• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Corona Virus possible effect on new consoles?

Trimesh

Banned
Do you really trust Winnie the Pooh to have been 100% accurate with numbers from day one? They did the bare minimum and only did so once everyone was looking their way.

Trust is irrelevant here though - just the actions the Chinese were taking made it very obvious that they considered the situation sufficiently critical that they were willing to shut down half the country to fight it. I find the claim that this somehow "induced a false sense of security" in you bizarre, because it had exactly the opposite effect on me.

Trust is irrelevant here though - just the actions the Chinese were taking made it very obvious that they considered the situation sufficiently critical that they were willing to shut down half the country to fight it. I find the claim that this somehow "induced a false sense of security" in you bizarre, because it had exactly the opposite effect on me.

Never said it gave me a false sense of security. I was a believer day one that this was real. But there was a somewhat prevalent feeling that this wasn't going to affect us or pose any danger to us, which IMO comes from China withholding information. Keep in mind I don't have anything to back that up, just a general hunch based on the fact that China never got an information they didn't want to omit.

China has taken pretty intense measures to try to contain the Corona virus outbreak within their border, as of now all of their main production cities are on lockdown (even Shenzen and many other major cities outside the Wuhan province are on lock down, their ports are closed).

Is it even possible that we will see new consoles if things keep going in this direction?

Obviously there could be a turn around, but I would not plan on this happening too soon.
Not problem for me.

I can wait even for 2022. Im not have Rush in the next gen.

MoreJRPG

Suffers from extreme PDS
It’ll do wonders for Sony as they need a convenient excuse to rework the underpowered 9tflops device.

Aion002

It’ll do wonders for Sony as they need a convenient excuse to rework the underpowered 9tflops device.
source.gif

Anyway... I think that next gen is already delayed... Maybe MS will push the cheapest Series X model, just to have something for this year.... and, maybe, not even worldwide, just US and some other countries.

lukilladog

Have you seen what they have done (closed cities, factories, quarantined everything and everyone), they didn't act like nothing was going on.

It´s fine that they quarantined cities, but as long as those type of markets continue to operate in the rest of China, they will continue to be a sanitary risk for mankind.

WolfusFh

Goddamnit this thread has politics BS in it too? Fuck. Can people go one day without talking about politics?

Regarding the topic, it has affected a lot of things. Stock markets are nuts right now. I'm just trying to forget about this and keep living. Not much else I can do. Obviously I will check the warnings and protocols and shit.

Holammer

Realistically they'll cancel 2020 releases for new hardware. The economy will recover just like it did after the Spanish Flu, maybe not roaring/golden 20's style, but it'll be fine.
Depending on the economic impact, I'm guessing late 2021 at the earliest for new consoles.
Expect similar troubles for smart phones and other devices as well.

McHuj

Actually, I think it's still to early to tell. Let's see what happens in 4-6 weeks. If things are as bad as they are today, then we're probably looking at delays of everything. If the outlook is improving and life is slowly starting to return to normal, then I don't see why they wouldn't launch. I think the next month is critical to not just the consoles, but world economy.

PerfectDark

Banned
100% delayed a year. I was planning on buying 2x Xbox Series X instead of a PC. I went and got the PC because Xb1x can barley run the only game I play PoE and Its torture playnig it on such weak hardware.

Mozza

The Chinese do have it now under control. Its the USA and Europe that are now going rampant by the day. At least in China they sealed off the city and vanned flights,you dont hear that many cases from lets say Shanghai.

Yes because if the Chinese had shut the place down right away the virus would not have spread around the world, oh hang on a second it has ;) , so they were also slow in shutting things down.

Yes because if the Chinese had shut the place down right away the virus would not have spread around the world, oh hang on a second it has ;) , so they were also slow in shutting things down.

Because they had no idea yet as they were the first. How would you know u developed a new virus? Especially with such similar simptoms to flu. Italy knew about all this 2 months ago and took ZERO measures. There will be a higher death toll in Italy than China real soon.

lukilladog

Because they had no idea yet as they were the first. How would you know u developed a new virus? Especially with such similar simptoms to flu. Italy knew about all this 2 months ago and took ZERO measures. There will be a higher death toll in Italy than China real soon.

There were chinese doctors reporting potentially new dangerous stuff back in November (at least) and they were shutdown by the communist police. Italy has no freedom of speech either so it wouldn´t surprise if the same thing happened over there.

Top Bottom