• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crackdown 3 delayed to February 2019

Three

In terms of Sony's actual first party output (ignore the Japanese default 3rd party exclusives) is this actually all that true?

Honest question. In 2018 I can think of Spider-man and God of War with Spider-man kind of being a 3rd party deal. Xbox had Sea of Thieves, Forza Horizon 4 and State of Decay 2.

Sony's first party only put out God of War this year. Unless I'm mistaken

You're absolutely correct. Fanboys don't want to hear all that though.

Collingwood is absolutely incorrect, if you want to go full list wars in a Crackdown thread at least get it right. Sony put out God of war, MLB: The Show, Detriot: become human and Spiderman this year. That's even when you limit it the way you have by 'first party' otherwise you would get about 100 more games like Yukuza, Tetris effect, ni no kuni, etc. Also State of Decay WAS 'kind of a third party deal' too, not to mention two of those 3 games sucked. Somebody just mentioned they have been smashing out content on the platform, there is no point in putting up artificial business restrictions on games you can play and turn it into incorrect list wars.

Anyway back on topic:

I have now seen Crackdown 3: Campaign and Crackdown 3: New Providence

Would that make New Providence the multiplayer part? Maybe they changed it so that they will release part of the game now and announce at X018

Last edited:

highrider

Banned
In terms of Sony's actual first party output (ignore the Japanese default 3rd party exclusives) is this actually all that true?

Honest question. In 2018 I can think of Spider-man and God of War with Spider-man kind of being a 3rd party deal. Xbox had Sea of Thieves, Forza Horizon 4 and State of Decay 2.

Sony's first party only put out God of War this year. Unless I'm mistaken

Horizon Zero Dawn, God of War, and Spiderman are considerably more compelling games to me than Sea of Thieves or State of Decay, wouldn’t put them at anywhere the quality level of Sony stuff. Horizon is a good game, but open world arcade racers are kind of meh for me. State of Decay is like a free to play quality level imo, Sea of Thieves is like, really Rare, after how many years this is what you have? So numbers of exclusives are great, but quality is better.

Last edited:

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
Cancelled my preorder from 2016. I'll play on game pass, not sure how this will turn out.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Horizon Zero Dawn, God of War, and Spiderman are considerably more compelling games to me than Sea of Thieves or State of Decay, wouldn’t put them at anywhere the quality level of Sony stuff. Horizon is a good game, but open world arcade racers are kind of meh for me. State of Decay is like a free to play quality level imo, Sea of Thieves is like, really Rare, after how many years this is what you have? So numbers of exclusives are great, but quality is better.

The quality of the games is an entirely separate argument and total goal post shifting.

I was talking about games made by a first party studio.

highrider

Banned
The quality of the games is an entirely separate argument and total goal post shifting.

I was talking about games made by a first party studio.

I think the effort put in to those games and the value is relevant. I can grab some guys off the street and say they’re an NBA team, but that doesn’t mean you’re going to have parity with other NBA teams.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
I think the effort put in to those games and the value is relevant. I can grab some guys off the street and say they’re an NBA team, but that doesn’t mean you’re going to have parity with other NBA teams.

But the fact that Sea of Thieves and State of Decay didn't review as well as God of War and Spider-man doesn't mean they don't count as first party games that released in 2018.

Because....they did

Foxbat

Banned
You are seriously positing that the exclusive content between the two is the same? I just see a huge quality difference.

I'm not positing anything. In 2018 Sony has released God of War, Spiderman, and Detroit. There are other third party games as well, but the discussion at hand was pointed at first party. While Spiderman, and Detroit weren't really first party devs, we'll count them anyway.

Meanwhile MS released Sea of Thieves, State of Decay 2, and Forza Horizon 4 as it's big first party hitters this year. While Undead Labs wasnt technically first party when SoD 2 released, it is now.

I'm merely pointing out that to suggest as some people do that Sony releases all these games while MS does not is patently false. You may prefer the games on PS4, or the games on XB1. That is simply one's opinion, but to suggest that one has games while the other does not is just being deceptive.

Foxbat

Banned

You're off on two critical points here bud.
1. I think the effort put into those games and the VALUE is relevant as well. I got bored of God of War, Detroit was more movie than game, and Spiderman while fun for a week or so, wore thin fast.
I logged more hours in Sea of Thieves than all three of those games combined. I will log faaaar more hours into FH4 than all the previously mentioned games put together. That's the literal definition of value to me.

