• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mask Efficacy |OT| Wuhan!! Got You All In Check

Status
Not open for further replies.

diffusionx

Gold Member
101655861_10217147372818060_1848744998703464448_n.jpg

It's such a good point. The weekend after last, pool parties and barbecues were deemed an existential threat, literally now thousands of people are out looting and rioting, and COVID just doesn't matter anymore.

I haven't seen a single article on any mainstream site about what the riots mean for COVID -if anyone has let me know. My guess is that they realize the bind they're in, because they either admit the government needs to crack down extremely hard to save everyone's life, or admit that if we can go out and riot and loot without fear of COVID, then we can do things like get a haircut or go to a bar, which contradicts their 24/7 reporting of the past 3 months. I read one article about how these riots are being enabled by the lockdown, especially in places like NYC, where normally on a Saturday night with perfect weather, thousands and thousands of people would be out and about. I've seen protests in the city many, many, many times, and people are going about their business around it. But right now, the sidewalks are empty and stores are closed, perfect conditions for looters.

Last edited:

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Gretchen Whitmer called the Wuhan lockdown protesters "racist and misogynistic".

I can assure she isn't the saying the same thing about "protesters" who loot and attack fellow Americans.

The overnight flip of the narrative is hilarious. If you believe the media, I have no sympathy for you.

iorek21

Yep, the same is beginning to happen here in Brazil. Covid is still spreading like wildfire, but media and SJW seems to be dropping the #StayAtHome narrative to support “democratic” protests from Antifa.

Covid is only useful for the narrative, once it becomes disposable, it’ll barely be spoken about, even if it’s still a threat.

It's such a good point. The weekend after last, pool parties and barbecues were deemed an existential threat, literally now thousands of people are out looting and rioting, and COVID just doesn't matter anymore.

I haven't seen a single article on any mainstream site about what the riots mean for COVID -if anyone has let me know. My guess is that they realize the bind they're in, because they either admit the government needs to crack down extremely hard to save everyone's life, or admit that if we can go out and riot and loot without fear of COVID, then we can do things like get a haircut or go to a bar, which contradicts their 24/7 reporting of the past 3 months. I read one article about how these riots are being enabled by the lockdown, especially in places like NYC, where normally on a Saturday night with perfect weather, thousands and thousands of people would be out and about. I've seen protests in the city many, many, many times, and people are going about their business around it. But right now, the sidewalks are empty and stores are closed, perfect conditions for looters.

I have seen quite a few reports from local news stations but its clearly not the focus. Also, what really is there to say? Most of the segments consist of "experts are concerned that the protests will cause a spike in cases" but that wont be known for weeks

Siri

Banned
I can contest that it does still mess with you weeks later.

I have mostly recovered from it but still get dizzy spells and breathing problems now and again, and at my worst I kept getting shocks throughout my body as well as heavy breathing. It is very scary to have.

How old are you? Of the 27 employees at my work who got Covid19, the hardest hit was a 25-year-old, who three months after his illness is still feeling unwell at times.

I thought that when he returned to work (because he now has antibodies) he’d feel invincible - but it’s the opposite: he wears a mask at all times and gets nervous when people stand too close to him. He’s shell-shocked. It reminds me of that saying: the things we fear the most have already happened to us.

Neil Young

Gretchen Whitmer called the Wuhan lockdown protesters "racist and misogynistic".

I can assure she isn't the saying the same thing about "protesters" who loot and attack fellow Americans.

The overnight flip of the narrative is hilarious. If you believe the media, I have no sympathy for you.
I'm not a tin foil hat guy but goddamn if I didn't buy a large pack of Reynolds Wrap today. I can't take the blatant hypocrisy of the media anymore.

Everything is just so convenient. Stream of consciousness:

Roaring economy, best ever according to some metrics. But orange man bad, how to stop him? Push Russian hoax. Fuck, didn't work. Push Ukraine. Strike two. Ahhhhhh, virus. It's real, but how deadly? Doesn't matter. Shut it all down! But it's not that bad. Wear a mask! Shame, shame, how dare you bring up numbers, so you're saying you want people to die? Stay inside, don't protest you white supremacists!! You're going to kill everyone!

"We need to work." Say the local business owners. Stay inside or we will arrest you!! Shame!! You're going to kill people because some asshole needs a haircut.

Memorial Day. Look at those idiots!! They're going to kill us. How dare they live their life. Snitch on them!! Shame them!!

Twitter fact checks Trump.

Floyd murder. All of the above is gone. "Protesters ". BLM. White racists. Trump didn't do enough. Based on stats, shouldn't whites be protesting against police brutality?

Twitter seems to be ok with Antifa coordinating and threatening to kill white people/riot. Fact checks?

What happened to Covid? But I was told I was going to kill someone if I didn't wear a mask? Support these peaceful protests or you're a bigot and part of the problem.

