• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Could Microsoft look to buy Steam?

Seems like Microsoft is transitioning into a gaming software platform rather than a console manufacturer.
Soon we’ll have the Microsoft Game Pass on all platforms.
Seems like owning Steam would just allow them to instantly dominate the PC gaming industry.
How much would they pay for Steam? I don’t know if Gabe would sell but Lucas sold Star Wars so everyone has a price.

Edited to Add: in no way am I suggesting that I wish for this to happen. I would dread it, but just thinking as a corporate type this would definitely be an option I’d explore.

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Yeah, Valve is a privately owned company. Their owner has a previous history with Microsoft, and is on the record saying how much he despises them.

Honestly, I think Microsoft would have better luck buying Nintendo than Valve/Steam.

Nankatsu

Gold Member
Microsoft can pretty much buy anything.

Tim And Eric Idk GIF

Tsaki

Valve would not sell. Even if they did, regulators would stop it day 1. The #1 company worldwide with the #1 OS buying out the storefront that controls 95% of PC gaming? Yeah, no. MS lost their chance at dominating PC gaming when they went after Sony for the living room entertainment and let Valve come and swoop the whole PC market

Stuart360

Valve is only worth $7.7 billion according to google.
I was exaggerating with the 500bil, although i would expect them to cost more than their value.
If anyone could realisticly get Valve for anywhere close to that 7bil number, companies would of been all over them already.

I would honestly expect that someone would have to pay more than the Activision number. Remember Valve is a private company.

Puscifer

I was exaggerating with the 500bil, although i would expect them to cost more than their value.
If anyone could realisticly get Valve for anywhere close to that 7bil number, companies would of been all over them already.

I would honestly expect that someone would have to pay more than the Activision number. Remember Valve is a private company.

And also takeover over and maintain their amazing worldwide CDN infrastructure completely independent of any big providers. I'd imagine the only realistic way to handle an acquisition of that size is to just buy them out and let them remain an independent subsidiary that lets them do what they please long as it's making money.

Fbh

Probably not as long Gabe is around.
Also hopefully regulators would step in. Is multi trillion dollar MS going to cry they can't compete on Microsoft Windows with the pre installed Microsoft Store?

Stuart360

And also takeover over and maintain their amazing worldwide CDN infrastructure completely independent of any big providers. I'd imagine the only realistic way to handle an acquisition of that size is to just buy them out and let them remain an independent subsidiary that lets them do what they please long as it's making money.
I think thats what would happen if anyone actually bought Valve. Steam is massive and a money printing machine, no one would want to mess that up.

Last edited:

Stuart360

Valve know that they are the only launcher that PC gamers care about (on the whole). They make so much money, and know that PC gamers love them, that even when EPIC got super aggresive with buying up exclusivity on so many big games, and started giving away free games weekly, what did Valve do in responce to the aggressive 'attack'?, absolutley nothing, because they know they didnt have to.

They will never sell to anyone imo.

Gaben wouldn’t allow it, but he’s getting up there in years so who knows what would happen in 15 years time. It would be tragic for the gaming industry if they did though.

timothet

$7Bil would be an insanely low price for Steam. They reportedly made $1Bil from CS cases alone last year. They quite literally are printing money that way and it costs them close to nothing. They have unbelievable profit margins.

Buyer would also probably need to pay decent premium on top of actual value of Steam as an incentive.

Top Bottom