• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Covid 19 Thread: [no bitching about masks of Fauci edition]

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
I wasn't referring to you as any of those things. I meant the people pushing for more authoritarianism.

And your definition of "destablising society" basically amounts to disagreeing with you.

If I decide what is best for myself instead of letting someone else do it, how is that "failing"?
1) Okay, my bad.
2) Not me, but disagreeing with the overwhelming consensus from scientists warning of impending consequences.
3) Well, what is best for you in terms of trying to prevent further authoritarianism? There is going to be a right and wrong answer, and we'll find out what it is in the future. We're just predicting. All I'm saying is that I think you're wrong. People make wrong choices all the time.

Thaedolus

Toilet Paper No GIF by Story of This Life
First inkling I had that I was sick with COVID was the night before I found out my boss had it...I felt like my asshole was going to fall out for a minute there.

2) Not me, but disagreeing with the overwhelming consensus from scientists warning of impending consequences.
3) Well, what is best for you in terms of trying to prevent further authoritarianism? There is going to be a right and wrong answer, and we'll find out what it is in the future. We're just predicting. All I'm saying is that I think you're wrong. People make wrong choices all the time.
Scientists also told people for devades it was fine to smoke. Do I want to find out 20 years from now they acrively harmed my health? No.
Scientists are not infallible and right now they seem more interested in making money from vaccines sales than the public's well being.
What's best for me in terms of preventing authoritarianism is nipping it in the bud before it gets out of control, not letting it happen and then trying to reverse it.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
Covid doesn't really kill many people. 99.7% survival.
Covid has killed more people than any pandemic since the 1918 Spanish Flu. Over 4.3 million people. Those are the hard facts. You can't say that's "not many people."

It killed way more people than SARS, Ebola, Cholera, the Asian Flu... It's one of the deadliest pandemics in history.

Death totals aren't just a product of survival rate. You also have to consider how fast the disease spread, and how easy it is to detect in infectious people, which in Covid's case are really, really bad, as it's one of the most infectious diseases in history and a lot of people spread it without knowing they have it.

SF Kosmo

What's best for me in terms of preventing authoritarianism is nipping it in the bud before it gets out of control, not letting it happen and then trying to reverse it.
Was the guy who tried to overturn a democratic election through force an authoritarian threat or nah? Just curious.

Surveys have found close to 100% of people who are against the Covid vax supported overturning the election, which really kind of undermines the freedom and liberty argument.

Last edited:

Keihart

You think I'm saying something I'm not.

I'm not a Covid denier. I don't think anyone here is. I'm saying now that everyone who wants to be vaccinated has gotten it and alternative treatments are gaining traction, it's time to start opening back up.

My state in particular has, as of 10 seconds ago, a 2 death 7 day rolling average. I'm not afraid of it because it would be irrational to be afraid of it.
Until over 80% of the population is vaccinated, you can't really claim that things can go back to "normal". Opening by steps and limiting unvaccinated people's access to crowed places is the logical step to keep things in check.
The vaccine does affect the transmission ratio and thus mutations.
People don't need to die to affect the health system, over 30% of infected people get long covid.
So why are the people opting to not get the vaccine supposed to be allowed to increase the risks of new variants and transmissions exactly?

Consent goes both ways, if someone wants to be around people unvaccinated then everyone has the right to not want to be around you either. It's like arguing that you don't want to use a condom because is your freedom.

Last edited:

MilkyJoe

The point of my post was that you won't be able to draw on the Equalities Act to back up your anti-vax beliefs. Which is pretty clear if you actually read it.

And using medical exemptions to avoid wearing a mask, or getting a vaccine, when you have no decent medical reason not to wear one or get it makes you a bit of a cunt, to be honest. There are a lot of people who genuinely can't do either, and would like to be able to.

In other words you've been schooled big time and now you're on the defensive, shifting those goalposts even though what I posted from the government literally states "self certified medical exemption" and a medical exemption is on a whole different planet to a protected belief exemption.

