• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Courage the Cowardly Dog is one of the greatest cartoons ever

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh, this interview with John R Dilworth about the inspirations is great. It seems Parappa The Rapper was inspirational for King Ramses. I love that John is as flabbergasted as us in how these got made and shown to air, especially The Mask (second video)! Salvadore Dali's Narcissus inspired The Last of the Star Makers.

1/3: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mDn_yH3O0RA
2/3: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LSaSHDgejFg
3/3: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMvGHpIhUzs

John R Dilworth has his own Youtube channel (Stretch Films), for his shorts like Life In Transition which is absolutely mesmersing and really surreal:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=juyjXwyBFxE

0,,1982755_4,00.jpg

LIT-2.png

life_in_transition_john_r_dilworth_by_digi_matrix-d8ulnan.gif

I adored it. I didn't particularly find it creepy... I did often feel a sadness for Courage. It's been too long since I watched it to remember exactly what evoked those emotions. Angry grandpa and Courage's cute sad face got the most of my I guess.

I loved the eggplant episode!

latest

And the scene where he makes macaroni for a baby grandma. Felt so bad for him, he works so hard. And she throws it in his face. ;~;

tumblr_maermupOAu1r2xft5.png

I really need to rewatch some episodes.

Prez

Tower of Dr. Zalost remains the best tv-show cartoon movie i've ever seen.

Courage was one of my favorite shows growing up! so many hidden themes and mature setups! plus also funny and entertaining!

the theme is still the epitome of this.

it even got nominated for an award:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aO7wapuwW6s

the last scenes of tower of dr. zalost were pure genius.

UNHAPPY CANNONBALLS!

That's an amazing episode. Soundtrack is fantastic as well.

Puruzi

Banned
When I was younger I despised this show an invader zim, but when I watched them later on I adored them. Courage was too creepy and I didn't get the humor in Zim

The series was fantastic.
It also had an amazing castillian spanish dub (majority of CN shows have amazing dubbing during that era), of course the voice director was the same as the simpsons one, Carlos Revilla. May he rest in peace :(

Creepy, funny. Absolutely incredible show.

v1lla21

This shit scared the fuck out of me as a kid. My mother and grandmother never allowed us to watch anything remotely scary. I loved this show even though it caused me nightmares.

courage-tv.gif

Fantastic show, found it more sad than scary tbh. Always felt sorry for the things that happened to Muriel, such a sweet little grandma.

Ezalc

I love this show. Like everybody, got really unnerved by some of the villains like Freaky Fred, Katz, and hell for some reason I remember that villain from the flan episode looking pretty creepy looking too.

I didn't watch too many cartoons, but I watched this religiously. Occasionally the stories genuinely frightened me (I remember the couch potato one being particularly effective, as well as Katz Hotel and any episode with Fred), but most of all I enjoyed the lonely, eerie setting and Courage living up to his name and saving the day. Only Ed, Edd 'n' Eddy could stir more enthusiasm from me among cartoons.

I never really thought of the show as scary as a kid, just weird. The only episode I remember being scared by was the windmill one.

Lesbians episode was best episode. Scary in a way no episode was before or after. Lots of scary episodes, fore sure, but lesbian episode was real fear for me.

The lesbian episode?

My favorite cartoon as a kid, and the one that first introduced me into dark humor I think.

The perfect mix of slapstick and dark humor with unsettling and uplifting themes, and a style unlike anything else.

Still watch it time to time now that I'm in my 20s.

Noirulus

I remember one episode that made me cry like crazy as a kid. Not because I was scared but because I felt so bad for the things Coward was going through.

zeroroute

Banned
Brilliant show. Sometimes my grandfather would come in the room and say, "Is that you,me,and grandma?" Always gave me a good laugh when he did that.

Which one is this? I'd like to watch it again.

Struggling to find the episode in particular because it was a scene with Eustace's mother where she was abusive and it mimmicks the same style as Eustace has towards Courage. If anyone knows, let Messofanego know. If I remember I'll quote again.

It may possibly be "Mother's Day" but I'm not certain and can't really watch it right now to be sure (saw it a long time ago). From Google the episode synopsis seems to point to it. "Eustace visits his mother for Mother's Day with Courage. Though Eustace tries to win his mother's love, she would rather dote on Courage, much to the master's envy and the pet's dismay."

Otherwise you may need to binge watch all of Courage. :p

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Struggling to find the episode in particular because it was a scene with Eustace's mother where she was abusive and it mimmicks the same style as Eustace has towards Courage. If anyone knows, let Messofanego know. If I remember I'll quote again.

It may possibly be "Mother's Day" but I'm not certain and can't really watch it right now to be sure (saw it a long time ago). From Google the episode synopsis seems to point to it. "Eustace visits his mother for Mother's Day with Courage. Though Eustace tries to win his mother's love, she would rather dote on Courage, much to the master's envy and the pet's dismay."

Otherwise you may need to binge watch all of Courage. :p

The thing is I really recall an episode right now as well that dives more into Eustace's past. In my mini-marathon yesterday I saw Mother's Day and that isn't quite it. The episode just shows how Ma Bagge's likes Courage more than Eustace, and criticizes and gives a hard time to Eustace, but they don't go into their past together.

I think what I and you are thinking of though is a collection of episodes though. The more I'm thinking right now, the more I'm pretty sure there isn't an episode dedicated to Eustace's back-story, rather than flashes to his younger years showing how shitty his family was to him growing up in a number of different episodes briefly. An example of this is I believe each season of the show has an episode where the plot has something to do with Eustace's long-dead but super adventurous, successful, manly brother, and each time one of his episodes comes along it sheds a bit more light on the relationship the two of them had. In the brother's final episode, which is the hunting episode with the deer in Season 4 I believe, we see a full-on flashback (I believe for the first time rather than just talked about with his picture as the focus), where Eustace wants to go hunting with his 'cool older brother', but his brother undermines Eustace as his 'girly' younger brother (being a macho man type), and keep on calling Eustace 'Useless' in place of his name, which really upsets him and is shown the nickname still really upsets him to this day.

I don't remember exactly, but I think the same thing happens with Ma Bagge's, as I recall her having character development through the series (a notable example being she adores Courage at the start of the series, but by the end of it she ends up hating Courage more than she hates Eustace and Muriel), I think Eustace's relationship with his mother was shown like this slowly.

I think the first episode where Eustace talks about his childhood is the episode that Eustace's mother tries to use the ghost with a grudge against Muriel's family linage to split Eustace and Muriel up, and Courage acts as a marriage therapist for the two of them, and Eustace talks about how his mom never liked him.

Zubz

Banned
Aside from the obvious ones people already talked about, "quilt club" and "windmill vandals" are worth a mention....
nRBgJ6E.jpg

I genuinely don't remember this episode. I've only been using Netflix for Trailer Park Boys/Parks & Rec lately, but I might have to hunt this one down.

NEO0MJ

Fantastic show, found it more sad than scary tbh. Always felt sorry for the things that happened to Muriel, such a sweet little grandma.

There were a lot of sad moments in this show, and the music helped in that. Simple yet effective.

Ah Freaky Fred the pedophile, no subtlety there.

I thought he was meant to appear like a serial killer?

Santar

I remember this how, it had that great creepy but also funny at times vibe. Pretty one of a kind. Such a shame the powers that be at Cartoon Network decided Courage "talked too much" and made him mostly silent after the first season. I liked when he actually talked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom