• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Could Xbox or Playstation first party "monster collecting game" be successful?

Pokemon Legends of Arceus is a hit no if ands or buts. Far from perfect but it doesn't need to be. Now there is a rumor Xbox is attempting their own Monster Hunter game which in combination with gamepass at worse we can assume it'll do well if not extremely well. But if Sony or Xbox decided to dive into the monster collecting genre to take away some of the Pokemon fanbase how well do you see it going? Of course it would be no pokemon but it seems strange all the people who attempt games in the genre are smaller studios. It seems due to the style of game it is it could be perfect for a gamepass or Spartacus game where it would automatically have a huge following. I'd love to see it and think it would do well, but what about you?

If the game is good, sure

I remember loving Ni No Kuni when it came out. That was 10 years ago and it still looks better than what I’ve seen from the modern Pokémon titles.

Bro Nintendo could make a pong game for the Switch and it would be a Hit Nintendo is not even competing with Sony or MS in gaming market anymore they doing their own thing.

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
You're never going to outPokemon Pokemon, no matter how good the game is.

Pokemon games aren't even good. People just buy them.

PhaseJump

Banned
The only games that manage to catch up to Pokemon are Digimon and Monster Rancher.

Both are JAPANESE games.

So no, there's no chance in hell.
America doesn't know how to make that type of *cute* game. It's explosions, guns and violence that they're good at.

Violence eh?
A Pokemon clone where you collect Pikachu skulls or whatever sounds good to me.

Make it happen, America.

Aenima

You're never going to outPokemon Pokemon, no matter how good the game is.

Pokemon games aren't even good. People just buy them.
Pretty much. Some ppl grew up with Pokemon, knows alot/all of the monsters names, it became pop culture. Its not easy to make a clone and be successfull. There are some.

Persona and Shin Megami Tensei games are the closest thing to my tastes. But the "capturing and collecting" part is not even the reason i like Persona games.

Last edited:
PlayStation maybe. XBOX? I really doubt it will be successful. PlayStation gamers would possibly be more open to this type and style of game.

Last edited:

Banned
If the game is good, sure

I remember loving Ni No Kuni when it came out. That was 10 years ago and it still looks better than what I’ve seen from the modern Pokémon titles.

WHAT DO YOU MEAN?

Pokemon-Legends-Arceus-How-to-Change-the-Weather-article.jpg

👆 👆 THIS IS PURE BEAUTY! look at that grass! fucking next level!

Last edited:

kingfey

Banned
Only franchise that sells more than Pokemon is minecraft and mario. No franchise is close to that monster. Not even call of duty.

Here is minecraft in comparison.
It was reported by Statisa that by 2020, Minecraft had sold a grand total of 200 million copies. The Pocket Edition of the game has also accumulated 93 million sales since it launched in 2012, and Minecraft Chinese Edition, a free version of the game, has amassed 400 million downloads since 2017.Sep 12, 2021

Here is Pokemon
As of March 2021, the Pokémon franchise has sold over 380 million copies worldwide. This makes Pokémon the second best-selling game franchise, only behind Mario.

Call of duty sold 300m copies over all franchise, on multiple devices.

No series would top that. Even if Sony and MS combined their sales.

kingfey

Banned
WHAT DO YOU MEAN?

Pokemon-Legends-Arceus-How-to-Change-the-Weather-article.jpg

👆 👆 THIS IS PURE BEAUTY! look at that grass! fucking next level!
Game is open world Pokemon. It would be my 1st Pokemon game, which I will buy.

Graphic wise, no one gives crap, considering the console is switch. Anyone who is expecting good graphic frlm that system is delusional.

Banned
Game is open world Pokemon. It would be my 1st Pokemon game, which I will buy.

Graphic wise, no one gives crap, considering the console is switch. Anyone who is expecting good graphic frlm that system is delusional.

uhm, is it unreasonable to expect it to look at least as good as other open world games on Switch? or at the very least better than a freaking og Xbox title? xD

also this is mostly also an art issue not even mainly a tech issue. the game looks like a freakin fan made unity project

Last edited:

kingfey

Banned
uhm, is it unreasonable to expect it to look at least as good as other open world games on Switch? or at the very least better than a freaking og Xbox title? xD

also this is mostly also an art issue not even mainly a tech issue. the game looks like a freakin fan made unity project
That I can't argue with that.

Nintendo should let another studio do Pokemon games. Gamefreak have been messing with their games lately.

Unk Adams

Banned
There have been several Pokemon style games from other companies (such as the Dragon Quest Monsters series) but they never caught on despite being interesting takes.

Top Bottom