• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Costa Rica is #1 happiest country in the world, but who cares... DR is #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm also Dominican, born and raised in NY. It's amazing how many problems we have in DR, and its like it doesn't even phase us. From the government to the poverty, at the end of the day, we don't give a fuck. Best country in the world.

pel1300

Costa Rica does have the best women in Central America.

But just look at the competition: Nicaragua, Panama, Guatemala, etc.

Most countries in South America blow away all of Central America in terms of beautiful women.

LJ11

Battersea Power Station said:
I just booked my honeymoon for Costa Rica in September. It's a little too resortey for my taste, but I figured a "make it yourself" adventure vacation would be too much for the wife after all the hectic wedding planning she's doing.

Still, we'll have a car down there so hopefully we can go do at least something more unique.

You're going to have a blast, was down there a few weeks ago. I went in thinking the same thing, and was blown away by the end of it. Tons of stuff to do, beautiful scenery, it's really an amazing place. Probably the best vacation I've taken to date.

K' Dash

pel1300 said:
Costa Rica does have the best women in Central America.

But just look at the competition: Nicaragua, Panama, Guatemala, etc.

Most countries in South America blow away all of Central America in terms of beautiful women.

I could turn this in to boner thread posting pictures of costa rican models, it's true that colombia, venezuela, brasil and argentina have some of the most beautiful woman in the whole world, but costa rica does not fall behind amigo.

LJ11 said:
You're going to have a blast, was down there a few weeks ago. I went in thinking the same thing, and was blown away by the end of it. Tons of stuff to do, beautiful scenery, it's really an amazing place. Probably the best vacation I've taken to date.
Oh, no, I didn't mean the country itself is "too resorty" -- just the itinerary that I booked. Where did you stay? Any tips and/or interesting local things to check out?

We're staying 3 or 4 days near the volcano (Arenal) and 3 or 4 days at Flamingo Beach. But, like I said, I'll have a car and am looking to spend at least 1 day away from other vacationers.

Hey now, I wasn't talking models here. I was talking "on average". You know, girls on the street.

In terms of Central America, I'd rank them Costa Rica > Mexico > Honduras > El Salvador > Belize > Panama > Nicaragua > Guatemala.

South America is Venezuela > Brazil > Colombia > Argentina > Chile > Uruguay > Ecuador > Peru > Bolivia > Paraguay > Las Guianas.

Anyway, I've noticed that the list has a high correlation with how wealthy each country is. It's easier to look good when not living in abject poverty.

lol, DR is ultra-happy...but Haiti is near the bottom, despite being on the other side of the island :lol

Dominican-age, will you let me have some of your platanos and happiness? I'm Haitian; I'm from the other side of the island!

captmcblack said:
lol, DR is ultra-happy...but Haiti is near the bottom, despite being on the other side of the island :lol

Dominican-age, will you let me have some of your platanos and happiness? I'm Haitian; I'm from the other side of the island!

:( now you just made me remember all the poor Haitian immigrants that I would see when i was a kid....

Funny story. Once, in El Salvador, I noticed a totally hot chick crossing the road in the capital, San Salvador. She was totally workin' it, and basically had Mariah Carey's body and a face that reminded me of a cross between Selma Hayek and Valeria Golino. She was looking goooooood. Anyway, she was crossing the street and halfway across, stops and hocks up the biggest loogie I have ever seen come out of a woman. It was not a turn on.

LJ11

Battersea Power Station said:
Oh, no, I didn't mean the country itself is "too resorty" -- just the itinerary that I booked. Where did you stay? Any tips and/or interesting local things to check out?

We're staying 3 or 4 days near the volcano (Arenal) and 3 or 4 days at Flamingo Beach. But, like I said, I'll have a car and am looking to spend at least 1 day away from other vacationers.

We stayed further south, around Manuel Antonio and Jaco Beach, it's probably not worth going down there for a day, it's probably a 4 hour drive from where you're staying. We went zip-lining, rafting, surfing (Jaco area is known for it), a couple of rain forests (the one at Manuel Antonio had a great beach, lizards running on the sand, monkeys swinging from tree to tree, all while you swam).

Took a trip to Tortuga island, also went fishing on the way there (we rented a ~25' boat for around $600), caught a ~6-7 foot sail fish which we released. The island was a bit overrated, but the fishing experience (everything we caught was cleaned and cooked on the beach), and the big storm that smacked us into us during our return was quite an experience.

