• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Covid 19 Thread: [no bitching about masks of Fauci edition]

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
I see people on here, Reddit and Twitter every day saying that anyone not vaxxed "shouldn't be allowed to participate in society", "should be locked down until they grow up" "should be locked down until they stop being selfish" etc etc.
And none of those actually entail literally locking anyone up. You are being intentionally ridiculous by pretending that it does.

Keihart

And no one has any right to even demand that.
Now we pedal backwards i see.
no hands wheelie GIF by Electric Cyclery

Keihart

Please explain why you think you should have the right to exclude me from anything.
Because there is a highly infectious disease that most people don't want to spread and you don't seem to give 2 fucks about ? Do you have the right to impose your recklessness on to me? Be reckless in your private property, i doubt anyone has a problem with that.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

And no one has any right to even demand that.

There are many places in society you are not free to go due to the rules governing that society. Are you saying that impinges on your rights? You cannot enter a bank’s vault, or a women’s dressing room. Are they wrong to demand that you stay out of them? Do you think you should be allowed entry wherever you choose? Are you against all rules that prohibit someone’s freedom to roam where they please, or is it just this one rule? If so, what’s the distinction?

Last edited:
Because there is a highly infectious disease that most people don't want to spread and you don't seem to give 2 fucks about ? Do you have the right to impose your recklessness on to me? Be reckless in your private property, i doubt anyone has a problem with that.
If you have the vaccine, then you shouldn't be worried about me. Why are you so determined to force your nose into my business?

And there you go, putting words in my mouth again. I never said that.

Last edited:

Keihart

If you have the vaccine, then you shouldn't be worried about me. Why are you so determined to force your nose into my business?
So your argument is that vaccinating some people is enough and there is no need for herd immunity through vaccination?
or maybe you don't believe in how the viral load changes between vaccinated and unvaccinated people?
Because someone unvaccinated is not just putting themselves at risk, they are also petri dishes that allow the virus to replicate and spread easier.

How is you, doing something that puts everyone at higher risk not trampling over other people rights ?

RoboFu

One of the green rats

And there you go, putting words in my mouth again. I never said that.
the same stupid selfish statement.

Because we are making it harder for the virus to be passed to others where you adding logs to fire. It’s not hard to understand. Yes vaccinated people can carry the virus for a very short time in their nasal and a fraction of a percentage can still have complications but You can carry it for days acrossed oceans and unvaccinated people are filling hospitals again.

Last edited:
So your argument is that vaccinating some people is enough and there is no need for herd immunity through vaccination?
or maybe you don't believe in how the viral load changes between vaccinated and unvaccinated people?
Because someone unvaccinated is not just putting themselves at risk, they are also petri dishes that allow the virus to replicate and spread easier.

How is you, doing something that puts everyone at higher risk not trampling over other people rights ?
Does the vaccine work or not?

Because you have the right not to participate in society yourself. See no one is mandating you do anything. You are trying to mandate things onto others for your own benefit. You are the one demanding others behave differently for you.

Last edited:

Keihart

Look at DeepBreath87, that's a real answer. Take notes.

Because you have the right not to participate in society yourself. See no one is mandating you do anything. You are trying to mandate things onto others for your own benefit. You are the on demanding others behave differently for you.
If you apply that line of reasoning then why even have speed limits, right? you can easily avoid accidents by just not getting near to the streets right?

Look, i understand your reasoning, but we don't live in mad max society despite what your ideal one is. There are rules in place on public spaces meant to be followed, rules that benefit everyone.
This cautionary measures are not just arbitrary and directed to benefit only a specific part of the population, they are mostly measures guided by health professionals and scientists meant to benefit everyone.

I have no doubt that there is people that would love to drive fast as fuck boi, everywhere, why would anyone be ok with that? just walk safer right?

Last edited:

FunkMiller

They can stay at home until we reach herd immunity. Or they can just move on and live their lives because herd immunity is never happening.

Ah, so you should have your rights unaffected, but they should not. Okay. They should stay locked up at home, but you shouldn’t. Even though they have no choice.

At least we have the centre of your argument and position now. Thank you.

