• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Corporate expects me to dress up for Cinco de Mayo party.....what do i do?

a879f4f2574df876241388e4ae8b95d0.jpg

Only way to roll, while also being a badass.

TraBuch

Banned
Odd, I never have to do uncomfortable racist stuff.

Going to a racist ass party is seemingly normal for some folks. Probably part of the problems we face in America. Hmm.
Morals are great. But if you're putting your money and potentially the livelihood of the very people you're in charge of at risk, I'm never gonna tell somebody to make a statement.

If this was a friendly party with some dudes you know? Sure. Fuck em, make them look stupid. But in this situation? Why risk it?

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management
Are they going to have horchata on tap at this thing? If so then all principles are flexible imo.

conpfreak

Please don't do this. My white coworker last year decided he wanted to plan a Cinco de Mayo outing for the office. He then proceeds to ask my coworker that's from Puerto Rico for ideas to celebrate the holiday (?). When the plans fell through on the day of Cinco de Mayo, he literally just resorted to organizing a lunch trip to Chipotle. How ignorant is that?

Viewt

Sometimes in life you have to do shit you're uncomfortable with. If the alternative is putting your business at risk or having to lay off employees, it seems like a pretty easy decision to me. Don't go dressed with face paint or some shit, just wear a sombrero or something.

I understand the whole "don't wanna rock the boat" attitude, but I draw the line at punching down. Shit like this contributes to seeing Mexicans, and in a broader sense all Latinos, as inhuman caricatures. It reinforces dumb stereotypes and, worst of all, it turns racism into something fun for white people. It's damaging to society, period.

Odd, I never have to do uncomfortable racist stuff.

Going to a racist ass party is seemingly normal for some folks. Probably part of the problems we face in America. Hmm.

Some people straight up don't seen racism if it's presented in a "fun" way. Same reason you see plenty of dumbasses at Cochella with headdresses. They don't think it's a problem if no one is getting their face kicked in. What they don't realize is that it's the "fun racism" that makes people comfortable enough to call someone a spic and beat them up in the first place.

EDIT: Oh, and OP, it seems like you're on the right side of this, so I'm not lobbing any of these insults your way. I appreciate you not wanting to play into this BS.

Take a cardboardbox, paint it like a taco cart, then strap it to your shoulders and sit in the corner. Then post pictures here. We'll be nice.

No we wont.

Do the people at your work put accents on the 'n''s of lemonade drinks?

TraBuch

Banned
Please don't do this. My white coworker last year decided he wanted to plan a Cinco de Mayo outing for the office. He then proceeds to ask my coworker that's from Puerto Rico for ideas to celebrate the holiday (?). When the plans fell through on the day of Cinco de Mayo, he literally just resorted to organizing a lunch trip to Chipotle. How ignorant is that?
That's a totally different situation though. Your white coworker doesn't decide if you and your coworkers keep your job or not.

I understand the whole "don't wanna rock the boat" attitude, but I draw the line at punching down. Shit like this contributes to seeing Mexicans, and in a broader sense all Latinos, as inhuman caricatures. It reinforces dumb stereotypes and, worst of all, it turns racism into something fun for white people. It's damaging to society, period.
Will you pay his employees if he gets passed over and is forced to lay some people off?

You're not overthinking this. I run my own business as well and some clients were far belligerent to deal with, but then you see the network connections you can make. Question is, is it worth your morality to participate in these events which are definitely filled to the brim with racism.

I say don't do it, you might lose some potential contracts and clients but if you won't feel comfortable doing it, don't force yourself to. If you really feel like you should take some part, go as far as wearing a Mexican flag lapel pin out of respect.

I think the luchador mask and suit is by far the best, not only is it funny but you also don't have to worry about anyone recognizing you from photos.

Also, just my own personal opinion as a Mexican, I'm not offended by any of this stuff at all. I don't care about people playing dress up at a business party and celebrating Mexican "culture", even if those ideas about the culture are stereotypical. As long as you're not hating and berating we're all cool.

Have fun at your party, hope your business for the year is smashingly successful.

Ryuuroden

I want to see your Paddy's day costume!

I dressed as a civil war union cavalry soldier as one of my ancestors immigrated from Ireland right before the American Civil War and promptly joined the union side to fight to end slavery when the war broke out.

EDIT: was very edgy outfit in Texas.

nasax

Latino here, I've granted you the permission to dress up as Speedy Gonzales. Print this post as proof. You're welcome.

Viewt

That's a totally different situation though. Your white coworker doesn't decide if you and your coworkers keep your job or not.

Will you pay his employees if he gets passed over and is forced to lay some people off?

Nope, it's shitty, but ultimately not my fault if contributing to racism is a prerequisite to doing business. It is, however, my problem if ignorant parties like this continue to take place, because as I outlined above, it negatively impacts society, and in particular, contributes to the oppression of a minority.

EDIT: That being said, luchador mask/suit combos are dope.

Lulubop

Some people straight up don't seen racism if it's presented in a "fun" way. Same reason you see plenty of dumbasses at Cochella with headdresses. They don't think it's a problem if no one is getting their face kicked in. What they don't realize is that it's the "fun racism" that makes people comfortable enough to call someone a spic and beat them up in the first place.

Well said, smh at people giving this a pass.

Bry0

If you don't want to feel stupid you could wear a Chivas jersey or flag colors.
Avoid the caricatures.

Ryuuroden

I think the luchador mask and suit is by far the best, not only is it funny but you also don't have to worry about anyone recognizing you from photos.

Also, just my own personal opinion as a Mexican, I'm not offended by any of this stuff at all. I don't care about people playing dress up at a business party and celebrating Mexican "culture", even if those ideas about the culture are stereotypical. As long as you're not hating and berating we're all cool.

Have fun at your party, hope your business for the year is smashingly successful.

See, when I was younger I worked in landscaping in the summertime and I worked with a lot of Mexican immigrants and they were the nicest hardest working most honest people I have EVER worked with in my entire working career. They took a lot of unfair job abuse without complain when hell should of been raised. HELL, ALL my interactions with immigrants have been far far better than with native born Americans that I prefer to associate with the immigrant community than associate outside it. The business contacts I make with 1st and 2nd generation immigrants are more sincere and honest and you can expect them to hold up their side of the bargain whether is working for you or with you in partnership than you can from any side of the wall, corporate stooge or family inheritance stooge. I will say this also goes for anyone who truly starts something from the ground up rather than getting it handed to them.

This is also why in no way do i want to mock or ridicule any culture or community that I am not native to. So it was a serious question and I do appreciate a lot of the answers here that are legitimate good suggestions. I think this stuff should offend you as I don't think that when people do this sort of thing they are being very respectful to your culture regardless of whether they mean it in good fun or just nastyness.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Soccer jersey or the Most Interesting Man in the World sound like good ideas.

This isn't themed, but you could dress up as a stock photo.

Actually, being un-themed might be good in general to avoid all the racist caricature shit.

Fhtagn

I think a suit and luchador mask is best! Plus it gives you license to put some of these assholes in a headlock.

Ha! Yes, if you feel you must be involved in this for the sake of your business, this seems like the best way to go. Recognizable Mexican even to morons, without being an offensive stereotype.

Gonna be a super gross party though. If you can skip it, do so.

Top Bottom