• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Corporate expects me to dress up for Cinco de Mayo party.....what do i do?

norm9

If you already have a soccer jersey, luchador mask, or sombrero from a recent trip to mexico, then wear that. But I wouldn't go out of my way to pick something up to wear.

Kelsdesu

What would be hilarious (and quite unfortunate) is if you showed up with the bare minimum if nothing and someone still gets offended by you.

Dress up as the Dos Equis World's Most Interesting Man

This might actually be the best idea if you like Dos Equis. Just keep a beer in hand and done. It toes the line without being offensive. I might skip out on the lucha mask just because it's gonna get warm under there.

Dressing up as a stereotype is too far. You don't need to put on a sombrero on to celebrate Mexican heritage. Just bring in some tacos.

LOL.. but that wasn't the question. Is that 'racist' or something else? I assume a stereotype can be explicitly racist, but also.. not be? Would dressing "stereo-typically French" with a beret and neck scarf or whatever be racist? I don't think so, being French isn't a race (or dressing Russian with vodka and wearing an ushanka).

I'd say both of those would be cultural appropriation though, right?

There are a thousand things you can wear and just because they are designed, sold, and worn across the border it does not mean you are racist or appropriating anything. I was just in Mexico and I bought my little daughter an awesome Mexican dress and one of those cute little Mexican dolls. Its why they sell them.

LOL.. but that wasn't the question. Is that 'racist' or something else? I assume a stereotype can be explicitly racist, but also.. not be? Would dressing "stereo-typically French" with a beret and neck scarf or whatever be racist? I don't think so, being French isn't a race (or dressing Russian with vodka and wearing an ushanka).

I'd say both of those would be cultural appropriation though, right?

In my mind its a distinction between copying a stereotype on purpose for something like a laugh or a party vs genuinely liking the clothing and wearing it out on the street like normal. I wear a German soccer jersey occasionally, its not because I'm trying to look German.

ThisGuy

Go as Noel Gugliemi as Hector.

axjD04K_700b.jpg

PSqueak

Banned
There are a thousand things you can wear and just because they are designed, sold, and worn across the border it does not mean you are racist or appropriating anything. I was just in Mexico and I bought my little daughter an awesome Mexican dress and one of those cute little Mexican dolls. Its why they sell them.

Yeah, there is a difference between wearing a poncho and a sombrero you bought here as souvenirs and wearing that thing with the fake donkey posted earlier.

In my mind its a distinction between copying a stereotype on purpose for something like a laugh or a party vs genuinely liking the clothing and wearing it out on the street like normal. I wear a German soccer jersey occasionally, its not because I'm trying to look German.

the bolded makes you sound like a bandwagon jumper.

Hey! Let me fan the World Champs!

PSqueak

Banned

Think about the context this is being suggested on:

-OP has to wear a "costume"
-OP doesn't want to go as a racist caricature, but also wants to go on something he can call is a get up celebrating mexican culture due to business oportunities.
-Football is a pretty big part of Mexican culture and Latino culture in general
-A Mexican national team jersey is an inoffensive getup OP can wear that he can claim it's an outfit to celebrate mexican culture.

I mean, who could ever have a problem with this plan, other than voting for the clearly superior "suit and a luchador mask" suggestion?

I am a mexican, i sleep wearing a Mexican National Team Jersey, it's a legit suggestion.

Mexican here. I don't really mind, do what you want but do it with class. My family and I personally don't really mind or care when it comes to costumes and such. But I don't speak for everyone

woodchuck

The whole thing is fucking awful.

But you gotta do what you gotta do to keep your business afloat.

The Mexican Soccer jersey is the best idea and easiest.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
Wear a luchador mask, that'd be fun.

I am latin, and this shit doesn't offend me at all. Am I supposed to be embarrassed because someone "appropriates" my culture by wearing a sombrero and a poncho? Come on! I am proud of my heritage, and if other people want to wear traditional clothes, then go for it. It keeps my heritage relevant.

the bolded makes you sound like a bandwagon jumper.

Hey! Let me fan the World Champs!

It's a Michael Ballack jersey so not quite :p

Think about the context this is being suggested on:

-OP has to wear a "costume"
-OP doesn't want to go as a racist caricature, but also wants to go on something he can call is a get up celebrating mexican culture due to business oportunities.
-Football is a pretty big part of Mexican culture and Latino culture in general
-A Mexican national team jersey is an inoffensive getup OP can wear that he can claim it's an outfit to celebrate mexican culture.

I mean, who could ever have a problem with this plan, other than voting for the clearly superior "suit and a luchador mask" suggestion?

I am a mexican, i sleep wearing a Mexican National Team Jersey, it's a legit suggestion.

I don't have any issue with someone wearing a Gio Dos Santos jersey or something, I agree its not offensive at all. However, the structure of this corporate party is racist in general. Good on OP for trying to rise above because I doubt many of this co-workers are doing the same.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Wear a Mexican soccer jersey. You should be able to find one fairly easily in Dallas. Or you could just put in a rush order on Amazon. Maybe get the shorts too so they can't complain you only wore half a costume.

Lulubop

Wear a luchador mask, that'd be fun.

I am latin, and this shit doesn't offend me at all. Am I supposed to be embarrassed because someone "appropriates" my culture by wearing a sombrero and a poncho? Come on! I am proud of my heritage, and if other people want to wear traditional clothes, then go for it. It keeps my heritage relevant.

No, it reduces ouur culture to a stereotypical caricature.

Mock my culture, as long as it keeps relevant? Don't forget we're just walking stereotypes? It's disrespectful.

Gero

My family don't care about that... They will just say y'all look stupid. But I suggest going with the Texan look, a lot of Hispanics here in the Dallas suburbs go with that look.

Throw on a Sombero and call it a day. I know you don't want to do it, but you're not exactly going to hell for it either. Make the bosses happy and make your money.

Don't let people live through you on here by taking a stand or anything. They don't work your job and they didn't bust their ass to get where you are today.

you don't need the poncho

Yes. This is literally like the plot to a sitcom. If you just show up in normal work attire literally no one is going to say anything.

Yeah I find it hard to believe that OPs job is actually on the line here. There will be other people who don't dress up, just as there has been at literally every other fancy dress party since time began.

Dehnus

Just go and don't care. If you have to, get a small cottonball, and tape it to your backside "I'm a bunny".

There done.

Baliis

Reminds me of that guy on Reddit whos company did a period themed party at an old plantation. He was the only black guy in the office and went dressed as a slave. Party got canceled real fast.

Get a Mexican jersey

that's it

I do it all the time, I don't even like soccer, so yeah, pretty common

(i'm Mexican, the jersey was a gift, nice green color)

Top Bottom