Last edited:

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
If you have the vaccine, then you shouldn't be worried about me.

Schrödinger's vaccine. It works and it doesn't work at the same time.

The vaccine used to be about 90% effective against infection and about 90% effective against hospitalization and deaths.

But now, the delta variant is by far the most common variant of COVID circulating around the world, so those numbers have changed.

Against the delta variant, our vaccines are anywhere from 40 to 80% effective (probably on the lower end) against infection but fortunately still about 90% effective against hospitalization and death.

On an individual level, getting the vaccine reduces one's chance of harm quite significantly, but it's not guaranteed, and there are more things one could do to limit their vulnerability, like wearing a mask, improving their health, or social distancing.

But we live in a society, and thus the actions of other people must be factored in.

On a community level, the vaccine reduces the community's chance or harm significantly, and the greater a percentage of the community is vaccinated, the greater compounding beneficial effect it has. Even though the infection protection is lower for delta, it's still greater than zero, which means that when analyzed via the math of an exponentially spreading virus, that will still have a very large effect over a large population.

Therefore, it is in the best interests of the community to have as high a vaccination percent as possible. Therefore, those who do not get vaccinated are increasing the danger for the entire community.

The known risks of COVID in the short term are extremely large. The known risks of the vaccine in the short term are extremely low.

The known risks of COVID in the long term are extremely large. The long term risks of the vaccine are currently unknown, but theoretically extremely low based on sound reasoning.

FunkMiller

Are you saying they should be discriminated against?

What on earth are you on about? You asked if the vaccine works - it does, but not everyone is able to take it. And by people like you making a choice not to be vaccinated, they have their rights curtailed. The world is less safe for them. You are putting your own needs ahead of theirs. It’d make all of this a lot easier if you could just admit that.

Last edited:
There are rules in place on public spaces meant to be followed, rules that benefit everyone.
This cautionary measures are not just arbitrary and directed to benefit only a specific part of the population, they are mostly measures guided by health professionals and scientists meant to benefit everyone.

I have no doubt that there is people that would love to drive fast as fuck boi, everywhere, why would anyone be ok with that? just walk safer right?
1) People drive fast as fuck in Germany just fine.

2) These cautionary measures are currently designed to discriminate against anyone who doesn't agree with what the government is trying to force them to do. That benefits a specific part of the population.

3) You also keep citing "scientists and health professionals" as one monolithic group who never break the law, have ulterior motives, or have ever been wrong.

What on earth are you on about? You asked if the vaccine works - it does, but not everyone is able to take it. And by people like you making a choice not to be vaccinated, they have their rights curtailed. The world is less safe for them. You are putting your own needs ahead of theirs. It’d make all of this a lot easier if you could just admit that.
It sounded to me like you were about to advocate discriminating against them the same way you're trying to discriminate against me.

Ah, so you should have your rights unaffected, but they should not. Okay. They should stay locked up at home, but you shouldn’t. Even though they have no choice.

At least we have the centre of your argument and position now. Thank you.
"Or they can just move on and live their lives"

FunkMiller

"Or they can just move on and live their lives"

How can they live their lives, if they cannot take the vaccine, and there are people like you walking around unvaccinated, preventing the suppression of the virus, and forcing them to stay isolated?

Last edited:

FunkMiller

It sounded to me like you were about to advocate discriminating against them the same way you're trying to discriminate against me.

I’m saying that by you acting in your self interest by not taking the vaccine, you are curtailing the rights of people who cannot take it. You are forcing them to stay locked up and isolated, when you could get the vaccine, and make it easier for them to be safe.

Keihart

1) People drive fast as fuck in Germany just fine.

2) These cautionary measures are currently designed to discriminate against anyone who doesn't agree with what the government is trying to force them to do. That benefits a specific part of the population.

3) You also keep citing "scientists and health professionals" as one monolithic group who never break the law, have ulterior motives, or have ever been wrong.
I'm gonna assume that you are this dense on purpose, is better than to believe that you are just stupid.
Germany does have speed limits, the measures proposed have proven to work in other countries like Taiwan, you had no problem calling how the science is wrong in a monolithic manner and now call me for saying that they guide this measures?

