Console Yellowing... The Causes, and Solutions?

Jan 12, 2007
Alsip, IL
SlaughterX.1up.com
So I'm sure most of you whole own a system over a decade old have experienced this problem...

So first of all, what are the causes for this? I imagine constant smoking would have this type of effect on certain electronics, but that is not the case with my system. I'm guessing Nintendo used two different types of plastic for the system, which would explain why certain parts yellow while others stay consistant.

Now for the solutions. I was thinking about getting one of those Mr. Clean scrub pads and scrubbing the shit out of the system, has anyone ever tried this, or do you know any other solutions to this problem?

Mar 22, 2007
stop pissing on your consoles.

Seriously though my SNES looks fine, not a speck of yellow...so im not sure what causes it =\

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Mar 16, 2007
It's just the type of plastic they use; they add stuff that keeps it grey for a while, but it will slowly turn to yellow

Jun 7, 2004
Rubbing Alcohol, it's also best for whitening sneakers made of leather as well.

Try it and see, it's the best cleaner around for such things, plus it's a cheap solution to whitening.

Sep 10, 2006
Its the type pf palstic they used for the SNES .. it oxidizes really badly.. if you notice the cartridge flap was maybe of a different plastic to hold up against wear .

Oct 29, 2005
I've been doing research in college (not on this topic specifically) that's helped me to understand why this happens. As it turns out, plastics absorb uv light, i.e. ultraviolet light from the sun. The problem stems from the fact that light less than 300nm causes plastics to discolor (think uv damage). The unfortunate thing is that this is a permanent change to the plastic itself. So unless you repaint the case yourself, I'm afraid it will stay that color.

Jan 12, 2007
tx
blog.dfyb.net
you guys need to click links. it's mainly caused by exposure to light and the heat caused by normal use, reacting to fire-retardant metarials used in the plastic to meet safety regulations.

Sep 14, 2006
Florida
use some scrubbing bubbles bathroom cleaner... no joke.. and a old Tshirt and toothbrush..

I collect quite a few consoles and it seems to be one of the only things to remove that lovely yellow tint.

also use lighter fluid(like zippo fluid) to remove stickers and marker from cartridges...

Sep 14, 2006
The yellowing is called plastic rot, and it happens to a lot of things over time. It's the reason a lot of action figure collectors keep their toys stored in special cases in temperature-adjusted rooms.

Dec 21, 2005
I had this question and researched a lot on the internet. Solution I used to help it is magic soap. Nothing can really stop it all that every method does is deteriorate the outside and show the color behind the surface.