• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Costa Rica is #1 happiest country in the world, but who cares... DR is #2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bulla564

Banned
Dominican Republic that is... and according to New Economics Foundation that is...

In reality it's a survey for 3 things: Life Satisfaction, Life Expectancy, and Ecological footprint. Here's the guardian article:

Costa Rica is world's greenest, happiest country
Latin American nation tops index ranking countries by ecological footprint and happiness of their citizens

Ashley Seager
guardian.co.uk, Saturday 4 July 2009 05.00 BST

Costa Rica is the greenest and happiest country in the world, according to a new list that ranks nations by combining measures of their ecological footprint with the happiness of their citizens.

Britain is only halfway up the Happy Planet Index (HPI), calculated by the New Economics Foundation (NEF), in 74th place of 143 nations surveyed. The United States features in the 114th slot in the table. The top 10 is dominated by countries from Latin America, while African countries bulk out the bottom of the table.

The HPI measures how much of the Earth's resources nations use and how long and happy a life their citizens enjoy as a result. First calculated in 2006, the second edition adds data on almost all the world's countries and now covers 99% of the world's population.

NEF says the HPI is a much better way of looking the success of countries than through standard measures of economic growth. The HPI shows, for example, that fast-growing economies such as the US, China and India were all greener and happier 20 years ago than they are today.

"The HPI suggests that the path we have been following is, without exception, unable to deliver all three goals: high life satisfaction, high life expectancy and 'one-planet living'," says Saamah Abdallah, NEF researcher and the report's lead author. "Instead we need a new development model that delivers good lives that don't cost the Earth for all."

Costa Ricans top the list because they report the highest life satisfaction in the world, they live slightly longer than Americans, yet have an ecological footprint that is less than a quarter the size. The country only narrowly fails to achieve the goal of what NEF calls "one-planet living": consuming its fair share of the Earth's natural resources.

The report says the differences between nations show that it is possible to live long, happy lives with much smaller ecological footprints than the highest-consuming nations.

The new HPI also provides the first ever analysis of trends over time for what are supposedly the world's most developed nations, the Organisation for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD).

OECD nations' HPI scores plummeted between 1960 and the late 1970s. Although there have been some gains since then, HPI scores were still higher in 1961 than in 2005.

Life satisfaction and life expectancy combined have increased 15% over the 45-year period for those living in the rich nations, but it has come at the cost of a 72% rise in their ecological footprint. And the three largest countries in the world – China, India and the US, which are aggressively pursuing growth-based development models – have all seen their HPI scores drop in that time.

The highest placed western nation is the Netherlands. People there live on average over a year longer than people in the US, and have similar levels of life satisfaction – yet their per capita ecological footprint is less than half the size. The Netherlands is therefore over twice as environmentally efficient at achieving good lives as the US, Nef says.

The report sets out a "Happy Planet Charter" calling for an unprecedented collective global effort to develop a "new narrative" of human progress, encourage good lives that don't cost the earth, and to reduce consumption in the highest-consuming nations – which it says is the biggest barrier to sustainable wellbeing.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2009/jul/04/costa-rica-happy-planet-index

Here is the world map

http://www.happyplanetindex.org/explore/global/index.html

Of course, Dominican Republic, my country, is up there. Merengue, funny people, Sammy Sosa, we got it all.

Sounds like an accurate index to me...

social networks in many western rich countries are down the tubes

individualism me myself and I has really put a strain on secularization with good people

gdt

Cause Dominicans don't give a fuck about anything.

Except maybe baseball.

I'm Dominican BTW.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Note that the range of happiest countries is almost directly related to the availability of reefer.

sphinx

the piano man
gdt5016 said:
Cause Dominicans don't give a fuck about anything.

Except maybe baseball.

I'm Dominican BTW.

Exactly, I am a latinamerican and can tell you, people here are very happy and laugh all day cause they just "live". Nobody here is dreaming of having an Olympic medal or being a succesful performer on any of the arts. It's just go to work ( and suck at it, mostly ), be with family and watch the telenovela, men drink beer and watch football as well. That's it, what reason is there to suffer? None.

