• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RUMOR: Leaker Kepler thinks the next Xbox is coming sooner than 2028

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
The only way this makes any sense at all is if it's a different kind of console and not another "playstation killer".
Why do this? More powerful hardware isn't their problem lol.
Where are the exclusive GAMES microsoft?
It seems like desperation to me but the only way I could see it make a little sense is if they can get that console out for GTA6 and clearly be the best place to play it

Even that is a stretch imo

NEbeast

I get you're an "insider" so your'e just saying what you "know". Wether thats true or not.
No one cares about xbox as a console and this gen proves that. Before launch we had the "eats monsters for breakfast" narrative! "Sony was scared and increased the clocks." It made zero difference, nobody cares about xbox as a console. Sales don't lie! Outside of the small percent of enthusiasts who will upgrade this is DOA. Why would the general consumer upgrade? This won't change the tide of brand revelance. Xbox as a console is irrelevant.

Crayon

It seems like desperation to me but the only way I could see it make a little sense is if they can get that console out for GTA6 and clearly be the best place to play it

There was just some speculation in another thread that something less like a console and more like surface could work. Not neccesarily a tablet, but a pc that's xbox branded and marketed as built for gaming.

tommib

I could see a new Xbox coming out along side GTA6 or just after GTA6 hits the market.
Is it convoluted to think they’ll drop a new console because GTA6 won’t run on a Series S? After the whole parity feature being abandoned for BG3 I can totally see Rockstar not willing to make that game work on a Series S. So a new console circumvents all of this? One last chance to save face.

ByWatterson

Trying to get that 2005 energy back.

Not Happening No Way GIF

There was just some speculation in another thread that something less like a console and more like surface could work. Not neccesarily a tablet, but a pc that's xbox branded and marketed as built for gaming.
Isn't that essentially the definition of a console? A dedicated gaming PC with a brand name behind it.

Crayon

Isn't that essentially the definition of a console? A dedicated gaming PC with a brand name behind it.

Well I guess that's better anwered by asking why a gaming laptop isn't a console. I'm not refuting you, just that it's not that clear cut. Steam deck certainly blurs the line.

Robb

Gold Member
If they do go for a 2025 next-gen system I hope they have some kind of fun gimmick that justifies the upgrade and that it’s not just another “most powerful” box.

There needs to be a hook imo, otherwise it’ll be a really hard sell.

demigod

Gotta love it when “insiders” give these bs dates. Might as well just say 2025-2027.

On a serious note, there is zero chance it comes out in 2025, bookmark this and come back and tell me i’m wrong HeisenbergFX4 HeisenbergFX4 when the time comes. Way too early and they are giving up on this gen already. Who would feel confident in buying their systems when they refresh so early?

Bernoulli

M2 slut
i don't see this working out unless someone can explain, here is my thinking

if they plan something for 2025 it will be too soon, the jump won't be big enough and the cost to produce will be way more expensive

what games will actually use the hardware? i don't see devs making games from scratch for a console that hasn't a big market share, we are barely using current consoles full potential, all it will have is higher res and fps number not a big jump imo

PS6 will come a few years later then what? release another xbox again?

Silver Wattle

Gold Member
This gen shows that MS need to step away from the hardware side and just focus on software, gamepass and publishing their own games on as many platforms as possible.

Crayon

If it's another console as we know it now, I'm not even sure how they make clear that it's a new gen and not a mid gen. It's going to be named xbox x something xx dash x and be full on cross gen well past the ps6 release.

Shorter gens are fine. I mean. For the most part they be cross gen. From buying pro in between. Really not making that much a difference.

mortal

Gold Member
If they did launch early, like 2026. Wouldn't that just burden developers with having to support 3 consoles? They aren't just going to ignore the Series S install base.

They would have the most powerful consoles on the market, but how much would it matter if most games on the new console would have to be cross-gen for years?
It would just be a prolonged cross-gen phase, even more so than this gen.

looking at soc roadmap, if they go with 2nm, then 25/26 is possible, 1nm is 27/28. Going early is bad idea as Sony will just beat it a year later. They should just launch a steam deck competitor, but that would require significant r and d investment.

Last edited:
If they release a new console soon it will be DOA. They need to concentrate on fixing the fuck up if a current gen that they are still in. We haven’t even had GTA6 launch yet and people are already hoping there’s a new Xbox lol. The current gen has barely started.

StereoVsn

Games take 5-8 years to make. Most of their Studios are full speed ahead with current gen.

Then you have 3rd parties which for sure won’t entertain spending resources on new console from by far weakest platform.

I guess we shall see what happens. I have some doubts on what the hell they are planning to actually have as software for new console they soon.

ChiefDada

Gold Member
OP has said this a while ago, so it's nice to have a bona fide insider here on Neogaf.

My issue is this seems to reek of impulsivity; when exactly did they decide to jump start their gen 10 console? Will they actually have the time to make smart engineering decisions that will allow for next Xbox to achieve longevity or will it be a Series X situation where they focus on on-paper specs (Reminder, it didn't work well for Series X). What dedicated software will be available to support market shifting adoption before PS6 arrives? If they're banking on GTA VI, they better have an arrangement with Rockstar to provide a native Xbox Next version (I am doubtful about this). Otherwise I don't see there being a huge difference between PS5 Pro and Xbox Next.

TLDR: This seems like a very desperate hail-mary attempt by Microsoft.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
i think majority of the devs is still going to prioritize the ps5 console instead of the next gen X.

this is a risky move by Microsoft imo.

First - I think folks need to drop what they normally view as a 'next-gen' anything. What we used to call next-gen does not apply to that term anymore. Gone are the days of the PS2 or 360 launches, with loads of software that couldn't have been done on the machines that came before it.

Second - my understanding about Xbox's interest in HW going forward paint a very different picture from what folks imagine, based on convos i've had with folks in MS and in Xbox itself. Yes, a new machine is coming, but its not gonna be this HW approach intended to take on Sony or Nintendo. Enthusiast-focused, expensive, and with the only selling power being the GP sub itself, while software releases on all major platforms. Thats the future of Xbox.

i think majority of the devs is still going to prioritize the ps5 console instead of the next gen X.

this is a risky move by Microsoft imo.
It wouldn't work - devs prioritize the SKU that is gonna sell the most, not which box is the strongest. MS' ability to sell Xbox HW is at an all time low, and a stronger box doesn't fix any of its issues, hence why they are opening up their publishing support to other platforms. Devs are still gonna prioritize PS/Nintendo/Mobile. Its what happens now and everyone is making hand over fist cash. Only way 3rd party makes money on Xbox is by signing a GP deal, a practice that MS is set to cut down on in the not-so-distant future.

Last edited:

Mr Hyde

I have not seen one game that has wowed me this generation.
Not one game I can name.

Been wowed by a couple of games so far, but not as many as I would like. But I also don't play many new games or care or obsess much about fancy graphics so I'm probably not the best example to judge the gen so far. I mostly play old stuff or AA or indie.

They should've learned from the One X that the "best place to play" doesn't matter they didn't get any momentum going into next-gen after that beastly hardware and trying to tie the console to GTA6 is a fools errand for a franchise synonymous with playstation and i'm sure they'll have bundles with the pro. Not doubting what you've heard i'm just not buying that Microsoft would be that stupid I agree they might be desperate but you don't become the richest company in the world by making boneheaded decisions as this unless they go scorched earth and make everything they've purchased exclusive it's the only way it'll work.

Jinzo Prime

The Xbox Series could be considered Microsoft's Wii U.

The Wii U was launched in 2012 and replaced in 2017 ~ 5 years.

This rumor suggests that the Series consoles will be replaced in 2025/2026, which would be right in line with the Wii U at about a 5 year lifespan.

Last edited:
Top Bottom