And you're just assuming I am anti vax - I'm not, I encouraged my own mother to get it, and you're assuming I don't have a medical reason for not wearing a mask, is that due to my concrete stance on keeping this country as free and Liberal as it's always been and I'll fight to my last breath to keep it that way? And you also assume that I don't have a medical reason not to have the vaccine, when in fact I do and due to being allergic to seemingly everything for the last 10 years, I won't be allowed the vaccine either. I bet you don't even know that due to medical exemption being certified that GPs and doctors are not required, nor will even provide when asked, written confirmation of your mask exemption. You even have to provide your own badges and lanyard. 😘

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Right, so here's the UK's current covid situation:

ZY2EnhC.jpg

This is very much what you would call a stable situation. Four weeks after the country completely unlocked from all restrictions, this is where we find ourselves. The doom sayers got it absolutely wrong. There has been no mass explosion in cases, rising into six figures. Even though we have the most virulent and contagious version of covid as the only variant left in the UK, we are continuing to function as a fully open country, without our emergency services being put under severe pressure. All thanks to the remarkable vaccine program.

I only expect things to improve more as time goes by, and our vaccine program rolls out even more.

FunkMiller

And you're just assuming I am anti vax - I'm not, I encouraged my own mother to get it, and you're assuming I don't have a medical reason for not wearing a mask, is that due to my concrete stance on keeping this country as free and Liberal as it's always been and I'll fight to my last breath to keep it that way? And you also assume that I don't have a medical reason not to have the vaccine, when in fact I do and due to being allergic to seemingly everything for the last 10 years, I won't be allowed the vaccine either. I bet you don't even know that due to medical exemption being certified that GPs and doctors are not required, nor will even provide when asked, written confirmation of your exemption. You even have to provide your own badges and lanyard. 😘

You described your card as a 'get out of jail free card', and talked about how young people are being 'coerced' into getting the vaccine. I don't believe for one moment you have any genuine medical reasons. All this business about 'being 'free and liberal' as well... We're completely unlocked and out of restrictions. Are you sure you're in the UK?

However, happy to take your point on the medical exemption aspect of the Equalities Act... though I still don't think your scheme would work if it got as far as being tested in court, if you chose to kick off if somebody didn't let you in somewhere.

Last edited:

Keihart

Sweden.

80 percent seems like an arbitrary number.
It is, but is also the bar used in the past as successful "herd" immunity by the vaccines. We might as well need higher vaccination rate, but that is the low bar some countries are failing to achieve.
(this 80% works with the 90% effectiveness claim, since it's lower, we probably need more tho, i'm not savvy on the specifics of the formula to calculate this but i know effectiveness of the vaccine and transmissibility of the virus are variables)

Last edited:

SF Kosmo

Meanwhile:

I attribute a lot of this to the fact that the vaccinated and unvaccinated are separate communities insulated from each other. Unvaccinated people are probably likely to be mostly interacting with other unvaccinated people, which means it can spread in that community almost as efficiently as without the vaccines.

Communities with high vax rates aren't experiencing this in the same way.

Last edited:

MilkyJoe

You described your card as a 'get out of jail free card', and talked about how young people are being 'coerced' into getting the vaccine. I don't believe for one moment you have any genuine medical reasons.

However, happy to take your point on the medical exemption aspect of the Equalities Act... though I still don't think your scheme would work if it got as far as being tested in court, if you chose to kick off if somebody didn't let you in somewhere.

I'm what you call a messenger. Just because I'm a raspberry doesn't mean I'll sit back and watch others forced into doing something they don't want to. And if I can show someone how to get out of what they don't want to do, I'll be the decent person and show them how to do it. Coercion is against medical ethics and I don't want to live in that country. People have many reasons not to want it before you get to the nuts, despite you calling anyone that is hesitant antivax. That's just you being lazy, ignorant, afraid of what you don't understand and being too compliant to the propaganda.

Why would anyone have to prove anything in court? , if someone self certifies and is challenged and told they need to leave, they say fine I'll see you in court! Then go to another venue, you don't start a court case based on a fake ID 😁

And it's not my scheme, it's the government's scheme specifically written to avoid breaking anti-discrimination laws.

FunkMiller

I'm what you call a messenger. Just because I'm a raspberry doesn't mean I'll sit back and watch others forced into doing something they don't want to. And if I can show someone how to get out of what they don't want to do, I'll be the decent person and show them how to do it. Coercion is against medical ethics and I don't want to live in that country. People have many reasons not to want it before you get to the nuts, despite you calling anyone that is hesitant antivax. That's just you being lazy, ignorant, afraid of what you don't understand and being too compliant to the propaganda.

