• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crackdown 2 demo impressions

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
HorribleJames said:
demo had unimpressive graphics and gameplay -- imo. the hordes of zombies are kinda cool, I admit, but the problem is the core action just isn't satisfying. shooting feels unimpactful and boring. there's no real aiming. I just don't "get" this type of game. it's full of action but the action just isn't fun or satisfying.

The appeal of Crackdown isn't the combat. It's a big sandbox where you can do all kinds of whacky shit (which is magnified in coop). It's only as boring as you are, unfortunately the demo isn't really a good representation of this and focuses on the weaker aspects of Crackdown.

Flavius

I've already eaten some of my own words in this very thread. I've a feeling that most folks who dug the first Crackdown and began their post with something like "I've only played the demo once or twice..." will be joining me at the dinner table shortly.

This criticisms leveled at the game thus far are, for the most part, valid. But you know what? A few more play sessions in, and it won't fucking matter...cuz' it's still Crackdown!!!

Raxus

Sinatar said:
The appeal of Crackdown isn't the combat. It's a big sandbox where you can do all kinds of whacky shit (which is magnified in coop). It's only as boring as you are, unfortunately the demo isn't really a good representation of this and focuses on the weaker aspects of Crackdown.
This. Most people tend to forget how 'boring' crackdown can be outside of maxed out super heroes. I am waiting to play the game with some friends before I make any conclusions but from what I played in that tiny area towards the end of the demo I started to get the old crackdown vibe with my agility at level 4 and collecting orbs.

JdFoX187 said:
Hacks at Ruffian? These are the guys who made Crackdown. The majority of the Crackdown team left RTW to form Ruffian and make this. You need to go back and play the original game again. The shooting is the same.

According to Realtime Worlds the people at Ruffian are just contractors brought in at the very end of the project. Regardless of their involvement in Crackdown, it's clear that Ruffian didn't understand it and didn't like it very much. And I just played through Crackdown again a week ago so I am very familiar with how much better it is than this.

Struct09

I turned it off after 15 minutes. I really liked it, but since I know I'll be buying it anyway I'll just play the game when it comes out :)

played coop tonight and im liking it better now...also explored some of the other parts of the city where the graphics (textures) are better (the dock area isnt the best)...

Like it a lot, played through it twice to the time limit and that feeling of just starting to feel a little powerful at the end of the demo probably hooked me into a day one buy.

Seems a little too much like Crackdown to me. Was having some great times with mags earlier, making car staircases up building, skip hammocks and what not. I just don't think it adds enough from the previous game, they really should of added another 5 or so abilities to level and had it happen in an entirely different city. It's not a bad game by any means, just can't see it being worth the price of entry at the moment.

Havok

I don't understand the complaints about the melee being worse. They fixed my biggest problem with it: It now will actually hit dudes who are all around me instead of continuing to just stomp on a corpse over and over and over until I jam the stick in a direction. Best improvement ever :p

I do have some issues with the UI. There's no indication for how long the hit squads are going to last like the first game had. It's sorely needed, especially since you can now have three factions gunning for you: the Agency, Cell, and the freaks.

The magnetism when jumping is a little weird. I kind of prefer the first game's tenet of 'you have to be able to reach this ledge to grab it.' There are a few instances in the demo where you can see it suck the Agent up three or four feet.

Overall, I love it, just like I loved Crackdown. I hope that the limited number of combat activities (Take a stronghold, activate a beacon, detonate a Sunburst thingy) don't get too monotonous, but then again, I loved the first game where it was just assassination after assassination.

Also: I recommend doing the Weapons Factory freak lair instead of the nuclear plant. The entrance point is soooo much cooler.

Apparantly there's an infinite time glitch (from Gamefaqs):

Right before you select the color of your suit, press the standby button on your modem or just unplug the cable for second. It will tell you that you're not connected press B then press standby again or plug the cable back in and start the demo normally.

Rooftop races end it apparantly. Not sure if missions do. If anyone wants to check the thread for more info it's here

To get the upside-down turret achievement, my friend and I put a mag grenade on the bottom of an Agency bugie, drove the bugie to an underpass, stuck two mags on the underpass, and voila!

My first reaction was seriously, "what have they been doing for 2 years?"

It looks and feels exactly like the first one with the same disappointing melee. I'm super bummed but i hope once i am in the real game, the need/desire to collect orbs will kick in again. Knowing everything i did wouldn't carry over killed that need in the demo at least.

Mayyhem

Gamer @ Heart said:

It looks and feels exactly like the first one with the same disappointing melee. I'm super bummed but i hope once i am in the real game, the need/desire to collect orbs will kick in again. Knowing everything i did wouldn't carry over killed that need in the demo at least.
Exactly how I feel, don't think I'll play the demo more than once.

Lothars

CrazedArabMan said:
What is with people downplaying this demo, it's easily the same thing but better than C1. :lol

But things have evolved and C1 is good but it seems like Crackdown 2 hasn't evolved as much as it should?

I'm surprised at the amount of complaints. Everything you loved about Crackdown 1(minus the transforming cars) is still there, with 4 player co-op, new weapons, and new toys added on top of that.

I'm pretty sure all the complaints go away the instant you get 4 maxed out Agents doing the craziest things possible. People need to think beyond a 30 minute demo.

Sanic

After playing through the demo 5 times, i've decided i'm gonna hold off on buying the game day one. I like it, don't get me wrong, but I take issue with a lot of things others have pointed out, and it's not something I see myself investing a massive amount of time into because of that, so no need to spend $60.

eshwaaz

I am not a fan of the new explosion effects at all. The "smoky tendril" explosions from the first were much more distinctive and satisfying.

