• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Coursera is removing 472 free online courses on June 30, 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

hazukash

This might be the end for Coursera. They've been pushing their paid certificate courses a lot in the last few years. Getting rid of old/inactive courses for those who want to study at their own pace isn't a good way to reel in new students as it ruins the purpose of free MOOCs.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
This might be the end for Coursera. They've been pushing their paid certificate courses a lot in the last few years. Getting rid of old/inactive courses for those who want to study at their own pace isn't a good way to reel in new students as it ruins the purpose of free MOOCs.
I haven't checked them in a couple of years, but are they basically a more professional version of Udemy now?

kmfdmpig

MOOCs were a cool concept, but it seems like a flawed model unless there is government funding for it. To have up to date curriculum, active instruction or useful ways of gauging how well students are doing it takes people and money.

hazukash

I haven't checked them in a couple of years, but are they basically a more professional version of Udemy now?

Udemy is definitely more amateur. Coursera has partnerships with many universities so it's no wonder they want students to enrol in paid courses. They even have full degrees available with tuition fees over 10 000 USD. Many of their students live in third-world countries or/and are unemployed and use the free courses as a way to get a decent job. Now that they're removing inactive courses, students will have to register for a specific session to access the content. I'm guessing their academic partners are pressuring them to shift to a paid subscription or on-demand format.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
MOOCs were a cool concept, but it seems like a flawed model unless there is government funding for it. To have up to date curriculum, active instruction or useful ways of gauging how well students are doing it takes people and money.

The ones I've taken haven't been that bad, but they're full of supplemental/outside the course material/links to read up on the subject.

The major problem though, is: A lot of people that enroll in MOOC's don't even finish them. I guess most expect an online course similar to universities when these aren't exactly the same thing.

JesseZao

Udemy is definitely more amateur. Coursera has partnerships with many universities so it's no wonder they want students to enrol in paid courses. They even have full degrees available with tuition fees over 10 000 USD. Many of their students live in third-world countries or/and are unemployed and use the free courses as a way to get a decent job. Now that they're removing inactive courses, students will have to register for a specific session to access the content. I'm guessing their academic partners are pressuring them to shift to a paid subscription or on-demand format.

Yeah. They sell course certificates for $ 50. I'm sure there's a push to focus on those.

gundalf

Udemy is definitely more amateur.

Oh boy this is very true and the people who consume it might not even realize it.
I bought once a (german) Webdev course which had over 5000 5-Star ratings and I was perplexed by how incompetent the tutor was. Constantly stumbling over errors and guessing how fix it, telling misinformation about Javascript and programming basics - damn he even called the indexer of Arrays "itse" which in english the equivalent would be "eyies", WTF!?!

Thank god I switched to Pluralsight, there you are tutored by Industry Professionals with decent pedagogic methods, pricy though.

Apoc29

218751.gif

BreakyBoy

o_O @_@ O_o
What kind of file size are we talking here?

Around 1 GB per course. Closer to 2GB for the newer ones that might have 720p videos.

The automated tools out there generally just grab class notes, pdfs, videos, and their subtitle files. Problem sets/quizzes/exams aren't covered.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
There was actually a lot of debate among early game theorists as to whether the "game" metaphor was appropriate. Many practitioners prefer "strategic interaction", which is actually what is implied by game theory.

what tools are you guys using to download the material?

I used the chrome tool and it worked pretty well. I tried using the python tool (I program in python regularly so I figured why not) but I kept getting an error. The chrome tool is much easier. It only includes the slides, videos, and subtitles, though, so I had to manually go and print PDFs of the assignments.

BreakyBoy

o_O @_@ O_o
what tools are you guys using to download the material?

I'm using the python tool, which lets you grab classes through the preview link if available. Since you can't enroll in some of them anymore, the previews are the only way to grab those.

I'm actually running the tool in an Ubuntu server I spun up. I mounted my Amazon Cloud Drive to it, and am just downloading them with the python tool straight to the amazon cloud drive. I have most of what I wanted. I'm considering just grabbing the rest of what I can, but I'd want to find a way to automate the enrollment process, and I don't really have the time/energy for hashing that out right now.

I'll probably just stick to what I was able to grab.

BreakyBoy

o_O @_@ O_o
i'm confused, how do you actually download the courses?

The article linked in the OP tells you how to do it step-by-step. The chrome plugin mentioned earlier is pretty straightforward. You install the plugin, log in to Coursera, enroll in the course, go to the Videos section, and click the plugin button on your Chrome toolbar. It will then prompt you to download all the videos.

The python tool is a bit more involved to get set up, but it's a bit more flexible in what you can do with it.

Wookieomg

So I'm pretty sure I've got the python script set up properly and all that, but when I execute the command to download the course, I get the error "unrecognized arguments: pla-001" That just happened to the most recent course I tried to download. It doesn't matter what course I put there.. It's an error every time. I'm logged into Coursera, I've enrolled in the course, but no dice. Anyone got any advice?

I have been watching and downloading the courses I like since the start.

Coursera really doesn't have alot of quality courses. I would say about 20 worth watching.

If this stuff is that important to you, edX is still free. And their Harvard Chinese courses set is hands down the best free courses (production value wise) on the internet.

The Great Courses has changed their offering from piece meal purchase to monthly subscription model. The first month is free and there are firefox youtube extension that can download the videos. Just saying.

BreakyBoy

o_O @_@ O_o
So I'm pretty sure I've got the python script set up properly and all that, but when I execute the command to download the course, I get the error "unrecognized arguments: pla-001" That just happened to the most recent course I tried to download. It doesn't matter what course I put there.. It's an error every time. I'm logged into Coursera, I've enrolled in the course, but no dice. Anyone got any advice?

Paste the command and the output. If your username/password is in the command itself, then just make sure you redact that.

Or if you're extra paranoid and want to limit your exposure, you can PM me.

schick85

Are the answers to the quizzes and assignments graded on the spot automatically? I'd love to get my hands on them somehow.

Only 3 of the 7 courses I tried to download still have the video materials up.

But thanks for the class-central.com website. It's very handy.

DeadTrees

This is the basic syntax (it's probably best to wrap your username and password in quotes):

coursera-dl -u "your_coursera_username_goes_here" -p "your_password_here" pla-001

Pepboy

Includes "Game Theory" 1 and 2, if people from the other side are interested

Just a heads up, if those courses are listed as "economics", it may be game theory well suited for simple boardgames or abstract learning, but may not have much connection to video game design.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom