• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Saturn is difficult to turn into a mini console, says Sega boss

Papa_Wisdom

You won’t find a bigger sega fanboy than I was back in the day. I posted in a previous thread about trading in my Saturn and games for an Xbox 360 when it came out and how much I regretted it...

Modded Saturn, region free with 60hz mod

Games

Athlete kings
Burning rangers
Bug
Bug 2
Burning rangers
Clockwork Knight 1&2
Christmas knights
Dalkstalkers
Command and conquer
Daytona USA
Daytona USA champ edition
Deep fear
Die hard arcade
Duke Nukem 3D
Elevator action returns
Fighters mega mix
Fighting vipers
Guardian heroes
Gungriffon
Hang on gp
Last bronx
Manx TT
Marvel super heroes
Marvel vs street fighter
Nights into dreams with pad
Panzer dragoon
Panzer dragoon zwei
Panzer dragoon saga
Resident evil
Sega rally
Sega touring car
Sega world wide soccer
Sega worldwide soccer 98
Shining force 3
Sonic jam
Sonic R
Street fighter alpha
Street fighter alpha 2
The house of the dead
Vampire saviour
Virtua cop
Virtua cop 2
Virtua fighter
Virtua fighter remix
Virtua fighter 2
Virtua fighter kids
Virtual on
Winter heat
Wipeout
Wipeout 2097
Xmen vs street fighter
Xmen children of the atom

Over time I’ve rebuilt it but only with Japanese versions of most of the game’s.

I’ve also got a massive Dreamcast collection, with variants of the pal, us and Japanese versions of games. Going as far as the Rare us version of shenmue that came out in Japan. Virtual on twin sticks for both the Saturn and Dreamcast and 2 karaoke units.

GlgRbCU.jpg

I’d love to see mini consoles of both of these as both my Saturn and Dreamcast stuff is in storage atm. With me just using my pc to emulate them atm. Plus they would look cool next to my mega drive mini 1 and 2 with the mega cd, 32x attachments. Give me a master system mini please.
xrnf574.jpg
dFjV5Jl.jpg

My Dreamcast with the black shell that was only available on the Japanese dream arena store by using the points you got when buying games.

Last edited:
I thought this was obvious. And let’s be honest the PS Classic was a total hunk of shit.
There were some issues, but the price I got mine for $29.99, and was able to instantly mod it, load up 105 ps1 games on it along with 1000s of nes/snes/tg16/sms/genesis/gba... It was well worth it. Shit I wish i would of gotten multiple systems.
The pre-loaded games do have some issues like pal versions of some games, and also would of preferred dual shock 1 controllers.

As for saturn, isn't there like 10 games for it... I guess a mini could hold the whole library, lol

A SegaSaturn mini

Sonic jam
Guardian heroes
Dark Savior
Castlevania: Symphony of the Night

Bug
Bug 2
Clockwork Knight 1&2
pandemonium
Nights into dream
mr bones

Fighters mega mix
DOA
Virtua Fighter kids
Elan Doree Legend of Dragoon
All Japan Pro Wrestling Featuring Virtua

Marvel vs street fighter
Street fighter alpha 3
Kof 97

High Velocity
Sega Rally

There are many games, a list with only 20-24 will be unfair

RAIDEN1

I don't understand if Sony can bring out a PSX mini- (which was nowhere near as good as it should have been...) then why can't Sega work some magic and bring out a Saturn mini?

Maybe SEGA has other plans for the Saturn brand, after all it was their most successful console in Japan. Hell they even brought Segata Sanshiro back, under the name Sega Shiro.

StereoVsn

A Dreamcast mini with a solid lineup would sell out instantly, even @ $250.

3Sy2T9n.jpg
dFFjIKs.jpg
xdkGhjD.jpg
vRmtpBx.jpg
IVgvAOz.jpg
ViiFABP.jpg
eJZLhoe.jpg
FXBkF47.jpg
JSi8cIT.jpg
XOAMq5H.jpg
CdOl1BV.jpg

h6lxaJR.jpg
McnSqtw.jpg
These are great games, but I have some doubts about business case of $250 Dreamcast mini. Unless Sega is ok with more boutique approach.

Don’t get me wrong, I would be there for Saturn or Sega mini Day 1, but these won’t be widely selling items.

That said I have been in buying spree lately for Japanese versions of Saturn and Dreamcast games anyways. US/PAL versions are just crazy pricewise.

MrA

Banned
There were some issues, but the price I got mine for $29.99, and was able to instantly mod it, load up 105 ps1 games on it along with 1000s of nes/snes/tg16/sms/genesis/gba... It was well worth it. Shit I wish i would of gotten multiple systems.
The pre-loaded games do have some issues like pal versions of some games, and also would of preferred dual shock 1 controllers.

As for saturn, isn't there like 10 games for it... I guess a mini could hold the whole library, lol
More like 1000,
250 us releases, around that in pal territories
Frankly sega should sell it as a premium item,
Charge 300 -400 dollars
But include all the stupid expensive games and translate all the crazy great jpn only games

At the very least, read the thread, dumbass.

I don't understand if Sony can bring out a PSX mini- (which was nowhere near as good as it should have been...) then why can't Sega work some magic and bring out a Saturn mini?

Are you trolling at this point? PS1 was way more straightforward.

fart town usa

Gold Member
You won’t find a bigger sega fanboy than I was back in the day. I posted in a previous thread about trading in my Saturn and games for an Xbox 360 when it came out and how much I regretted it...

