• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Contest: Voice an NPC in Mass Effect: Andromeda

Evo X

Made a few attempts.

Tate Scene

Merc Scene

Without accents or voices they probably sound the same pretty much. Not sure on the one I'll finally decide to submit though.

Dude, that Tate is honestly amazing. You sound just like a professionally voiced NPC. If anyone on GAF has a chance, it's you.

Lmao. That Anime one is on point.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
Recorded a couple of attempts but not really happy with the sound quality and delivery. Need to practice a bit more before submitting since we can only submit once.

*Edit*
Just heard Psychoboys recordings, I'm out. That's amazing dude, great voice and delivery. +b

Dr.Acula

Banned
No accents, makeup, costumes, or props are necessary: just a recording of you speaking in your natural voice.

This clearly means they don't want anyone putting on fake accents, not that people with accents are not allowed. Read it as "don't do it like Mike Myers" as opposed to "do it like Wolf Blitzer."

wildfire

Banned
I thought the merc script would be harder but I finding difficulty being earnest when the script demands it in the Tate.

I'll keep working on both.

Psykoboy2

Dude, you knocked it outta the park with the first one. That was incredible!

You sound exactly like an NPC, lol. I'd hire you in a second.

That first one is almost perfect.

Dude, that Tate is honestly amazing. You sound just like a professionally voiced NPC. If anyone on GAF has a chance, it's you.

Again, thanks everyone! I've been busy with work so I haven't had time to work on the reads again. Might put some time into it today.

*Edit*
Just heard Psychoboys recordings, I'm out. That's amazing dude, great voice and delivery. +b

Thanks! But no one should consider themselves out of the contest cause they think someone else sounds better. We have NO IDEA what kind of voice they are looking for when it comes to this contest so everyone has a chance here. I've entered a few contests like this over the years and haven't won a single one of them yet.

neoemonk

I don't even know how they pick, a lot of these sound great to me.

I'm going to do a submission for the tough merc just because I like the script more. Also I feel like this is lottery chances of actually being picked.

ZorgThePencil

Neo Member
I gave the Jordan Tate script a go!

http://vocaroo.com/i/s1yzz4jb7hH5

Disclaimer: I've not used Audacity before, so the brief silences are from where I've stitched together multiple files (total rookie). Hopefully that won't disqualify me!

P.S. Mine sounds awfully British compared to some of the other submissions I've heard!

Psykoboy2

My voice isn't anything special, so I'll skip this. Hopefully the end result sounds good though.

You say that, but you have no idea of the kind of voice they are looking for to play the part. Whatever you may sound like could be EXACTLY what they envision for one of these characters.

Hell, better yet, maybe you don't fit these two people but damn if you aren't perfect for another role!

Enter the contest! What have you got to lose from it?

Evo X

Here's my attempt at the Merc script.
I took some liberties with the lines and I'm okay with the performance but feedback is essential to me.

I also did one for Tate but it seems to have gotten lost in the flurry on posts.

Sorry bro, but not feeling this. You sound like one of the Mercenaries I would use an renegade interrupt prompt on to punch in the face before they could finish their sentence.

Of course, I am not even entering the contest because I sound like a mutant frog so who am I to judge. lol

Enter the contest! What have you got to lose from it?

My dignity. I can just imagine the Bioware team in the break room laughing their ass off listening to my audition.

Psykoboy2

Of course, I am not even entering the contest because I sound like a mutant frog so who am I to judge. lol

See my comment above yours! You think you sound like a mutant frog, but what the hell better place for a mutant frog voice than in a SPACE GAME!!!

In all seriousness, I hope no one backs out on entering this thing because of how they think they sound. Cause you might just be a perfect fit for whatever they are looking for.

My dignity. I can just imagine the Bioware team in the break room laughing their ass off listening to my audition.

The hell do you care about that, man? You'll never meet those people and even if you do that means they picked your entry and you won!

