• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cool looking landline phone sets

Status
Not open for further replies.

DOWN

Banned
I'm in America and my parents are trying to replace their landline phones (they need a 3 or 4 handset bundle) and my dad grabbed the wrong box at the store and is exasperated. I think his tastes are ugly so now is my chance to make him buy a sexy phone like a Bang and Olufsen look (but cheaper).
bang-and-olufsen-beocom-4-cordless-phone-profile.jpg

a_5099cb192b976.jpg

Help me find a hot house phone please

AxeMan

I haven't had a house phone for over 4 years. I'm constantly asking others why they have one when the topic comes up. So far the best answer has been to get cheap call rates overseas.
No one else has any other reason that I've heard

I used to have that bang and olufsen phone. I don't think I'd spend any decent amount of money on a new landline though.

I haven't had a house phone for over 4 years. I'm constantly asking others why they have one when the topic comes up. So far the best answer has been to get cheap call rates overseas.

I don't have a house phone anymore either but when I'm in the office I like using the landline so I can see the appeal of a house phone. The only difference is that when I'm making a call in my office I'm by my desk most of the time so the landline's always within arms reach.

sgjackson

i get shit cell reception in my house but once you go over one street it's fine for the rest of the town. it's baffling.

i should move somewhere this isn't a problem

CDX

My mother wouldn't stop bugging me about a getting myself a landline phone, "because then 911 would have your exact address if you need to call them for an emergency" ...apparently GPS was not good enough for her.

I finally gave in and got the VoIP Ooma instead as my "landline", it's only $3.XX a month They give 911 your address just like the landlines used to, so that shut my mother up.

And yes it does have cheap rates for calls overseas, so that's a plus.

I still use a house phone. Currently with Ooma. Looking for something better.
What don't you like about Ooma? I almost never use mine. But it seems fine to me when I do.

AxeMan

I don't have a house phone anymore either but when I'm in the office I like using the landline so I can see the appeal of a house phone. The only difference is that when I'm making a call in my office I'm by my desk most of the time so the landline's always within arms reach.

Definitely use a desk phone in the office, if work gave me a mobile I think I'd still use my desk phone. The business also gets free calls within their own VoIP network so I'd say they'd prefer to use that than a mobile

i get shit cell reception in my house but once you go over one street it's fine for the rest of the town. it's baffling.

i should move somewhere this isn't a problem

My mother wouldn't stop bugging me about a getting myself a landline phone, "because then 911 would have your exact address if you need to call them for an emergency" ...apparently GPS was not good enough for her.

I finally gave in and got the VoIP Ooma instead as my "landline", it's only $3.XX a month They give 911 your address just like the landlines used to, so that shut my mother up.

And yes it does have cheap rates for calls overseas, so that's a plus.

Yeah, they are some solid reasons. Especially the reception issue.
The main reason I don't want one is because your name and address is automatically added to the White Pages which is a huge pain to get out of and also cold callers. I don't get cold callers without a land line

I have a simple Siemens set, and why? Because when I'm home I'm never sure where my cellphone is, and maybe it's on vibrate or mute and I won't hear anyone call. People know they can always reach me on the hard line when I'm home, the phone is usually in its docking station and the ringer is loud enough to hear in almost the entire house.

Also how do you guys send a fax.

DOWN

Banned
How many people still use house phones? Also, buy a rotary phone. They look cool.
get off Pinterest breh
I hear they are better in disasters and emergencies

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member
I'm in America and my parents are trying to replace their landline phones (they need a 3 or 4 handset bundle) and my dad grabbed the wrong box at the store and is exasperated. I think his tastes are ugly so now is my chance to make him buy a sexy phone like a Bang and Olufsen look (but cheaper).

Honestly it looks like a gigantic dildo.

DOWN

Banned

webkatt

Function over fashion OP.

ITS FUCKING LANDLINE PHONE FOR YOUR PARENTS, WHAT WILL A "SEXY" PHONE ACCOMPLISH?!

Aiii

So not worth it
When I realized I was paying 10 bucks extra a month to my ISP just so Telemarketers had a way to reach me I figured it was time to get rid of my landline.

Anyways OP, get a 70s Orange Rotary Phone. Nothing is cooler than a retro phone in your home.

Depending on where you live, you might need to have a landline phone so that you can buzz people into the building etc.

Personally I'm a fan of it regardless, especially if your're landline is still on a copper line, you still potentially have phone service in a blackout.

dejay

Banned
I have one of these

W05lH8l.jpg

They're cheap, have a modern take on a classic shape, they're small and you can hold the handset between your shoulder and ear like it's 1989.

I should point out that I never make outgoing calls on it and generally when it rings I ignore it. I only have it because I'm not on naked DSL so may as well have a phone hanging off it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom