• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cop Pepper Sprays Black Lives Matter Attendees In Cleveland

Status
Not open for further replies.
And your "robot" answer is that the police are obviously in the wrong. And I love how some in this thread cry for justice and the humane treatment of black people while nonchalantly dehumanizing the police by calling them skin heads and terminators. Nice contribution towards treating all people like individuals deserving of respect.

I read this in the voice of Hulk Hogan.

Damnit Cleveland, we're quickly gaining a reputation for having the worst police force in the country. Just a few months ago the Justice Department spanked them CPD for needless violence and racism.

I agree with most of this. Equal treatment means equal treatment. For all people. Dehumanizing cops isn't going to stop the dehumanization thats going on from their end.
Yes, a lot of cops are assholes that deserve to be fired and/or thrown in jail themselves. You still don't throw a blanket over them, thats doing the same shit they do to black lives.

Well, two things.

1. The reason why people are fearful of cops is shit like this. It's very easy to say "don't generalize" when you don't know the intentions of people with power. Should I have not generalized the cop scoping me out in my story? I think I have every right to assume in that event that it would not have ended well for me and I had every right to try and avoid getting taken to jail over walking my dog in a white neighborhood, or worse.

2. It's obvious people aren't throwing a blanket over all cops. It doesn't need to be stated that every time someone says "I hate cops" that they are obviously talking about the shitty ones. My dad is a cop, I'm obviously not talking about him in this or any situation, and I doubt anyone else here is either. I assume people contain enough logic that I won't need to continuously remind them of "what I mean" over and over,especially in the outline situation for this topic.

dekline

c1gqA1qV.PNG

Wow. Real police right here.

Well, two things.

1. The reason why people are fearful of cops is shit like this. It's very easy to say "don't generalize" when you don't know the intentions of people with power. Should I have not generalized the cop scoping me out in my story? I think I have every right to assume in that event that it would not have ended well for me and I had every right to try and avoid getting taken to jail over walking my dog in a white neighborhood, or worse.

2. It's obvious people aren't throwing a blanket over all cops. It doesn't need to be stated that every time someone says "I hate cops" that they are obviously talking about the shitty ones. My dad is a cop, I'm obviously not talking about him in this or any situation, and I doubt anyone else here is either. I assume people contain enough logic that I won't need to continuously remind them of "what I mean" over and over,especially in the outline situation for this topic.

I was agreeing with you unless I completely read your post wrong.

Crocodile

You'd think that, as an institution, the police would learn to exert extra tact in situations like these but they never seem to. Even in spite of the proliferation of camera phones, they (as a whole) still seem to NOT GET IT. I do wonder how long until noticeable positive changes emerge within police departments around this country?

*Sigh*

Anyway, I hope everybody involved is ok now.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Not only how nonchalantly he does it, but it sounded like he gave them a warning, and then a millisecond after the warning, he lets off the spray.
That's about all Tamir Rice got in Cleavland.

Merc_

You'd think that, as an institution, the police would learn to exert extra tact in situations like these but they never seem to. Even in spite of the proliferation of camera phones, they (as a whole) still seem to NOT GET IT. I do wonder how long until noticeable positive changes emerge within police departments around this country?

*Sigh*

Anyway, I hope everybody involved is ok now.

They don't need to get it. Look how we already had a post feeling sorry for those poor police officers. They know that as long as they keep their serious abuses limited to black folk, the majority will either not give a shit or secretly cheer it on.

PopeReal

They don't need to get it. Look how we already had a post feeling sorry for those poor police officers. They know that as long as they keep their serious abuses limited to black folk, the majority will either not give a shit or secretly cheer it on.

This. Many Americans have no problem with it because it isn't happening to them.

I see no problem with the use of pepper spray here if the story is correct. 14 Year old boy is intoxicated, taken to EMS vehicle, crowd creates a scene, even creates a wall, police use pepper spray. IF that is what happened then I see now reason to complain about the actions. You can't just create a fucking wall and obstruct officers then complain when you get pepper sprayed.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
I see no problem with the use of pepper spray here if the story is correct. 14 Year old boy is intoxicated, taken to EMS vehicle, crowd creates a scene, even creates a wall, police use pepper spray. IF that is what happened then I see now reason to complain about the actions. You can't just create a fucking wall and obstruct officers then complain when you get pepper sprayed.