Dax01 said:
To get the upside-down turret achievement, my friend and I put a mag grenade on the bottom of an Agency bugie, drove the bugie to an underpass, stuck two mags on the underpass, and voila!
cool, thanks!

The first thing I thought when I played the demo was what happened to the graphics? Wouldnt there be advancement in that area? I miss the transforming cars, I know its stupid but also stupid that it got taken out.

Hard to judge on such a small time frame but I cant explore when I am being shot at all the time. I hope they didnt miss the point of what made C1 great.

JdFoX187

Banned
BobJustBob said:
According to Realtime Worlds the people at Ruffian are just contractors brought in at the very end of the project. Regardless of their involvement in Crackdown, it's clear that Ruffian didn't understand it and didn't like it very much. And I just played through Crackdown again a week ago so I am very familiar with how much better it is than this.
It seems odd both Microsoft and Ruffian were touting these were the guys who worked on the first game. Seems like RTW just not wanting to admit it. I don't see how you can say Crackdown has something mroe when this is just the same, except more. The hud is a little different, but that's about it. The melee is improved, the gunplay is exactly the same, the explosions are better and the agency voice is still hillarious. It seems like everything Crackdown was great at, only better. Nothing like jumping into a gang of freaks and just going all Jackie Chan on their asses.

Sanic

JdFoX187 said:
It seems odd both Microsoft and Ruffian were touting these were the guys who worked on the first game.

I have no idea if it's actually true or not, but why wouldn't they? Get's the fanbase more excited among other things.

-PXG-

It feels like Crackdown. Looks like Crackdown. Sounds like Crackdown. Hmmmm....It's only a demo, but I liked fighting the gangs more than the Cell and the freaks. I get the feeling that this game is even more repetitive than it's predecessor. Plus, the game looks like ass. This would be okay back in 2007, but not 2010.

I'll probably get it when it's cheap/ used later on...

soldat7

BobJustBob said:

You really don't have a clue, do you?

Kholdstare

Want infinite time?

1. Start the demo.
2. Choose your agent and his colour up until you press A to "deploy agent".
3. Disconnect from the internet. I personally pulled out the ethernet cable in the back.
4. Quickly press A after disconnecting from the internet. When trying to join the game is should pop up a menu saying that friends can't join because you're online or something.
5. Hit B to cancel.
6. Reconnect to the internet and start up another game.
7. Demo time remaining will be stuck at 30 minutes for as long as you don't start any races or things like that.

Co-op works too. :D

derFeef

BobJustBob said:
Too bad you are wrong on every point. Realtime Worlds is a shadow of its former self, Ruffian is the real deal. They made Crackdown and now they made more Crackdown, which makes me a happy Agent.

Gamer @ Heart said:

I heard this game was development for not even 1 1/2 years and that the staff is pretty small. Not sure if this is correct or not.

Aaron

FateBreaker said:
I heard this game was development for not even 1 1/2 years and that the staff is pretty small. Not sure if this is correct or not.
Ruffian said in an interview that the game had a eight month dev cycle. So yeah they got this one out quick.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
I am in love with the game. I knew the development circunstances and the end result is well beyong my expectations. It is still the best sandbox game out there IMO.

Kholdstare said:
Want infinite time?

1. Start the demo.
2. Choose your agent and his colour up until you press A to "deploy agent".
3. Disconnect from the internet. I personally pulled out the ethernet cable in the back.
4. Quickly press A after disconnecting from the internet. When trying to join the game is should pop up a menu saying that friends can't join because you're online or something.
5. Hit B to cancel.
6. Reconnect to the internet and start up another game.
7. Demo time remaining will be stuck at 30 minutes for as long as you don't start any races or things like that.

Co-op works too. :D

How would one go about disconnecting from the internet if they are using wifi with a new 360 that has a built-in wifi adapter?

Megadrive said:
Is there a GAF share account I can put my name onto the wait list for?
Share what? The demo has been available to everyone all day.

Played through it like 6 times today. Soooo much fun. While it's been a couple years I greatly enjoyed the first and only see improvements here. Seems just like the first, but runs super smooth, has 4 player, more weapons and gadgets and the freaks are super fun to plow through. Can't wait for the real thing.

soldat7

I've played through the demo twice now and I love it. Crackdown has a unique feel and rhythm, and once I spent about 15 minutes with it, I had my rhythm again (pinpoint landing, perfectly timed jumps, etc). So good.

Pre-order not canceled. :D

zero margin said:
Were you serious with that? Obviously it's not going to tell you what the icons are every time you run past one in the game. lol @ menacing voice tone. You were reaching for complaints a little imo.

What, exactly, about my post, makes it seem like I am not serious? A major feature that made the original Crackdown stand out has seemingly been removed and the sequel is worse for it. I don't have to "reach" for anything.

Jex

The fist thing that sticks out is the appaling UI - far less clear and easy to work with then in Crackdown 1.

Screw having to get that close to agility orbs, very annoying.

Targeting still not fixed, two years later?

At least night is fun, but I would have expected more since it's been two years since Crackdown 1.

The game also looks fairly poor in 2010. You get the feeling they just took the engine/mechanics and didn't do much apart from re-model some buildings and throw in a lot more action.

Which would be alright, if some things such as targeting weren't still fundamentally broken. That should have been something fixed before all this other nonsense.

Aaron said:
Ruffian said in an interview that the game had a eight month dev cycle. So yeah they got this one out quick.

That would explain a lot. It shows. Badly.

nubbe

I was expecting the agency to be the enemy in the sequel given how the first one ended.

It feels like something is missing but I can't quite put my finger on it... it is probably just the time limit that throws me off since I am used to be able to take my time and fuck around.
30min limit is quite a downer.

Top Bottom