• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Could Sony or MS steal the wii's thunder?

Provider

Phoenix said:
There isn't much either Sony or Microsoft could do in my mind to remove the Wii from front runner for my 1st next generation console.

Its all about the games, and Nintendo has the ones I want to play

Monk

Banned
TheJollyCorner said:
Wii only has 'thunder' because the desperate and delusional Big N fans think the handheld market is a proper judging point for consoles. Oh... and due to some hilarious, temporary blunders from the opposition, it arguably won E3.

The Nintendo DS, due to it's quirky, gim...I mean, innovative, gameplay, is a huge success- so the Wii is DESTINED to be huge as well. I mean, it won E3 afterall. We all know how important that is, right?

I seem to recall 1997 and N64's eccentric nature being the reason it would 'dominate the 32/64 bit market'.

Wait... what?

Yamauchi shall return/

Yes, because there weren't numerous issues concerning next gen gaming from the dev, publisher and gamer point of view. :rolleyes:

Ajax

Banned
Monk said:
The n64 was the first to make analog controls popular for consoles. But Sony came and created a better atleast comparable system with the psx dual shock.

There is nothing stopping Sony or MS from having a split controller with motion sensing technology with a button layout comparable to the dual shock. MS is in the best position to do this.

Assuming that the Wii will cost $250, within a year of the Wii's release, they can make a controller as a secondary thing or primary thing in future consoles. And at a comparable price to the Wii and boast superior graphics. Which leaves the Wii with its games. The third party games could have superior versions on the other console. Which leaves first party software.

WHICH MEANS NINTENDO IS DOOMED!

You take this thunder stuff way too seriously. Gamecube had the same thunder before it launched and look where it is now. Truth is overzealous nintendo fans make it look like it's the second coming every time a nintendo console launches and then they're being let down by nintendo either by its ridiculous marketing, its target userbase (hense the GC colour) or in my case by nintendo's arrogance and stinginess to make a console with prehistoric hardware add an accessory and name it "next gen". I know all that because I used to be a pretty dedicated nintendo fan till the E3 conference.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Ajax said:
You take this thunder stuff way too seriously. Gamecube had the same thunder before it launched and look where it is now. Truth is overzealous nintendo fans make it look like it's the second coming every time a nintendo console launches and then they're being let down by nintendo either by its ridiculous marketing, its target userbase (hense the GC colour) or in my case by nintendo's arrogance and stinginess to make a console with prehistoric hardware add an accessory and name it "next gen". I know all that because I used to be a pretty dedicated nintendo fan till the E3 conference.

You (unsurprisingly) forgot to add one more (possibly the most important) factor into this equation. I'll let you figure out what that factor is. I'll give you a hint: it's a number. A BIG number.

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
threeball said:
c.) The PS3 controller motion capabilities are useless in my opinion, I can't find a way its useful(besides controlling some kind of vehicle) where its not a gimmick
that'd be a problem if you were a developer

Monk

Banned
Ajax said:

Right. Show me one single positive article aside those of steve kent for the GC.

E-Nature

before they can come up with something advanced as the wiimote it takes years for MS or sony to develop it. and even then nintendo will have sold way too many consoles plus the developers first have to get to know the new controller from sony and ms before they can bring out any games.
it would just take too much time for sony and ms to catch up before the next generation of home consoles comes.

Speevy

Banned
Neither MS nor Sony is capable of making the Wii look any less unique, whether that uniqueness is appealing or detrimental.

The 360 is already out with its controller, so there are no drastic changes there. And Sony will be too busy trying to tell you about its new computer to seriously emphasize the tilt, which is optional for its games anyway.

So yeah, if people really want what the Wii has to offer, Nintendo wins, not MS or Sony (regardless of any copying).

Jokeropia

Haha, the fear in all the anti-Nintendo trolls here is awesome.

Anyway, Sony (as much as they tried) or MS cannot copy Nintendo in this aspect as an add-on will never be supported to the same degree as a standard controller.

thefro

360 doesn't have a motion-sensing controller, so an add-on there would be poorly supported.

The PS3's controller isn't set up to have nearly the functionality or ease of use of the Wii's controller, plus the cost is at the least 2x the price of the Wii. They basically added on the tilt function at the end, and games that fully support it and are conceived around it are probably 18 months away.

Xrenity

Mrbob said:
I don't want MS to copy Nintendo. Let Nintendo do their own thing, while MS pushes the online universe.
Indeed, I think MS doesn't even want to have a Wii-controller out there. Anyway NOT before Wii has proven itself to be a success.

I think MS will do some eyetoy-like stuff with its camera, and maybe some extra functions in 'big titles', but nothing more than that.

I really hope Wii is going to be huge (I'm a fanboy after all), but who knows what'll happen? It might bomb if Nintendo makes some mistakes. And we all know they can make those.

The End

The DS3+HD EYETOY will pretty much be able to replicate everything that the Wii can do, so we'll see next year whether anyone besides sony takes advantage of it.

Top Bottom