• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crackdown 3 uses cloud-based physics processing to enable environmental destruction

mocoworm

This is what I am allowed to share.

sequenz010wuvh.gif

Running in real-time on XBO. Very early wip, so don't care for the lighting and so on. It is a very basic frequency test where the grass splines update 12 times a second. This is nothing special so far. The cool thing is tho that the start and endpoints of our splines influenced by wind and objects are being calculated by Azure. This means: the physic calculations you see are costing us pretty much no local power (excluding GPU ofc). We can use the saved power for other things - like AI, animations and so on. We are very proud of it - especially since we completely eliminated any chance of clipping. I just wanted to add that here.

And no, this won't be a golf/grass/whatever simulator - I just thought maybe it is interesting to see;)

I know GAF "in general" is very pessimistic about the cloud. And yes, somehow I can understand that - because so far, there weren't that much games that really took advantage of server calculations. To be honest, no new-gen so far really did (Titanfall touched 5% of the possibilities ...). And this is also why I try to be very careful about the words I choose.

No. You can not boost your games resolution with Azure. And no. You can not create better lighting effects with Azure. But, if you focus on it, you can still boost the overall graphical look of your game by a mile. We are currently creating a game. But in fact, we are kind of creating two-in-one. One with Azure available, and one for offline only. Everything you code, you need to code for two scenerarios. This is a ton of work. if online = dynamic grass; if offline=static grass ... To say it very simple. And so on.That's why we are currently thinking about going "online-only". But to be very open to you, we have some fear about that. Obviously. The gaming community is very careful when they hear "online-only" ... Games like Sim City simply ... Well, did it wrong.

It's the perfect excuse to make every single xbone exclusive game always online because ''we need the cloud to process this amazing AI/environment/some other bullshit, otherwise the experience would not be the same''.

you can already say that with cloud AI and huge multiplayer worlds, cloud storage and updates. These have been available for years and years. But its still not happening.

Trup1aya

It's the perfect excuse to make every single xbone exclusive game always online because ''we need the cloud to process this amazing AI/environment/some other bullshit, otherwise the experience would not be the same''.

There's no economically sound reason to make EVERY game require online features... The market wouldn't respond well to it. Sure there may be some games that go this route, if that's what it takes to allow the developer to realize it's vision... but it will never be all...

This slippery slope argument needs to stop... It's baseless... MS sells a lot of games to people who like to play offline and they know that now more than ever...

ktynn

Banned
I was not impressed with the Crackdown physics demo. All I could see was the more detailed destruction from Infamous Second Son, combined with the architecture challenges of Red Faction Guerrilla.

At least Guerrilla developers explained how they realized very soon that they would need to build physically plausible buildings - because simple boxes would collapse under their own weight.

I see none of that in Crackdown 3. It's all to do with micro-destruction, not macro. Adding more smoke effects to a building falling down does not make for a better game. I remain skeptical.

Your examples are offline and smaller in scale... Not sure if you are trolling.

That was his prior work which go out on hold when he joined the CD3 team. He was about 95% right in everything he said about the game, so I ignore Dave putting him down because his studios aren't the only ones working on it. It was more a back handed let us release info through me. I did a post two days ago summarizing all his posts which were on point with what they were doing.

Public relations (PR) is the practice of managing the spread of information between an individual or an organization (such as a business, government agency, or a nonprofit organization) and the public.

I know well what PR means. Asking you to specify which PR guy you're referring to, as I want to know who said it's not yet even playable.

Interfectum

Sounds like servers in a room to me. Things we have for decades. Bandwith is what allows server made calculations to be incorporated "live" in a client application.

But why take this half assed approach? Just pull a gaikai/onlive and calculate everything on the servers. Why limit yourself with a weak client and fool "tech" journalists into dumb statements?

No. I'd rather have the local machine utilize the assets while a cloud machine does the heavy lifting. I don't want a compressed video of what I'm doing.

Trup1aya

I was not impressed with the Crackdown physics demo. All I could see was the more detailed destruction from Infamous Second Son, combined with the architecture challenges of Red Faction Guerrilla.

At least Guerrilla developers explained how they realized very soon that they would need to build physically plausible buildings - because simple boxes would collapse under their own weight.

I see none of that in Crackdown 3. It's all to do with micro-destruction, not macro. Adding more smoke effects to a building falling down does not make for a better game. I remain skeptical.

It's funny you say that... Because in the crackdown demo, the developer goes into detail about how every building was build physically, with contrete, wood, and glass built around a metallic superstructure, on a solid foundation. When the demolished occurs, building materials break and crumble accoring to the forces exacted on them and their unique physical characteristics, and can cause chain reactions with nearby structures...

