• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Console gamers only. 30 or 60 fps?

What setting do you use?

• Total voters

digdug2

I greatly prefer 60fps, but I fully understand that we are going to be getting 30 much of the time. It might be the newest console generation, but they're still going to do the same old shit. At this rate, I don't think that most of these developers even take framerate seriously.

Shut0wen

The most frustrating part of performance modes this generation is how little effort gets put into it. Resolution isn’t the only thing that moves the framerate, yet devs just choose to nuke the resolution until they get to 60fps. Jedi survivor is a prime example of this, rather than just having a mode without ray tracing they just dropped the resolution until it resembles a PS3 game. It’s even more ridiculous if the game has a pc version that allows the user to change settings. It just shows the devs didn’t even try anything else.
Exactly, its literally bullshit, console gamers need to suck it up with regards to 30fps because developers do not give a fuck about framerates and push every game to a consoles limit if people dont like it then they should just jump to pc because things will not change

Roxkis_ii

I'm a gameplay first kinda guy so give me 60 fps. People who perfer 30 probably only use one analog stick when they play games.

IFireflyl

Gold Member
I'm a PC gamer.

Voted 60fps to fuck up the poll.

Can I Join You Season 10 GIF by The Big Bang Theory

Minsc

Gold Member
Curious how many 30fps gamers will skip the PS5 Pro, obviously will be more than the ones who want 60fps gaming, as that is what it will enable.

But even if you don't care about 60fps, the choice between 30fps and max visuals and 60fps and also max visuals - well the framerate does effect the IQ, and 60fps + max visuals is going to look better.

Curious how many 30fps gamers will skip the PS5 Pro, obviously will be more than the ones who want 60fps gaming, as that is what it will enable.

But even if you don't care about 60fps, the choice between 30fps and max visuals and 60fps and also max visuals - well the framerate does effect the IQ, and 60fps + max visuals is going to look better.
I bought a PS4 Pro at release and regretted it. And if the question is "how many want a pro iteration?" all you have to do is look at Pro sales vs og PS4 sales for that answer.

Minsc

Gold Member
I bought a PS4 Pro at release and regretted it. And if the question is "how many want a pro iteration?" all you have to do is look at Pro sales vs og PS4 sales for that answer.

I bought a PS5 and it essentially was just a PS4 Pro Pro for me for a long time. So I expect I will get the PS5 Pro still, but a PS6 would also likely just be a PS5 Pro Pro too for a long time as well.

Edit: Still, I won't pre-order a PS5 Pro, I do expect they'll be a lot easier to get than the PS5 was as to your point. I'll get my money's worth when I purchase the next big PS5 game I want to play and it only has a 30fps mode, where the PS5 Pro offers a locked 60 fps mode with enhanced visuals or ray tracing etc in addition.

Last edited:

Gamerguy84

Graphics have been good enough for me since the Pro that I go with 60 every game.

Yea I want them to improve but they've been fine at lower res and upscale o add more performance.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
FFXVI/FF7R2 are great at 30fps.

All other 30fps has been criminal and dog shit.

60fps all day. I play console and PC. Fuck you OP.

If its a game that i love, I don't care. Lol

Had tons of fun with Heavenly Sword, Drakengard 3, Shadow of the Colossus...(And i have N64 games lmao)

But if possible, more fps, the better!

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
30 fps is just fine for any video game, so long as it’s justified by having a good-great resolution/IQ, and all the possible visual bells and whistles. 60 fps means IQ/visual sacrifice that I would rather not make. And I e we old rather all devs make that the default choice on consoles. Go PC if you care about 60 fps.

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

60fps if it still looks presentable and sticks the frame target, 30 if I have no other choice or if 60fps is excessively blurry or stutters below basic freesync range.

Dunky

30 fps is just fine for any video game, so long as it’s justified by having a good-great resolution/IQ, and all the possible visual bells and whistles. 60 fps means IQ/visual sacrifice that I would rather not make. And I e we old rather all devs make that the default choice on consoles. Go PC if you care about 60 fps.

But the same can be said if you do a higher resolution you have to make sacrifices. You prefer to have sacrifices for a higher resolution. I prefer to have sacrifices for a higher frame rate.

Fbh

I generally default to 60fps.
But it really depends on what sacrifices the devs have made to achieve it. If getting 60fps involves horrible IQ and going back to Ps3 era resolutions I might go with the 30fps mode as I did with FFXVI. Also if I have to play at 30fps I'm going to wait for a considerable price drop.

That said I'm not completely against 30fps, but I think visuals in games are increasingly affected by diminishing returns, and to me "better graphics" is just no longer justification enough for having to play at 30fps (or 60 with horrible IQ). If a new game comes out that's actually doing something in terms of gameplay and design that truly feels next gen I might be ok with 30fps, but so far that hasn't been the case.
All these 30fps focused games like Alan Wake 2, FFXVI and Plague Tale Requiem play like Ps4 games (bordering on ps3 with some of them)

I played XVI at 30fps because the 60fps mode is terrible.
720p and you aren't even getting a locked 60fps.
If I had the choice of getting a version if FFXVI with slightly worse graphics running at proper 60fps and 1080-1440p I'd instantly go for that.

FFXVI is the fucking textbook example of why current gen games suck. Dated gameplay and design and slightly better graphics than last gen (specially outside of cutscenes) at the cost of performance

Last edited:

N30RYU

60fps if given the option... if the game is only 30fps I'll play it too if it's smooth and without tearing

Last edited:

Hunnybun

60. Personally I would argue that framerate IS a graphical quality thing itself. You can have higher details at 30, but I miss the point if everything is choppy and blurry in motion. The sacrifices to other graphics to run performance mode usually aren't that bad compared to the full screen disjointedness of 30. And that's before talking about responsiveness and how connected you feel to the game.

Almost the only reason I use performance modes is because they look better. I guess people probably process motion slightly differently but for me 60fps looks WAAAAY better than 30. It's like the difference between a still image being blurry and pin sharp. Like, wow, I can retain my focus on the action rather than just having a vague sense of it. It's miles better.

LordOfChaos

Almost the only reason I use performance modes is because they look better. I guess people probably process motion slightly differently but for me 60fps looks WAAAAY better than 30. It's like the difference between a still image being blurry and pin sharp. Like, wow, I can retain my focus on the action rather than just having a vague sense of it. It's miles better.

Exactly, it's like actually seeing the action vs mentally recreating it from an impression.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
I prefer smoother vs sharper given the choice, but neither is a deal-breaker.

As to people saying no effort goes into it... Go make your own game for a fixed spec hardware target if you think its so trivial! It makes me laugh the way some of you guys think that literally doubling performance is an easy thing to do.

proandrad

Some people act like 60fps modes holds a game back. As if the few 30fps games this generation have been visual tour de force. You aren't going to get better looking games if the 60fps modes are dropped, devs will just put less effort in optimization.

Last edited:

Bojji

I prefer smoother vs sharper given the choice, but neither is a deal-breaker.

As to people saying no effort goes into it... Go make your own game for a fixed spec hardware target if you think its so trivial! It makes me laugh the way some of you guys think that literally doubling performance is an easy thing to do.

It's only a deal breaker if they targeted 30fps, if devs target 60fps frame budget from the beginning and design their games around that there is no problem.

People will say that is "holding back" gaming, in theory it is but just like some folks already said, 30fps only games this gen didn't show much over games that have 60fps modes. I think plague tale is one of the best looking games out there and it had at least 40fps mode from the beginning, then they were able to get more performance with cuts and optimizations and delivered fully working high frame rate mode on consoles (goes above 60fps).

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
60 is always preferable but I could game at 30fps if it wasn't for the fact that I have an OLED, the judder is unbearable for me.

Voted 60fps

Top Bottom