• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crackdown 2 demo impressions

Wiggum2007

I hate the stupid squeeky noise whenever you jump! Hate it!!

It is definitely sub-HD too, quite the contrast coming from Crackdown 1's crisp 720p. Unless it's just some weird blur filter for distant scenery.

I've gotten Lv 4 agility and Lv 3 Strength

After lv 4 the agility progression slows down. but god damn does it feel amazing jumping from roof to roof. I've gotten to level 4 within 20 minutes(orbs + rooftop races)

Can't seem to do the Jump then Hold "B" ground smash. Doesn't kill anyone but stuns them.

"Oh my god an Agent almost landed on me. My friends are going to be so jealous"
:lol

civilians have more life.

I don't think its sub hd. Looks very crisp to me(VGA)

Finally maxed out agility and tried out the wing suit (gliding) and it was, uh, I only had like 4 minutes to use it and it wasn't as cool as I thought. I wasn't expecting an infamous glide but it looked a lot like prototype's. What it is is weird. I need more time, but the demo doesn't give me that.

Played it a couple of times and it's a Crackdown sequel through and through. It won't changed anyone's mind if they didn't like CD1, but for those of us who loved it, this will be a great experience, especially in 4 player co-op.

2 complaints though:

1. The targeting system is crazy wild. I like being able to pinpoint body parts, and car parts so right stick target flicking would be difficult to squeeze in there, but this game desperately needs it. Targeting something 40 feet away when there are 5 goons in front of you isn't cool. I know some people had a problem with this in CD1, but I didn't notice it back then. Maybe it's because I haven't played a game with a targeting problem in a LONG time, but CD2 definitely felt weird in that regard.

2. 30 minutes is just too short. :p I know they HAVE to put a restriction on the demo, but man...I needz more. There is so much on the map, and I just want to be able to explore at my own pace. Also, constantly staring at a gimped Level 1 agent just kills me more and more after 3 years of being maxed out. I don't think I'll be able to play this demo as much as I did for CD1 just because of that.

Another thing: Such a weird feeling jumping through Pacific City as it looks now. So many of the monuments are destroyed, and a lot of things are toppled over, etc. Looking over at the Shai Gen part of the map, and you can see towers on fire...I feel bad for the city :lol

Circle T

ExtraKr1spy said:
Can't seem to do the Jump then Hold "B" ground smash. Doesn't kill anyone but stuns them.
This requires Level 5 Strength. Trust me, when you hit 5 and can do this, you'll know it. It just DESTROYS stuff when you land. Best way to get that is to just find the groups of Freaks and just mash the hell out of the B-button punching and kicking for a few minutes.

JdFoX187

Banned
Don't see where the majority of the complaints are coming from. Same ole people bitching about the city being the same. I recognized some familiar areas, but a lot of it has changed. Not to mention the freaks coming out really changes it. When I was level 1, I was worried about even landing on the street because I'd get swarmed :lol

Seems there's a lot of subtle improvements, and the graphics look sharper to me. I don't know. If you love Crackdown, you'll probably love this one. It's literally Crackdown 2.0.

Wiggum2007

Why do I have to be a helmeted clone? And the choice between 4 generic dudes? Where's my Marilyn Manson and Tattooed Maori Warrior??

And I miss catapulting dozens of civilians at a time up into the air off my car hood. Now they just go poof.

JdFoX187

Banned
Wiggum2007 said:
Why do I have to be a helmeted clone? And the choice between 4 generic dudes? Where's my Marilyn Manson and Tattooed Maori Warrior??

And I miss catapulting dozens of civilians at a time up into the air off my car hood. Now they just go poof.
I was thinking the same thing. We choose four generic dudes, and then we don a helmet after we level up once? I'm hoping there's a helmet toggle option in the full game.

Wiggum2007 said:

Huh? The FREAKS go poof, I'm pretty sure you can still catapult people when you hit them.

Wiggum2007

Net_Wrecker said:
Huh? The FREAKS go poof, I'm pretty sure you can still catapult people when you hit them.

I went on a rampage earlier, the only difference is that freaks make green poofs and people make red poofs. :lol

Nelo Ice

Banned
so has anyone made a cd2 demo account to share?

if there is im surprised it hasnt been passed around espcially since theres a ton of people that want to play this demo damnit! :lol

Blimblim said:
What I loved in Crackdown is being able to get around the rooftops and streets and go get the agility orbs. I played one full 30 minutes round of the demo and I definitely did not get that same feeling because there are enemies everywhere. During the day there is that gang (at least in the demo area) that shoots you anywhere you go, and at night you simply can't move on foot in the street.
It's more or less what I feared it would be, more about combat and pure action, and less about platforming. I'll try it again later, but so far I'm not liking it at all.
They also seemingly had to cut down on the details (especially textures) to get the engine to display as many enemies as it does now.

