• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Could DS4 do for next gen what the 360 controller was for last gen?

DigitalFirefly

Neo Member
I don't know about everyone else, but the primary buttons I use when gaming are the left analog stick and the 4 face buttons (movement and action). The d-pad and the right analog stick aren't used as much (other functions and camera control)

On the 360 controller, they're both towards the top, which is where my thumbs naturally land when holding the controller. On the DS3, my thumbs land on the d-pad and face buttons.

Most modern games use the analog sticks for movement, so the left stick is the primary input, not the d-pad anymore. To me the 360 layout makes more sense for this reason. Like others have mentioned, the PS analog sticks were stuck on the bottom of the original PS1 controller and not designed for optimal placement.

dapoktan

is it so hard to comprehend that people have different hands and different comfort zones?

both the Dualshock and xbox controllers have been around for over 10 years.. the DS has been through 3 generations.. ive loved my DS on my psx, my ps2, and my ps3.. and i love using the 360 controller on my PC..

meh.

I don't know about everyone else, but the primary buttons I use when gaming are the left analog stick and the 4 face buttons (movement and action). The d-pad and the right analog stick aren't used as much (other functions and camera control)

On the 360 controller, they're both towards the top, which is where my thumbs naturally land when holding the controller. On the DS3, my thumbs land on the d-pad and face buttons.

Most modern games use the analog sticks for movement, so the left stick is the primary input, not the d-pad anymore. To me the 360 layout makes more sense for this reason. Like others have mentioned, the PS analog sticks were stuck on the bottom of the original PS1 controller and not designed for optimal placement.

Most modern games use the right stick for camera control, so your hands naturally rest on both analog sticks rather than on the buttons.

Vooduu

There has always been hype over the 360 controller but to me the DS3 feels better. :x The analog sticks fit right where my thumbs are. It's just L2 and R2 that fucking suck.

While I've never been "into" the stick placement of 360 pad, I do like the way the shape of the controller itself feels in my hand.

I've also had a lot of friends who, when it came down to it, decided on 360 over PS3 because of 2 things - the online community and the controller.

Now, while the idea that the joystick placement is somehow ideal one way or the other is a matter of opinion, I can absolutely confirm that many of my friends who don't play games as often and have hands as large or larger than my own often have more problems playing PS3 games due to the DS3's size and stick placement. There have been countless times during intense multiplayer games where the PS button will be hit every few minutes. Myself and other more experienced console gamers do not seem to share this issue.

I do think the new controller will definitely help remove this barrier to some of my friends, although many are jumping ship anyway due to the general negative air that seems to be shared by a lot of people who don't even know the details.

Mindlog

is it so hard to comprehend that people have different hands and different comfort zones?
That's a symptom of 'One Size Fits All' controllers.

I really wish gaming mice had a stronger influence on controllers. Gaming mice have grown more comfortable and placed more functionality at my fingertips. They've also evolved a wide variety of ergonomic grip styles. There's something for everybody out there. Not just one thing.

Darmik

Both PS4 and Xbox One controllers are great. It will come down to popularity and preference I'd guess. I think people will be surprised at having to adjust to the Xbox One controller though. The new bumpers (they're more like levers/pedals now) and back ridges of the controller require you to hold and use the controller in a certain way. Once you have the right grip it works great. Joysticks on it are a huge improvement.

It will be interesting to see the reactions when people get them into their hands. I think it will overall be positive. We might have a gen where all 3 controllers are fantastic. How refreshing.

Tagyhag

So far I'll be sticking with my 360 controller but the DS4 will MAYBE be the next step, depends on how it feels.

They apparently fixed the sticks which is great. Yes the sticks were USABLE but not PREFERABLE. Concave > Convex 100% of the time and they were too sensitive.

I'm also glad they fixed the HORRIBLE L2/R2. I mean seriously, is there anyone but the most hardcore of Sony fanboys who consider them superior to the DS2's triggers?

My reason for not switching outright though is the symmetrical placement. It's not horrible obviously but asymmetrical has been king for me since the S controller.

