• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Corporate expects me to dress up for Cinco de Mayo party.....what do i do?

NandoGip

Moneys on the line man, being a contractor these days aint easy. Just do it and then donate some of the money you earn from them to a charity helping immigrants.

Surreptitiously take a bunch of pictures, leak them to media or on social media, and I guarantee you won't have to go again.

Faddy

Banned
Can you pull this off

jp9M1IY.png

smoothj

The suit and tie luchador mask is money. The only issue is if they allow masks. My work encourages people to dress up as well but no masks. I work in hospitality so it makes more sense here.

Go as a dead frenchman. Tell people thats what happens when people attack and marginalize Mexicans and then give them a very intense look

Iorv3th

Go in a suit and tie and if anyone asks just say people in Latin countries dress like that.

If that's not offensive enough tell them your dressed up as a drug lord like scarface (even though he was cuban they probably wont know the difference).

I'm curious what company this is.

commedieu

Banned
Morals are great. But if you're putting your money and potentially the livelihood of the very people you're in charge of at risk, I'm never gonna tell somebody to make a statement.

If this was a friendly party with some dudes you know? Sure. Fuck em, make them look stupid. But in this situation? Why risk it?

Thats a sidestep. This whole event is not normal. Just following orders due to mama frolein and baby werner back home... I exaggerate. But we are from different sides of the world. It's repugnant and offensive.

But to you, well it's just something one does to get sales. That's not normal for most.. And it's definitely part of the cultural issues we have in the United States. It's this subtle action that adds to an atmosphere. I fully understand its acceptable to some people. I'm fortunate that I don't have to go to racists parties for my check.

I also would dress up like a leprechaun for st.Patricks...

Poppy

go full aztec

actually is it considered offensive in mexico to dress in nahuatl ways like it is offensive to appropriate native culture in the usa?

Iksenpets

Banned
Obvious answer is to take lots of pics, leak the racist corporate party to local press, cause a scandal, and then at least have the thing called off for future years.

In the meantime, Mexico soccer kit is probably your best bet to to be on-theme but not racist.

The Mexicans saying this is fine don't have to face the consequences of facing discrimination in our workforce. And this just doesn't just affect Mexican-Americans here but other Hispanics b/c they are "Mexicans"
Go as someone respectable and like how a previous poster suggested wear a Mexican Flag Pin or a Mexican Jersey. Good Luck bro

One thing that can be fun to do with stuff like that this is to jokingly intentionally misinterpret the theme and dress up as a lame pun of the theme. So, in this case, dress up as a bottle of mayonnaise

213372bu

Banned
The Mexicans saying this is fine don't have to face the consequences of facing discrimination in our workforce. And this just doesn't just affect Mexican-Americans here but other Hispanics b/c they are "Mexicans"
Go as someone respectable and like how a previous poster suggested wear a Mexican Flag Pin or a Mexican Jersey. Good Luck bro
Source?

whytemyke

Honorary Canadian.
Dress like Antonio Banderas in Desperado.

And then just tell people how awesome that movie is. Because it is awesome.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
There's a pretty decent match with Blue Demon Jr. wrestling completely suited and booted in Lucha Underground.

Go in a suit and tie and if anyone asks just say people in Latin countries dress like that.

Done. Spot on. Why are suggestions even still coming in?

...But yeah, this sounds awful and you can probably use some candid pictures from this years party to make sure it never happens again if you really wanted to...

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
why not look up the uniforms of the two armies that battled during Cinco de mayo and use that instead? I feel that would be much less racist and actually more historically accurate.

Honest question, because I don't know.

Is it "racist" to dress "Mexican" (or French or English or whatever) when those are not races? Is there a better word? I guess cultural appropriation? I always (even in this thread) see it referred to as racism/racists, and for some reason that just feels wrong.

I mean I can see why people make the connection, it's easy to see someone wearing a sombrero and poncho (in a joking manner) and recognize they're lampooning Latin American culture, but is that different from a countries culture?

Like, if someone in Azerbaijan (wow I spelled that right on the first try, go self) wanted to have a party where everyone dressed "American", would that be racist? Cultural appropriation? I don't even know what "American" would look like other than Hollywood-esque I suppose, but it could be a lot of things. If someone came dressed "Gangsta" would that be worse than someone dressed as a Cowboy, or Popstar?

I guess I just don't know when and where the line between a race/culture splits from a nation/country. Some countries have a lot less diversity than others, so that maybe there is no line sometimes?

Report it to the local news anonymously, that shit will get canceled real quick.

Honest question, because I don't know.

Is it "racist" to dress "Mexican" (or French or English or whatever) when those are not races? Is there a better word? I guess cultural appropriation? I always (even in this thread) see it referred to as racism/racists, and for some reason that just feels wrong.

I mean I can see why people make the connection, it's easy to see someone wearing a sombrero and poncho (in a joking manner) and recognize they're lampooning Latin American culture, but is that different from a countries culture?

Like, if someone in Azerbaijan (wow I spelled that right on the first try, go self) wanted to have a party where everyone dressed "American", would that be racist? Cultural appropriation? I don't even know what "American" would look like other than Hollywood-esque I suppose, but it could be a lot of things. If someone came dressed "Gangsta" would that be worse than someone dressed as a Cowboy, or Popstar?

I guess I just don't know when and where the line between a race/culture splits from a nation/country. Some countries have a lot less diversity than others, so that maybe there is no line sometimes?

Dressing up as a stereotype is too far. You don't need to put on a sombrero on to celebrate Mexican heritage. Just bring in some tacos.

Latino here.

Dressing with sombrero and poncho is always fun and it's great to be present on the mind of people. Do it and have fun but always respectful.

Top Bottom