• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Removes Xbox Series & Xbox Gamepass Logos From Its Site. References mentioning "Day One on Gamepass" vanished

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bernardougf

Gold Member
They (MS) probably assumed the take up would be like their other subscription services, Office 365 and the like.
The plan was to attract more players to their ecosystem... the problem is the stupidity of doing the same thing on PC!!! Ill never understand the strategy of working one market (console hardware) and selling products to competition (PC) ... I know PC is windows but if you want to sell your hardware how do you do this ??? ...and of course has the problem of this type of business (gamepass) changing the way your players approach buying games and how your devs approach doing games.

BlueLyria

Nothing is official yet. This could just be a typo or a misunderstanding.

Wait till next week where they'll be official confirmation.

If it helps, I actually now think Microsoft is going full third-party.

Take it easy.
Yeah, a "typo", sure.

I'm just used to having 3 console manufacturers every generation so now the thought of only 2 on the upcoming gen is kinda weird

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
GamePass day 1 games, that would suck.

Like why even have that convention which was in January? Makes no sense, MS again with no plan-

Hohenheim

This is all I care about getting clarified, don’t really care about the rest.

If they stop with the day 1 (1st party) GamePass thing I don’t think I’ll bother with them anymore.
Agree. If day 1 on GP is a thing of the past (which I highly doubt), i'll rather get their games on Steam after my sub expires in a couple of years. No worries.
If that's what they need to do in order to get great games out and keep going, then fine for me.
I don't really care too much about these subscriptions as long as good games comes out.
Just get me that new Fable game asap!

Microsoft just too big. The left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing.

How can someone approve changes like this when there has been no official statements - it beggars belief.
It’s actually a strategy in some cases. Subtle “not really a leak” but sort of a leak. It could be setting the stage for an announcement so it’s not a complete surprise. Of course this is speculation on my part, but this would fit that kind of strategy perfectly.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
At some point money starts to matter.

Especially when $80+ billion has been spent and there are still ongoing legal fees.
True.

Granted if games will be of quality of Starfield, then it does not even matter. I just hope that those smaller games will still pour to gamepass, because it helped me to find few of really good games, which I wouldn't play otherwise.

Reactions: GHG
Let's just wait and see. It would be hilarious if it was just a branding change and them mentioning bringing some games to other platforms.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
The logos gave the impression that they were console only imo. The change looks better.

Having a Join Game Pass button directly on the Game’s picture tells me they’re still day one on GP. Maybe that will change with future versions , but for now this is just trying to stir more drama.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
You sound nervous. How’s your week going so far?

Pretty good, aside from the covid. Haven't made a rushed thread this week.

The logos gave the impression that they were console only imo. The change looks better.

Having a Join Game Pass button directly on the Game’s picture tells me they’re still day one on GP. Maybe that will change with future versions , but for now this is just trying to stir more drama.

OP himself discovered the changes have been there since October / November shortly after making this topic.

Last edited:

fersnake

The Simpsons GIF

Thaedolus

Gold Member
This is all I care about getting clarified, don’t really care about the rest.

If they stop with the day 1 (1st party) GamePass thing I don’t think I’ll bother with them anymore.
Yeah, that’s the whole appeal of GamePass for me. Starfield day one saved me from wasting $70 on it because I hated it hah

midnightAI

Just to dowse the flames 'slightly', this could be because they are about to announce a new console ( an all digital Series X perhaps, maybe Series Y to differentiate it)

Three

Those were apparently switched last year so I doubt it has anything to do with what's going on now. Maybe though. 🤷‍♂️
Agreed, who knows, still up in the air. The rumours originate from fall last year. SneakerSO's posts are from mid Dec so it's not out of the ordinary if internally those were already being changed in Nov.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Massive skeptic when this rumor started but how else would one view this? I suppose there's another option that we're not seeing, but it doesn't feel likely; sometimes the most obvious answer is the correct one.

DryvBy

They threw the towel after Starfield failure to move xbox units and gamepass.

This doesn't mean MS will abandon hardware, but they won't seek console exclusivity anymore. It's not worth It.
Sounds right. Because not exiting hardware when you have 0 games is the dumbest move a console maker could do. And they make some stupid moves.

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
MS and Xbox has been a shit show. Acquires dozens of studios and little to no output. Heck....even Bethesda, ID and Machine Games only released one AAA since the acquisition 3 years or so ago (Starfield). No Doom. No Wolfenstein....... I think MS is paying these studios to not put out games.

Last edited:

Gambit2483

They are about to do another tier restructure for Gamepass.

You want Day 1? You pay that premium you cheap bitches. Watch.

xrnzaaas

Some people are really desperate to stir some twitter drama. MS isn't going to make Game Pass significantly worse for existing Ultimate users. That would mean the end of the sub.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Holy fuck lol.

Selling their games on PS and Nintendo was already pretty extreme IMO.

Nerfing game pass to death will absolutely kill their remaining fans. I’m shocked if they do this. The Xbox console would become a paper weight at that point.

Edit - game pass logo is still there just above the game card, just doesn’t say day 1 I suppose.
Posted these yesterday in the main thread.

So I thought a bit more about this and came to the conclusion that they may be announcing lots of big changes to Game Pass in this event.

Think about it: they are in this mess because of Game Pass. And because it has cannibalized their software sales on Xbox, they are looking to port their games on PS5 and Switch so they could sell enough to get a positive ROI.

If they only port their games, it means they recover some of that development costs. But then how will that QoQ growth come?

Porting is for increasing revenue. But what is their path for reducing expenses - which Amy Hood also hinted at last month? Until they fix this Game Pass situation, they'd always be in this vicious loop.

So I think 3 things are coming in this event, which is why it's taking longer:
  1. Multiplatform games announcement on PS and Switch
  2. Big changes to how Game Pass works (day 1 releases, pricing, COD on GP, and/or new tiers, etc.)
  3. Handheld Xbox to promote Game Pass and xCloud
Yeah, and another hint (which we all missed) that they are going to devalue Game Pass is Satya Nadella removing Game Pass from his bonus KPIs a few months ago.

matt leblanc friends GIF

I don't think this means anything. I think we're looking for random things because we've been given no real information... kind of why waiting til next week was a bad choice for Microsoft.

That being said, I don't think GamePass Day 1 is sustainable for Microsoft as a largely 3rd party publisher.

I think we'll shortly stop seeing non-Microsoft games as part of GamePass and as a result it WILL come to PlayStation, just like EA Play.

I think you'll get catalog titles for Xbox + ABK + Bethesda and then maybe a more expensive tier like EA Play Pro for Day 1 releases.

I think Microsoft will still push for GamePass on Xbox as well as long as Xbox exists, but the days are numbered there. You might see some indie titles on GamePass for Xbox, but not for PlayStation.

In fact the reason they're waiting until next week may be to announce this jointly with Sony, but whatever that's a stretch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom