• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Control Was Developed For Under €30 Million, Sales “Steady,” Per Remedy CEO

Mista

Banned
control-.jpg

In a piece highlighting Remedy Entertainment via GamesIndustry, Remedy CEO Tero Virtala said that the game’s reduced budget helped overall in not having to expect a huge amount of front-loaded sales, and they are focusing on lifetime sales, saying that overall that part is “steady.”
Control was developed in three years with a budget of less than €30 million. We don’t quite require the same huge lifetime numbers as many other games with bigger development budgets. Therefore, even though Control didn’t have chart-topping sales right from the get go, we are in a good position with steady sales. We always take the long view here.”

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
How's the base PS4 performance?(I saw the DF video but still unconvinced or if they patched it more) Is it worth getting it there or should I wait for it on Steam? I want to play it with ray tracing but I don't want to get it on the Epic Store. Is it even coming to Steam or any other store like MS(gamepass for pc)?

Last edited:

Roni

Gold Member
Still need to check this one out, I was a big fan of Alan Wake and even liked Quantum Break... Heard some interesting things about this!

H4ze

Stopped playing it at some point, despite me loving Remedy games Control did not really click with me.
I blame the fucked up lip sync, does someone know if that got fixed on PC?

Bryank75

Banned
Well, that is really good.

I'd imagine a lot of that comes down to geography and the regional economics of the area.... whether the basic costs of living are high or low etc. since game development is so talent and time-dependent.

Like CDPR, they can afford to put much more time and effort and man-power in because Poland is a cheaper place to live and work, I assume.

From that perspective, it would be great if Sony had more studios at a lower cost in some of these places. For more cost-effective.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Well, that is really good.

I'd imagine a lot of that comes down to geography and the regional economics of the area.... whether the basic costs of living are high or low etc. since game development is so talent and time-dependent.

Like CDPR, they can afford to put much more time and effort and man-power in because Poland is a cheaper place to live and work, I assume.

From that perspective, it would be great if Sony had more studios at a lower cost in some of these places. For more cost-effective.

I wish Sony would buy them out.

Dane

I think this game actually sold pretty decently, maybe it didn't chart top 10, but rather on top 15 (maybe on #11).

Fbh

Still need to play this.
Did they ever fix console performance or is still a shit show on everything but Xb1X?

VGEsoterica

I really enjoyed Control for like 60% of the game, then suddenly I got a bit bored and never picked it up again. I have to get back to it soon

Reactions: GHG

bilderberg

Hated all the reading in the game. Why do devs think it's a good idea to halt the game every 10 steps to pick up another journal to read? You're having fun exploring, the pacing is great, you're getting immersed in the world..and then blam you're taken out of it while you spend 10 minutes reading one long journal after the other. "well just don't pick anything up to read"..ya i know, it's a personal problem. Devs need to find a way to replicate Metroid Prime's scanning because that game made data collecting and reading fun. Something that doesn't take you out of the experience and transport you to a menu screen with a pdf page.

Siri

Banned
Oh god... it’s coming to Gamepass.... and I bought it day one!

See, this is why I’m suddenly not hitting the buy button so quickly with new releases. I now ask myself, will this game end up on one of my subscriptions?

For example, during the previous Steam sale I bought Call of Duty WW2 for 65% off because I wanted to play the campaign and I was certain the game would not end up on one of my services. Disco Elysium on the other hand seems like a game that will end up on a service.

It’s just a new way of thinking that many of has have to adopt if saving money is a thing.

How's the base PS4 performance?(I saw the DF video but still unconvinced or if they patched it more) Is it worth getting it there or should I wait for it on Steam? I want to play it with ray tracing but I don't want to get it on the Epic Store. Is it even coming to Steam or any other store like MS(gamepass for pc)?
The game runs great on a base PS4. Issues were overblown at launch due to a few problematic areas and they have been fixed. You still get some drops but that is to be expected on 6 year old hardware trying to run such a pretty game with lots of little environmental destruction details going on. You could just get it on the EGS and quit fighting a pointless crusade. You not buying Control isn't going to stop Epic from picking up more exclusives.

Bryank75

Banned
Nobody seems to be talking about how Spencer saying this was coming to Gamepass would hurt sales of Control.....

I think it was almost a ploy to undermine sales and force them to put the game on gamepass to make a little bit of money, which is shameful if that is the case and Remedy should litigate!

Gamepass undermines the entire industry, it really is a huge negative for the industry and publishers should boycott it because people will stop buying their games and just wait to play on GP instead.

Last edited:

FranXico

Nobody seems to be talking about how Spencer saying this was coming to Gamepass would hurt sales of Control.....

I think it was almost a ploy to undermine sales and force them to put the game on gamepass to make a little bit of money, which is shameful if that is the case and Remedy should litigate!
I would be pissed if I was in their shoes for sure.

FranXico

If you look at the thread at the 'other place' it is full of people celebrating that they didn't buy it and that they will now play it 'for free'.
It's f'n sad.
That's a natural reaction if people are GamePass subscribers.
But of course getting the word out about a future GamePass release will kill off sales.

The Cockatrice

Gold Member

Gamepass undermines the entire industry, it really is a huge negative for the industry and publishers should boycott it because people will stop buying their games and just wait to play on GP instead.

Fair point but do we know what exactly does MS pay to publishers/devs for their games to be put on gamepass? While this may hurt their already decreasing sales, it might also give them a chance to get a fine cashout from MS just as they did with Epic which will outweigh any lost sale.

Under 30 mil? Kinda shows, they couldn't even add reflections in the glass windows. Also the blue hair that created "THE CHIN" must've been cheap!

Paracelsus

If we still got actual full blown sales numbers for people who paid full price or at least half price for games, I suspect it would paint a totally different picture of the industry.
I don't know for how long they can damage control to the media but keep investors happy.

Top Bottom