This is bullshit. Give me the same results without the ecological crap and see who comes off better…

Seriously, who gives a shit about their ecological footprint? Some of us don't buy into the 'humans are causing global warming' bullshit so I'm perfectly happy driving my gasoline-powered vehicle through a thriving metropolitan city.

Kabouter

The highest placed western nation is the Netherlands. People there live on average over a year longer than people in the US, and have similar levels of life satisfaction – yet their per capita ecological footprint is less than half the size. The Netherlands is therefore over twice as environmentally efficient at achieving good lives as the US, Nef says.
Nice. We apparently rule despite having the worst air quality in Europe.

Freestyler said:
Seriously, who gives a shit about their ecological footprint? Some of us don't buy into the 'humans are causing global warming' bullshit so I'm perfectly happy driving my gasoline-powered vehicle through a thriving metropolitan city.
And I hate people who do that. I don't give a crap about you believing in global warming caused by man, but uh, on a hot summer day with no wind, walking through my congested city is hell.

xbhaskarx said:
Don't those countries (eg Sweden) have very high suicide rates?
Fairly high, certainly not extreme though:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_suicide_rate

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
I am also originally Dominican but was raised/have lived in NYC since I was a 1 y/o and still live here (love it too) and dude let me tell ya.. People over there (DR) ENJOY LIFE for NO reason at all :lol

It's a great thing man, we are a "happy people" ;p

oh and yes BASEBALL is in our blood (no roid jokes srs plz) go AROD! :lol :lol

Vox-Pop

Contains Sucralose
Freestyler said:
This is bullshit. Give me the same results without the ecological crap and see who comes off better…

Wat!

Ecological footprint?

What a crock of shit. Since when did this coined phrase have anything to do with the life expectancy of the populace, or the economics of the country.

Although, I'd expect nothing less from The Guardian.

Zaptruder

Banned
Freestyler said:

Sound like some chappy is unhappy about been a wasteful bastard and has to make up for it by stating forcefully otherwise.

Seriously though, the irony here is that people in a thriving New York style metropolis actually have a smaller ecological footprint than most americans, thanks to public transport and denser living; smaller apartments, less space to fill.

Yeh using ecological footprint to measure happiness of a population is a bit retarded :lol As if anyone gives a shit consciously about the countries greenness, and factors that into their happiness of life. Im from Australia btw, we scored like 7.9 for happiness. Woo.

Zaptruder said:
Sound like some chappy is unhappy about been a wasteful bastard and has to make up for it by stating forcefully otherwise.

Baby boy, I'm actually a fairly happy chap. I'm not wasteful - I recycle when I can, I don't drive a Dodge Ram (as much as I'd love to) and I buy free range products wherever possible (haha as if that's even the same thing…).

I just think it's bullshit to consider 'ecological footprint' (my most hated buzzword of the 00's so far) as a major factor in evaluating someone's happiness.

What's next, Iraqi acid-bomb victims happier than Lottery-winning Australian newlyweds because their country follows the Kyoto Protocol more stringently?

I just booked my honeymoon for Costa Rica in September. It's a little too resortey for my taste, but I figured a "make it yourself" adventure vacation would be too much for the wife after all the hectic wedding planning she's doing.

Still, we'll have a car down there so hopefully we can go do at least something more unique.

Freestyler said:
Some of us don't buy into the 'cigarettes are causing cancer' bullshit so I'm perfectly happy smoking my cigarettes in a crowded, windowless room with children breathing in that lusty second hand smoke.

Gotcha.

Sup domincan Gaf, my neighborhood is like 90% dominican. Let's play some dominoes and get a haircut at 2:00 AM.

Haven't had Mangu yet, though the deli across the street makes it. What's the best way to have it, with a fried egg on top?

Tim the Wiz said:

I don't believe there are any scientists not on the America Tobacco payroll who, in this day and age, maintain that smoking is not extremely detrimental to your health.

There are however plenty of scientists who maintain (as do I) that humans have very little impact on the warming or cooling of our atmosphere. Who was responsible for the ice age? What about the increase in heat after the ice age? I wasn't aware there were Hummers back then.