Jerry Seinfeld Reaction GIF

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
A lot of this boils down to one idea-

The more people in my community get the vaccine, the less likely it will be for me as an individual to catch COVID, become hospitalized, or die as well as the less people in the community as a whole will catch COVID, become hospitalized, or die. As in, a 50% vaccinated community will probably have less suffering and death than a 0% vaccinated community, and a 90% vaccinated community will probably have less suffering and death than a 50% vaccinated community.

Bernd Lauert Bernd Lauert ArgleBargleFooferah ArgleBargleFooferah DeepBreath87 DeepBreath87 Men_in_Boxes Men_in_Boxes do you agree with this statement or do you disagree?

How can they live their lives, if they cannot take the vaccine, and there are people like you walking around unvaccinated, preventing the suppression of the virus, and forcing them to stay isolated?
By simply living it. It's not a big deal, especially if they take some precautions. Also I like how the goalposts moved to protecting the tiny amount of population who is straight up allergic to the xeen.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Oh good, here comes another one who thinks that people should be forced into submitting to the mob.
In what world do you live in where "we live in a society, and thus the actions of other people must be factored in" is equivalent to "I think people should be forced into submitting to the mob"?

lol

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
This was the status quo once. Were they better to follow doctor's orders?

Did you actually read the article? Doctors and scientists were the ones who started to notice the links between smoking and adverse effects and started publishing them, the ad companies basically created the idea of doctor support out of thin air by misrepresenting 'studies' they had created and manipulated and then sticking some actor in a lab coat.

Last edited:
I'm gonna assume that you are this dense on purpose, is better than to believe that you are just stupid.
Germany does have speed limits, the measures proposed have proven to work in other countries like Taiwan, you had no problem calling how the science is wrong in a monolithic manner and now call me for saying that they guide this measures?
You're calling me dense but you are the one who has repeatedly shown they can't read. Or write - was that supposed to be English?

I never said Germany didn't have speed limits. I said they drive "fast as fuck" just fine - which were your exact words.

I never said the science is wrong in a "monolithic manner", I said not all scientists are *right* in a monolithic manner, like you have repeatedly described. Jesus man, learn to read.

I have no idea what that last part is supposed to mean, even with google translate.

FunkMiller

By simply living it. It's not a big deal, especially if they take some precautions. Also I like how the goalposts moved to protecting the tiny amount of population who is straight up allergic to the xeen.

So now we’re back to it not being a dangerous virus again: “it’s not a big deal”. …. And I have changed zero goalposts. It’s always been about protecting those who can’t protect themselves.

If you guys could just be honest and admit you don’t care about how your actions effect other people, all of this would be a lot quicker.

Go on. Grow some balls and just say it. Just say you don’t care about them.

If nothing else, we’d probably have to give you credit for being truthful.

Last edited:
I’m saying that by you acting in your self interest by not taking the vaccine, you are curtailing the rights of people who cannot take it. You are forcing them to stay locked up and isolated, when you could get the vaccine, and make it easier for them to be safe.
And people forcing me to take something I don't want to take - yet - are curtailing my rights. So you're fine with one side but not the other. Which is hypocritical, but I'm not surprised.

So now we’re back to it not being a dangerous virus again: “it’s not a big deal”. …. And I have changed zero goalposts. It’s always been about protecting those who can’t protect themselves.

If you guys could just be honest and admit you don’t care about how your actions effect other people, all of this would be a lot quicker.

Go on. Grow some balls and just say it. Just say you don’t care about them.

If nothing else, we’d probably have to give you credit for being truthful.
Life is inherently risky. Almost everything we do has some risk to it. You got the choice to just live your life or cower in fear.

"I'm protecting people by bullying other people!" - How noble!

Right, okay. So you think you’re rights to your job and life are more important than their rights to be healthy and safe.

Good stuff.

We’ve hit the crux of the matter.
Right, okay. So you don't think I have any right to a job or life, or to be safe.

Good stuff.

We've hit the crux of the matter.

Top Bottom