I finished the bill of my tin foil hat. I don't want to be this way but I can't ignore what is in front of my face.

Good luck with the recovery everyone.

cryptoadam

Banned
The pandemic is over! Go burn down buildings and loot some Jordans!

I would complain about the hypocricy but getting people back to work and giving them something to do and care about outside of these violent riots is the right call.

I just hope this isn't another misguided policy like old age homes where she is sending lambs to the slaughter and these rioters are just going to start beating and robbing people on the streets.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
I would complain about the hypocricy but getting people back to work and giving them something to do and care about outside of these violent riots is the right call.

I just hope this isn't another misguided policy like old age homes where she is sending lambs to the slaughter and these rioters are just going to start beating and robbing people on the streets.
Michigan is an open-carry state. Don't worry, this isn't Minneapolis or NYC. MI made headlines a few weeks back protesting the lockdowns peacefully. If these protests continue getting violent it'll be obvious which constituency it is. Whitmer will have quite a fun situation on her hands as things reopen and riots break out.

The WHO just announced a new Ebola outbreak in Congo.

JFC. :messenger_pensive: :messenger_downcast_sweat:

Last edited:

Ornlu

Banned

Ebola isn't much of a world threat; it's just going to remain a threat for the region. It doesn't have a long enough incubation period and is too deadly too fast to make it very far undetected.

Uusis

Banned
I understand that you "need to drink and see friends" but maybe im just old and bitter but hopefully corona will wipe some of those away. Can't fucking understand this shit...

Ebola isn't much of a world threat; it's just going to remain a threat for the region. It doesn't have a long enough incubation period and is too deadly too fast to make it very far undetected.
I know that. It's still just sad. Congo was getting ready to say goodbye to their 10th Ebola outbreak... the 11th came.

Uusis

Banned
Well if you're hoping it's gonna kill a bunch of young people...not likely, hoss.

Not hoping, but here in Finland it only took hours to forget any advice from corona. Here where I live bars are still closed (big suprise to me). I can drink my alcohol at home and have fun with my friends playing games or even video chat. Maybe I'm old (turning 35 next Sunday) but I just don't understand why everybody has to go all the time and risk everything. Corona ain't done yet and people act like it is.

How old are you? Of the 27 employees at my work who got Covid19, the hardest hit was a 25-year-old, who three months after his illness is still feeling unwell at times.

I thought that when he returned to work (because he now has antibodies) he’d feel invincible - but it’s the opposite: he wears a mask at all times and gets nervous when people stand too close to him. He’s shell-shocked. It reminds me of that saying: the things we fear the most have already happened to us.

30 years old and used to exercise before the Lockdown happened. :(

I wear a mask as well but only because I don't know if there is a worse version out there. :(

pLow7

Didn't you know? Covid has decided to take a vacation...

Meh. His stupid retoric catch Phrase "Someone has to take responsibility for terrorizing the country." makes this feel more like a political statement.

Also:

Apparently every piece of data indicates that he's wrong

I mean i would be happy af if it's really true, but for now there is no scientific evidence.

Last edited:

Saruhashi

Banned
It is deeply disturbing to me that the media opinion on this seems to have swung in the opposite direction as soon as these protests started happening.

Go back a couple of weeks and people were going apeshit at the mere suggestion of countries "opening up" again.
You want to attend a mass gathering? What are you some kind of selfish prick? You just WANT people to die?

Today it seems we CAN attend mass gatherings and it's absolutely 100% fine because it's all for a good cause?

Look at the carry on in the UK.
People were going mental because Boris suggested the "herd immunity" approach.
So the government goes for lockdown but the numbers are still high and it's all because the lockdown wasn't fast enough and strict enough etc.

Last week this dude Cummings is getting absolutely blasted all over the press for breaking the lockdown rules.
A week later thousands of people are gathering in London because of a murder halfway across the world and it's reported just like it's a pretty normal thing.

It's like the outrage over people breaking lockdown rules or governments not implementing strict enough lockdown rules lasted exactly as long as it was a useful tool for the media. Now it's like the exact opposite is true. Having mass gatherings is actually fine so long as it's for a good cause.

Going to the barbers during lockdown. NOT OK.
Burning down the barbers during lockdown. OK.

Going to a garden party with 20 friends during lockdown. NOT OK.
Going to a protest with 1,000 strangers during lockdown. OK.

Visiting your grandparents for a BBQ by yourself? How dare you! They could die! You selfish prick!
You and your buddies BBQing the business owned someone else's grandparents? Sure, you're young and angry and they are insured so it's like taking the power back, you know.

There is something profoundly disturbing about how all of this is playing out.
How public opinion, and behavior, can shift so dramatically and so quickly.

VertigoOA

Banned
So with all the looting in NYC... I wonder if our local government will end those free paychecks we’ve been getting.

Get arrested for looting? Lose that government money. Seems fair to me. I mean... you were getting paid to stay in lockdown ...

