happy.

I guarantee you, at 60fps, people would be complaining about lack of NPC's on screen, unimpressive visuals, 240p, etc.

PC is out of the question, of course you target whatever frame you want on that hardware. We're talking consoles only

On consoles it is objectively smarter to target 30fps if you want your game to be grand and ambitious.

KillaJamm

Depends on the genre and how much quality it sacrifices to hit 60. I do think that part of the reason we haven't seen such a jump in fidelity this gen is due to the fixation of 60fps though. Hoping in the second half of the consoles life cycle we see some bangers pushing all graphical possibilities, obviously at 30fps, GTA 6 I'm looking at you.

Shut0wen

A lot of console gamers here are upset about 30 fps. I would like to know how many people here actually only play at 60 fps. Pc players are not asked here, please do not vote.
People are just retards, they will bitch and moan qbout 30fps but they will eat there shit games like death stranding 2 and gta6 which will literally be 30fps with hints of frame drops like there counter parts

Top Bottom