Modded Saturn, region free with 60hz mod

Games

Athlete kings
Burning rangers
Bug
Bug 2
Burning rangers
Clockwork Knight 1&2
Christmas knights
Dalkstalkers
Command and conquer
Daytona USA
Daytona USA champ edition
Deep fear
Die hard arcade
Duke Nukem 3D
Elevator action returns
Fighters mega mix
Fighting vipers
Guardian heroes
Gungriffon
Hang on gp
Last bronx
Manx TT
Marvel super heroes
Marvel vs street fighter
Nights into dreams with pad
Panzer dragoon
Panzer dragoon zwei
Panzer dragoon saga
Resident evil
Sega rally
Sega touring car
Sega world wide soccer
Sega worldwide soccer 98
Shining force 3
Sonic jam
Sonic R
Street fighter alpha
Street fighter alpha 2
The house of the dead
Vampire saviour
Virtua cop
Virtua cop 2
Virtua fighter
Virtua fighter remix
Virtua fighter 2
Virtua fighter kids
Virtual on
Winter heat
Wipeout
Wipeout 2097
Xmen vs street fighter
Xmen children of the atom

Over time I’ve rebuilt it but only with Japanese versions of most of the game’s.

I’ve also got a massive Dreamcast collection, with variants of the pal, us and Japanese versions of games. Going as far as the Rare us version of shenmue that came out in Japan. Virtual on twin sticks for both the Saturn and Dreamcast and 2 karaoke units.

GlgRbCU.jpg

I’d love to see mini consoles of both of these as both my Saturn and Dreamcast stuff is in storage atm. With me just using my pc to emulate them atm. Plus they would look cool next to my mega drive mini 1 and 2 with the mega cd, 32x attachments. Give me a master system mini please.
xrnf574.jpg
dFjV5Jl.jpg

My Dreamcast with the black shell that was only available on the Japanese dream arena store by using the points you got when buying games.
If you're not overly attached to those games you should sell enough to afford a Satiator. They're like $300 USD.

I'm sure you're familiar with the Satiator but if not, it's just an everdrive for the Saturn. Literally just plug and play and have access to the whole library. I got one earlier in the year. I have a mish mash of physical games, some NA, some Japan, some 90s bootlegs from Singapore and a repro of the translated Shining Force 3.

My prized physical games that I'll never sell are Albert Odyssey and Resident Evil. Albert Odyssey holds a special place for me and my older brother, we played through it as kids when our dad was unfortunately dying from pancreatic cancer. As for RE, no way in hell I'm selling that, my favorite game of all time. I used to own physicals of all the Panzer Dragoon games and some other gems but I just didn't care anymore and sold them, Satiator all day for me. Only time I buy games now is to get a Japanese copy of something affordable so I can enjoy the artwork in the manuals.

My console is a Japanese model w/ mod chip. I lived in Singapore from 2009-2012 and found a listing on a craiglist style site, poor guy was selling his whole collection for like $100 USD, said his GF was making him get rid of it. Got 2 lightguns w/ box, a few legit games and like 50 bootlegs. I felt awful for the guy, wish I knew who he was so he could see that it's still in good hands and being taken care of.

I also have the 3D pad. At this point I just need the twin sticks so I can play Virtual On and some other game that fans translated and made compatible with the controller, can't remember the name but the game looks amazing.

edit- I really wish Sega would make a Saturn mini and include some killer titles. It's such an incredible console, I honesty think it trumps the DC all day and people really do need to experience PD: Zwei and PD Saga. The OG PD is great but Zwei makes it look like a tech demo and Saga is just so damn good! The music, the set pieces. It was so ahead of it's time, it's basically a 32-bit version of the hyper-cinematic games we get all the time. It's honestly an absolute marvel and while I don't think it's the GOAT, it really is as good as people make it out to be.

Last edited:
It's amazing how unknown and undervalued Saturn is by some Sega fans
It's a console like no other, even today, so a mini product would be very good.

But Sega really hates us, saying they can't make a product highly desired by fans like Saturn/Dreamcast Mini while other companies smaller than Sega make unofficial mini of these same consoles that Sega claims they can't make.

Truth be told, we bought more than 30M Sega Genesis, and we bought Sonic collections from the Sega Saturn to the modern day. Sega needs to start respecting its Western consumers and fans.
I'm serious.

Gambit2483

It's amazing how unknown and undervalued Saturn is by some Sega fans
It's a console like no other, even today, so a mini product would be very good.

But Sega really hates us, saying they can't make a product highly desired by fans like Saturn/Dreamcast Mini while other companies smaller than Sega make unofficial mini of these same consoles that Sega claims they can't make.

Truth be told, we bought more than 30M Sega Genesis, and we bought Sonic collections from the Sega Saturn to the modern day. Sega needs to start respecting its Western consumers and fans.
I'm serious.
The console was poorly marketed, stealth launched and was gone from the market in like less than 3 years...are you really that surprised?

Sure it had some great games, but if no one ever played them it's not like they're going to get high praise based off the the nostalgic love of the few who did.

The console was poorly marketed, stealth launched and was gone from the market in like less than 3 years...are you really that surprised?

Sure it had some great games, but if no one ever played them it's not like they're going to get high praise based off the the nostalgic love of the few who did.
The core of my post is precisely to denounce how a Sega Saturn Mini would benefit fans who, for various reasons, had no contact with the original Saturn. However, SEGA insists on alienating its oldest fans.
I think Sega Saturn and Dreamcast fans should take legal action.

Gambit2483

The core of my post is precisely to denounce how a Sega Saturn Mini would benefit fans who, for various reasons, had no contact with the original Saturn. However, SEGA insists on alienating its oldest fans.
I think Sega Saturn and Dreamcast fans should take legal action.
I dunno about legal action but ok yeah I get your point.

Then again maybe Saturn is (inside SEGA culture) seen as more of a failure and even though the fans who played it don't see it that way, SEGA does and would be hesitant to "do it again", especially if it ended again in any kind of perceived failure (like the PSX mini was).

Last edited:
Top Bottom