Not an anti vaxxer in the slightest.

SF Kosmo

I'd like to read your dissertation on the impact an untrustworthy media has on a countries population. Please link to it in your next reply.
Erosion if trust in the media has more to do with partisanship than poor reporting though. Like journalistic standards have eroded a bit in the sense that we're moving faster and more profit driven but our media is still more reliable than that of many countries and and at many points in time where it was far worse. The problem is that America is divided, paranoid, and suspicious to an extent that makes it hard to function.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
You think I'm saying something I'm not.

I'm not a Covid denier. I don't think anyone here is.
And you're imagining that I'm thinking something that I'm not. I didn't call you a COVID denier. I'm responding specifically to the points you made. Your argument hinged on your claim that COVID deaths aren't that bad compared to flu deaths so why are we all afraid? Your argument used bad math and it was still completely wrong, even if your math was right.

Do you still think, given that all we've pointed out to you, that when looking at America as a whole, the impact of COVID was the same as the flu? Both last year and this year.
I'm saying now that everyone who wants to be vaccinated has gotten it and alternative treatments are gaining traction, it's time to start opening back up.
That was a fine strategy pre-Delta. But now that Delta is on the scene, and we know that it is a lot more infectious to even fully vaccinated individuals, we still need to exercise caution.
My state in particular has, as of 10 seconds ago, a 2 death 7 day rolling average. I'm not afraid of it because it would be irrational to be afraid of it.
That's great for your state, but my concern is not just for me and my immediate community. I have concern for the entire country and the entire world. Global pandemics are an "everyone" problem. You can't ignore the global consequences because if you do, it'll eventually come knocking at your doorstep.

Google about exponential growth.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Erosion if trust in the media has more to do with partisanship than poor reporting though. Like journalistic standards have eroded a bit in the sense that we're moving faster and more profit driven but our media is still more reliable than that of many countries and and at many points in time where it was far worse. The problem is that America is divided, paranoid, and suspicious to an extent that makes it hard to function.

"I only killed 12 people. There are worse serial killers out there."

T8sf6-MW-rm3Aqim061keN1Psb6jygW-dMC6mRAkfZg.jpg

Our media caught Covid sometime around 2015. It was in the ICU for the last year or so. It's now dead.

How would America have responded to Covid if our media trust was near the top of the world rankings?

Last edited:

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
I meant currently. Things can obviously change (the Andromeda variant might have ebola tier deadliness or something). And while I did my risk assessement mostly for myself, I also thought about the chances of infecting others. They're incredibly low, since most people got the xeen.
They were incredibly low pre-Delta.

Now, they're slightly to moderately lower. This makes a huge difference when dealing with exponentially multiplying diseases.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
And you're imagining that I'm thinking something that I'm not. I didn't call you a COVID denier. I'm responding specifically to the points you made. Your argument hinged on your claim that COVID deaths aren't that bad compared to flu deaths so why are we all afraid? Your argument used bad math and it was still completely wrong, even if your math was right.

Do you still think, given that all we've pointed out to you, that when looking at America as a whole, the impact of COVID was the same as the flu? Both last year and this year.

That was a fine strategy pre-Delta. But now that Delta is on the scene, and we know that it is a lot more infectious to even fully vaccinated individuals, we still need to exercise caution.

That's great for your state, but my concern is not just for me and my immediate community. I have concern for the entire country and the entire world. Global pandemics are an "everyone" problem. You can't ignore the global consequences because if you do, it'll eventually come knocking at your doorstep.

Google about exponential growth.

What is my position and how does it differ from yours?

I feel like the media has brainwashed people into viewing a complex problem as an Us vs Them issue. A binary issue. I'm not suggesting we throw caution to the wind. I'm not anti vax. My position, which I'm almost certain you agree with on some level, is that as the threat of Covid wanes, we start opening back up.

Every nation on the planet reacted to Covid differently with varying results.

RAÏSanÏa

People don't need to die to affect the health system
Yup, as doctors point out, Mortality/Deaths is a blunt and incomplete metric on the impacts. The belief that it is the be all end all is, in the best cases, part of medical illiteracy. Easy to point out and rebut.

Recovery can involve time and treatment not only for covid. People develop other problems related to covid that need treatment.

Time for today's local story:

Roos describes her breathing as feeling like a "stab of burning hot knives in your lungs" and she says she also developed complications that needed to be treated at the same time as her COVID-19 symptoms.

"Let's not forget about the easy to co-occur infections. For me, kidneys. Your body is just like 'screw you.' My kidney infection was healed via antibiotics within a few days at the hospital."

SF Kosmo

"I only killed 12 people. There are worse serial killers out there."

T8sf6-MW-rm3Aqim061keN1Psb6jygW-dMC6mRAkfZg.jpg

Our media caught Covid sometime around 2015. It was in the ICU for the last year or so. It's now dead.

How would America have responded to Covid if our media trust was near the top of the world rankings?
But none of the people complaining about media errors are holding Trump to the same standard when he lies 300 times a day. There's an implicit hypocrisy to all of it that tells the real story, which is that hyperpartisan rhetoric is killing the country.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Yes, but the chance of that happening is even smaller than all the other stuff happening so it's not really a factor. And there is a point to the wait and see approach, you just don't value it because you think everything is safe and The Science™ is settled.
On an individual basis, yes. However, this is the real world where the world consists of not just you, but about 7 billion other people. The more people who reason the way you are reasoning, the worse off we all are collectively.

The chances of this happening are small, but small chances become more certain when you multiply them with a large number of chances. One person can harbor up to a billion viruses. That's a billion chances for a new mutation alone. That's still a really really small chance, but further multiply that with more and more people, and the chance isn't that small already. Given what we know, what was the chance of the delta variant emerging? 100%.

It's happened once, and it can happen again.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
What is my position and how does it differ from yours?

I feel like the media has brainwashed people into viewing a complex problem as an Us vs Them issue. A binary issue. I'm not suggesting we throw caution to the wind. I'm not anti vax. My position, which I'm almost certain you agree with on some level, is that as the threat of Covid wanes, we start opening back up.

Every nation on the planet reacted to Covid differently with varying results.
What lockdowns are people in? I feel like I am living in some parallel universe. I have at worst vicious totalatarian signs 'recommending' I wear a mask, my vaccine card has been requested 0 times, I have been to the movie theater multiple times, on a few small vacations and to tourist spots, go to packed restaurants.
Meanwhile everyone else is apparently being wrestled to the ground by jack booted troopers and forcibly injected with nanobots, welded into their home, are only allowed to see themselves in the mirror for 5 minutes a day, and are eating left over dog food as they can't go to the store.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Right, so here's the UK's current covid situation:

ZY2EnhC.jpg

This is very much what you would call a stable situation. Four weeks after the country completely unlocked from all restrictions, this is where we find ourselves. The doom sayers got it absolutely wrong. There has been no mass explosion in cases, rising into six figures. Even though we have the most virulent and contagious version of covid as the only variant left in the UK, we are continuing to function as a fully open country, without our emergency services being put under severe pressure. All thanks to the remarkable vaccine program.

I only expect things to improve more as time goes by, and our vaccine program rolls out even more.

Meanwhile:

It just goes to show how large of a difference 10% can make in vaccination coverage. Greatly preventable suffering with minimal effort, and still the rest of the country can't be arsed to get a shot. It's pretty sad.

SF Kosmo

It just goes to show how large of a difference 10% can make in vaccination coverage. Greatly preventable suffering with minimal effort, and still the rest of the country can't be arsed to get a shot. It's pretty sad.
Like I said it's not just the rate of vaccination being a little higher in the UK, it's that our vaccinated population is somewhat segregated from our unvaccinated population. There are towns in the US where the vax rate is is under 30% despite the fact that there are states where almost 80% of adults are vaccinated. So it's more able to spread through our unvaccinated population because they're more likely to be clustered together.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
What lockdowns are people in? I feel like I am living in some parallel universe. I have at worst vicious totalatarian signs 'recommending' I wear a mask, my vaccine card has been requested 0 times, I have been to the movie theater multiple times, on a few small vacations and to tourist spots, go to packed restaurants.
Meanwhile everyone else is apparently being wrestled to the ground by jack booted troopers and forcibly injected with nanobots, welded into their home, are only allowed to see themselves in the mirror for 5 minutes a day, and are eating left over dog food as they can't go to the store.

UnnaturalGivingKingfisher-max-1mb.gif

Top Bottom