The smoke effects are the least effective thing taking place here... If you truly bothered to pay attention to what's going on.

Smattering of posts. Newest at top. Was pretty much on point with the Crackdown stuff. He took himself out when Dave showed up and everyone called BS, but I think it was unwarranted considering the fact that he was correct and their team has been awful at communication and he was the only one giving any insight into the basic questions we are asking.

Honestly ... Would be a blast :D So good childhood memories ... But no. Current project is Crackdown.

Gameplay from Gigantic in about 30 mins: http://www.twitch.tv/twitch

This is the last comment I will make in a Rare thread prior to E3:

1) if there ever was a chance old-school Rare fans will be satisfied with current Rare-work, this time is this year.
2) that rumor has two legit and one wrong points, which leads me to the impression he just guessed. I don't know for sure tho. Things can change pretty fast in this industry so I can't make a final comment on this one.
3) Classic Rare IPs will return. Yes, more than just Killer Instinct.
4) If you guys aren't somewhat satisfied after E3 .... Kill me with fire.

You don't concentrate on risks. You concentrate on results. No risk is too great to prevent the necessary job from getting done. (Chuck Yeager).

If a new IP would've been created just to show the tech ... Do you really think this IP would've ever had the chance to create its own identity? The game would've probably being overshadowed by the tech itself. And that's about it. This is exactly what we don't want. It's okay if Crackdown will be a kind of flagship-title for cloud computing. We understand that and this is fine. In the end tho it's the game and its unique identity that matters the most. Not the tech. Every single decision is being made in favor of the Crackdown identity.

I can not confirm things like this right here, I'm sorry.

It's not about replacing fundamental game features that are connected to the Crackdowns identity anyway but adding another dynamical layer of possible satisfication moments. Crackdowns unique identity first. Everything else (tech etc.) second.

It's not like "okay, we got this cool tech - which IP would fit to it?". It was more like "Okay, Crackdown needs to return - but what can we do to take it one step further". You pretty much already had the same Crackdown experience in two titles. So why not try something new here.

As communicated at E3 already the plan is to have pretty much every object on screen dynamically destructible (with a few exceptions here and there, ground, key points and buildings and so on). If you can see it - you should be able to destroy it. I mean, going the physic-calculation outsourcing way is high-risk - high-reward, so if we do it, why not directly go all-in at that point. Obviously at some point there needs to be a kind of "reset" - or sooner than later the whole city would be just ... Gone. Overstated obv. Again, "the plan is ...". Plans can change. But that's where it's right now. The real challenge isn't the destruction itself. It's about making big booms relevant to the gameplay. That's the message of the trailer. This process needs time due to so many dynamic things that can happen.

Interesting take, but personally I don't think it would really fit to the gameplay style of Crackdown. I'm sorry, I don't see this one coming. Still - thanks!

I agree. Any concrete ideas here? The transformations already were a step in the right direction imo. More raw power maybe? Or maybe car abilities?

While I understand your concern, let's look at the other side of this medal. This is a general statement by the way. Destruction does not only mean you delete pre-defined pathes in your game world. You can also use destructible objects to create alternative or even completely new pathes. Do you agree?

As an example, look at the E3 teaser again. While obviously pre-rendered, maybe have a closer look at the gameplay elements shown there. If used correctly, environments can be used to create new ways or even paths to new areas you couldn't reach before. It is a teaser with exaggerated content, but the message for the game is shown right there. You can go in, having some fun and go BOOM! Or you can go in, remain having some fun, think about what you want to achieve - and then you go BOOM :)

Simple example. Imagine you see an orb - and with the existing environment there is no way you can reach that green little ball. So you have to begin to think about what you can do. Maybe the designer wants you to blow things up and find your own way here? In these kind of situations, the platforming aspect remains the same. We just went one step further in this very simple example. From here, you can transfer this example on much more complex gameplay situations - like in the teaser trailer, where you just made a BOOM for the truck that goes BOOM afterwards - resulting in an even bigger BOOM and a collapsing building.

Sometimes it's just fun to blow shit up. I think you agree on this ;) The challenge is to make the destructible environments also relevant to the gameplay.

Jumping from rooftop to rooftop while always searching these orbs, being this overpowered human thing. This is, in short, the Crackdown experience for me. As I stated earlier, this is also why I expected more "platforming" answers. But maybe this answer was too obvious and too connected with the franchise already. However, it's about adding another layer to that concept. Giving you a much more dynamic experience.

That gif has nothing to do with Crackdown by the way. It was an older project. That project is on ice right now. I don't know if it will ever see the light of day. That said, the things I learned there are important for everything coming in the future.