Well, that sucks. :(

JdFoX187 said:
I was thinking the same thing. We choose four generic dudes, and then we don a helmet after we level up once? I'm hoping there's a helmet toggle option in the full game.

I'm sorry that the helmets ruin your genericness :(

I'm regards to the narrative maybe it's due to you being motherfucking super-agents meant to be feared by the populace of the city and gangs alike? If you were given some squishy human face you'd just seem like some squishy human.

Tokubetsu

Definitely think thats a part of it for me as well. It just feels "off" and not like Crackdown 1 that I remember. Everything about the art, graphics etc just seem way more "tacky" as well. None of that cartoon charm of first.

Wiggum2007

Tokubetsu said:
Definitely think thats a part of it for me as well. It just feels "off" and not like Crackdown 1 that I remember. Everything about the art, graphics etc just seem way more "tacky" as well. None of that cartoon charm of first.

Controls feel slightly off too, though that could just me getting used them feeling different than Crackdown 1. Stuff like jumping, enemy lock-on, the way your Agent 'pops' up to a ledge you're jumping to that should really be just out of reach. It feels like they just took everything from the first game and made it all slightly more awkward.

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
brain_stew said:

I dunno. When you start, you are not really in an area where a lot of larger buildings are. Plus, you can't really perform well enough at the start anyway due to how shitty your agility is.

When I hit Agi level 4, I was flying all over, climbing like the motherfucking king kong. There's just a lot of fighting going on where you start off at.

I imagine once you level up more, it gets more vertical and less damaging to wander around.

Aaron

brain_stew said:
I think he's completely wrong. The enemies are like flies, and they're not even close to everywhere. There's still plenty of good platforming to collect the agility orbs in the demo alone. In this way, it feels exactly like the original Crackdown.

I think it looks better visually overall. They've gone for a mildly more realistic look, which is an improvement.

Dang, I almost got my Strength all the way up. I was just running around with a lamp post tearing those baddies up! It's awesome when there's a group of infected people surrounding you and you just start swinging that thing around.

Gowans

Well it's Crackdown and all that great Crackdown platforming is there.

I forgot how much I enjoy the manual climbing that Crackdown has over the more automatic navigation in games like infamous & Assaisns Creed, feels so rewarding.

Also seems to be much more on screen than I can remember, loved mowing then going ninja in the huge pile of zombies.

Gowans007 said:
Well it's Crackdown and all that great Crackdown platforming is there.

I forgot how much I enjoy the manual climbing that Crackdown has over the more automatic navigation in games like infamous & Assaisns Creed, feels so rewarding.

Also seems to be much more on screen than I can remember, loved mowing then going ninja in the huge pile of zombies.

While the manual climbing is great, I feel both iNFAMOUS, and Crackdown would really benefit from a Prototype-like vertical building run, as well as a Prince of Persia style horizontal wallrun. Its odd having these super athletic characters with exaggerated jumping heights, yet we have to grab every ledge while climbing.

How great would it be to sprint up one of the buildings in Crackdown 2, and build enough speed to go straight into the wingsuit?

Aaron

Net_Wrecker said:
While the manual climbing is great, I feel both iNFAMOUS, and Crackdown would really benefit from a Prototype-like vertical building run, as well as a Prince of Persia style horizontal wallrun. Its odd having these super athletic characters with exaggerated jumping heights, yet we have to grab every ledge while climbing.

How great would it be to sprint up one of the buildings in Crackdown 2, and build enough speed to go straight into the wingsuit?
Hell no. Keep that braindead gameplay out of Crackdown please. It's the reason the cities in Hulk: UD and Prototype felt like no more than a random series of boxes.

Aaron said:
Hell no. Keep that braindead gameplay out of Crackdown please. It's the reason the cities in Hulk: UD and Prototype felt like no more than a random series of boxes.

Actually, no, I'm pretty sure that's because those cities were designed like a series of boxes. What I meant is that we should be able to run up/on the "smooth/flat" buildings with minimal balconies, ledges, etc. not every building. I think it would add a layer of smooth athleticism that Crackdown lacks at the moment IMO.

And I don't understand how that's "braindead gameplay" either. If there's one thing Prototype, and Hulk: UD were praised for, it was the great feeling traversal mechanics. Having those moves on TOP of the platfoming in Crackdown would only make for more options which never hurt anybody.

Rad-

Most fun demo I've played in a while. The only complaints I have so far are that the visuals are about the same level as in the first one and that the demo was too short. :lol Can't wait for the game to arrive. 4 player co-op is going to be maaaaad fun.

Aaron

Net_Wrecker said:
And I don't understand how that's "braindead gameplay" either. If there's one thing Prototype, and Hulk: UD were praised for, it was the great feeling traversal mechanics. Having those moves on TOP of the platfoming in Crackdown would only make for more options which never hurt anybody.
It's not something I praise them for. I thought that aspect of the games was crap, personally. The way the lock on works with the fighting mechanics is what made those games good for me. If they had Crackdown style traversal, where they included platformer elements, I would have liked them more.

Don't know if anyone can answer this, but can we not join a random co-op campaign in the full game, or is that just something they restricted for the demo?

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
Net_Wrecker said:
Don't know if anyone can answer this, but can we not join a random co-op campaign in the full game, or is that just something they restricted for the demo?

I thought I read somewhere that the random joining starts when the demo officially releases on the marketplace.

Chrange

Banned
Aaron said:
I think he's completely wrong. The enemies are like flies, and they're not even close to everywhere. There's still plenty of good platforming to collect the agility orbs in the demo alone. In this way, it feels exactly like the original Crackdown.

I think it looks better visually overall. They've gone for a mildly more realistic look, which is an improvement.
Exactly - I mean you start out in an area that's perfect for climbing, with all the Sea-Cans and cranes...topped by GLORIOUS GREEN ORBS! There are enemies around, but you can just ignore them and go about your business. Unless you stop and stand still for a while, they're not a real danger.

Explored out to the ship one time. Went under the bridge and found a hidden orb the next time. Just went nuts with explosives on one run (satchel charges rule!) and with guns on the next...

I wasn't sure about the environmental movement until I got the first agility powerup. It seemed like the area was less friendly to low-level exploration than the first game, with more ledges out of reach and more orbs to taunt you. But then I got the knack of balancing on open doors or lights to get higher, and figured out which ledges were eligible for grabbing and it got a lot easier to get around :D

Did have my doubts about my pre-order after having read the comments but having now played the demo the release day can't come soon enough!
Having a blast and the amount of mutants that come out at night is impressive.

Popeck

It took some time to get the hang of Crack again, but when I got rolling, dem freaks and Cell got burning. Jumping, throwing explosives, doin' flips and shit is still fun. I don't know about the graphics, on the other hand they don't look that great, but when the freaks go out, the streets are full of them. It's nice to mow them down with a truck.

Hopefully I will get to try the co-op soon, but here's some HD footage I captured last night: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTXKmxkCV8E.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Alright so I gave it another try. This time I played in easy difficulty and concentrated on the agility orbs. And it was much better that way. I reached agility level 4 with about 5 minutes left and went to move around the city. I'm still not liking the freaks at all, but they are less of a problem at level 4 where you can just hop around. I guess the freaks who can follow you will become an issue in the final game though.
Maybe it's because I just want this game to be like the first Crackdown, but so far at least it's like all the changes they made are getting in the way. It still moves exactly like Crackdown thankfully, but there are more slight slowdowns than I remember having in the first game.

acm2000

i think we all have to remember, this isnt really a fully fledged sequel, even tho its named as such.

the day time gameplay, is still very crackdown
the night time gameplay, is dead rising mixed in, 100s of enemies on screen, all great car fodder :D

S1kkZ

Opus Angelorum said:
Disappointed to hear the engine is exactly the same, they've had enough time to at least modify it.
no, there was not enough time. development started early last year.

Imo the game looks tons better than the first Crackdown, except for the weird distance blur effect, that looks like an upscaled SD game or something.

I like the new sounds for jumping, that whisp noise is the sound of material stretching super quicly, a cool effect.

The new level up sound is cool too in it's own unique way.

I love that 1 shot rifle you can spawn with, no zoom but it's shooting powerful but slow rounds, great portable sniper you can use on the move.

derFeef

Backfoggen said:
Imo the game looks tons better than the first Crackdown, except for the weird distance blur effect, that looks like an upscaled SD game or something.
I agree. Much sharper overall besides the "depth of field" thing and close up textures.

I can not remember the exact phrase, but the agency voice telling me I got the Bomberman achievement was really awesome. :D

Fantasmo said:
I'm guessing that it won't be as easy to level up in the full game as much as it is in the demo?
Crackdown 1 had accelerated leveling also, it will easily be 5 times slower in the real game, if not more.

Diablohead said:
Crackdown 1 had accelerated leveling also, it will easily be 5 times slower in the real game, if not more.

Thanks. Really enjoying the demo. Would have been nice if there was a 'Just Cause 2' style demo timer glitch.

Top Bottom