• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Insider Gaming: Sony Patents a DualSense Controller With Integrated Charging Earbuds

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member

Sony’s innovation knows no bounds – with one of its potentially game-changing temperature-shifting controller patents to the newly found latest gem: a patent that promises to revolutionize your earbud experience – Sort of.

First spotted by Gamerant, the patent application from Sony centers around the convergence of two prominent hardware offerings: the DualSense controller, a hallmark of the PS5, and the highly anticipated Pulse Explore Earbuds, which Insider Gaming exclusively reported on and is slated for a late 2023 release. While both accessories might not seem like they could integrate together, Sony has filed a new patent that allows the recharging of earbuds directly through the DualSense controller.

Within the patent’s technical framework, the DualSense controller is equipped with precision-engineered slots expressly tailored for the secure housing and seamless charging, pairing, and synchronization of the Pulse Explore earbuds. Notably, the design appears optimized for compatibility exclusively with Pulse Explore earbuds, rendering the offering relatively specialized.

PS5-Sony-DualSense-490x243-1.jpg

However, this innovation presents an exciting prospect. These earbuds may have the capacity to replace the inbuilt speaker box of the controller, thus offering the potential for a notably enhanced auditory experience.

Leveraging the Pulse Explore’s capabilities in lossless audio transmission with minimal latency, users can anticipate superior audio quality when compared to other wireless headphones and earbuds, too. The patent’s accompanying visual representations suggest an ongoing exploration by Sony into the optimal placement of these earbud slots, indicating the company’s commitment to refining this groundbreaking feature.

Dualsense-Patent.png

It’s important to remember that just because a patent was filed, it does not mean we will see these products any time soon… If at all. My one thought is how much would this controller cost and would it include the Pulse Explore Earbuds?

Dualsense should be chargable wirelessly with the console as a charger. Sure it would be more expensive but cool as fuck.
Now that we have optical drives we can snap onto the console, maybe they will have other accessories for people who don't want the optical drive.

Mr Moose

So the plan is to use the DualSense, which is already notorious for poor battery life, to charge the battery of other devices?

Larry David Reaction GIF
Battery in earbuds are tiny so it wouldn't make much difference unless you charge them 5 times. It's still weird though, who the fuck wants to put earbuds in their controller to charge :messenger_weary:

Gaelyon

Gold Member
So these wireless earbuds can now be charged inside this new wireless Dualsense... And these new Dualsense can THEN be charged INSIDE this new wireless PS5. Which can be then charged INSIDE this NEW WIRELESS electric car ! This car can THEN be charged INSIDE this NEW WIRELESS ELECTRIC PLANE ! Which can then be charged by this new WIRELESS orbital satellite !!
And this orbital satellite can then be charged by the unlimited power of the SUN !!!

IAmRei

So these wireless earbuds can now be charged inside this new wireless Dualsense... And these new Dualsense can THEN be charged INSIDE this new wireless PS5. Which can be then charged INSIDE this NEW WIRELESS electric car ! This car can THEN be charged INSIDE this NEW WIRELESS ELECTRIC PLANE ! Which can then be charged by this new WIRELESS orbital satellite !!
And this orbital satellite can then be charged by the unlimited power of the SUN !!!
I heard they can charge megaman buster as well

Roxkis_ii

Bro, that controller would cost like $300 with those earbuds. That's way expensive for a controller. $200 dollor more and you could buy a whole other ps5

X-Wing

It's not because a patent is registered that something will come out of it. It just means they are exploring new ideas.

LordOfChaos

So the plan is to use the DualSense, which is already notorious for poor battery life, to charge the battery of other devices?

Larry David Reaction GIF

I loled, but in honesty, I've never gotten to the bottom of my Dualsense's battery, I play for an hour or two and plug it in when I'm done and it's always been ready. Only have one from the OG PS5 launch.

mitch1971

Jesus, Sony enough of this innovation! And when I mean innovation I mean sticking two objects together.

Who want's in on my fridge with built in hamster wheels?

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Jesus, Sony enough of this innovation! And when I mean innovation I mean sticking two objects together.

Who want's in on my fridge with built in hamster wheels?
I am actually pretty interested in this as I use wired earbuds a lot while gaming and plan on buying the Playstation earbuds and if I can store the wireless ones in my controller and charge them

Season 7 Reaction GIF by The Office

It's a nice design idea.

Correct me if I wrong though. I thought earbuds are worse than overear headphones for long term use and damaging hearing. I'm not sure I'd want gaming via earbuds on the daily for hours.

MarkMe2525

You have to admire their ambition. Not sure how I feel about this one, I would have to see it's execution.

Edit: I have always felt this was one of Sony's strengths, that being they experiment with hardware frequently. Nintendo has many accessories, but they usually boil down to plastic molds you stick a controller in. MS just leaves it to third parties and typically release nothing of note.

Last edited:

Svejk

I'll bite.. I'll be the guinea pig. I've wanted that for my cell for the longest time. I love the idea at face value.

Killer8

I can see this working pretty well to be honest. I have the Sony Linkbuds and the little charging egg you get with them can give you an hours worth of juice with just a 5 minute charge. I don't think it would affect the controller battery too much as the buds are like a couple of grams each.

skit_data

I like that they are actually creating new stuff but then again I remember how they easily could create an attachment similar to the DS4 back button attachment for Dualsense have yet to do so.

I refuse to buy a Dualsense Edge just to get back buttons. The back button attachment for DS4 was ugly as sin yet afaik it did sell pretty well.

Should be pretty much a no brainer to produce a (hopefully) cheap, cleaner looking Dualsense equivalent. I'd buy it in a heartbeat because it was very useful. I regret giving mine away when I got my PS5.

Last edited:
Top Bottom