I’ve changed my tune on all of this. Even while being at “ground zero” in NYC.

It’s ALL FUCKING BULLSHIT.

Stouffers

Banned
You’re describing “Classic Ebola.” Wait until you see “2020 Ebola.”

cryptoadam

Banned

Tell them to start protesting it ends virus and disease

cryptoadam

Banned
Want to see you mom or wife before they die of corona sorry no.

Want to have a funeral for them sorry no

Oh you want to go protest sure go ahead.

Its a fucking joke.

Send everyone back to work you arseholes. What are they gonna say now we cant work but protesting is safe.

I guess Trump was right again the virus just disapeared in the summer time.

I dont understand why anybody is surprised by the media shifting gears on this. We all know that they have the attention of a fly so why so many surprised reactions?

No, COVID has not gone away yet just because the media isnt covering it as much. It will be interesting to see if there is a spike in cases in 2-3 weeks or if the summer months really have tapped it down as far as everyone was hoping.

Fuck the media though. Someone said a while back something to the effect of "the purpose of TV is to keep people watching TV" and truer words were never said.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
this pisses me off so much. week so being told "people are being babies" because they wouldn't listen to their government tell them to stay home. now this shit. holy fuck. it's a constant "rules for thee but not for me" with these people.

they endlessly bashed Trump for "not believing it's real" and now these same idiots are out there en masse. only good side would be if all the rioters get Covid. it would be proving their own point right.

Its a fucking joke.
a friend at work had a family member die a few weeks ago and they were not allowed to go to the funeral because it had to be under 10 people. and now this shit. it's unreal...

cryptoadam

Banned
this pisses me off so much. week so being told "people are being babies" because they wouldn't listen to their government tell them to stay home. now this shit. holy fuck. it's a constant "rules for thee but not for me" with these people.

they endlessly bashed Trump for "not believing it's real" and now these same idiots are out there en masse. only good side would be if all the rioters get Covid. it would be proving their own point right.

a friend at work had a family member die a few weeks ago and they were not allowed to go to the funeral because it had to be under 10 people. and now this shit. it's unreal...

We need more storied like this on social media.

This is disgusting Bull shit. Its not even the media its politicians and all these world wide karens that were snitching on people.

Sao Paulo state, Brazil

6,999 cases and 327 deaths. Both a new record for the state.

ps: businesses throughout the state have started going back to (a very limited) operation yesterday.

I shat myself earlier.

I went to pay in the petrol station and forgot to put my mask on. I looked around when I was inside and realised I left it in the car.

I felt sick with shame, no joke. Caught on camera too so probably expecting a massive fine to come through the post sometime soon.

It was mindblowing how guilty I felt. I was all happy looking till I realised my fatal error. Remember, my country still does enforced masking.

cryptoadam

Banned
I shat myself earlier.

I went to pay in the petrol station and forgot to put my mask on. I looked around when I was inside and realised I left it in the car.

I felt sick with shame, no joke. Caught on camera too so probably expecting a massive fine to come through the post sometime soon.

It was mindblowing how guilty I felt. I was all happy looking till I realised my fatal error. Remember, my country still does enforced masking.

Did you steal the gaz though? looting cures corona

#Phonepunk#

Banned
made a grocery run earlier today. looks like more people are out and about then ever. im guessing Stay at Home orders are just being ignored on a mass basis at this point.

pretty funny how quickly it turned from "Stay at home you whining babies!" to "If you aren't on the streets in a giant crowd of people acting like a jackass then you are part of the problem" yet here we are.

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
I shat myself earlier.

500 grandpas are dead right now thanks to you.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

Its a fucking joke.

Send everyone back to work you arseholes. What are they gonna say now we cant work but protesting is safe.

I guess Trump was right again the virus just disapeared in the summer time.

It is fucking hilarious that suddenly protesting is the most important thing that anyone could be doing. It's even MORE ESSENTIAL than shopping for groceries to live. Certainly more important than going to work.

Skyfox

We'll know soon enough whether the virus is still a problem or not after these riots.

I don't buy the PS5 delay. Sony have been DRAGGING their feet on PS5 for years. I suspect that the video they now publish on the later date will be a bit more polished than what they would have aired this Thursday.

/cynic mode off

Pantz

At this point I'm thinking, let the people who don't want to stay home anymore go out and go to work and do all the stuff they want at their own risk and risk of their close contacts. Let the people who are cool with staying home for a while keep doing it and keep getting support from the government for a while.

Probably a dumb idea, just thinking about it. (in USA)

dionysus

Yaldog
At this point I'm thinking, let the people who don't want to stay home anymore go out and go to work and do all the stuff they want at their own risk and risk of their close contacts. Let the people who are cool with staying home for a while keep doing it and keep getting support from the government for a while.

Probably a dumb idea, just thinking about it. (in USA)

This is called freedom and we used to do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom