• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Convince me to buy World of Warcraft

bengraven

border said:
It's only an item grind if you choose to make it so -- a lot of the bitching you read about it is from people that have spent months at Lvl 60.....but by the time you hit all the problems of being a 60, you've already gotten more than your money's worth out of the game. A huge world to explore, big opportunities for co-op play, and fairly entertaining PVP content.

Buy it and have some very engaging fun. For christ's sake, at least buy else something instead of Starfox DS.

No shit. I can easily see myself putting twice as much time into WoW that I did Oblivion and I spent $70 on that.

Frankly, I just like being the world and I can't wait to make and play every other race.

Don't listen to the haters.

Unison

keiichi said:
Eb/Gamestop currently have a 14 trial of WoW for $1.99. Try it before you commit.

Yeah... I saw this too today... does that mean you don't need to buy the client itself any more?

If that's the case, WoW is certainly worth a purchase @ $2 + $13 a month.

Unison said:
Yeah... I saw this too today... does that mean you don't need to buy the client itself any more?

If that's the case, WoW is certainly worth a purchase @ $2 + $13 a month.

Nah you still gotta buy the actual game. That said, you can usually get it for around 50% off these days.

firex

Boards of Canada said:
I've never played it, but I'm so bored right now I'll go for anything. WoW is about the only game that runs on my Mac natively (sure I could boot Windows, but that's lame). Convince me. I will go buy it tonight if you can.
you are in the danger zone. I recommend staying away from WoW, because if you're a mild completionist, it will likely make you go nuts just trying to see all there is to see in the game. It definitely consumes a lot of your time, slowly at first, and then gradually getting to where you'll put 40+ hours a week into it if you're addicted and irresponsible.

I've never found games like these to keep me from real life responsibilities in the least, but if you don't have many (i.e. if you're in college and don't have a job, you're not working at all, or any other way that gives you a ton of free time) you will get sucked in. Unless you just completely, totally hate everything about RPGs, and I mean everything. Not just "well I don't like random battles and turn-based combat" or any of the stereotypical JRPG stuff, I mean "I don't give a shit about fantasy settings or stat-mongering or dungeon crawling." So if you're the latter then you shouldn't bother getting the game at all.

MMOs are by their very nature meant to draw you in at first, by presenting you with this big world to explore and awe at, and things to run around and do, sights to take in etc. But then eventually you get past the early stuff where it's all fun and new, and you hit the bad part (it exists in EVERY MMO) where the leveling feels like it takes too long because it's uninteresting, the game world gets dull or repetitive, the combat is a bit tiresome because you've found the combo of skills and/or items you need to kill stuff and level up faster, and basically the game just starts to blow. But at this point you're thinking "I've already put so much time in, I can't quit now!" or you want to see if there's anything really cool over the horizon (and admittedly, WoW does have some cool stuff at higher levels) so you keep playing. Then eventually you reach the max level and you either decide to start playing another class or go for some other non-level-based goal, and now you're hooked.

White Man

Honestly: Wait for the expansion. I have a feeling a lot of people haven't been playing lately because they are saving their enthusiasm for it. Once it does roll around, I'm positive a new non-asshole GAF guild will start up.

Well thanks for all the input. I think I'll wait for the expansion and just buy it. For now, Starfox DS it is. I'm just worried I won't have time for WoW because I'm just incredibly busy lately with reality. Kinda sad.

I've known way too many people who've stopped their lives to play this game. go to work, rush home to raid all night, go to work, rush home to raid all night. It's a life-killer, stay far away.

etiolate

Banned
Boards of Canada said:
Is it fun?

Not really, and that's the whole deal breaker. It eats up a lot of time, and occasionally I'll think "i need something to waste time with" and think of WoW, but then I don't because I remember... it just wasn't fun enough to justify the money and time.

noizbot

WoW is an absolutely amazing experience the first time you play through to level 60 and I can recommend it to anyone that has any interest in RPGs. The world is huge and very well realized, and grinding is kept to a bare minimum. The interface is tight and logical, and you're constantly discovering new areas, skills and events. Any race/class combination is quite fun to play. However, once you finally hit 60 (~16 days actual playtime, less if you take lots of breaks and get a 'rested experience bonus') you generally get funneled into guild raiding or pvping -- both of which are being vastly improved (imho) in the expansion.

Alternatively, you can level an alt -- either to 60, or bring multiple alts to level 19, 29 or 39 and take part in battlegrounds and stuff. It's quick to get characters to 19 and you can have fun with new classes in one of the PvP instances, as you get access to a nice sample of class abilities by that time. Playing new classes at level 19 in the battleground is actually a good way to learn the class, as you tend to play it safe in PvE and rarely have to deal with challenging circumstances.

The best things about WoW are: it's a very well designed game, incredibly fun the first time through and quite affordable once you realize how much you can really play for $15/mo.

The worst things about WoW are: it might prevent you from playing any other games. My gaming time was almost entirely dedicated to WoW for about a year, and man, I'm still struggling to catch up on all the great games that I missed. Also, as with many online gaming communities, you have a heap of idiots -- the official forums: never read them. You also risk the chance of becoming addicted, which is bad for very many reasons.

You also just might not like WoW, but you'll know if you want to keep playing by level 20 and you hit 20 pretty quickly. In any case, I'd recommend waiting for the expansion pack, which will likely be out later this year, in the midst of the new console mass orgy apocalypse.

Plissken said:
I do have to admit the first year of playing was very fun. I enjoyed leveling my main, and did a bunch of alts as well. I had a great group of friends I ran with (most were "real world" friends, which makes the experience better, IMO), but eventually it just got old.

Yup, as does every game, but you played this one for over a year. Quite a feat right?
True, the endless raiding does get very old, and not getting the right items is immensely frustrating cause you just spent 6 hours of your life for nothing. But when you do this raiding with actual (real world) friends, its a lot more fun (but you already mentioned this as well).

Top Bottom