One more thing is very important to me. I can communicate here - that's totally fine. Obviously I can not share any "new" things - but at least some backgrounds and insights. Communication is important to understand expectations and doubts of the targeted community in my opinion. Also - and I am just honest at that point - it motivates me personally to see excitement and getting direct input. However, I already notice comments twisting my words and/or interpreting too much into them. Let's just be fair to each other and we are cool! :)

Crackdown is an ambitious project. Personally, I want you to love that game. Because my own passion for the universe is huge.

Keep posting your ideas or wishes for the next installment. The people involved are reading them. Really.

It has.

It is.

Thanks - I agree.

Cloudgine = tech; the team developing the actual game will be announced at a later date.

driver116

There was some neat destruction elements in Shadowfall - the wall shooting, glass, and melting crates.

glaurung

It's funny you say that... Because in the crackdown demo, the developer goes into detail about how every building was build physically, with contrete, wood, and glass built around a metallic superstructure, on a solid foundation. When the demolished occurs, building materials break and crumble accoring to the forces exacted on them and their unique physical characteristics, and can cause chain reactions with nearby structures...

The smoke effects are the least effective thing taking place here... If you truly bothered to pay attention to what's going on.
Hmm. I may need to rewatch that stuff.

I find it interesting that only in a post-mortem dissection can we understand just how much Kampf was right about. Pretty interesting.

Sad that an employment snafu got him banned though, because as far as I'm concerned, K was far more reliable over the past year or so than CBOAT was.

I find it interesting that only in a post-mortem dissection can we understand just how much Kampf was right about. Pretty interesting.

Sad that an employment snafu got him banned though, because as far as I'm concerned, K was far more reliable over the past year or so than CBOAT was.

Kampfheld talked alot about Rare, which makes me think that Sea Of Thieves will use the cloud, too.
Maybe this could explain the ridiculously good looking water in the E3 trailer.

An employment snafu didn't get him banned. Bish banned him because he just said he was an indie developer, and started working on CD last year. I don't see any reason why that was ban worthy without asking for some sort of verification. DaveJ came in with a hammer, but he was proven correct because Kamp said he worked at a studio that was working on that game which hadn't been named which is correct. Kamp likely didn't work under DaveJ because they are such a small team and have Sumo doing a lot of work.

He essentially asked to be banned in his sign off post, unfortunately. I don't know if they even made an attempt to understand where he worked now or if the DaveJ post was a killer even though Kamp was technically correct in what he stated about where he worked. We will never know the details that went on behind the scenes.

However, we now sit in a spot where we have no additional information on the tech because he was banned and there are questions flying around with no one here to provide context. ReAgent isn't saying anything outside of these demos and they don't have any community interaction plan. Its really odd. He never said things that would get them in trouble and he was careful with what he revealed.

Kampfheld talked alot about Rare, which makes me think that Sea Of Thieves will use the cloud, too.
Maybe this could explain the ridiculously good looking water in the E3 trailer.

He talked about Rare, but only in passing. He loved their games and said that everyone would be excited about stuff at E3 from old IPs. He was right because they revealed Rare Replay.

He said last year he began working on Crackdown and he was on point with his comments about the game. I hope he still lurks here. Was one of the more informative posters and willing to wade into it to provide people with some exciting information while holding back the big stuff.

Journey

Banned
Here we go again, the generalisations have arrived.

I find it interesting when these comments come up. If 90% of replies are making fun of cloud compute or going as far as calling it a blatant lie, nothing but PR fluff that will never happen... wouldn't you call that "General"? In fact I think I'm being conservative about that 90% number, because not too long ago, if there were a small percentage of posters who actually believed in the tech, they would be astrocized. But, but we shouldn't generalize! Gaf may not be a hive mind, but there's definitely a general character here compared to other forums, some good and some bad, but definitely many things that can be generalized. Gif reactions cannot be beat and is one of the great things, but the dark size can be really ugly.

I find it interesting when these comments come up. If 90% of replies are making fun of cloud compute or going as far as calling it a blatant lie, nothing but PR fluff that will never happen... wouldn't you call that "General"? In fact I think I'm being conservative about that 90% number, because not too long ago, if there were a small percentage of posters who actually believed in the tech, they would be astrocized. But, but we shouldn't generalize! Gaf may not be a hive mind, but there's definitely a general character here compared to other forums, some good and some bad, but definitely many things that can be generalized. Gif reactions cannot be beat and is one of the great things, but the dark size can be really ugly.

Well, at least now when people start trashing "the power of the cloud" and "secret sauce", we can start pointing them to the many Crackdown 3 threads with HD video proof.

Honestly, that whole meme is dissolving in front of our eyes. It's been quite an interesting week on GAF.

shoreu

Amazing computing power our record was 15 times the xbox one!

Well 15 xboxone's can't take this magical floating sky brick island down.

PR bullshit .
nice demo at the end but dear god...

lol man just let it go and let us discuss the game. No one cares that you think its pr go troll elsewhere

SgtCobra

My post wasn't about the statements that were ridiculised some time ago it's just that I swear some people think that this whole forum has an agenda against their Xboxes and its brand and that's not true.

What I actually find interesting is that some people seem to be upset or baffled by the fact that the best selling console of the three has more "supporters" online, the only defense some of these guys throw is "[insert website here] hates the Xbox!" Or in your case "there seems to be a preference to a certain console"
Well, duh? The PS4 is far more popular WW and it's only logical that it translates to gaming boards, especially a big one like NeoGAF full of different members from all over the world. You know how the Xbox One is selling outside the US so it makes even more sense that the Xbox brand is not that well represented over here in comparison with Nintendo and Sony's stuff.
Did you visit this forum last gen between 2005-2010? It's all about the demographic and consumers.
But that we, as in "NeoGAF" hate the Xbox is absurd.

EvB

Did you visit this forum last gen between 2005-2010? It's all about the demographic and consumers.
But that we, as in "NeoGAF" hate the Xbox is absurd.

You say that, but the phrase SonyGAF was coined long before the PS4. Long before the PS4 was a success. The only real difference now is that it was much easier to be critical about Microsoft and the Xbox One than it was the 360.

SgtCobra

You say that, but the phrase SonyGAF was coined long before the PS4. Long before the PS4 was a success. The only real difference now is that it was much easier to be critical about Microsoft and the Xbox One than it was the 360.
What does some stupid phrase made by salty fanboys have to do with the fact that the Xbox 360 was the preferred console over here last gen? (In the timeframe I mentioned earlier)
It's a fact, I have no numbers to back it up or something but that's just how things went back then when people ridiculed Sony and the PS3 a lot for some time, in exactly the same way and much deservedly so.
Now the tables are turned even though the Xbox One's "pre-PS3 Slim" moment is pretty much over now.

Synth

Seems extraordinarily wasteful and unimpressive to me.

See this post right here?... This is how we ended up with p2p online for every game.

What does some stupid phrase made by salty fanboys have to do with the fact that the Xbox 360 was the preferred console over here last gen? (In the timeframe I mentioned earlier)
It's a fact, I have no numbers to back it up or something but that's just how things went back then when people ridiculed Sony and the PS3 a lot for some time, in exactly the same way and much deservedly so.
Now the tables are turned even though the Xbox One's "pre-PS3 Slim" moment is pretty much over now.

To be fair... if you have no numbers, but are happy to state this as fact, then you're really not doing any better a job than anyone claiming that the site leans Sony. After all, the PS3 wasn't actually getting outsold last gen. If GAF should reflect the US, then there would be more of a balance between X1 and PS4 here today, and if it should reflect global, then it should have leaned PS3 last gen too (which I'd argue it did). One thing I'm definitely unconvinced of however, is that it was anywhere near as difficult to discuss anything PS3 related as it is to discuss anything X1 related today. Not even the Wii U has that sort of issue here atm.

oldergamer

\\

What the fuck is going on here.
Is the Xbone hate that deep that people cant help themselves but hate.
This is beyond console war-ism.

both of you guys need to grow some balls get back in this thread and expand on your comments if you dare.

You guys seem to have missed a very important point.
The full destruction is only in MP, MP is only playable online.....so if you disconnect from the net you would be disconnected from the game. The online session i mean.

Cloud computing only for Multiplayer online multiplayer.

If you want to play single player, go HAM, cloud computing doesnt affect it at all.

The Xbox One is seemingly public enemy number 1 on GAF, it cant do anything right, even when its doing shit right.

This has been happening often since Tuesday. Well, it happened before, but there's nothing that the xbox can do right in some peoples eyes.

Seventy70

This looks cool, but do buildings really fall apart like that when you shoot a machine gun at them? They should make it a little more realistic. It just seems a little too ridiculous right now.

Raide

This looks cool, but do buildings really fall apart like that when you shoot a machine gun at them? They should make it a little more realistic. It just seems a little too ridiculous right now.

They mentioned in the footage that the weapons were OP in order to speed up the damage process and show things off a bit more. Also, its a video game. And Crackdown did have some crazy weapons later on, so utter destruction is not that crazy.

Top Bottom