Watching the first video, they got the kid to the EMS vehicle just fine.

Modern police are a bunch of scared pussies that escalate every situation they bother to show up at with their desperate, fumbling bullshit. We should fire them all, jail half of them, and start over.

Idba

The people that got peppersprayed werent blocking anything. The cop just went up and down and sprayed them.

Meanwhile KKK members get protection from the cops.

The people that got peppersprayed werent blocking anything. The cop just went up and down and sprayed them.

Meanwhile KKK members get protection from the cops.

Because police have never ever in the history of time ever helped a black protester. You can't be serious with this shit.

boiled goose

good with gravy
The cop apologists on this thread disappoint me so much.

Shows why change isn't happening faster. People don't give a fuck because it's not happening to them and their families.

If it was their wife, cousin, mother, daughter, son, friend getting pepper sprayed for peacefully demonstrating they would be singing a different tune.

Zornack

There was no reason to use the pepperspray. Just as ridiculous as the occupy wall street stuff.

I just don't understand how you get out of the situation then. Intoxicated minor in a police vehicle and a crowd is locking arms stopping the vehicle from moving. What do you do?

Idba

Because police have never ever in the history of time ever helped a black protester. You can't be serious with this shit.

When the hell did I say they havent? All I did was point out the difference in cops response to two recent protests.

I just don't understand how you get out of the situation then. Intoxicated minor in a police vehicle and a crowd is locking arms stopping the vehicle from moving. What do you do?

"Thought to be intoxicated" find it weird as why a 14 year old would be intoxicated under those circumstances so ill wait for an official police statement

Kinyou

I admit, perhaps it was a bit of a knee-jerk comment because I only saw the video where he sprayed them.

Though I wonder a couple of things. Like why was the kid handcuffed, is that normal to do when someone is intoxicated? And why did they end up letting him go? That kind of suggests that it wasn't that necessary to bring him to a police station.

boiled goose

good with gravy

A little more patience.

Submitting people to move using force so non challantly is definitely not the answer.

Think about it. Police are there to serve US and protect US. What goal does peppersraying a crowd of demonstraters achieve?

The police seem to currently exist to enforce their authority. Not to protect us.

DedValve

Banned
Wow, page 1?

Page 1? This is an improvement. Its not the first 3 posts. Soon true progress will be made and shit like this won't be viewable until AT LEAST page 4. And that will be a time to be alive!

Unless your black since this shit treatement they are getting won't be over for a long, long time. Not at this crazy rate.

waypoetic

Banned
"Hold the line"? Why? What are you trying to do?

Sometimes protestors just want to be like that little kid in the supermarket; just sits down in the toy aisle in protest just because his mom said "no jimmy, no toys today". They're not moving, they don't give a shit what the police are telling them and it's only a matter of seconds before one of the protestors throw something at an officer.

I don't know if this was a peaceful protest (IE: one where people aren't fucking shouting into megaphones and rallying up people to wreck some shit) but from the videos i saw it didn't look like one...

Sometimes protestors just want to be like that little kid in the supermarket; just sits down in the toy aisle in protest just because his mom said "no jimmy, no toys today". They're not moving, they don't give a shit what the police are telling them and it's only a matter of seconds before one of the protestors throw something at an officer.

I don't know if this was a peaceful protest (IE: one where people aren't fucking shouting into megaphones and rallying up people to wreck some shit) but from the videos i saw it didn't look like one...

1369750065000-WOOLWORTHS-MISS-052813-2-1305281058_4_3.jpg

Yeah how dare they not move when they are told to.

Idba

Megaphones are violent now? Really?

Also, when did one of the protestors throw something at police?

Red

waypoetic, what's your evidence for arguing these protestors were gearing up "to wreck some shit" ?

PopeReal

Congrats on one of the dumbest posts on Gaf.

hipbabboom

Huh? What did I say? Did I screw up again? :(
The sick thing about all of this is that the cops action's are completely (and I believe intentionally) counter-productive as it does nothing to de-escalate, stabilize or defuse whatever threat he perceived. It's a classic example of the idiom "pouring gasoline on the fire."

I mean this is the same town that still hasn't addressed why it hired the cop who killed a kid younger than the 14 in the story. I'm not really surprised they have no respect for the community or their issues. It's not even cold or robotic. It's actively antagonistic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom