• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Could Sonic Have Saved The Sega Saturn?

Ecotic

If Sega had stuck to their original North American launch date for the Sega Saturn and had a killer app Sonic title included as a free pack-in game, then I'd go so far as to say it could have made a moderate difference. The game would have had to have been really good, a true head-turner. It's as much to boost confidence in the system as anything else, because in the actual timeline consumers just didn't believe that Sega had confidence in the Saturn if they didn't have a Sonic game ready to go and marketed heavily.

I'd have to change a lot more to give the Saturn good odds for the long-haul in that generation. A killer app Sonic title at launch might have only been good enough to see the Saturn be a respectable also-ran for two years longer in North America than it ended up being.

The Saturn was always doomed to fail and it's a shame because there are some great games on the console but Sega of Japan made all the wrong decisions. Sonic would've sold some extra consoles but not enough to where it would matter. It's also a shame that Sega never kept up with it's Genesis IP's that did so well for them like Streets of Rage, Shinobi, Golden Axe, Phantasy Star etc

I've also read that Sega of America wanted to team up with Sony after the Nintendo fall out to basically make the PlayStation the next Sega console. Sega Japan refused and then Sega America learned about a 3D chip they could've used for the Saturn but Sega Japan deemed it too expensive. That chip would later be used for the N64
Afew correction. They had a Shinobi game, and Phantasy star IV was effectly the end of the story. They did made the budget remake of 1 and 2 but still. It really puzzle me why they never ported return of the death adder. I am pretty sure it could be done with the ram card

Neff

No. Saturn was fighting the uphill battle of all uphill battles as soon as Sony said '299' and Namco showed Ridge Racer.

But it would have massively helped and could have enabled it to compete early on instead of being almost instantly washed away into history.

Cultural shift away from home-quality arcade games could have saved the Saturn

PlayStation also coasted on a lot of similar arcade-oriented/2D games early in its life, very similar to the kind of stuff you'd see on Saturn. Even some of the big adventure games of PlayStation made their way to Saturn in the form of Resident Evil and Tomb Raider (which debuted on Saturn first). But PlayStation had such a strong global start that nobody cared. After Square announced FFVII for PlayStation, it was all over.

I think Dreamcast put up a pretty good fight but I'd agree that it just didn't have enough of the kind of major story-focused games PlayStation was enjoying. Relying on arcade ports in 1998 was definitely not the way to go, however good they were.

Last edited:
I know these consoles by heart and I disagree.

The Saturn is not able to push 3D and scroll at speeds you are expecting for a proper game in 3D, but neither is the PS1. N64 maybe, but the console is riddled with other bottlenecks anyway.

Sonic X-Treme does not offer a true 3D gameplay but circumvents it with 2D planes. If you had given me this in 1996/1997 and told me "hey, here is your 3D Sonic game", I would have been hugely disappointed. It is not a free roaming 3D experience.
Sonic R is a technical achievement but the speed is not that high and the draw distance is short.

Making a proper 3D platformer would have been possible only at the cost of slowing down the pace of the game and working with scaled down areas.

And SEGA did provide a very competent library to make 3D on Saturn :

Looks pretty good IMO.

Yeah, regarding the actual desired speed of a Sonic 3D platformer - probably not though. But I think the potential fidelity is solid.

Last edited:
All the failed collaborations though (let's not forget what might have been Nintendo's own Playstation or "Super CD" if their deal with Sony went through) paved the way for Sony to go it alone....and they succeeded where 3DO, and Atari had failed.....(Commodore were never really in the game at that point anyway...)

The Sony deal with Nintendo was designed to take advantage of Nintendo from the start, and Ken Kutaragi hassled Nintendo into accepting it, claiming it wouldn't be for games, all the while not including specific terms in the contract. Sony was only becoming a mega corp at that very period, and started Sony Imagesoft shortly afterwards, so Nintendo realized a little late. Even still, Nintendo and Sony made up in late 92 for one last go. But once again it was Ken, who this time convinced the rest of Sony to go it alone.

Afew correction. They had a Shinobi game, and Phantasy star IV was effectly the end of the story. They did made the budget remake of 1 and 2 but still. It really puzzle me why they never ported return of the death adder. I am pretty sure it could be done with the ram card
You're right I completely forgot about that Shinobi game. The one with digitized graphics. I played that for like 10 minutes years ago and decided it wasn't nearly as good as revenge of Shinobi or Shinobi 3. Return of death adder is the best golden axe game imo. I agree that it's odd how it never got ported. I could see it being a Japan exclusive too like the arcade D&D games for Saturn

TransTrender

Gold Member
Didn't read the OP or watch the video or read any replies.
No.
Sonic couldn't save the Saturn.
SEGA was, and for the most part still is, terribly managed and routinely goes out of their own way to sabotage and undermine anyone and everything they do. It's fucking baffling. Time and again and again.
I can only imagine how much blood was shed to get Frontiers out the door.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Only things Saturn had going for it were Sega arcade ports, Capcom games, and JRPGs.

