• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Consoles screenshots thread (PS4/Xbone/WiiU) [Up: Thread rules in OP]

Gurish

He just wanted to know if the shots were from gameplay or doctored I think. The Sinclair shot is from a real time cinematic I think, and the others are from gameplay.

Exactly.
what do you mean in real time cinematic? can i move around HL style or it's just a cinematic like in the uncharted games?

BDGAME

It's a launch title and it's not meant to be a visual showcase. I'm not understanding the point you're trying to get at.

I already say it. Screenshots will not make the next gen justice. The last gen has amazing visuals that can look even better in screens well taken.

That's why in all screen topics, Wii U is looking well enough.

Gurish

I already say it. Screenshots will not make the next gen justice. The last gen has amazing visuals that can look even better in screens well taken.

That's why in all screen topics, Wii U is looking well enough.

I think some of the better quality Killzone pics looks miles ahed of current gen.

As for uncharted, come to this thread when we will see uncharted for PS4, you are going to eat a lot of CROW...

ASIS

It's simple - these screenshots are compressed to hell. Furthermore, it's unlikely you will appreciate the visuals unless the game is in motion. It's very difficult to show how much of a difference 1080p makes with screenshots too; IQ itself can make a 'current-gen' game look 2x better.

You missed the most important point, the PS4 isn't even a day old. The difference will become more stark as time goes by.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
I feel the same way

Its not that the new-gen graphics are "ugly". Its just that last gen's graphics were allready very very nice

Sony and MS dropped the ball with release titles because they are old gameplay with "new" graphics that arent that impressive...

A shooter with destructible enviroments like Red Faction Guerrilla would make a lot better job as a launch title than what we got from sony....

edit

i dont want to sound like an asshole, but i really dont know which one is next gent, if one of them is. Maybe is the pictures that dosent do the scenes justice, but i really cant see it

Most of the screenshots you'll find of current gen games are bullshots or doctored in some other way.

For example, here's "The Last of Us", probably one of the most graphically realistic games on the most powerful system from last gen, compared to Killzone. The Last of Us is an uncompressed screenshot taken unedited. The Killzone screenshots are lossy screenshots, all I'm doing is resizing them to the same size as The Last of Us.

v7OwlOX.png

rKQES7g.png

zfZwxW2.png

As someone who still doesn't own any of these systems
will go PS4+WiiU
, lol at a GameCube more than holding its own in this thread. Game is stunning :0

Er dude, that's not Gamecube. That's WiiU.

Pitmonkey

Some Sonic Lost World. The game is hit/miss if can be honest - but it does have some highlight moments. The art style is brilliant.

YuHX0FG.jpg

XfQLy0E.jpg

lnEZNpr.jpg

1nfhMud.jpg

2GJESZS.jpg

tx47G1x.jpg

hSsq8Hr.jpg

jCWiihL.jpg

wNmpctK.jpg

Mononoke

Banned
Most of the screenshots you'll find of current gen games are bullshots or doctored in some other way.

For example, here's "The Last of Us", probably one of the most graphically realistic games on the most powerful system from last gen, compared to Killzone. The Last of Us is an uncompressed screenshot taken unedited. The Killzone screenshots are lossy screenshots, all I'm doing is resizing them to the same size as The Last of Us.

I would also like to point out, it makes a big difference when you have it on a 1080p 50 inch + TV. The last of US looked really poor on my TV. The textures were at times muddy/blurry. Jaggies everywhere. PS4 is night and day to the best PS3 games depending on the TV.

I think Beyond Two Souls is probably the closest I've seen to matching PS4, and that used a different aspect ratio to achieve it.

BDGAME

I think some of the better quality Killzone pics looks miles ahed of current gen.

As for uncharted, come to this thread when we will see uncharted for PS4, you are going to eat a lot of CROW...

I don't matter to eat crow in cases like this. But you are telling me that when I see a statct screenshot of the next uncharted, it will make that screen below looking ugly, that it?

UC3b.jpg~original

The next uncharted will looks a lot better than the current gen games, but static screens will not make the justice the game will deserve. That is what I say.

rKQES7g.png

Speaking in uncharted 3:

cIv01a.jpg

Amazing tree too.

And I believe he is talking about Wind Waker, that is a NGC game, but in High resolution.

Now I will finish it. That is not the thread to fill with last gen machines screens. Sorry OP.

Gurish

I would also like to point out, it makes a big difference when you have it on a 1080p 50 inch + TV. The last of US looked really poor on my TV. The textures were at times muddy/blurry. Jaggies everywhere. PS4 is night and day to the best PS3 games depending on the TV.

I think Beyond Two Souls is probably the closest I've seen to matching PS4, and that used a different aspect ratio to achieve it.
Yea i agree the last of us looks even worse in motion, you really need to watch those games on TV to realize just how big the jump is, it really is night and day.

As for beyond i agree,It's probably the closest to "next gen" that I've seen, but we need to remember that not only it cuts the picture in order to achieve that IQ, it's also a very limited game with almost no gameplay, no AI, it's half a cinema in that regard.

If you compare it to something similar like The Sorcerer (which QD said they will surpass in the final game) it really doesn't even come close almost to a point that it looks 2 gens apart!

i-Lo

v7OwlOX.png

rKQES7g.png

zfZwxW2.png

The new generation really looks head and shoulders above the last gen for sure. That said, because both are not only HD but incorporate modern visual effects (shaders mostly) the jump is not as apparent as it was between PS2 and PS3. That said, open world games would show the biggest jump right off the bat.