I also disagree with the notion that ecological footprint should factor into one's happiness, but I think that the point of this study is that it's a measure of the ability to be happy versus consumption of resources, not that consumption of resources affects happiness.

The rankings, it seems, are a matter of the ability to achieve whatever level of happiness against the environmental output of that country; Costa Ricans, apparently, get the best "bang for their buck" if a buck is ecological footprint. If this is wrong, please correct me and call me stupid, but that's how I interpret it.

Miguel

3.7.2009 Costa Rica - El Salvador 1:2 (0:1) Carson, California USA

el_salvador.gif

Where's your happy now?!

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
electricpirate said:
Sup domincan Gaf, my neighborhood is like 90% dominican. Let's play some dominoes and get a haircut at 2:00 AM.

Haven't had Mangu yet, though the deli across the street makes it. What's the best way to have it, with a fried egg on top?

fried egg w some lime squeezed on the egg or soft white cheese unfried (tropicana brand) or fried white cheese (queso de freir) or american cheese slices thrown on top of it after you make a pudding of it, you can ask them to make the mangu with some country crock/butter mixed or with cooking oil from fried onions for different options on taste of the mangu

fried salami also works for it as a side ^

Just make some yourself it's easy and inexpensive, get some green plantains and fill a pot with water, throw some salt in it and let them boil til you see they are done (when they are semi pale green color) and just mash it into pudding, you can also make it with the same boiled water that you cooked them in, just drop enough (4oz) into the plate you are making the mangu in and add the side when you are done.

So simple to do yet so damned good.

Feep

Banned
sphinx said:
Exactly, I am a latinamerican and can tell you, people here are very happy and laugh all day cause they just "live". Nobody here is dreaming of having an Olympic medal or being a succesful performer on any of the arts. It's just go to work ( and suck at it, mostly ), be with family and watch the telenovela, men drink beer and watch football as well. That's it, what reason is there to suffer? None.
I don't view this kind of lifestyle as lazy or pathetic; if that's what they want, fine. But I know that I would never feel satisfied, that I would look back with regret and sadness, if I couldn't achieve something greater in my life. And I don't mean get promoted in some faceless corporation, I mean I want to create things, write a book, act in a movie, make a video game, whatever.

I may suffer, but highs and lows and all that, you know. Sitting around watching telenovelas is a droll existence.

K' Dash

Miguel said:
3.7.2009 Costa Rica - El Salvador 1:2 (0:1) Carson, California USA

el_salvador.gif

Where's your happy now?!

Somos primeros en la hexagonal final para clasificar al mundial.

Don't care about the Gold Cup, we're playing this to adjust the team for the important games against Honduras and Mexico.

sphinx said:

This got to be the stupidiest shit I've ever read, you don't talk for me, nor for any of my fellow Ticos, I'm a very sucessful person, and I'm not lazy at my work and certainly do NOT suck at it.

Miguel

K' Dash said:
Somos primeros en la hexagonal final para clasificar al mundial.

Don't care about the Gold Cup, we're playing this to adjust the team for the important games against Honduras and Mexico.

You shut your whore mouth and let me enjoy my victory dammit!

This doesn't evaluate happiness, this evaluates happiness per unit of enviromental impact.

So if I was the happiest person in the world, but I had a gigantic ecological footprint, it would be possible for the saddest person in the world to be ranked higher than me if he had a miniscule near non existant footprint.

I feel like "greenies" are trying to tie together greenness and happiness, but it feels intellectually dishonest. Oh well.

Mindlog

Weird.

I just randomly fell into a bag of mamones(cillos)/quenepas/limoncillos and they made me happy. Ah the days of buying them in a brown paper bag for $1 off a street vendor :(

They're the key I think.

K' Dash

viciouskillersquirrel said:
Fun fact: Costa Rican women are also the most beautiful in Central America.

Australia at No. 3? Awesome.

Men, this is SOOOOO fucking TRUE.

clemenx said:
See what having no army does? Everyone should follow Costa Rica's steps

Armys are a waste of money, every country in the world should invest those millions in EDUCATION and SOCIAL SECURITY.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom