• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cop beats man as fellow cop attempts to cover it up (video)

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
ACLU video (yt).

Full video of the incident (yt).

Article link.

B5GhSad.jpg

Dashcam video of a senselessly violent assault by a cop on a 21-year-old Laotian American has just been released and is the subject of an ACLU report this week. The video shows Buffalo Ridge Drug Task Force Agent Joe Joswiak stop Anthony Promvongsa in Worthington, Minnesota and immediately begin a violent attack.

The beating was captured on another officer's dashcam who is caught disabling the audio to cover up Joswiak's insanely violent fury.

According to police, Promvongsa was driving erratically for several city blocks sticking his head out of the window and yelling at Joswiak. Joswiak claims Promvongsa was swerving toward him repeatedly while making threatening remarks and unidentified hand signals.

Joswiak claims he turned on his lights to make the stop and that Promvongsa refused to stop. However, from the dashcam, the young man appears to be driving quite safely and pulls over when he sees the actual patrol car with his lights on.

As City Pages reports, Promvongsa is charged with two counts of assault with a deadly weapon (his car), one count of fleeing a peace officer in a motor vehicle, possessing a small amount of marijuana, and driving with a revoked driver's license. He has pleaded not guilty.

i wish i could make arguably the biggest mistake possible at my job and never lose it

wait.....didnt....didnt i say that already today....

Does the victim have...

"As City Pages reports, Promvongsa is charged with two counts of assault with a deadly weapon (his car), one count of fleeing a peace officer in a motor vehicle, possessing a small amount of marijuana, and driving with a revoked driver’s license. He has pleaded not guilty."

Not expecting much then.

Dierce

We need a new civil rights era to push legislation that will get rid of all these criminal cops.

There needs to be massive restructuring and layoffs in law enforcement instead of giving these scums paid leave and letting them keep their jobs after.

The mental gymnastics conservatives go through to defend this bullshit. "I hate unions but blue lives matter and praise the police union for sticking up for those cops." "I hate authoritarian government but I feel safe knowing that my local cops are well armed with tactical gear and trained in urban warfare'

Sephzilla

The Castile honestly broke me when it comes to stuff like this. Our country's police for is broken and pretty much needs to be rebuilt

See, if I type some real shit about these cops enjoying this kind of violence, some posters would tell me to stop talking about it rather than acknowledge that these cops know they can get away with this kind of violence and way too many of them probably celebrate these moments

at least they didn't kill the kid

Wamb0wneD

I love how the cop doesn't even say/yell that he's a cop and just goes "GET THE FUCK OUT OF THERE" with a gun drawn. I wouldn't get out of my car if i wasn't sure it was a damn cop. How amateurs like this get a license and a gun is simply baffling to me.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Some cops are good...

In the words of the great philosopher, Ice Cube:

Clean cop, clean cop, fucking with that dirty cop
Don’ act like yo ass never heard of that
Clean cop, clean cop, rollin’ with that mean cop
Still tryna’ act proud as peacock
You know that mean cop might need a detox
Motherfucker’ tryna blow me out my Reebox

Good cop, good cop, where is your dignity?
Where’s your empathy?
Where is your sympathy?
Bad cop, where’s your humanity?
Good cop, is that just a fantasy?
Hell on that nigga, snitch on that bitch
Truth be told, motherfuck the blue code
Fuck the po-po actin’ like Deebo
Already know Craig let the brick go
Black Lives Matter, it’s not chit chatter
'Cause all they wanna do, is scatter brain matter

Why would you ever attempt to write a report that doesn't match what happened on the dashcam? lol
Because you must justify your complete loss of control and escalation of the situation, and you either didn't realize the video was rolling, or believed you'd be able to erase, destroy, or "lose" it.

ColdPizza

Banned
I love how the cop doesn't even say/yell that he's a cop and just goes "GET THE FUCK OUT OF THERE" with a gun drawn. I wouldn't get out of my car if i wasn't sure it was a damn cop. How amateurs like this get a license and a gun is simply baffling to me.

I mean, the guy pulled over because at that point he saw flashing lights. Even if the first part of the video were true (about the erratic driving), if I were the cop I'd walk up to the side of the vehicle and just be like "you know you dun goofed, right?"

This guy has no business being a cop.

blakep267

I mean, the guy pulled over because at that point he saw flashing lights. Even if the first part of the video were true (about the erratic driving), if I were the cop I'd walk up to the side of the vehicle and just be like "you know you dun goofed, right?"

This guy has no business being a cop.
Your looking at it from a reasonable perspective. If you have a crazy racist guy who just wants to beat some ass, none of that other stuff matters

That cop was probably licking his chops as soon as they saw the SUV. He gets a chance to kick somebody's ass, and almost get away with it

Jeff-DSA

Pearl Jam's W.M.A. is still as relevant as ever. Maybe more so than when it was released.

"W.M.A."

he won the lottery when he was born
took his mothers white breast to his tongue
trained like dogs, color and smell
walks by me to get to him
police man
police man
he won the lottery by being born
big hand slapped a white male american
do no wrong, so clean cut...
dirty his hands, it comes right off
police man
police man
police stopped my brother again
police man
police man
jesus greets me...looks just like me...
do no wrong, so clean cut
dirty his hands, it comes right off
police man
police man
police man
police man
police man
police man
police man
police man
all my pieces set me free...human devices set me free...
all my pieces set me free...
human devices set me free...
all my pieces set me free...
human devices set me free...

Malvolio

Why would you ever attempt to write a report that doesn't match what happened on the dashcam? lol

Because history has shown that video evidence isn't incriminating when it comes to unlawful actions by law enforcement. They know the Blue Wall and white juries have their back.

cameron

The beating was captured on another officer’s dashcam who is caught disabling the audio to cover up Joswiak’s insanely violent fury.
That is Sgt. Tim Gaul, who teaches "use of force" for the department. From coverage by NBC News:
Worthington Police Sgt. Tim Gaul, who teaches "use of force" to Worthington police officers, aided in the pursuit and arrest of Promvongsa, and is seen backing up Joswiak in the video. Gaul was named in two separate excessive force cases that were settled by the city of Worthington, records show. In both incidents he allegedly dislocated the plaintiffs' shoulder, one of whom was eight-months pregnant, according to court papers.

bender

What time is it?
Even if what the police department is claiming happened prior to that video (where is the dash cam footage displaying this), how does it justify the beating inflicted? Is there a legal fund I can donate to?

TheStruggler

Report me for trolling ND/TLoU2 threads
....i guess they skipped the step of "can I see your license and registration please and went right on with the police brutality.

I usually just lurk these threads but the Castile shooting pushed me over the edge. Fuck these cops. It's not enough that they hardly ever get punished for their flagrant lack of restraint and abuse of power toward minorities, but the demonization of their victims is equally as appalling.

The Kree

Banned
Patiently waiting on the good cops to do something, anything, about these bad cops. C'mon, prove you exist, good cops.

oneHeero

why the fuck is the cop the one driving in the wrong fkn lanes? Passing stop signs, etc? How the fuck is that shit legal if they didn't have their lights on?

Was there a call they responded to? did I miss that?

EDIT: I see the cop tailing him now, missed it. Still bs.

TheOMan

Tagged as I see fit
Wish I could find the post that was mocking somebody for being apprehensive about visiting the US.

When your "good cops" cover up for the bad cops, guess what? Those aren't good cops.

Top Bottom