• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cop Pepper Sprays Black Lives Matter Attendees In Cleveland

Status
Not open for further replies.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Article link.

Videos from twitter:

14 year old put in cuffs.
Cop pepper sprays protestors.
Protestors trying to clean our their eyes.
Protestors after the spray.
Protestors and cops clashing.
After the cops let the 14 year old go.

The streets of Cleveland turned ugly on Sunday following the first national Black Lives Matter conference, where activists convened to discuss the use of deadly force between police and African Americans.

Witnesses told local ABC affiliate Newsnet5 that a 14-year-old who was thought to have been intoxicated was slammed to the ground after transit police confronted him about an open container by a bus stop.

The crowd of conference attendees began to protest his arrest by locking arms when a police officer allegedly pepper-sprayed them.

The teenager was seen being taken into an ambulance for treatment and later released to his mother, Newsnet5 reports.

The conference, whose full title is the National Convening of the Movement for Black Lives, began Friday at Cleveland State University. Thousands of activists from across the nation gathered for panels and workshops with the goal of holding officials accountable for police brutality following the deaths of Sandra Bland, Mike Brown, Tamir Rice and Eric Garner.

The Cleveland Police Department and the Greater Cleveland Regional Transit Authority could not immediately be reached for comment.

You can't make this shit up. These cops did a great job of showing why this conference is happening in the first place.

All I can say is at least no one died this time.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
14-year-old who was thought to have been intoxicated was slammed to the ground after transit police confronted him about an open container by a bus stop.

It's time thugs learned they can't have open containers in public. It's dehumanizing for us, white people.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
The teenager was seen being taken into an ambulance for treatment and later released to his mother

Why do I have a feeling the Police Chief was told about the incident and said "YOU DID WHAT?!?!?! RELEASE HIM YOU DUMBASSES!"

marrec

Banned
The image of multiple shaven head white police standing off with dozens of M4BL members is quite appropriate. The shaven head part I mean.

Not all cops, just enough that there's always one in place to make a shit show out of any interaction with a minority in America.

The pepper spraying asshole cop was a transit cop. Doesn't make it better or worse, just a point of detail.

Note in the video he says "Move" then just goes to town.

Con_Smith

Banned
How long before the defense force blames the protesters, teen, or used cups for this incident. Also people requesting facts and figures for said cups.

USC-fan

Banned
Biggest problem with police is they think they are the law instead of servants of the people.

Only job where you can be a complete dick to the people you work for and if "customers" act rude you can arrest them. Then you have to bail out or stay in jail until you "day" in court that could be weeks.

If police department would just act like most people run a business act and treat customers right.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Damn, so crazy seeing that cop non-nonchalantly spraying everywhere.

Not only how nonchalantly he does it, but it sounded like he gave them a warning, and then a millisecond after the warning, he lets off the spray.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
An open container near a bus stop? What in the fuck America?

Well, if the cops story is to be believed it was a 14 year old with an open container who seemed to be intoxicated. In which case, yeah, he needs to be taken somewhere, and if they just brought him to the EMS truck (and of course, assuming their story is true), then I don't see a problem with that. Hell, taking him to an onsite medical truck rather than throwing him in the back of a cop car is what they should do.

Are there any videos of his arrest? Only video in the OP says he was slammed down, but the video shows him being walked to the EMS truck, and seemingly unharmed, and everyone seemed calm.

But once again, the cops escalated things. Pulling out the pepper spray, threatening protestors with it, then using it. Stand the line at the EMS truck if you have to, but man that was just a stupid thing for him to do. Protestors locking arms, how the hell is that threatening?

tumblr_m5fp5z591R1qabfx1o2_500.gif

Slayven

Holy shit, it is like a parody article.

Holy shit all the cops look like T-800s looking for a reason go batshit

Lazyslob

Banned
Well, if the cops story is to be believed it was a 14 year old with an open container who seemed to be intoxicated. In which case, yeah, he needs to be taken somewhere, and if they just brought him to the EMS truck (and of course, assuming their story is true), then I don't see a problem with that. Hell, taking him to an onsite medical truck rather than throwing him in the back of a cop car is what they should do.

well thats the robot answer and probably no where near the truth.

well thats the robot answer and probably no where near the truth.

And your "robot" answer is that the police are obviously in the wrong. And I love how some in this thread cry for justice and the humane treatment of black people while nonchalantly dehumanizing the police by calling them skin heads and terminators. Nice contribution towards treating all people like individuals deserving of respect.

Slayven

Like I said if they know how powerful a tool Twitter was going to be for black people, they would burn it to the ground before it launched.

Order

And your "robot" answer is that the police are obviously in the wrong. And I love how some in this thread cry for justice and the humane treatment of black people while nonchalantly dehumanizing the police by calling them skin heads and terminators. Nice contribution towards treating all people like individuals deserving of respect.
Those poor police officers being attacked.

Merc_

Right on time.

evanmisha

Wow, page 1?

Wynnebeck

Banned
"Protest the right way!" "All lives matter!"

Blah blah blah. Bullshit.

I've been hearing this shit all weekend from a whole bunch of friends of mine on Facebook. "Why are you guys trying to make this a racial thing!? ALL lives matter!" The sheer ignorance makes me want to rage.

Dai101

Banned

SKINHEADS AND DOUCHEBAGS ARE PEOPLE TOO

Ya'll bunch of meanies :mad: !!

strikeselect

You like me, you really really like me!

Disgusting.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz

Hehe... Hehehehe.

CephasTalmay

Neo Member

Slowly, but surely filling out ever square on that bingo card, huh?

Already, eh?

Verelios

I see, but tell me how you really feel.

Ke0

Yea those poor cops, think of the 200+ years of systematic discrimination and mistreatment they've faced! Come on black people, stop with your oppression!

What's wrong with sneaky's post? He's absolutely right. The cops who abuse their power routinely get away with macing non-violent protesters who are activist for equality, faceslamming black teenagers on bogus calls, killing black women for a traffic ticket and hiding the body, and arresting black men for checking out at the 7-11 shouldn't be name called. They deserve better.

Next time you get stalked in your own neighborhood, having to duck in an alley because you are afraid you and your dog will get shot because of your skin color, just remember how bad it is for that cop who has to follow you around instead of dealing with real criminals.

You disappoint me, GAF.

Crud

Banned
What's wrong with sneaky's post? He's absolutely right. The cops who abuse their power routinely get away with macing non-violent protesters who are activist for equality, faceslamming black teenagers on bogus calls, killing black women for a traffic ticket and hiding the body, and arresting black men for checking out at the 7-11 shouldn't be name called. They deserve better.

Next time you get stalked in your own neighborhood, having to duck in an alley because you are afraid you and your dog will get shot because of your skin color, just remember how bad it is for that cop who has to follow you around instead of dealing with real criminals.

You disappoint me, GAF.

You disappoint me, GAF.

I agree with most of this. Equal treatment means equal treatment. For all people. Dehumanizing cops isn't going to stop the dehumanization thats going on from their end.
Yes, a lot of cops are assholes that deserve to be fired and/or thrown in jail themselves. You still don't throw a blanket over them, thats doing the same shit they do to black lives.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom