• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Could Sony or MS steal the wii's thunder?

Monk

Banned
The n64 was the first to make analog controls popular for consoles. But Sony came and created a better atleast comparable system with the psx dual shock.

There is nothing stopping Sony or MS from having a split controller with motion sensing technology with a button layout comparable to the dual shock. MS is in the best position to do this.

Assuming that the Wii will cost $250, within a year of the Wii's release, they can make a controller as a secondary thing or primary thing in future consoles. And at a comparable price to the Wii and boast superior graphics. Which leaves the Wii with its games. The third party games could have superior versions on the other console. Which leaves first party software.

WHICH MEANS NINTENDO IS DOOMED!

Phoenix

There isn't much either Sony or Microsoft could do in my mind to remove the Wii from front runner for my 1st next generation console.

Its all about the games, and Nintendo has the ones I want to play

WalkMan

Banned
Assuming Microsoft did this, would it be reasonable to think that they'd need a sensor bar? If so that's another object connected to the X360.

Azazela

Banned
360 can steal it's thunder by pricing itself close to Wii.

At least that's what I think, Wii's MAIN advantage is price. Cheaper games, free online, buget titles. The controller is great but price is what makes the Wii so appealing.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
for there to be thunder, there must be lightning.

and we all know how Wii does in the light/shader department.

Azazela

Banned
Monk said:

You forgot the part were Wii becomes No.1 in Japan and a moderate success in the West.

And possibly kicking ass in Europe since they love their Eyetoys/Singstars and Wii has plenty of that stuff.

wsippel

Banned
davepoobond said:
for there to be thunder, there must be lightning.

and we all know how Wii does in the light/shader department.
Pretty good I think, judging by Pokemon and the "recirculating shader" patent... :)

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
Phoenix said:
There isn't much either Sony or Microsoft could do in my mind to remove the Wii from front runner for my 1st next generation console.

Its all about the games, and Nintendo has the ones I want to play
That's where I stand as well. Yes I really want a PS3 and 360 but between the price and series like Mario Metroid Zelda and Smash Bros. will make Wii my first purchase of the three.

Azazela

Banned
Jive Turkey said:
That's where I stand as well. Yes I really want a PS3 and 360 but between the price and series like Mario Metroid Zelda and Smash Bros. will make Wii my first purchase of the three.

And the imment third party titles on the Wii that will require them do a little be bit more than make multiplat stuff for 3 platforms at a time.

I bet a lot of smaller developers especially Japanese ones will embrace the Wii, and we will most likely see tons of niche hardcore gamer oriented stuff.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
meltpotato said:
i bet the bastards would call it Xbox Live Arcade or some crazy shit like that.

Let's face it, melt. It doesn't matter at all the means by which you get the games (which is common between XBLA and VC), but the actual product you're able to get. In that regard, considering what you're able to get VC, it wins hands down. Honestly, would you rather play some super famicom games you missed out on, or ****ing Cloning Clyde? (I enjoy cloning clyde, but ****, it's just not the same as getting to play some of those games I never got to play in japan)

Monk

Banned
SonicMegaDrive said:
Man, I'm starting to cringe at how unfunny the bad puns/stealth trolls are around here lately.

How is this a stealth troll? Anyway, the virtual console is a good point. Even if the Wii has nothing else, it will sell well on nostalgia factor alone.

Norse

nintendo will do ok with wii...but I still think wii will sell the least amount of 3rd party software between the 3 home gaming machines. I see this next gen/new gen race ending like last gen did...sony overall at top, MS in 2nd overall, and wii coming in 3rd. But, all will do well and supply us all with good games to play so why even worry about who wins what or steals whos thunder.

xbla vs vc will be another matter..and whatever sony throws out there for d/l game services. I see wii perhaps dominating this part of the battle, but games purchased at the store for 50-60 dollars, ps3 and x360 will hold the advantage. IMO

Monk

Banned
Norse said:
but games purchased at the store for 50-60 dollars, ps3 and x360 will hold the advantage. IMO

Actually, first party wii games are supposedly trying to sell at a $40 price. I think IF games cost $10 less than the other versions, it will be very interesting.

KennyL

MS/Sony can/will/have stolen Wiimote but Nintendo can't steal their graphic. In 3 years, Wii will be in the exact same position as N64/GC, home of 3rd party delusional wishes and shattered dreams.

WalkMan said:
Assuming Microsoft did this, would it be reasonable to think that they'd need a sensor bar? If so that's another object connected to the X360.

They'll use camera.

Monk said:
How is this a stealth troll? Anyway, the virtual console is a good point. Even if the Wii has nothing else, it will sell well on nostalgia factor alone.

I didn't mean your post, I mean several of the ones that followed yours.

The topic is good! Some of the replies are just cringe-worthy.

I really, really, really want to believe that it will - at the very least - do better than the GC, but everyone pretty much thought the exact same thing about the GC compared to the N64, and it bombed, so who the **** knows. One thing I will say though, there's no reason why it can't have a solid first year in both sales and software. Beyond that though...

Mrbob

I don't want MS to copy Nintendo. Let Nintendo do their own thing, while MS pushes the online universe.

Monk said:
Actually, first party wii games are supposedly trying to sell at a $40 price. I think IF games cost $10 less than the other versions, it will be very interesting.
Pretty sure that's false. Nintendo has stated that they could see tiered content, such as smaller titles could be $30 or $40, while the big ones remain at $50.

Johnas

Of course anything could happen. I hate to bring it up, but I think the early PSP/DS predictions proved that.

It seems though that overall impressions of the Wii have been glowingly positive for the most part, especially given the fact that Nintendo's taking a different path. I'm pretty confident in Wii as far as the Japanese market goes, and I think it'll do well in NA, but I'd be surprised if it outsells either MS or Sony.

Ancestor said:
It seems though that overall impressions of the Wii have been glowingly positive for the most part, especially given the fact that Nintendo's taking a different path.

Most all Nintendo systems get positive reactions. People were just as hyped up about the N64 and GC before they launched (and quite a bit afterwords), iirc.

Agent X

TheTrin said:
Let's face it, melt. It doesn't matter at all the means by which you get the games (which is common between XBLA and VC), but the actual product you're able to get. In that regard, considering what you're able to get VC, it wins hands down. Honestly, would you rather play some super famicom games you missed out on, or ****ing Cloning Clyde? (I enjoy cloning clyde, but ****, it's just not the same as getting to play some of those games I never got to play in japan)

Has Nintendo announced what downloadable games will be available, when they will be made available, and what the pricing scheme is going to be? Until they do, I think it's far too early to predict a winner in this department.

Johnas

Yeah, I took a break from gaming for a while and totally missed N64's launch and only paid a little attention to GC's. I don't remember a lot of hype for GC, but I wasn't too into message boards then. I seem to remember mags being pretty wary.

Monk said:
Yeah, it wasn't very stealth. More of a loudly announced very apparent troll.

Monk

Banned
Ancestor said:
Yeah, I took a break from gaming for a while and totally missed N64's launch and only paid a little attention to GC's. I don't remember a lot of hype for GC, but I wasn't too into message boards then. I seem to remember mags being pretty wary.

yeah, most analysts were very negative on the cube.

Has Nintendo announced what downloadable games will be available, when they will be made available, and what the pricing scheme is going to be? Until they do, I think it's far too early to predict a winner in this department.

The pricing has been announced for "new" virtual console games. It was $4.50-$9. So the price of old virtual console games will be less. For comparison, Turbo Graphix games are going to be either 1 or 2 dollars.

Monk

Banned
bmf said:
Yeah, it wasn't very stealth. More of a loudly announced very apparent troll.

If you cant even write english properly, how the hell can you say one way or the other?

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Monk said:
The n64 was the first to make analog controls popular for consoles. But Sony came and created a better atleast comparable system with the psx dual shock.

There is nothing stopping Sony or MS from having a split controller with motion sensing technology with a button layout comparable to the dual shock.
Sony has been pushing these alternative control mechanisms for a few years now, and are targeted mostly at casual crowd (with stuff like Eyetoy, Singstar, Buzz), and they obviously want a piece of motion sensing pie too with new PS3 controller. So I'd say you may have a point.

Well, I doubt anything will stop them from following suit after Nintendo's innovation, in fact, history has shown that some consoles made upgraded controllers.

First, PSX's normal controller, followed by the Dual Shock controllers.

Second, Xbox's bulky controller, followed by the Controller S controllers.

Both migrated into being the standards.

Hmm....I think it will happen again with RevMote, or WiiMote.

Sony and MS will jump on the WiiWagon. :D

mrpeabody

Will the #1 and #2 next-gen consoles steal the #3 console's thunder? What kind of an ass-backward question is that?

Wii only has 'thunder' because the desperate and delusional Big N fans think the handheld market is a proper judging point for consoles. Oh... and due to some hilarious, temporary blunders from the opposition, it arguably won E3.

The Nintendo DS, due to it's quirky, gim...I mean, innovative, gameplay, is a huge success- so the Wii is DESTINED to be huge as well. I mean, it won E3 afterall. We all know how important that is, right?

I seem to recall 1997 and N64's eccentric nature being the reason it would 'dominate the 32/64 bit market'.

Wait... what?

Yamauchi shall return/

KINGMOKU

TheJollyCorner said:
Wii only has 'thunder' because the desperate and delusional Big N fans think the handheld market is a proper judging point for consoles. Oh... and due to some hilarious, temporary blunders from the opposition, it arguably won E3.

The Nintendo DS, due to it's quirky, gim...I mean, innovative, gameplay, is a huge success- so the Wii is DESTINED to be huge as well. I mean, it won E3 afterall. We all know how important that is, right?

I seem to recall 1997 and N64's eccentric nature being the reason it would 'dominate the 32/64 bit market'.

Wait... what?

Yamauchi shall return/
What? Sometimes I wonder if people purposely go out of thier way to make statements, they know, back in the dark recesses of thier minds, will come back to haunt them.

The next year or so, is going to be the most enjoyable in videogame history, and it will also be fun watching countless n-tard haters squirm across the vast internet landscapes.

I need the entertainment. I'm desperate.

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
mrpeabody said:
Will the #1 and #2 next-gen consoles steal the #3 console's thunder? What kind of an ass-backward question is that?
You heard it here first forlks! Mr. Peabody here has used his Wayback Machine and has gone to the future. Nintendo has come in third again!

Monk said:
If you cant even write english properly, how the hell can you say one way or the other?
Not bothering really..... A stream of thought type sprawl is more than adequate for my purposes here.

It's funny. Your attack on my grammar says that I may have hit a nerve. Maybe I even hit the nail right on the head?

edit: grammar.

Monk said:

There is nothing stopping Sony or MS from having a split controller with motion sensing technology with a button layout comparable to the dual shock. MS is in the best position to do this.

Assuming that the Wii will cost $250, within a year of the Wii's release, they can make a controller as a secondary thing or primary thing in future consoles. And at a comparable price to the Wii and boast superior graphics. Which leaves the Wii with its games. The third party games could have superior versions on the other console. Which leaves first party software.

nytimes-yes.gif

Idioteque

Internet gaming nerds are the only people who care about the Wii.

When it comes to the general public Wii has no thunder.

threeball

Banned
a.) It won't cost $250
b.) It is going to happen.
c.) The PS3 controller motion capabilities are useless in my opinion, I can't find a way its useful(besides controlling some kind of vehicle) where its not a gimmick

threeball said:
a.) It won't cost $250
b.) It is going to happen.
c.) The PS3 controller motion capabilities are useless in my opinion, I can't find a way its useful(besides controlling some kind of vehicle) where its not a gimmick
D. All of the above. :D

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
TheJollyCorner said:

Wait... what?

Yamauchi shall return/

Nintendo can sense your fear.

Top Bottom