• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Convince me to buy World of Warcraft

I've never played it, but I'm so bored right now I'll go for anything. WoW is about the only game that runs on my Mac natively (sure I could boot Windows, but that's lame). Convince me. I will go buy it tonight if you can.

Mr Jared

Convince me to buy World of Warcraft

1141095877185.jpg

HomShaBom said:
I just started college, not looking to get back into WoW. Although its in lingerie laying on my bed..

I thought you misspelled lingering, and you were saying "lingering in my bed."

I was gonna make fun.....but...

MMaRsu

Banned
Boards of Canada said:
You sure about that?

Yeah.

It's fun and addictive..some say too addictive but that's only ppl who can't control themselves. Get yourself a nice friendly guild and there's much fun to be had.

:)

TwIsTeD

gone back twice......and left everytime its good but only great if a lot of your friends play (since it does consume you just a lil bit)

Draft

Boards of Canada said:
You sure about that?
It's WoW man. It's great fun. Level a dude up to 60. You'll love it. At that point you have to decide if it's worth your time to start raiding, or put that shit on the shelf like any other game you've beaten.

sprocket

Banned
Buy it now and spend the next 5 hours downloading patches . Not just that but you have to sit and maunaully click ok and keep retyping in you rpassword over and over and over and over again .

You wont be bored though ! :D

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Go to a store that sells games near you, they will have disks you can buy for $2 that give a 14 day trial.

Get it and convince yourself.

Its by far the cheapest game Ive played (in terms of Euro's per enjoyed hour). Quite possibly one of the best co-op experiences Ive ever had. Get some friends to play it with you though, I never really enjoyed playing with strangers. Gathering equipment in the end-game part is also quite addictive and nice in a way. Apart from that the game is just really well designed, looks beautiful and the whole atmosphere is just really special. At first it really feels like going adventuring, though after a while it does start to feel like simple grinding when youre do instance after instance. Anyway, give it a shot, its worth it I guess.

dazzgc

Banned
Hmm..... lets see now as much as i liked wow you need to think of it like this do you enjoy playing other games, like going out with your friends, having a stable job and good health. Well then wow isnt the game for you. :lol i personally became so addicted, and im not saying you will but good chance that you will anyway i played this game 3-6 hours a day after work and most of the day weekends. I lost interest in my job( nearly got fired and was warned) didnt really want to see my friends.

You might say its not the game and its me thats ****ed up but i can tell you this is the story of many average people. Now im free from the game i think to myself WTF was i doing never again.

Played WoW from October to January, and I just couldn't get into it. But yeah, I guess six million people seem to enjoy it, so that's saying something.

I've played since it was released. That's almost 2 years of WoW.

I take breaks every now and then, but in the end she always brings me back.

It's pavlovian levels of addictions run very high.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
I was in beta and loaned my beta key to a friend so he could play.

The game ate his soul, and his fiance left him because of it. No shit.

Whether this is a "buy" or "don't buy" reccomendation I leave open to interpretation

Vexidus

Check out this movie about WoW exploration: http://video.google.ca/videoplay?docid=-4781669699307736347

I like to watch these types of exploration and exploit movies to this day though because they just give me this nice feeling of seeing something kinda exclusive and beautiful.. I played the game from launch in 2004 until Feb of this year and it was great, I didn't like the endgame though, all the raiding was horrible but I loved making alts and playing level 1-50, and that's basically all I did.. I did all the side stuff like collecting all of the non-combat pets and mastering cooking, etc. Very fun stuff but after a while there wasn't enough there for me.. I might play again when the expansion comes out, I'll have to wait and see

wow-virah-crystalcaves.jpg

wow-sensara-winterspring-hat.jpg

wow-sensara-epicmount-azshara.jpg

The best aspect to the game Imo is that you can do a lot solo but still have people around to interact with and be around, and you can also do harder quests and instances with groups when you want to.. The freedom to then go around and explore or do stuff solo was really fantastic

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Boards of Canada said:
I've never played it, but I'm so bored right now I'll go for anything. WoW is about the only game that runs on my Mac natively (sure I could boot Windows, but that's lame). Convince me. I will go buy it tonight if you can.