However, since we play games in motion, my biggest concern lies with LoD pop in which are more noticeable with higher fidelity graphics. I have seen the same in PC titles as well. It does make me wonder, whatever happened to using "tessellation" as THE corrective measure. I thought it'd be the panacea we all deserve.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Speaking in uncharted 3:

cIv01a.jpg

Amazing tree too.

And I believe he is talking about Wind Waker, that is a NGC game, but in High resolution.

Now I will finish it. That is not the thread to fill with last gen machines screens. Sorry OP.

I don't think anyone is saying that Uncharted looks bad, just that the next gen games do look considerably better.

That Uncharted 3 picture looks good, but the Killzone shot is still leagues ahead.

And I know he's talking about Wind Waker, but he's not talking about Gamecube Wind Waker because the WW pictures posted in this thread have been the WiiU version of Wind Waker.

Gamecube Wind Waker doesn't really live up to most peoples memories in the way they probably expect.

I think most people think back on Wind Waker and remember it looking like this.

dolphin_2013_08_20_00_57_38_64_by_alo81-d6ix8oy.jpg

When in reality Gamecube WW looked like this.

XmFRc6n.png

Qz3yVDg.png

BDGAME

I don't think anyone is saying that Uncharted looks bad, just that the next gen games do look considerably better.

That Uncharted 3 picture looks good, but the Killzone shot is still leagues ahead.

And I know he's talking about Wind Waker, but he's not talking about Gamecube Wind Waker because the WW pictures posted in this thread have been the WiiU version of Wind Waker.

Gamecube Wind Waker doesn't really live up to most peoples memories in the way they probably expect.

I think most people think back on Wind Waker and remember it looking like this.

dolphin_2013_08_20_00_57_38_64_by_alo81-d6ix8oy.jpg

When in reality Gamecube WW looked like this.

XmFRc6n.png

Qz3yVDg.png

Again, screens don't make justice. you look at the screen with a tree of killzone and it don't look miles way from the uncharted screen. Only when you play the 2 games you will notice the true difference. (or i videos, of course)

About Wind Waker, its the same game to me. The difference, of course, is that one is in HD and the other is not. To put a NGC game in HD, a hardware of a modern cellphone is more than enough. But Wind Waker have a amazing art that, only to put it in HD, it can shine 2 generations ahead. Its impressive.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
I just played some Flower on the ps4, wow, gorgeous.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Again, screens don't make justice. you look at the screen with a tree of killzone and it don't look miles way from the uncharted screen. Only when you play the 2 games you will notice the true difference. (or i videos, of course)

About Wind Waker, its the same game to me. The difference, of course, is that one is in HD and the other is not. To put a NGC game in HD, a hardware of a modern cellphone is more than enough. But Wind Waker have a amazing art that, only to put it in HD, it can shine 2 generations ahead. Its impressive.

Personally, I think there's a pretty recognizable gap between Last of Us and Killzone.

For Wind Waker, it's a similar game but not the same. The gameplay is nearly identical, but the visuals are much, much different and visuals are a huge component of any game.

Also, keep in mind, I'm not knocking WW with any of this. I think WW looks incredible and the reason I've screenshotted it so much is because I really appreciate the way its art style holds up over time when simply increasing the resolution.

My point was that it's really dismissive to say "The Gamecube holds it's own against this next gen" but the way Gamecube WW really looked isn't actually near WiiU WW or emulated Dolphin WW.

One last thing, if you're talking about emulation, then phones aren't anywhere near playing Wind Waker in HD yet.

CrisKre

Itt: wii u games look the best.

I also feel next-gen is the start of diminishing returns. That said in the years to come we will see some drop dead gorgeous games.

boiled goose

good with gravy
Wow. WiiU truly next gen. Who would've known.

Pikmin, ZombieU. the lego games, AC4, Windwaker, nanoassault, and need for speed look great. I said Wow.

I don't care what the posted screens look like. When you're actually playing Knack, it looks better than any PS3 game every looked. Not way better, but noticeable in every way, from the resolution to the lighting to the crispness.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Pikmin 3. The former Wii game.

You know, for most gaming companies I think being a "former *x* game" would mean something. But for Nintendo EAD, I don't think they would ship a WiiU game unless they felt it was up to the highest standards they could achieve. Even if it started on the Wii, they wouldn't just treat it as "a next gen Wii game". They make sure that it seems definitely like a WiiU title, and it totally does.

You know, for most gaming companies I think being a "former *x* game" would mean something. But for Nintendo EAD, I don't think they would ship a WiiU game unless they felt it was up to the highest standards they could achieve. Even if it started on the Wii, they wouldn't just treat it as "a next gen Wii game". They make sure that it seems definitely like a WiiU title, and it totally does.

Its roots are still ingrained in its Wii days which does show in some places(aka ground textures). They were still using the engine they used for Pikmin 2 and just modified it for WiiU, but theres only so much a modified last last gen engine can achieve. Pikmin 3 still look gorgeous no doubt but imagine how it could look if it was built from the ground up for WiiU.

Sadly I can't afford to buy a Wii U and a PS4. I'd love to relive my childhood by playing Windwaker again in beautiful HD. Maybe next year when the Wii U is cheaper.

Do people expect a price drop every single year from Nintendo? Its like the 50$ price cut never happened.

Its roots are still ingrained in its Wii days which does show in some places(aka ground textures). They were still using the engine they used for Pikmin 2 and just modified it for WiiU, but theres only so much a modified last last gen engine can achieve. Pikmin 3 still look gorgeous no doubt but imagine how it could look if it was built from the ground up for WiiU.

That.

Top Bottom