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I gave the Jordan Tate script a go!

http://vocaroo.com/i/s1yzz4jb7hH5

Disclaimer: I've not used Audacity before, so the brief silences are from where I've stitched together multiple files (total rookie). Hopefully that won't disqualify me!

P.S. Mine sounds awfully British compared to some of the other submissions I've heard!
That's good! British accents are lovely. Nice audition.

Here's my attempt at the Merc script.
I took some liberties with the lines and I'm okay with the performance but feedback is essential to me.

I also did one for Tate but it seems to have gotten lost in the flurry on posts.
Sorry, too cartoony to be honest.

LMFAO
You'll never be chosen but please please send those in anyway. You'll make the day of Bioware employees xD

Sorry bro, but not feeling this. You sound like one of the Mercenaries I would use an renegade interrupt prompt on to punch in the face before they could finish their sentence.

Sorry, too cartoony to be honest.

Thanks for an honest criticism. I'll try again and see if it can sound remotely good.

Maligna

Banned
For the reporter, I think you followed the directions the closest, so far. You hit every one, I think. I like it!

Thanks for noticing! I tried to pay as specific attention to them as I could. I even looked up the definitions of "disdainful", "rueful" and "pointed" just to be sure I was getting them correct. Haha.

Psykoboy2

Damn, this is good. I think you can submit them both.

Sadly, I can't. Has to be one or the other. Double submissions and you're disqualified.

i was going to enter until i heard this beautiful voice

Thank you, but you should totally still enter. There's no telling what they want and you might be a perfect fit for these characters or others.

I recognize that voice! ;)

Go with your 2nd one, I think. For some reason, a merc seems like a better fit for that voice in my mind.

I recognize that name, but I haven't seen you in our chat room or online in FOREVER. The hell, man? Also, as you probably know you're the only one who's told me to go the Merc route. I'm still undecided but there's still time to think it over anyway.

So, I did some new takes:

Tate Revised

Merc Revised

It's really difficult to pull off a "tough" Mercenary. There's an idea in your head of how "tough" is supposed to sound and I think I'm breaking the rules here by switching up my voice a bit and not being natural. And if so, then it comes down to which version of my Tate I go with.

Big Nikus

Tate Revised

Merc Revised

It's really difficult to pull off a "tough" Mercenary. There's an idea in your head of how "tough" is supposed to sound and I think I'm breaking the rules here by switching up my voice a bit and not being natural. And if so, then it comes down to which version of my Tate I go with.

Hey if they don't pick you for these (great takes btw, I like both so I can't help you decide), they should hire you to read the Codex. Nice voice.

Sadly, I can't. Has to be one or the other. Double submissions and you're disqualified.

Thank you, but you should totally still enter. There's no telling what they want and you might be a perfect fit for these characters or others.

I recognize that name, but I haven't seen you in our chat room or online in FOREVER. The hell, man? Also, as you probably know you're the only one who's told me to go the Merc route. I'm still undecided but there's still time to think it over anyway.

Tate Revised

Merc Revised

You already won lol amazing stuff.

Psykoboy2

Hey if they don't pick you for these (great takes btw, I like both so I can't help you decide), they should hire you to read the Codex. Nice voice.

Thanks! Sadly, contests like this are the best way for me to get into something like VA. Most companies as big as EA mean they are required to hire from the SAG (or the voice actors equivalent). If they don't hire from the guild, then it's a big mess for them. So they go to the guild pool and pick from there. And that's an expensive pool for me to be a member of in the hopes I might get selected.

You already won lol amazing stuff.

I haven't, and there's no way of knowing if this is what they want for those characters, but regardless this thread has been a great confidence booster.

Sweet voice psyko. Sheeeeit, I was just about to try it out too. Lol

DO IT!! Where's my damn Shia gif? Seriously, said it before - we don't know what they are looking for in a voice and yours could be exactly what they want. Trying means it could be yours. Not trying means you'll never know.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
A shame my country is not included in the contest. What do you think happens if someone wins the contest and it turns out they don't live in one of the allowed countries? Do you think they'll make an exception.

A reminder to everyone who thinks they can't do it:
- Any voice actor worth their salt will tell you that there is no such thing as a "good" voice or a "bad" voice. There are only voices that fit the performance the casting director is looking for, and voices that don't. Since nothing specific is mentioned in the directions, you don't know what they want, so just go ahead and submit your take. Heck, maybe they'll end up choosing someone with English as their second language if they think their foreign accent works with the character.
- More than doing voices, voice acting is about acting first and foremost. Don't worry about your voice - just use your natural voice, as stated in the rules. Instead, worry about sounding natural and believable.

This is not about having a good voice or doing voices or impersonations or whatever. It's about creating a character from the bits and pieces you get in the dialogue and the directions and giving it your voice and your energy.

Still, as an aspiring VA I'm salty I can't participate. Bioware, why u hate France?

Maligna

Banned
A shame my country is not included in the contest. What do you think happens if someone wins the contest and it turns out they don't live in one of the allowed countries? Do you think they'll make an exception.

A reminder to everyone who thinks they can't do it:
- Any voice actor worth their salt will tell you that there is no such thing as a "good" voice or a "bad" voice. There are only voices that fit the performance the casting director is looking for, and voices that don't. Since nothing specific is mentioned in the directions, you don't know what they want, so just go ahead and submit your take. Heck, maybe they'll end up choosing someone with English as their second language if they think their foreign accent works with the character.
- More than doing voices, voice acting is about acting first and foremost. Don't worry about your voice - just use your natural voice, as stated in the rules. Instead, worry about sounding natural and believable.

This is not about having a good voice or doing voices or impersonations or whatever. It's about creating a character from the bits and pieces you get in the dialogue and the directions and giving it your voice and your energy.

Still, as an aspiring VA I'm salty I can't participate. Bioware, why u hate France?

Great advice. Thanks. :)

RetroDLC

Foundations of Burden

I figure it's worth saying, if you don't live in a English speaking country like the UK, US or Canada, don't expect much, if any, English work. If you speak a foreign language, however, you could probably hitch up with a localisation studio who is partnered with a service vendor for international work.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Great advice. Thanks. :)

You're welcome. I take it from a well-known American VA, so it's as good as it gets.

I figure it's worth saying, if you don't live in a English speaking country like the UK, US or Canada, don't expect much, if any, English work. If you speak a foreign language, however, you could probably hitch up with a localisation studio who is partnered with a service vendor for international work.

Yeah. I'm well aware of it mind you, and if I ever become a professional I'll make sure to move to an English-speaking country.

Psykoboy2

There are only voices that fit the performance the casting director is looking for, and voices that don't. Since nothing specific is mentioned in the directions, you don't know what they want, so just go ahead and submit your take.

Been trying to drive this point home on people who keep saying they don't think they're good enough to enter. Even worse for the people who hear someone else's voice and don't think they stack up.

It's all subjective and the only person it matters to hasn't said anything about what they are looking for. And furthermore, none of these characters are specific to MALE voices. Jordan Tate is just as unisex as Tough Mercenary. ANY voice can fit these characters and that voice could be yours, but you'll never know unless you send in an entry (are are also from one of the eligible countries).

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Been trying to drive this point home on people who keep saying they don't think they're good enough to enter. Even worse for the people who hear someone else's voice and don't think they stack up.

It's all subjective and the only person it matters to hasn't said anything about what they are looking for. And furthermore, none of these characters are specific to MALE voices. Jordan Tate is just as unisex as Tough Mercenary. ANY voice can fit these characters and that voice could be yours, but you'll never know unless you send in an entry (are are also from one of the eligible countries).

Rubbing salt into the wound, are ye.
j/k. Well, kinda.

Top Bottom