2. You can grab some guys off the street, but you couldnt honestly claim they were an NBA team, as they would not be recognized by the NBA itself. Starting an NBA team (Despite how good or bad they are) takes a bit more than just grabbing some guys. It's a bad analogy.

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
I'm not positing anything. In 2018 Sony has released God of War, Spiderman, and Detroit. There are other third party games as well, but the discussion at hand was pointed at first party. While Spiderman, and Detroit weren't really first party devs, we'll count them anyway.

Meanwhile MS released Sea of Thieves, State of Decay 2, and Forza Horizon 4 as it's big first party hitters this year. While Undead Labs wasnt technically first party when SoD 2 released, it is now.

I'm merely pointing out that to suggest as some people do that Sony releases all these games while MS does not is patently false. You may prefer the games on PS4, or the games on XB1. That is simply one's opinion, but to suggest that one has games while the other does not is just being deceptive.

You're also quick to forget other sony's studio and other sony games.
Because Astrobot is a first party like frantics and a lot of others VR games for example but you also forgot MLB and japan studios in general.
It is easy to just get tunnel vision and not think of what's coming soon, everybody agrees that sony is firing all cylinders and that they are putting great games after great games, the same can't be said about microsoft on this gen.
You may like their line up more that's great but diminishing sony's first party to 3 games is forgetting quite a lot of smaller games.Besides thay're not coming after a 2017 of drought.

You're also quick to forget other sony's studio and other sony games.
Because Astrobot is a first party like frantics and a lot of others VR games for example but you also forgot MLB and japan studios in general.
It is easy to just get tunnel vision and not think of what's coming soon, everybody agrees that sony is firing all cylinders and that they are putting great games after great games, the same can't be said about microsoft on this gen.
You may like their line up more that's great but diminishing sony's first party to 3 games is forgetting quite a lot of smaller games.Besides thay're not coming after a 2017 of drought.

Astrobot looks great but is only really catered to 5% of the userbase. Still counts of course. MLB is aways good but gets forgotten due to being basically an annual release with minimal upgrades. Spiderman looks awesome. Detroit I couldn't give a shit about. God of War another awesome title.

The thing is Sony does not output a ton of stuff. Yes these last two years have been stellar but it takes them about 2 years in before they get their groove on.

The point is Microsoft has released titles too but ask we keep hearing is theirs no games. The trolling however just never ends. Even in a Crackdown 3 topic here we are talking about Sony's games.

This game looks like fun and the cloud technology is real. Curious about the offline mode though.

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
Astrobot looks great but is only really catered to 5% of the userbase. Still counts of course. MLB is aways good but gets forgotten due to being basically an annual release with minimal upgrades. Spiderman looks awesome. Detroit I couldn't give a shit about. God of War another awesome title.

The thing is Sony does not output a ton of stuff. Yes these last two years have been stellar but it takes them about 2 years in before they get their groove on.

The point is Microsoft has released titles too but ask we keep hearing is theirs no games. The trolling however just never ends. Even in a Crackdown 3 topic here we are talking about Sony's games.

This game looks like fun and the cloud technology is real. Curious about the offline mode though.

Yeah I do agree that console wars are stupid and frankly I wouldn't have answered if you weren't factually wrong ignoring those first party.
Other than that I'm pretty disapointed with what I saw.The game is running on an Xbox X and it still doesn't look good.
The destruction does seems scaled back by a wide margin and maybe adding a lot of boost to the damage weapon deals to structure would make it a bit more enjoyable anyway I will probably try it at a friend's house out of curiosity but I don't think the game will be great.
And I hoped it would be especially after the disaster of Crackdown 2.

highrider

Banned
You're off on two critical points here bud.
1. I think the effort put into those games and the VALUE is relevant as well. I got bored of God of War, Detroit was more movie than game, and Spiderman while fun for a week or so, wore thin fast.
I logged more hours in Sea of Thieves than all three of those games combined. I will log faaaar more hours into FH4 than all the previously mentioned games put together. That's the literal definition of value to me.

2. You can grab some guys off the street, but you couldnt honestly claim they were an NBA team, as they would not be recognized by the NBA itself. Starting an NBA team (Despite how good or bad they are) takes a bit more than just grabbing some guys. It's a bad analogy.
That’s cool, but it doesn’t change the fact that to a lot more people think the Sony exclusives are better, more desirable games. This is also reflected in games media, reviews etc. As I said, I play Xbox exclusively, was super disappointed in Xbox exclusives the last two years. If not for game pass and backward compatibility I probably would barely play it.

Lol at ‘ bud ‘, like you’re trying to son me or something 😂

Last edited:

Shmunter

Crackdown 1 was one of those special generation defining games for me. Together with Gears, Re5, Mass Effect 1 and a few others.

Hope they hit it out of the park with this, but it will be difficult to live up to those golden times.

Last edited:
So, Gears 5 is going to be the first triple A exclusive in 3 fucking years? 2017, 2018, 2019 that's ridiculous, what the fuck is the xbox division doing outside of forza? The last one was what, quantum break or gears 4? unbelievable. Crackdown 3 will be Just like SoT and SoD, I hope i'm Wrong.

Last edited:

Zimmy68

Has the game gone gold yet? February is a week away and I haven't seen a second of gameplay from the release version.
That doesn't bode well.
It looks like they are turning it into Sea of Theives, more of a GamePass seller then real release.

Sparda

Banned
So, Gears 5 is going to be the first triple A exclusive in 3 fucking years? 2017, 2018, 2019 that's ridiculous, what the fuck is the xbox division doing outside of forza? The last one was what, quantum break or gears 4? unbelievable. Crackdown 3 will be Just like SoT and SoD, I hope i'm Wrong.
They are complacent because xbox diehard fans accept everything and they are happy if ms is rich. Lol

Last edited:

Ornoku

Everyone talking poorly about Sea of Theives should reevaluate their stance on the game. There's tons of people playing it, tons of people watching it on twitch. It's been supported with tons of free content. Forza Horizon 4 is one of the best racing games ever made, if you have a pc capable of running it I suggest you give it a try. It's one of the best rated game on metacritic last year and is generally a lot of fun. Give these games a try you won't regret it.

MS were never going to throw the kitchen sink at exclusives this gen because they lost it badly regardless. It’s if they don’t do it next generation that people need to worry, but it looks like things will be fine.

Three

Everyone talking poorly about Sea of Theives should reevaluate their stance on the game. There's tons of people playing it, tons of people watching it on twitch. It's been supported with tons of free content. Forza Horizon 4 is one of the best racing games ever made, if you have a pc capable of running it I suggest you give it a try. It's one of the best rated game on metacritic last year and is generally a lot of fun. Give these games a try you won't regret it.
Sea of thieves is a microtransaction ridden shallow game and frankly some people are too kind to it if you ask me. FH4 I agree with though.

Ornoku

Sea of thieves is a microtransaction ridden shallow game and frankly some people are too kind to it if you ask me. FH4 I agree with though.
I haven't spent a dime on the game beyond paying for gamepass. I have pretty much anything I want in the game which didn't take a ton of effort. It's a fun multiplayer game that a lot of people seem to be enjoying.

Three

I haven't spent a dime on the game beyond paying for gamepass. I have pretty much anything I want in the game which didn't take a ton of effort. It's a fun multiplayer game that a lot of people seem to be enjoying.
Sure and a lot of people don't spend a dime on say CoC and a bunch of people play it but it's still a microtransaction infested game. I would say CoC has more depth than Sea of thieves even. Player numbers have dwindled anyway by the looks of things. Especially since FH. I'm guessing all the GP subscribers moved on to the next game.

Last edited:

That's the issue with Sea of Thieves though. It put forward a terrible first impression at launch. YouTube and Twitter were plastered with bad reviews, rant videos, and people losing their shit over the game. It looked buggy, gameplay looked repetitive, and frankly it looked like an unfinished product much like No Man's Sky when it launched. That's the impression I got so I skipped on the game despite being extremely excited for a pirate game where you work together as a crew. I moved on and never paid much attention to the game since then.

I could reevaluate my stance, but I have a backlog of games that I want to play and Sea of Thieves is no longer one of them. It shouldn't have been released as it was, it clearly needed more time in the oven. If they had waited until it was done it would be a feather in their cap, but most people only know SoT from it's launch, not the fixes and updates that came after that.

Three

Lol "by the look of things". Please get informed .
Read the article or maybe do a search. it floated around 10,000 ('way below' actually) throughout 2018. twitch is also just twitch not people playing the fucking game but watching somebody they are subscribed to playing it. I fully expect it to have seen a small increase during GP $1 sale and content drop too but player numbers dropped hard since launch.

Last edited:

MDSLKTR

Read the article or maybe do a search. it floated around 10,000 ('way below' actually) throughout 2018. twitch is also just twitch not people playing the fucking game but watching somebody they are subscribed to playing it. I fully expect it to have seen a small increase during GP $1 sale and content drop too but player numbers dropped hard since launch.
I've read the article. Did you? Top seller on windows store above Minecraft live. In 2019. Doc and ninja are streaming it too. It has a resurgence like NMS had last year.

Three

I've read the article. Did you? Top seller on windows store above Minecraft live. In 2019. Doc and ninja are streaming it too. It has a resurgence like NMS had last year.
Yeah I read it. It was a top seller on windows store because windows store sucks and the only reason to buy from there is playanywhere. You would see that the games that top that store are first party games but where was it on the actual xbox store? Not even top 40.

I'm not here to argue about the player count even. It has dwindled since the launch months. The game may have seen a resurgence in December because its December and there were GP $1 sales and an update. I'm just saying it's shallow and full of microtransactions. Even a game as popular as Fortnite or CoC gets a lot of shit here but surprisingly people have been kind to Sea of thieves for far worse.

Last edited:

RavenSan

Off-Site Inflammatory Member

Sea of Thieves doesn't have microtransactions.

fATMFOq.gif

n0razi

All I want from Microsoft is MCC on PC

Pantz

"Feels like Crackdown."
"I kind of ignore version 2."
"I say it feels like Crackdown not to downplay it."
"It's Crackdown. If you don't like Crackdown you're probably not going to like this game. If you love Crackdown I think you will like this game."
"I thought we overplayed at the launch of the game for not necessarily the right reasons, cloud, cloud, was the game. It's gotta be game, game first."

-Phil Spencer on the latest Major Nelson podcast today.

Just some snips from the podcast, take it for what you will.

Iced Arcade

Me and a friend threw on Crackdown online co-op the other day in anticipation for 3... god damn i forgot how fun this game is.

Calibos

Yeah I read it. It was a top seller on windows store because windows store sucks and the only reason to buy from there is playanywhere. You would see that the games that top that store are first party games but where was it on the actual xbox store? Not even top 40.

I'm not here to argue about the player count even. It has dwindled since the launch months. The game may have seen a resurgence in December because its December and there were GP $1 sales and an update. I'm just saying it's shallow and full of microtransactions. Even a game as popular as Fortnite or CoC gets a lot of shit here but surprisingly people have been kind to Sea of thieves for far worse.

giphy.gif

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
"Feels like Crackdown."
"I kind of ignore version 2."
"I say it feels like Crackdown not to downplay it."
"It's Crackdown. If you don't like Crackdown you're probably not going to like this game. If you love Crackdown I think you will like this game."
"I thought we overplayed at the launch of the game for not necessarily the right reasons, cloud, cloud, was the game. It's gotta be game, game first."

-Phil Spencer on the latest Major Nelson podcast today.

Just some snips from the podcast, take it for what you will.
Yeah I heard that as well. He is basically saying what we have all known for years. It's not going to be very good. It doesn't look like they are even going to bother marketing it.

Gavon West

Spread's Cheeks for Intrusive Ads
Yeah I heard that as well. He is basically saying what we have all known for years. It's not going to be very good. It doesn't look like they are even going to bother marketing it.
Thats not what he's saying? WTH?? How the hell did you get that far off base??

There's a previewer who said that people may be very surprised (in a good way) based on some the previews he's read so far. Maybe he's really saying, "this game makes people wanna play Barbie goes Trout Fishing"

Jesus....some of you guys try too hard.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
Thats not what he's saying? WTH?? How the hell did you get that far off base??

There's a previewer who said that people may be very surprised (in a good way) based on some the previews he's read so far. Maybe he's really saying, "this game makes people wanna play Barbie goes Trout Fishing"

Jesus....some of you guys try too hard.
Did you actually listen to the podcast? He basically said with words and tone "don't expect much".

Top Bottom