We also went on a 3 hour ATV tour by Jaco, they took us through some incredibly rough terrain, really narrow passings, one mistake and you were off the side of a mountain. The views were incredible, really a site to see.

The only negative, which isn't really a negative, is that the sun is down by 6pm, so plan everything with that in mind (one of the Parks we visited closed at 4pm for example). Whatever you do, I'm sure you'll have fun.

bluemax

Banned
Tim the Wiz said:

As much as it sucks to know this, there is no real research that proves that second hand smoke causes cancer.

First hand smoke maybe, but no one has ever conclusively proven that second hand smoke causes cancer.

gdt

The comments I and others (Dominicans I think) made about the usual Dominican don't mean they are lazy or good-for-nothing. Just that they don't really live a competitive life. It's about family, relaxing, and being a good neighbor. I love summers in DR. My grandma's house/neighborhood/town rocks.

Mashing

My brother would agree. He married a Costa Rican chick a while back. Now he's trying to get her into the US. If he could find a job down there, I'd tell him to just move down there instead.

gdt

Oh and mangu is best with onions, white cheese, eggs (with yolk still), and salami. The whole shebang.

deadbeef

what kind of BS news story and BS study is this? HPI? How happy they are as a result of using less resources? LOL

skybaby

Code:
1.	Costa Rica					
2.	Dominican Republic					
3.	Jamaica					
4.	Guatemala					
5.	Vietnam					
6.	Colombia					
7.	Cuba					
8.	El Salvador					
9.	Brazil					
10.	Honduras					
11.	Nicaragua					
12.	Egypt					
13.	Saudi Arabia					
14.	Philippines					
15.	Argentina					
16.	Indonesia					
17.	Bhutan					
18.	Panama					
19.	Laos					
20.	China					
21.	Morocco					
22.	Sri Lanka					
23.	Mexico					
24.	Pakistan					
25.	Ecuador					
26.	Jordan					
27.	Belize					
28.	Peru					
29.	Tunisia					
30.	Trinidad and Tobago					
31.	Bangladesh					
32.	Moldova					
33.	Malaysia					
34.	Tajikistan					
35.	India					
36.	Venezuela					
37.	Nepal					
38.	Syria					
39.	Burma					
40.	Algeria					
41.	Thailand					
42.	Haiti					
43.	Netherlands					
44.	Malta					
45.	Uzbekistan					
46.	Chile					
47.	Bolivia					
48.	Armenia					
49.	Singapore					
50.	Yemen					
51.	Germany					
52.	Switzerland					
53.	Sweden					
54.	Albania					
55.	Paraguay					
56.	Palestine					
57.	Austria					
58.	Serbia					
59.	Finland					
60.	Croatia					
61.	Kyrgyzstan					
62.	Cyprus					
63.	Guyana					
64.	Belgium					
65.	Bosnia and Herzegovina					
66.	Slovenia					
67.	Israel					
68.	Korea					
69.	ItalyH					
70.	Romania					
71.	France					
72.	Georgia					
73.	Slovakia					
74.	United Kingdom				
75.	Japan					
76.	Spain					
77.	Poland					
78.	Ireland					
79.	Iraq					
80.	Cambodia					
81.	Iran					
82.	Bulgaria		
83.	Turkey					
84.	Hong Kong					
85.	Azerbaijan					
86.	Lithuania					
87.	Djibouti					
88.	Norway					
89.	Canada					
90.	Hungary					
91.	Kazakhstan					
92.	Czech Republic					
93.	Mauritania					
94.	Iceland					
95.	Ukraine					
96.	Senegal					
97.	Greece					
98.	Portugal					
99.	Uruguay					
100.	Ghana					
101.	Latvia					
102.	Australia					
103.	New Zealand					
104.	Belarus					
105.	Denmark					
106.	Mongolia					
107.	Malawi					
108.	Russia					
109.	Chad					
110.	Lebanon					
111.	Macedonia					
112.	Congo					
113.	Madagascar					
114.	United States of America				
115.	Nigeria					
116.	Guinea					
117.	Uganda					
118.	South Africa					
119.	Rwanda					
120.	Congo, Dem. Rep. of the					
121.	Sudan					
122.	Luxembourg					
123.	United Arab Emirates					
124.	Ethiopia					
125.	Kenya					
126.	Cameroon					
127.	Zambia					
128.	Kuwait					
129.	Niger					
130.	Angola					
131.	Estonia					
132.	Mali					
133.	Mozambique					
134.	Benin					
135.	Togo					
136.	Sierra Leone					
137.	Central African Republic				
138.	Burkina Faso					
139.	Burundi					
140.	Namibia					
141.	Botswana					
142.	Tanzania
143.	Zimbabwe

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
This list is weird... how can countries like Iraq or Iran be happier than US or Canada? I mean it's fucking war over there in Iraq with terrorists everywhere, and then you got Iran with their dictator and thousands of unhappy people in the streets getting beated by cops. And Haiti, the "poorest" (is that a word?) country of America is #42?

Only missing North Korea in there as #1.

Sol..

I am Wayne Brady.
viciouskillersquirrel said:
Fun fact: Costa Rican women are also the most beautiful in Central America.

Australia at No. 3? Awesome.

I dunno...those Brazilians....jesus christ those Brazilians.

and to the list... Jamaica? word?

seriously...word?

No offense...but word?

in b4 kidhumpingdatass.gif

SiteSeer

sphinx said:
Exactly, I am a latinamerican and can tell you, people here are very happy and laugh all day cause they just "live". Nobody here is dreaming of having an Olympic medal or being a succesful performer on any of the arts. It's just go to work ( and suck at it, mostly ), be with family and watch the telenovela, men drink beer and watch football as well. That's it, what reason is there to suffer? None.

The American, European, Chinese and Indian moonbases say hi.

Fireblend

Banned
sphinx said:
Exactly, I am a latinamerican and can tell you, people here are very happy and laugh all day cause they just "live". Nobody here is dreaming of having an Olympic medal or being a succesful performer on any of the arts. It's just go to work ( and suck at it, mostly ), be with family and watch the telenovela, men drink beer and watch football as well. That's it, what reason is there to suffer? None.
As a Costa Rican I disagree strongly with that. I'm as successful as I could be, have very high aspirations, love what I study, hate watching TV, don't even like beer that much and football is only occasionally interesting. And I know lots of people that will agree with me on that.

This new trend of 10 BEST PLACES TO LIVE EVAR lists are just pure crap.
According to our BS happiness/pollution/childcare/healthcare/employment/nightlife/traffic/recreation/airquality/energysaver/commutingdistance blah blah blah index...

Sol.. said:
I dunno...those Brazilians....jesus christ those Brazilians.

and to the list... Jamaica? word?

seriously...word?

No offense...but word?

in b4 kidhumpingdatass.gif
Protip: Brazil isn't in Central America.

Also, I've met some pretty ugly Brazilians (but I get what you mean).

Dali

Mexico is significantly higher than both US and Canada? So I guess the moral of the story is people who are unhappy love their motherland more and so choose to stay put rather than illegally invade another more happy country? Or maybe happy people would rather be unhappy rather than stay in their eco-friendly, slice of paradise?

This list is so inappropriately named. I can't help but miss the correlation between eco-footprint and happiness. It seems like something they just threw in to skew the results a certain way.

Holepunch

Thank you for study of pull-results-out-of-ass.

Seriously? Measuring "Life Satisfaction"? How the hell do you get finite number out of that? Is it all just a survey of Very Satisfied, Satisfied, Miffed, and Hatred? What if I made a totaltarist facism repeatedly that repeatedly tells the people they are happy. Would the survey reflect that? Ecological footprint has nothing to do with who is happy.

While we're at it. I still think Global Warming is blown way out of proportion. The world has always had Carbon Dioxide and in the past it had a lot higher levels than we do today. If the Earth's climate changes then we as humans will simply adapt along with it. Trying to make the Earth stay in a permanent status quo is asinine and impossible. Just roll with it.

diunxx

Dominicans are only happy because the huge amount of rum and beer we consume, if alcohol didn't exist we probably would have kill each other a few decades ago.

diunxx said:
Dominicans are only happy because the huge amount of rum and beer we consume, if alcohol didn't exist we probably would have kill each other a few decades ago.

not all of us drink rum you know, but ate still quite happy. :D

alejob

Well well, we Costa Ricans are happy with our ranking in this study while the rest of you argue, wine, and moan about yours(Except for dominicanos).

We truly are the happiest country on earth! Yeeeeeha!

JoseDFrog

Banned
How the fuck are we only number 2? I got family ranging from the poorest to very well off. They all live way better down there than I do here.

Dali

alejob said:
Well well, we Costa Ricans are happy with our ranking in this study while the rest of you argue, wine, and moan about yours(Except for dominicanos).

We truly are the happiest country on earth! Yeeeeeha!
Ignorance is bliss, I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom