• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cooking GAF: OT

GeekyDad

That's weird. China produces most of the world's white garlic, so I don't know why it would become scarce all of the sudden.

I prefer purple myself for their larger cloves, though.
Ah, wasn't aware of that. Wonder if it's an import issue. I know some times of year, transits get clogged up for one reason or another. Don't know anything about shipping fresh produce across seas, but it's hard to imagine how it survives.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
I'm still obsessed with these noodles. I've been changing up my veg and making sure I have mushrooms. So incredibly tasty.
jAbMK4p.jpg

over the weekend I saw that Costco has their lamb racks on sale, so I figured I try my hands on them again after some less than stella results before. used a marinade of parsley, rosemary, thyme, mint, garlic, cumin powder, olive oil, salt and pepper. it came out better this time around, but I wish I had let them stayed in the pan a little longer for a better sear. needs a little more salt thou, according to my dad.

Chittagong

Gold Member
I have been discovering turkish yog as a sauce base this year. It’s very fashionable in London at the moment. Great with grilled stuff. Did bit of a fridge clean BBQ today. Not my finest plating, casual sharing plates.

pcOVyqc.jpg

Top left - sprout salad, radish, thin carrot and cucumber slices, fresh peas, roasted pecans, homemade honey mustard dressing

Top right - horseradish tzatziki, grilled halloumi, mint, roasted pine nuts

Bottom left - yogurt sauce made from grilled chili, grilled onion, pine nuts, coriander

Bottom right - yogurt sauce made from grilled chili, grilled carrot, grilled parsnip, coriander

Last edited:

Fools idol

Banned
I found this great online butcher that offers pasture-for-life organic meat at a reasonable price a few months ago if any uk gafers are interested.

The steaks and bbq meats etc are pretty much the best quality money can buy, free from the nasties found in uk supermarket meats.

grass fed meat is obviously far better for human consumption than the GMO shit they feed most cows and chickens. But most of the stuff labeleld organic / grass fed is only grass finished, which means the animals are on grass diet for the last few months of life. PFL stamp means they are born, raised and die on the grass / pasture diet which is not only better for taste and quality, but better for the environment.

Fools idol

Banned
My first meal post in here after lurkin for ages 🤣 go easy on me. I'm a bit OCD about ingredients, sources, sustainability of food as my family has a farming background.

Homemade (and grown) beef chilli. Slow cooked for 6 hours.

- Pasture raised ground beef (as above post).
- mixed steenbergs spices including chilli powder, corriander, smoked paprika, kashmiri, oregeno, marjoram, cumin
- tomato puree

and then all the rest of the ingredients grown on our veggie plot at home.

- crushed tomatoes
- green peppers
- celery
- red onions
- garlic
- salt n pepper
- spring onions

guac is just avocado + onion, lime, crushed chilli

organic feta

pab3rue.jpg

Last edited:

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
My first meal post in here after lurkin for ages 🤣 go easy on me. I'm a bit OCD about ingredients, sources, sustainability of food as my family has a farming background.

Homemade (and grown) beef chilli. Slow cooked for 6 hours.

- Pasture raised ground beef (as above post).
- mixed steenbergs spices including chilli powder, corriander, smoked paprika, kashmiri, oregeno, marjoram, cumin
- tomato puree

and then all the rest of the ingredients grown on our veggie plot at home.

- crushed tomatoes
- green peppers
- celery
- red onions
- garlic
- salt n pepper
- sprinf onions

guac is just avocado + onion, lime, crushed chilli

organic feta

pab3rue.jpg
:messenger_smiling_hearts:

JCK75

I'm always on the lookout for the ultimate dessert..
While Applebees is a shitshow I've always loved the Blondie.

I was at a party a few weeks back and my girlfriends brother in law brought these brown butter pecan cookies that were mind blowing..
and all I could think about is how amazing they would be as the base of a blondie.
So I hunted down the recipe and put it together.

This was batch #1 where I messed up the blondie sauce (melted the butter instead of just letting it soften..still tasted the same but loses that light cream look).

This IMO was the ultimate dessert.

Iz9QtaT.jpg

Chittagong

Gold Member
Applewood Smoked Pulled Pork Sandwiches
tLtZzbB.jpg

kN5kxsi.jpg

Applewood Smoked Mashed Potatoes with Smoked Gouda and Bacon
BK1Umt8.jpg

Honey and Jalapeño coleslaw
E6PXLJw.jpg

Leftover Mashed Potato Panfried Gnocchi, Smoked Pulled Pork and Coleslaw with a garlic and shallot cream sauce and drizzled BBQ Sauce
Mhhyraz.jpg

XACNZ4j.jpg

46khpEg.jpg
These look so delicious and creative. How do you make your slaw?

These look so delicious and creative. How do you make your slaw?
Make the coleslaw and the dressing separate. Let the dressing sit for like 1or 2 hours. Put them together when you’re ready to serve. It’s basically a modification to typical coleslaw. Also, I use a mandolin on close to the thinnest setting.

Vegetables​

• 3 cups Large Red Cabbage (Thinly Sliced)
  • 3 cups Large Green Cabbage (Thinly Sliced)
  • 1 cup Carrots (Shredded)
  • 1 White Onion (Peeled and Grated)
  • 1 Jalapeño (Grated)
  • 2 cloves Garlic (Minced)

Dressing​

• 1 cup Mayonaise
  • ½ cup Apple Cider Vinegar
  • 1 tablespoon Honey
  • ½ teaspoon Celery Seed
  • ¼ cup Brown Sugar
  • 1 tablespoon Kosher Salt
  • 2 teaspoons Freshly Ground Black Pepper

Last edited:

GeekyDad

I'm always on the lookout for the ultimate dessert..
While Applebees is a shitshow I've always loved the Blondie.

I was at a party a few weeks back and my girlfriends brother in law brought these brown butter pecan cookies that were mind blowing..
and all I could think about is how amazing they would be as the base of a blondie.
So I hunted down the recipe and put it together.

This was batch #1 where I messed up the blondie sauce (melted the butter instead of just letting it soften..still tasted the same but loses that light cream look).

This IMO was the ultimate dessert.

Iz9QtaT.jpg
Honestly, when I saw the picture, I initially thought it was mashed potatoes and gravy on top of re-fried beans. Interesting appearance to be sure.

Sous Vide Steak with smoked Gouda mashed potatoes, 24-Hour Balsamic Marinated Mushrooms with a Red Wine Reduction.

ci2eLt7.jpg

I was particularly proud of this one. The steak was Sous vide with Montreal Steak Seasoning, Butter, Minced Garlic, Fresh Rosemary and Fresh Thyme. Cooked to 135, medium rare. Pan seared on a cast iron skillet.

The Red Wine Reduction was made with Red Wine, Beef Broth, Salt, Pepper, Shallots, Butter, Fresh Thyme and Steak Juices.

The Balsamic Mushrooms I made the night before, oven baked in a skillet with olive oil, fresh thyme, salt, pepper, and garlic. Then refrigerated overnight in olive oil and balsamic vinegar, then brought to room temp before serving.

Smoked Gouda mashed potatoes were made with Yukon golds, Montreal Steak Seasoning, smoked Gouda, sour cream, butter and heavy cream.

Last edited:

Liljagare

Made some Tuna steak roll. Tuna, lettuces of varied sorts, pickled cornichones, pickled silver leek, green leek, curry-lime sauce, toum (lebaneese garlic sauce, made with garlic, salt, lemon juice, turns into a mayo when mixed, really good stuff) dill crowns, tarragone, salt and pepper, and a wheat flour thin bread. And thinly sliced parsnip. All veggies from our colony lot. :)

B9NRskZ.jpg
7MYioEb.jpg
qNfRBb1.jpg
d2kiAgp.jpg

Last edited:
Looking awesome Liljagare Liljagare - super effort.

Couple of Finnish summer classics today.

P5D7qYm.jpg

Open sandwiches. One with creamy chanterelles, shallots, thyme, and the other with lemon mayo, salted herring, pickled red onion and lemon zest.

rfs33Dd.jpg

Oven roasted salmon with herbs, a pesto creme fraiche sauce, oven roasted root vegetables, cabbage and fennel slaw, toasted pine nuts
Your plates are always so beautiful

Chittagong

Gold Member
I need to stop looking at this thread. My waistline grew a few inches.

I’ve got something healthy for you!

I accidentally managed to mash up quite a satisfying emptying-the-fridge salad. For the base, the rest of cabbage and sprout salads, mixed with rest of home pickled cucumbers and onions, cubed in. Yogurt herb lemon sauce. The remaining oven herb salmon from the day before yesterday. Dill pesto. Pecan nuts. Couple of pickled cucumber and onions whole for show.

ZDq0tM8.jpg

Last edited:

Chittagong

Gold Member
Autumn is here. I wanted to create some hearty dishes using very local seasonal produce.

LLXf0ey.jpg

Local rye bread, smoked herring and black currant sauce, home pickled red onion

fXhHO0R.jpg

Chanterelle three ways - soup, pickled and fried, with mocha cream

qXek4oV.jpg

Moose with red wine sauce. Five autumn roots: turnip, swede, parsnip, carrot, potato. Herb oil Chanterelle mousse.

To go with the more casual late night BBQ, I served coleslaw made with ResilientBanana ResilientBanana recipe, turned out fantastic:

QIlwqbY.jpg

Last edited:
Big ass Gluten Free Burgers made with Worcestershire sauce, Dijon mustard, eggs, gluten-free flour, and Montreal steak seasoning. Used some homemade pickles pickled in onions habanero and jalapeño.
NVVCw1P.jpg

Apple and Sweet Potato Soup with Walnut and Oat honey clusters. Baked and Blended apples, sweet potatoes, as well as sautéed red onions, and garlic together with cinnamon, nut meg and various other seasonings.
maoYUln.jpg

Liljagare

1RQNri6.jpg
9y4PM1Q.jpg

Fall chanterelles, kruschanterelles, chanterelles and hedgehog mushrooms, pale and birch.

Best way to enjoy the first batch. :D Will be making soups, lasagnas, pasta dishes, alongside side dishes for the moose that is about to land. :) :) Doesn't look like much, but it is delicious, love when the mushroom season is this good! Will be drying some too for soups/stocks.

zUcUwjz.jpg

GeekyDad

Had a cousin meet, made ribeye roast with potato garlic gratine, also redwine sauce and a vinegrette slaw. Wife made a wonderfull vanilla angel cake and vanilla sauce. Did not get any left overs.. :p

CpsZeVM.jpg
ngp7pDa.jpg
PhnsIft.jpg
Oh No Wow GIF by The Great British Bake Off

I'm not even a huge fan of red meat, but that looks insanely perfect. Wow...

Chittagong

Gold Member
Couple of more dishes with limited tropical supplies.

3QdGrkT.jpg

Lunch salad - pineapple, cucumber, red onion, pecan nuts, cayenne pepper, olives, crumbled feta

DuQ2agk.jpg

Dinner - fried aubergine with goat’s cheese, beans fried in garlic, pickled radish, toasted almons, fried onion, balsamic vinegar

As I can’t tolerate starch very well doing my own food has improved life quality immensely. I will take lessons from January to March from the former head chef of Sofitel’s fine dining restaurant to increase complexity and sophistication of my presentation and plating.

Top Bottom