As far as the X1 controller goes....Meh.

Hattori

Banned
Don't care which one is better, all I'm hoping for is that the DS4 will have the Wii U Pro Controller's godly 80hr battery life.

Most modern games use the right stick for camera control, so your hands naturally rest on both analog sticks rather than on the buttons.

Your hands actually rest on the left stick and face buttons on the XBox controller and d-pad and face buttons on the dualshock. Meaning Sony's placement is more outdated. The Steam controller is the one that prioritizes placement the best for character movement and camera control.

nynt9

Your hands actually rest on the left stick and face buttons on the XBox controller and d-pad and face buttons on the dualshock. Meaning Sony's placement is more outdated. The Steam controller is the one that prioritizes placement the best for character movement and camera control.

I don't know about you but when playing modern 3D game the most common actions I do are walk, look around and shoot, which are mapped to left analog, right analog and L/R buttons respectively. Occasionally I would need to jump or throw a grenade which is when I'd go to the buttons. Considering I'm walking and looking all the time, I don't see how having the buttons parallel to left analog makes sense. Do you just walk and not aim?

Prine

Banned
The rumble triggers for Xbox One were incredible when I played Forza, biggest change out if the 2 for me. Yet to play fps but I'm sure it's going to add lots to the feeling of a gun

kartu

Banned
Guys, how do you know how good or bad DS4s are, did you actually try them?

I can't fathom how anyone would actually like the DS3 controller. The sticks are too loose and the tip of the sticks are spherical instead of hollow, which causes bad grip. The triggers... why are the triggers even triggers? The point of triggers is supposed to be input control. In a racing game, controlling throttle is a pain because of the bad feedback and bad precision. Thats why most shooters use r1/2 to shoot/zoom.

Thr Dpad is nice though.

Thats my opinion though, don't mean to offend anyone, Awesom if you like DS3 :)

Never had "bad grip" problem with sticks. They are (feel?) rubber for a reason. I don't it would be more comfortable if they where hollow, since I'd need to always position my finger closer to the middle then.
But then I'm not a "FPS on console" guy.

Wouldn't tighter sticks mean that your fingers get tired faster?

Anyway, can't compare to 360's, but have never had problems with DS3.

nib95

Banned

This isn't actually true. Hands (thumbs) naturally rest on neither location, and in reality sit somewhere in-between both. That is, in-between the d-pad and analogue on both controllers. Having said that, ergonomically and physiologically speaking symmetrical sticks would be more suited to games where both analogue sticks are used as a main controlling mechanism (shooters, action games, 3D RPG's etc), whilst asymmetrical sticks would be better suited to games where one analogue stick and mainly the face buttons are used instead (fighting games, sports games etc).

rouken

it could if there would be Dualshock button prompts on PC games, but i dont see that happening anytime soon.

Well from what I've heard the Xbox One controller is actually worse than the 360 pad in a couple of places, primarily the placement, shape and texture of the shoulder buttons.

Also it doesn't seem like the new d-pad is a huge improvement. Better than the original, but still not that good.

I don't know about you but when playing modern 3D game the most common actions I do are walk, look around and shoot, which are mapped to left analog, right analog and L/R buttons respectively. Occasionally I would need to jump or throw a grenade which is when I'd go to the buttons. Considering I'm walking and looking all the time, I don't see how having the buttons parallel to left analog makes sense. Do you just walk and not aim?

No, I don't have issues with either controller as far as being able to easily reach the appropriate buttons, sticks and bumpers. What I am saying is your natural resting grip rests higher up than the sticks on the Dualshock controller. It's also much easier to find and navigate the buttons on both controllers because they are higher.

windowslivewritersonytunnelsyndromeps3controllertoosmall-8d24ps3hand2.jpg

The XBox 360 also has issues like you say, because the sticks are not parallel. The difference is the XBox 360 makes the left stick the default action while the Dualshock favors the d-pad.

This is why I want to get my hands on the Steam controller. I do think the PS4 controller is for the better over the PS3 controller more so than the XBox One is compared to the XBox 360 controller.

Top Bottom