• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Consoles screenshots thread (PS4/Xbone/WiiU) [Up: Thread rules in OP]

Caayn

sunsetoverdrivecaayn1vcqjg.png

sunsetoverdrivecaayn2daoh8.png

sunsetoverdrivecaayn3awomc.png

Took almost the exact same screenshot back when the PS3 version came out..
Da hell is wrong with these consoles and AF?
That's pretty weird.

Sakura

Right before stopping playing I was trying to take a picture of the screen with my phone. Then I remembered you can take in game screenshots on the Wii U!
Unfortunately you can't seem to access the home menu in cutscenes for this game.
wiiu_screenshot_tv_014eo2a.jpg

Ecto1

Neo Member
Took almost the exact same screenshot back when the PS3 version came out..

15485977828_c7210f2842_o.gif

Da hell is wrong with these consoles and AF?

Been doing a little reading about this as I found it strange. Wikipedia offered this little gem here: "anisotropic filtering extremely bandwidth-intensive. Multiple textures are common; each texture sample could be four bytes or more, so each anisotropic pixel could require 512 bytes from texture memory, although texture compression is commonly used to reduce this"

Obviously I haven't found enough information on this particular issue, but we do know that games are far less compressed this generation, with the 25gb disks / installs and all, so could this just be that devs havn't done adequate compression for good AF, hence rather having less compression, but less AF?

This would make sense, as if they were to use good AF on a high resolution, uncompressed texture they would surly use up more memory and bandwidth than using good AF on a lower resolution, more compressed texture.

I tested this theory in Unity quickly and found that the using a 4k texture with no AF the scene ran at 207fps and with AF the same scene ran at 125fps. Unity had the same amount of Vram being used for the scene being 74mb. Simply compressing the 4k texture lead to 49mb of Vram being used and 214fps with AF.

Obviously I'm not a PS4 or Xbox One developer. I dont know much about AF on consoles and its not something developers openly talk about, but this is the only thing that makes sense to me at this point going off speculation that games are less compressed.

(For this test I used the closest GPU in my home to the PS4, being my brothers 7870, I know its not a perfect match, but its the closest I could get)

EDIT: Sorry for the horrible English, my brain is fried from University exam studying...

Quickly re-did this test to grab some shots for those interested:
itQ5eIA.png

JLeack

Banned
Is there an ETA on the Xbox One getting a screenshot feature? I can't believe it's been almost a year since it launched and it still doesn't support screenshots. :(

Bayonetta 2 (With OG Bayonetta costume)

OG Bayonetta looks so much better than short hair Bayonetta IMO!

Noobcraft

Is there an ETA on the Xbox One getting a screenshot feature? I can't believe it's been almost a year since it launched and it still doesn't support screenshots. :(

OG Bayonetta looks so much better than short hair Bayonetta IMO!
I think it's supposed to have one sometime early next year.

Vizzeh

Banned
Don't know if it is just me, judging by those few screenshots above, Spiderman looks like a re-skinned watchdogs, not that it is completely a bad thing mind, just observation :)

Pittree

I've been sitting in some Wii U screenshots I took for this thread so I decided to start posting some. I have selected three from the 20+ retail games I have. So here we go...

sAtR7UlnvFr1Rt7M

2l1AKrKdcunh2NWT

B1CqjHRNpcmTyuu4

chadboban

Don't know if it is just me, judging by those few screenshots above, Spiderman looks like a re-skinned watchdogs, not that it is completely a bad thing mind, just observation :)

You're not alone. I thought it was some Watchdogs DLC or something at first glance.

Been doing a little reading about this as I found it strange. Wikipedia offered this little gem here: "anisotropic filtering extremely bandwidth-intensive. Multiple textures are common; each texture sample could be four bytes or more, so each anisotropic pixel could require 512 bytes from texture memory, although texture compression is commonly used to reduce this"

Obviously I haven't found enough information on this particular issue, but we do know that games are far less compressed this generation, with the 25gb disks / installs and all, so could this just be that devs havn't done adequate compression for good AF, hence rather having less compression, but less AF?

This would make sense, as if they were to use good AF on a high resolution, uncompressed texture they would surly use up more memory and bandwidth than using good AF on a lower resolution, more compressed texture.

I tested this theory in Unity quickly and found that the using a 4k texture with no AF the scene ran at 207fps and with AF the same scene ran at 125fps. Unity had the same amount of Vram being used for the scene being 74mb. Simply compressing the 4k texture lead to 49mb of Vram being used and 214fps with AF.

Obviously I'm not a PS4 or Xbox One developer. I dont know much about AF on consoles and its not something developers openly talk about, but this is the only thing that makes sense to me at this point going off speculation that games are less compressed.

(For this test I used the closest GPU in my home to the PS4, being my brothers 7870, I know its not a perfect match, but its the closest I could get)

EDIT: Sorry for the horrible English, my brain is fried from University exam studying...

Quickly re-did this test to grab some shots for those interested:
itQ5eIA.png

Interesting, sounds kinda plausible to my non-technical understanding on these things ;)

Maybe they want to save compression/decompression recources by just dumping them less or even uncompressed in RAM, or someone should tell their engine programmers not to forget about it just because there is enough RAM available? ... whatever the case though they aren't doing themselves any favor by not having good AF in their games, textures look even worse at an angle this way so there is no pq advantage.

Timu

Nice, but why did you resize them?
I captured these in 720p. It looks like garbage when captured to 1080p, in fact I don't think this alpha is 900p either, it's far too pixelated to be 900p. 900p is suppose to be blurry, not pixelated like this:

iSRai5UHI5w0z.PNG

-PXG-

Killzone SF is still one of the best, if not the best, looking games on consoles. It's been a year and still shits on basically everything. It's a feast for the eyes.

Killzone SF is still one of the best, if not the best, looking games on consoles. It's been a year and still shits on basically everything. It's a feast for the eyes.

Agreed. Every time I see a Killzone SF screenshot I feel the need to play it again...it's really too bad the gameplay isn't as good as the graphics.

stryke

I captured these in 720p. It looks like garbage when captured to 1080p, in fact I don't think this alpha is 900p either, it's far too pixelated to be 900p. 900p is suppose to be blurry, not pixelated like this:

iSRai5UHI5w0z.PNG

It certainly looks worse than it should be but with my amateurish pixel counting skills, I think it's still 900p

Using this image

ibtrWAQuUvpMV2.png

I counted 20 steps --> 20/24*1080=900

I'll just put it down to proper AA not being well implemented yet.

Ecto1

Neo Member
Interesting, sounds kinda plausible to my non-technical understanding on these things ;)

Maybe they want to save compression/decompression recources by just dumping them less or even uncompressed in RAM, or someone should tell their engine programmers not to forget about it just because there is enough RAM available? ... whatever the case though they aren't doing themselves any favor by not having good AF in their games, textures look even worse at an angle this way so there is no pq advantage.

Honestly, I think its time. It will take time for devs to realize the balance between Texture Quality and over all Image Quality with AF. That and it would take ages to compress/bake these next gen games. Sucker Punch and Guerrilla both said it took several weeks to bake and compress KZ:SF and I:SS using most the PC's they had in the office in a farm.

Ecto1

Neo Member

To be fare, Spiderman only looks like that during the opening sequence, I'll try to find that spot again in normal free-roam at night to compare, but I cant imagine it having any of that particle work.

But watchdogs has not aged particularly well, and it hasn't been long since it released.

pretty sure I've said this EXACT same thing in this very thread... like numerous times

While it may not be for everyone (It's my personal fav behind KZ2 and Mercenary), its visually untouchable.

Top Bottom