I saw this disc at a local store that's $2.00 to try the game for 14 days. Something like that. Might have been free.

If you can, check stores for that, and give it a whirl.

It's fun, and cheap (for me anyways, end up not needing any other games).

Zeed

Banned
Do not get this game. Advice from a former WoW-o-holic. Sure, you might have some fun at first. But I can promise that you will not come out of it feeling good.

Boards of Canada said:
DO NOT ****ING BUY THE GAME, YOUR LIFE WILL END IF YOU DO.
:lol

May16

From what I've noticed, when people ask "Convince me to _____," it means they want to do it anyway. So if you're making this thread, you should probably just go buy the game anyway. So man up and make the decision.

SaitoH

May16 said:
From what I've noticed, when people ask "Convince me to _____," it means they want to do it anyway. So if you're making this thread, you should probably just go buy the game anyway. So man up and make the decision.

Heh, so true.

Boards of Canada said:
It's 19.99 at GameStop starting Monday..

Convinced? :)

Zensetsu

WoW is fun for a while, and if you play it you tend not to buy or play anything else. Eventually though you realise you just spent a ridiculous number of hours doing the same thing over and over. The most fun I had in the game was through exploring new areas with a friend. Most people don't play that way though.

You reach a stage where its far too much effort to continue playing.

Plissken

Boards of Canada said:
So, out of curiosity, what makes it so fun? When I first start the game, what am I going to be doing?

When you start the game at lvl 1, you'll be doing quests like this:

"Bring me 10 bear pelts, and I'll make you a slightly better shirt than what you have now."

When you get to lvl 60, you'll be doing quests like this:

"Bring be 10 ultra-rare scarabs, and I'll make you a slightly better weapon than what you have now"

Then, you get to go and spend 6 hours in a dungeon, sitting in front of your PC pressing 2-3 buttons over and over, to maybe have an item drop that you can use. And you get to do this every time a new dungeon with better stuff comes out.

If this sounds like fun to you, go get WoW. Like any other MMO, it's an endless item grind, there's always that one more piece of armor you need, or that one more weapon you need, that keeps you going. I got burned out after about a year and a half, and decided to spend my time playing all the PS2/Xbox/360 games I'd missed out on while playing WoW. I haven't missed it.

border

It's only an item grind if you choose to make it so -- a lot of the bitching you read about it is from people that have spent months at Lvl 60.....but by the time you hit all the problems of being a 60, you've already gotten more than your money's worth out of the game. A huge world to explore, big opportunities for co-op play, and fairly entertaining PVP content.

Buy it and have some very engaging fun. For christ's sake, at least buy else something instead of Starfox DS.

bengraven

Just try it out. Get the 14 day trial.

I just started playing and could count off numerous failings of the game, some of them somewhat large.

BUT...I have a fantastic guild and have been having the most fun with a game in a long time. I'm only worried about what I'm going to do when I want to play another open-world RPG like Oblivion and know that I'm the only one in the world.

It's desolate...

Plissken

border said:
It's only an item grind if you choose to make it so -- a lot of the bitching you read about it is from people that have spent months at Lvl 60.....but by the time you hit all the problems of being a 60, you've already gotten more than your money's worth out of the game. A huge world to explore, big opportunities for co-op play, and fairly entertaining PVP content.

Buy it and have some very engaging fun. For christ's sake, at least buy else something instead of Starfox DS.

I do have to admit the first year of playing was very fun. I enjoyed leveling my main, and did a bunch of alts as well. I had a great group of friends I ran with (most were "real world" friends, which makes the experience better, IMO), but eventually it just got old.

Chairman Yang

if he talks about books, you better damn well listen
If you like having an hour of actual fun for every 20 hours you spend playing a game, buy WoW.

I used to play for the game itself, but now that I'm in a casual raiding guild I find I enjoy talking to the people more than playing.

Though when I'm up to my Moonkin antics of sitting on people for fun.. ok nevermind that just sounds wrong.

Top Bottom