Sega's big ticket games from the 16-bit era (Sonic and sports) sucked on Saturn. The 3D and transparencies were trash, it cost $100 more, and had limited internal save memory. It was also really bulky vs. PS1's slimmer design.

hinch7

No the internal struggles within the company still would've brought them down eventually. It was well documented that SEGA of Japan had issues with their American branch

The uprising of Sony and PlayStation just helped accelerate their exit out of the console space.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Didn't read the OP or watch the video or read any replies.
No.
Sonic couldn't save the Saturn.
SEGA was, and for the most part still is, terribly managed and routinely goes out of their own way to sabotage and undermine anyone and everything they do. It's fucking baffling. Time and again and again.
I can only imagine how much blood was shed to get Frontiers out the door.
There was that other Sega thread weeks back where gaffers talked about Sega's demise.

It's amazing how oddly managed this company was, when Nintendo and Sony didn't have the same Japan/US HQ issues. IMO, Sega had the talent. Look how awesome their arcade games have been throughout history. All they had to is focus on arcade and one rock solid home console at a time. every gamer knows the home port wont be as good as the arcade, but management and their R&D team went apeshit on making endless gadgets (including Sega Pico). I get it. They were trying to be a toy company catering to every person on earth from Pico to arcade to every step in the gamer chain from grassroots 6 year olds with Pico, to last gen, to mid gen (32x), to next gen, and mobile gamers with all in ones like Game Gear, Nomad and CDX.

They had way too much going on. And surprising too since it's not like they were rolling in the bucks. Yet they preferred a finance busting shotgun approach.

Last edited:
Only things Saturn had going for it were Sega arcade ports, Capcom games, and JRPGs.

Sega's big ticket games from the 16-bit era (Sonic and sports) sucked on Saturn. The 3D and transparencies were trash, it cost $100 more, and had limited internal save memory. It was also really bulky vs. PS1's slimmer design.

That only thing, while not what they needed for success, appreciated in value much more.

And while the limited save mem sucked (as did the whole official memory card fiasco; only the PS Vita was worse); it had things that were at least in ways preferable, like the 3d Control Pad with the Hall Effect analog stick and RAM expansions.

Scotty W

Gold Member
It's amazing how oddly managed this company was, when Nintendo and Sony didn't have the same Japan/US HQ issues.
It all comes down to Nintendo delaying the SNES to hype Mario 3 and SoA taking the advertising success. That allowed chaos into the company.

Sonic jam was their first attempt at a 3D sonic, and they had to slower his pace so you can (3D blast does not count) manage it. I actually liked it, but when a collection is the highlight of your console there's no way you're competing with Mario 64 or Playstation.

Last edited:

Zug

I remember the teenager-old me avidly reading Saturn vs Playstation comparisons on video game magazines.
I was a die-hard Sega fan at the time and was eagerly waiting for the future Saturn games.
But the Playstation was just superior in all aspects, the gap was immense in this early 3D era.
The lower price was just the nail in the coffin.
Even the best PCs were left in the dust by the PS1, then 3DFX cards and their successor caught up but for a hefty price.

No, Not when you had Tom and the muppet show at SEGA of America. Sonic Adv on the Saturn though IMO would have sold 3 to 4 million extra consoles in the USA.

The worst part in all this is without the 32X and if Sonic Adv came out of the Saturn, then I think SEGA could have beaten the N64 and be in a very decent 2nd place the world over

RAIDEN1

No, Not when you had Tom and the muppet show at SEGA of America. Sonic Adv on the Saturn though IMO would have sold 3 to 4 million extra consoles in the USA.

The worst part in all this is without the 32X and if Sonic Adv came out of the Saturn, then I think SEGA could have beaten the N64 and be in a very decent 2nd place the world over
Sonic adventure on the Saturn would not have been anywhere near as good as it was on the Dreamcast....you can imagine the amount of ugly pop-up and mesh transparencies, yeesh!

dave_d

You're right I completely forgot about that Shinobi game. The one with digitized graphics. I played that for like 10 minutes years ago and decided it wasn't nearly as good as revenge of Shinobi or Shinobi 3. Return of death adder is the best golden axe game imo. I agree that it's odd how it never got ported. I could see it being a Japan exclusive too like the arcade D&D games for Saturn
Pretty much the only way to play it legal was to buy that Astrocity mini. (Which reminds me, I should probably buy one so I can play it and the arcade version of Shadow Dancer too. Amazon has them for a decent price if you import.)

Unknown?

Sonic adventure on the Saturn would not have been anywhere near as good as it was on the Dreamcast....you can imagine the amount of ugly pop-up and mesh transparencies, yeesh!
So in-line with everything on Saturn and PS1 then? I mean, that was standard and no one cared. No it wouldn't have been as fast paced or good looking, but it would have been good for 1995/6.

That said, it wouldn't have saved it but it definitely would have given some positive PR for the system.

diffusionx

Gold Member
I think Saturn would have done way better in the USA if:
1. Sega didnt launch the 32X - obvious, just confused people
2. Released a good NFL game - Sony invested to make GameDay really good, but Sega just licensed some shitty game and threw their branding on it, it was terrible. I know people here dont care about this, but sports games were a major part of Genesis' success
3. Yea, released a Sonic game. Utterly baffling they never did it.

Much of the whole game design was made for Saturn, very much like with Shenmue.
There was still plenty of pop-in in the Dreamcast version, Choas would have been an issue, but the bulk of the main water effects could have been handled by the VDP2; In fact, if you look at a boss battle like Choas 4, that looks so much like a VDP2 designed level and effect and well Sonic and SEGA fans were used to mesh effects, given they were used in Mega Drive games, and all Model 1 and 2 games.

Sonic Jam showed how good Project Sonic would have looked and given it was from the CSK Sonic Team it would have been good, while not made any difference to beating SONY, would for me have added 4 million consoles sales alone and really helped SEGA take on Nintendo, but the 32X really killed SEGA chances IMO

T

Celine

Sega's consumer division (console) began faltering immediately after hitting the peak with Mega Drive/Genesis, by the latter part of the MD lifespan Sega was already a troubled console manfuacturer even if outsiders couldn't realize it at the time.
One game or game franchise alone can't turn the situation when the issues were company wide.

3oIcRIx.jpg

Last edited:

TheMan

As others have pointed out, sonic adventure didn’t save the Dreamcast despite having great graphics and solid gameplay. I don’t think the saturn could have produced a game with graphics and gameplay good enough to compare well against its contemporaries. So no, sonic could not have saved the saturn. Honestly I think the best things they could have done would be to design from the ground up for 3d and launch at a lower price while giving retailers a chance to prepare for launch. The surprise release kind of set the tone for that console

Last edited:

RoboFu

One of the green rats
The one game that maybe could have changed a lot was FF7. Square and Sega were in negotiations to create FF7 for the Saturn as the Saturn did sell very well in Japan at launch.

Rumor has it that Sony won them over with a great marketing deal and square was impressed with the ease of development and excellent transparency abilities of the PlayStation.

Unknown?

Nope. That's like asking if halo can save xbox. I don't even think mario can save nintendo if they fuck up their next system.
Considering Mario and Zelda couldn't save GC or Wii U, I think you're on to something.

That said I don't think Saturn was as big of a screw up as those two systems. People cite the 32X but how many people even knew of that thing? Not many and if they knew of its existence, most didn't even know what it was for.

When Saturn launched it just needed some killer games because it still had mindshare.

Holammer

Nope. That's like asking if halo can save xbox. I don't even think mario can save nintendo if they fuck up their next system.
WiiU crashed and burned despite plenty of Mario titles and a proper Mario Kart.
I'm a little bit surprised Nintendo managed to find success with the Switch despite lacking high budget AAA titles and licensed Sports games. Nintendo themselves probably don't know what the secret sauce was.

The one game that maybe could have changed a lot was FF7. Square and Sega were in negotiations to create FF7 for the Saturn as the Saturn did sell very well in Japan at launch.
You're taking utter crap sorry. For 2 years in Japan SEGA Saturn was beating SONY, that all changed with the release of the FF7 demo.
FF 7 would have made sure SEGA won in Japan but in the West? Not, when you had the muppets at SEGA America, still trying to hold on to a 16-bit market no one cared for.

As others have pointed out, sonic adventure didn’t save the Dreamcast despite having great graphics and solid gameplay. I don’t think the saturn could have produced a game with graphics and gameplay good enough to compare well against its contemporaries. So no, sonic could not have saved the saturn. Honestly I think the best things they could have done would be to design from the ground up for 3d and launch at a lower price while giving retailers a chance to prepare for launch. The surprise release kind of set the tone for that console

Sega would have still been curb stomped by Sony, so following the trend of 3d at the expense of 2d IMO wouldn't have been worth it. I mean, that is unless Sega managed to hang around.

Last edited:
Also, releasing Daytona USA in its original condition (graphics) next to Ridge Racer didn't help!
That was a huge mistake on SEGA part. They did much the same with Sega Rally 2 on the DC. I seem to remember when SEGA Japan 1st announced a delay to Daytona USA on the Saturn their share price dropped 15% or something. So you can bet, the PR team put pressure on AM#2 just to get the game out.

I think Daytona USA for more of a massive own goal in the West's mind, the Japanese didn't seem to care and I remember reading of the Saturn outselling the PS at a ratio of 8:1 in the run-up to Virtua Fighter 2 . Didn't VF2 on Saturn break the recorded for the most Pre-ordered game in Japan too (though that might have been for CD software)

Last edited:

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I think Saturn would have done way better in the USA if:
2. Released a good NFL game - Sony invested to make GameDay really good, but Sega just licensed some shitty game and threw their branding on it, it was terrible. I know people here dont care about this, but sports games were a major part of Genesis' success

These are the little details people forget or didn’t read about.

NFL was a big deal. Football games were always huge sellers, and Gameday literally stole the crown from Madden for a few years. Having the premiere football game exclusively on your red hot console was one of many feathers in Sony’s cap.

the_master

No. The Nintendo 64 managed to do what Sega couldn't and successfully bring their franchises into the 3rd dimension and still got destroyed by Playstation. Sega would still have come last, just not perhaps as far behind. Should have just made the best 2d system they could and concentrated on arcade conversions and carved out their own niche in the way Nintendo has done now. A great 2d Sonic 4 would have been better than some abysmal 3d game that would have compared unfavourabley to its competitors.
I agree that the N64 did bring Mario and in the best way possible. As Sega came earlier, Sonic could have bumped a bit its sales if the game was good.

Now, if they had gone 2D, they'd be dead sooner and the failure would have been massive. At that time, everyone wanted 3D games, 2d gems where ignored and frowned upon.

Sega should have discarded the 32X before even prototyping it, and focus all the effort into a 3D power house and 3rd party support. And released the same good Sega games they already released, and more.
The way to defeat Sony then, was to crush it from the beginning with overwhelming 3rd party support and better visuals, selling the idea that Sony didn't know about game sand didn't have the love for them. Bu of course, this required a massive investment.

nkarafo

N64 came a bit too late, when the Playstation install base, catalog and 3rd party support was supreme.

So if Sonic had to "save" the Saturn, it would have to come early too, as a launch or first gen title. And as such, it would probably be crap since they would have to use the earlier developer tools instead of what was used to make later, better games. Otherwise, like Mario 64, it would be too late to make a difference.

nkarafo

Much of the whole game design was made for Saturn, very much like with Shenmue.
There was still plenty of pop-in in the Dreamcast version, Choas would have been an issue, but the bulk of the main water effects could have been handled by the VDP2; In fact, if you look at a boss battle like Choas 4, that looks so much like a VDP2 designed level and effect and well Sonic and SEGA fans were used to mesh effects, given they were used in Mega Drive games, and all Model 1 and 2 games.

But still, it would not look as great.

When Adventure was released it was one of, if not the most dazzling looking game you could play at home, along with Soul Calibur. Even on PCs you could hardly find something looking as good. The game itself was jank and pretty mediocre so whatever success was there, it was because of the graphics. It was the visuals that kept me playing it, personally, even though i kinda hated every other aspect.

If it was released on the Saturn, it would look just like another 32bit game, probably still not as good looking as the best looking PS1 games. So it would have to be a much better game than Adventure to stand out. Like, as good as Mario 64 at least, gameplay wise.

Last edited:
But still, it would not look as great.
But this would be a 1997 game on a 32 Bit system. People's and more importantly SEGA fan's expectations would be in check. The issue for the Dreamcast was, so many thought SEGA was finished anyway.
If it 'was' all about graphics the XBox would have killed the PS2 for sales and Conkers would have been the best-selling platform game of that generation.

In 1996/7 I still would say they was bit of love for SEGA and especially Sonic

So if Sonic had to "save" the Saturn, it would have to come early too, as a launch or first gen title. And as such, it would probably be crap since they would have to use the earlier developer tools instead of what was used to make later, better games. Otherwise, like Mario 64, it would be too late to make a difference.
It just seems to me you're rather enjoying yourself just stirring and winding people up. In a perfect world if SEGA had the Sonic Team work on a Sonic game after they finished S&K and not looked to make NIGHTS or have the muppets at SEGA America try and make their own Sonic game Then it would have been coming in at a time to have made a difference with sales mid-1996, not to take on SONY, but to get a decent base to be 2nd place and where the tools were better; not that an In-House team like Sonic Team would have needed better tools, their code base at that stage was more than good enough, like most of the In-House top teams at SEGA Japan.

Last edited:
Top Bottom